Grass Roots Movement

Vinaire

Sponsor
I wrote the following on another thread

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=486472&postcount=306

Procedures that are not error tolerant are not adequate to clear the planet. Book One auditing had some potential but it got suppressed.

Unfortunately, the focus of Hubbard has been on money from the very beginning (50's). He needed that money to protect himself from dangers he felt were lurking all around him.

Book One auditing didn't require keeping of any pc folders. It was an effective technology based simply on LOOKING, and could have been improved by simplifying its complex computations.

This was accomplished to a large degree by John Galusha in Idenics. It has now been accomplished in the KHTK approach too. See Vinaire's Blog.

What attracted me to Dianetics in 1969 was the simple approach it seem to provide in the book DIANETICS: THE MODERN SCIENCE OF MENTAL HEALTH. My first 25 hours of Dianetics session seem to take that simple approach, and they did yield some fantastic results. Later auditing, however, got into grinding and the results were few and far in between.

Today we know what happened to that simple approach. It had taken off in the early 50s but then it died soon after. Hubbard's efforts to revive it never succeeded. I have a pretty good idea now as to what happened.

Hubbard's Dianetics has been based on his research (described in the book EVOLUTION OF A SCIENCE) where he forced a mental patient into a painful incident. Hubbard knew about that incident because it had come up in a drug hypnosis session with that patient. But the patient didn't know about it as he was under drugs at that time. So, Hubbard took on the task of making the patient aware of that incident even if it took brute force with the patient awake. Hubbard succeeded in that and the result was spectacular. With this incident the idea of ENGRAM was born.

But there are no engrams really. This painful incident could have been gotten if the mind were unstacked properly the way it was stacked up. No force would have been required then. But Hubbard was always in a rush.

Hubbard's later effort then became to somehow trick the mind to reveal painful incidents, which seem to release the most tension. His operating procedure became bypassing the natural stack up of tension in the mind.

This became Dianetics. But the downside was the stacking of the mind that was bypassed. As more and more "stacks" of the mind were bypassed, they generated their own tension and it became more and more difficult to get to painful incidents that were sought after.

What worked in earlier Dianetics was LOOKING on the part of the preclear. What didn't work was bypassing the natural stacking of tension in the mind.

[To be continued...]

Mystic

Crusader
Is still but mental activity. I was looking for spirit. There is none of it in mind "technologies".

Vinaire

Sponsor
"Spirit" seems to have all kind of different definitions. To me, spirit has two primary components:

(1) Beingness
(2) Awareness

These components come about at the moment of any manifestation. Prior to manifestation is the unmanifested or UNKNOWABLE.

You cannot know THAT which is unmanifested. You can only speculate about it.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.

What attracted me to Dianetics in 1969 was the simple approach it seem to provide in the book DIANETICS: THE MODERN SCIENCE OF MENTAL HEALTH. My first 25 hours of Dianetics session seem to take that simple approach, and they did yield some fantastic results. Later auditing, however, got into grinding and the results were few and far in between.

Today we know what happened to that simple approach. It had taken off in the early 50s but then it died soon after. Hubbard's efforts to revive it never succeeded. I have a pretty good idea now as to what happened.

Hubbard's Dianetics has been based on his research (described in the book EVOLUTION OF A SCIENCE) where he forced a mental patient into a painful incident. Hubbard knew about that incident because it had come up in a drug hypnosis session with that patient. But the patient didn't know about it as he was under drugs at that time. So, Hubbard took on the task of making the patient aware of that incident even if it took brute force with the patient awake. Hubbard succeeded in that and the result was spectacular. With this incident the idea of ENGRAM was born.

But there are no engrams really. This painful incident could have been gotten if the mind were unstacked properly the way it was stacked up. No force would have been required then. But Hubbard was always in a rush.

Hubbard's later effort then became to somehow trick the mind to reveal painful incidents, which seem to release the most tension. His operating procedure became bypassing the natural stack up of tension in the mind.

