What's new

GPM's What are they called in English?

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I have a bit of a history with this term.

A (former) good friend of mine, Richard Hernandez, who was on staff with me at Bent's Riverside Mission, and was in the Sea Org at about the same time called me one day decades later, and I guess tried to recruit me for his pre-OT.

I won't bore you with the details of this argument. Suffice to say, he played dirty and after I shot down every one of his points, he then hit me with GeePeeEms. I have to admit that I wasn't completely up on what that was at the time, so I asked him to explain it. Of course he didn't and just used it as a mystery sandwich to smugly claim that this proves nothing I had to say had any value. Typical.

So I studied up on it. He 'disconnected' after I told him there was no way I was ever going to submit to any sort of Scientology, so I never got to retort.

But in a nutshell, this is what I've concluded from my research:

Hubbard was an 'Ultra-Thelemist'. What that is is another discussion, but basically it's a person who follows Aleister Crowley's philosophy (OK, he didn't invent it, he just elaborated on it) of 'Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law' which is the prime aphorism that describes this belief.

An 'Ultra-Thelemist' was defined for me as someone who is so Thelemic that they considers that his (or her) will to do something automatically gives them the right to do it.

Got your tech dictionaries handy? Look up 'Goals Problems Mass' Look at his description of this. Two fire hoses shooting water at each other? Simply put, it's your will to do something being opposed and thwarted. He not only suggests that this is the root cause of all problems, but that the resistance to one's will is being orchestrated by 'a conglomeration of entities which are counter-opposed'.

So Thelemic. In fact, 'Ultra' Thelemic.

However, I agree with him.

Yes, his 'intention' or 'will' as Crowley called it was indeed being thwarted by a conglomeration of counter-imposed entities. And thank God for that.

Comments?

Last edited:

A (former) good friend of mine, Richard Hernandez, who was on staff with me at Bent's Riverside Mission, and was in the Sea Org at about the same time called me one day decades later, and I guess tried to recruit me for his pre-OT.

I won't bore you with the details of this argument. Suffice to say, he played dirty and after I shot down every one of his points, he then hit me with GeePeeEms. I have to admit that I wasn't completely up on what that was at the time, so I asked him to explain it. Of course he didn't and just used it as a mystery sandwich to smugly claim that this proves nothing I had to say had any value. Typical.

So I studied up on it. He 'disconnected' after I told him there was no way I was ever going to submit to any sort of Scientology, so I never got to retort.

But in a nutshell, this is what I've concluded after my research:

Hubbard was an 'Ultra-Thelemist'. What that is is another discussion, but basically it's a person who follows Aleister Crowley's philosophy (OK, he didn't invent it, he just elaborated on it) of 'Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law' which is the prime aphorism that describes this belief.

An 'Ultra-Thelemist' was defined for me as someone who is so Thelemic that they considers that his (or her) will to do something automatically gives them the right to do it.

Got your tech dictionaries handy? Look at his description of this. Two fire hoses shooting water at each other? Simply put, it's your will to do something being opposed and thwarted. He not only suggests that this is the root cause of all problems, but that the resistance to one's will is being orchestrated by 'a conglomeration of entities which are counter-opposed'.

Yes, his 'intention' or 'will' as Crowley called it was indeed being thwarted by a conglomeration of counter-imposed entities. And thank God for that.

Comments?

"Ultra-Thelemist" seems to translate to sociopath, psychopath, or borderline personality disorder.
GPM, as seen by Hubbard, would seem to be reality kicking him in the balls with all the shit someone will get for thinking that their own individual will is the Boss of Everything.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
"Ultra-Thelemist" seems to translate to sociopath, psychopath, or borderline personality disorder.
GPM, as seen by Hubbard, would seem to be reality kicking him in the balls with all the shit someone will get for thinking that their own individual will is the Boss of Everything.

Yeah, that's one way of putting it. These guys are fanatics, you know? Being thwarted is only going to drive them more crazy. It's an ingrained aspect of this evil philosophy.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
"Ultra-Thelemist" seems to translate to sociopath, psychopath, or borderline personality disorder. GPM, as seen by Hubbard, would seem to be reality kicking him in the balls with all the shit someone will get for thinking that their own individual will is the Boss of Everything.