This became Dianetics. But the downside was the stacking of the mind that was bypassed. As more and more "stacks" of the mind were bypassed, they generated their own tension and it became more and more difficult to get to painful incidents that were sought after.

What worked in earlier Dianetics was LOOKING on the part of the preclear. What didn't work was bypassing the natural stacking of tension in the mind.

[To be continued...]

Contrary to popular belief, I actually agree with you. While handling what the pc originated, great gains were to be had. Once it became telling the pc what to audit, the decline was unbelievably steep--and that's where Black Dianetics came into being. As soon as the $$$ is more important than the product, kiss the whole business goodbye.

Vinaire

Sponsor
Contrary to popular belief, I actually agree with you. While handling what the pc originated, great gains were to be had. Once it became telling the pc what to audit, the decline was unbelievably steep--and that's where Black Dianetics came into being. As soon as the $$$ is more important than the product, kiss the whole business goodbye.

Bingo! You are exactly right!

Vinaire

Sponsor
Is still but mental activity. I was looking for spirit. There is none of it in mind "technologies".

By the way, the most basic trap is fixation on BEINGNESS (spirit). Please see the recent discussion with Leon on the thread KHTK Essays.

Vinaire

Sponsor

[To be continued...]

Here are some observations about the process of LOOKING at mind naturally without trying to control it.

(1) When a person looks at an area of the mind, the mind starts to un-stack itself. As the top layer comes fully into awareness it dissolves giving way to the next layer. And so it continues.

(2) These layers are connected by significance in a certain order. A person is much less likely to be overwhelmed if these layers are brought into awareness and dissolved in the order they are presented by the mind.

(3) This natural process of un-stacking is interrupted when one anxiously starts to ask questions and search for explanations.

(4) One exposes oneself to overwhelm only when one interferes with the way the mind wants to un-stack itself.

A person who is routinely digging into his mind searching for explanations is definitely exposing himself to harm. He will do himself a big favor by learning to look without thinking and letting the mind un-stack itself.

Where Dianetics went wrong was condoning the bypass of the natural unstacking of the mind, and conditioning a person into ways to figuring out the "engram."

The concept of ENGRAM is fictitious. It is an apparency that comes about by unstacking out of sequence a bunch of layers of a mind at once. It is spectacular in the beginning but it is a self-defeating exercise in the long run.

The relief comes from looking patiently and not from searching anxiously and trying to be in control. Actually, hectic digging into the mind for explanations has occasionally driven people toward madness.

Last edited:

Vinaire

Sponsor

Procedures that are not error tolerant are not adequate to clear the planet. Book One auditing had some potential but it got suppressed.

Unfortunately, the focus of Hubbard has been on money from the very beginning (50's). He needed that money to protect himself from dangers he felt were lurking all around him.

Book One auditing didn't require keeping of any pc folders. It was an effective technology based simply on LOOKING, and could have been improved by simplifying its complex computations.

This was accomplished to a large degree by John Galusha in Idenics. It has now been accomplished in the KHTK approach too. See Vinaire's Blog.

Book One Auditing would have worked just fine if it only asked for "the incident that would resolve your case" session after session and encouraged the person to look at what the mind offered. No other command or computing was required on part of the audotor.

John Galusha did something similar with Idenics. His brilliance was in eliminating all the myriads of processes of Dianetics and Scientology, and simply working with the "unwanted condition" that the client had attention on. Of course, Idenics has its own methodology, but it would suffice to say that Idenics focused on LOOKING and EXPERIENCING on part of the client.

I first came across Idenics in 2007 on ESMB on the thread "What is Idenics?" It immediately rejuvenated my hope for something that could ignite a grass roots movement. I told about it to my friend Ivan, who just loved the description of Idenics too. I felt the same excitement that I had felt about Dianetics in the beginning. Here was something that sounded simpler than Dianetics and appeared to be very effective. I was not disappointed in the promise that Idenics offered.

Ivan and his wife went to Denver in Nov-Dec 2007 for training in Idenics. I could not go for Idenics training until April 2008. It was a wonderful experience for me. It was great to meet my old friend from Apollo, Mike Goldstein. It snowed while I was there (I may put some pictures here). Mike took great care of me. He took me around up in the mountains, where we had a great brunch, before Mike took me to the airport on the last day.

After I came back I gave Idenics sessions 4-5 hours a week, week after week for a year or more. There were great results most of the time, but there were instances when results were difficult to come by. Failures occured when I could not get a well-defined unwanted condition from the client. I found that to be the primary weakness on my part as an Idenics practitioner.

But I realized the following things:

(1) The gains come from the client LOOKING and EXPERIENCING what the client was sitting in. Gains did not come from client talking to the practitioner.

(2) EXPERIENCING was simply an aspect of LOOKING. The key element of any healing and relief was LOOKING.

(3) The direction in which LOOKING must occur is most fruitful when the client is thoroughly consulted about it.

(4) The methodology of Idenics simply got the client to LOOK at an area in different ways that are brilliant.

I deperately wanted Idenics to become a Grass Roots movement. But it seemed it was Mike's call and not mine. Mike felt that Idenics will take off by itself and he just have to wait. I felt that portions of idenics could be made public where people could apply the material by themselves and that would make Idenics spread faster. Mike felt that enough was already released in the Idenics book. I felt that Idenics book didn't present the materials in a way that they could be applied by a person on the street with confidence.

Ideally, the materials to do with a grass roots movement should be open source and freely available. A practitioner could still make money by applying those materials to others. He would be paid for his skill. Anyway, Mike and I differed here about the availabilty of Idenics.

Then I came upon the idea of investigating in detail what really brought about the gains. I had fantastic gains on TR0 of Scientology. I also used to be TRs Course word clearer on Flag and brought about wonderful gains in others by guiding them on TR0 (I was corrected for being a squirrel. I was then assigned to a different post). The basics that I had applied on TR0 to myself and others had existed for 2500 years in Buddha's Vipassana meditation. I naturally interepreted TR0 that way. But others in Scientology differed from me.

Anyway, it was that experience that gave birth to KHTK (Knowing How to Know). I thought I'll change this acronym, but it seemed to have stuck.

[To be continued...]

Last edited:

Vinaire

Sponsor
KHTK 1A

I am currently revising KHTK essays. Let me post the revised version of the very first essay. This version is not posted on my blog yet as it is under review.

KHTK 1A: LOOKING: INTRODUCTION​

This is a set of essays that have come to be known by the acronym KHTK (from the phrase “Knowing How To Know”). This is the first of the KHTK essays. It introduces LOOKING as the key to knowing how to know.

THEORY

Looking means to observe and notice things for what they are. To know something, you do not have to label it, or use words to describe it. You simply look and recognize something for what it is.

The key idea is:

LOOK AND SIMPLY OBSERVE WHAT IS THERE WITHOUT EXPECTING ANYTHING, OR ATTEMPTING TO GET AN ANSWER.

Any expectation will add extraneous thoughts to what one is looking at. Attempts to get an answer will also add extraneous interpretation to what is there. It is a common experience to have thoughts, labels, evaluations, opinions conclusions, etc., arise in the mind as one looks. When such thoughts are suppressed they color and modify our perception of what is there.

Often, one is taught to suppress one’s thoughts. For example, in many meditation techniques the primary goal is to make one’s mind blank. In some other meditation techniques one is required to concentrate on a thought at the exclusion of all others. Such actions suppress the ability to LOOK.

The clever thing to do is not to suppress anything, but to notice these thoughts, labels, evaluations, opinions conclusions, etc., explicitly, as they arise in the mind while looking.

LOOKING DOES NOT REQUIRE SUPPRESSION OF ANY THOUGHTS ARISING IN THE MIND. YOU LOOK AT THOSE THOUGHTS THE WAY YOU LOOK AT YOUR ENVIRONMENT.

Probably the best way to get started with KHTK is to find a partner