"n his much touted 1950 book, Dianetics: the Modern Science of Mental Health, Hubbard asserted that "engrams" were the root cause of ALL human aberrations and psychosomatic illnesses. With his new discoveries of what transpired in Heaven, Hubbard offered a new cause of the human dilemma: "The Goals-Problems-Mass (GPM) implants, which are the apparent basic source of aberration and human travail, which began with the goal to Forget, were cynically done 'in Heaven'."

http://www.biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/p89.htm

http://www.ezlink.com/~perry/CoS/Theology/GPM.htm

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron
"n his much touted 1950 book, Dianetics: the Modern Science of Mental Health, Hubbard asserted that "engrams" were the root cause of ALL human aberrations and psychosomatic illnesses. With his new discoveries of what transpired in Heaven, Hubbard offered a new cause of the human dilemma: "The Goals-Problems-Mass (GPM) implants, which are the apparent basic source of aberration and human travail, which began with the goal to Forget, were cynically done 'in Heaven'."

Dianetics, you say. I'll have to look into that.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather

Without even reading any of this, take if forward;

First, I think he tried to tell us (and himself) that it was just 'counter-postulates'. Which meant we were doing it to ourselves.

Later, he evolved to 'conglomerates' of other 'entities' that were doing it to us. Since that was the only explanation of why his brilliant therapy wasn't working as advertised.

OF COURSE it was done up in 'Heaven'. Otherwise, we wouldn't have needed him, hehehehe!

Last edited:

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

Yes, but...thanks to the ever forward moving advancement of Science-tology, today we are light years ahead of that primitive thinking...

We now know that the root cause of all human aberration is...

space cooties! How far we have come!

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Yes, but...thanks to the ever forward moving advancement of Science-tology, today we are light years ahead of that primitive thinking...

We now know that the root cause of all human aberration is...

space cooties! How far we have come!

:ohmy:

Can I max out my credit card to remove these cooties? :nervous:

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
No problem. My PayPal account is OTOTVII88008666. I'll get rid of your cooties. No sweat.

Congratulations! You have a long, glorious career as a Sea Org Scientologist to look forward to.

Make sure you forward my cut, otherwise your going to ethics, raw meat!

arcxcauseblows

Patron Meritorious
I'd like to hear people more expert than myself on this explain it in english, here's my take

if i had to reduce that to a sentence?

gpm in scientology = hang ups arising from occupying opposing identities throughout reincarnation?

i mean gpm assumes a lot of prior beliefs be established, makes it a story like most of scientology which is why it's so hard to explain unless someone studies the whole story...

hubbard wanted processes that people would pay him money for, admire him for, create some effects and results that he wanted, to help grow his business

so he milked cows dry then moved onto the next cow:

dianetics period

engrams
secondaries
locks

scientology period

arcx/problems/o/w

then problems got boring so they needed more, earlier, earlier, conspiracies, implants, so gpms, which is opposing identities, some implanted some self created

dichotomies, polar opposites, yin/yang, positive vs negative

cops vs robbers
cowboys vs indians
husbands vs mother in law

on and on chains of these identities opposing for a game, entertainment

holding two points apart in space = power

intention vs intention
postulate vs postulate

i don't know, most of that is english, the acronym goals problem mass is in english, except maybe mental mass is his term for what is commonly called a hang up

i'm sure psychologists have many similar terms

to make it an elitist cult he had to make up some words so they have the magic effect, make them feel like they are special and bond as a group, and to feel better than others, that they know something the others don't know...

Gib

Crusader

But in a nutshell, this is what I've concluded from my research:

Got your tech dictionaries handy? Look up 'Goals Problems Mass' Look at his description of this. Two fire hoses shooting water at each other? Simply put, it's your will to do something being opposed and thwarted. He not only suggests that this is the root cause of all problems, but that the resistance to one's will is being orchestrated by 'a conglomeration of entities which are counter-opposed'.

Comments?

When I read this:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.religion.scientology/txztizBGnQI

The whole scientology bridge & GPMs went bye bye.

As a person who read a lot of Hubbard and ran across GPM's and being totally confused on the matter of GPM's, why it went bye bye on Scientology/Hubbardology.

Much of Hubbard's tech is about opposition of goals ( his especially) and beingnesses - PTS - SP tech? Opposition. GPM's? Opposition. OSA - destroying of opposition. Fair Game? Ditto. Look how paranoid he was - opposition lurking around every corner. What were the Admonitions about? - overcoming opposition. What was his problem in the Navy? Couldn't take orders - still more opposition. Engrams? Hidden commands making the person do things against his will /wish. Wives that didn't appreciate his philandering? More opposition. How did he define intention - looking beyond the stops to the mountain to be achieved.

There you have it. If LRH was reincarnated as Meghan Trainor he would be singing: It's all about them stops, no barriers...

So in plain English, GPMs are the bear traps encountered in life's journey.

Mimsey

And, this is the style he'd sing it in...

[video=youtube;aLnZ1NQm2uk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnZ1NQm2uk[/video]

Hatshepsut

Crusader
On Saturday night I was surfing an old hard drive for a pdf. I found an mp3 of Dennis Stephen's. I never really got busy with TROM because I thought it was too convoluted for my simple mind. However, I had had friends in the mid 90s who were pursuing it. I've lost touch with them since.

To make a long story short I had skimmed over a post by RogerB here which was once again explaining how bad off the R2-12 folks got when doing goals clearing. One of his last on the subject explained the mind fuck caused by erroneously adhering to ' a wrong way oppose'. I commented but feared I NO idea :unsure: what he was talking about. On that drive, this Saturday night I double clicked the audio file labled Unstacking ( Bill Nichol's clearing procedure) error and 'wrong oppose' . I thought the voice was Dulloldfart's but it was Stephen's. He is making reference to the Saint Hill GPMs aspirants circa 1961 to 64.

I never did the Briefing course and did not get in til the mid 70s when I was 17 yrs old. I was surprised that Dennis Stephens TROM master did not talk TROM. He spent one hour describing how the mind works and what we beings DO to set up a game.....to put it in play. He repeated .... THERE IS NOTHING EXCEPT LIFE AND POSTULATES. He made the last synonymous with goals, considerations and decisions etc .....When done listening I got the feeling that an original postulate and its 'oppose' were both vectors held up by a vectorless individual. Not a static, in a no games.... state but a self determined person not finding it necessary to dramatize any vector.

Dennis theory is there are 4 brackets. Example. The effort TO KNOW vs the intention NOT TO BE KNOWN. And the intention TO BE KNOWN vs the postulate TO NOT KNOW. These are efforts in a game and have a purpose for each of the other elements being there. He described how to get the significance of anything in the GPM and ask the student what the purpose was for that item....how it fit in the game. The oppose item has a purpose too. These two significances are bonded to each other. The purposes give each other existence and life. If one goes....so falls the other.

This material is new to me. I listened a couple of times though trying to grok. Bill Nichol's GPMs Unstacking procedure was attempted by me in 94 but the 'izingness' suffix did not pan out for everything I came up with . It was too difficult and I got bored. OMG... maybe my own goals were boring to me?

I will attempt to upload the one hour mp3 to Google Drive and post the link. There are limits on free megabytes to my account. I might get into trouble with a TouTube uploaded from my Camtasia studio because of copyrights. . I will try.

http://tromhelp.com/Expanding_5/The-Unstacking-Prodecure.pdf

Last edited:

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
Some hold a concept I personally have not been convinced of . A few believe Ron Hubbard was trying to cure his unhappiness with the "technology" .

I follow Robert Lifton's concept that the cult leader has a splitting of their mind and simultaneously act as if they believe their pathological lies and act as if they know they are lies and hide this from others.

In the minds of some who see Hubbard as seeking a cure covertly the GPMs play the role of double binds in psychology .In other words Hubbard wanted to be free from double binds but he was compelled to alter all of the ideas he stole .

I feel quite strongly convinced that he pathologically lied and plagiarized for decades . I also feel he was compelled to alter every idea he stole .

Last edited: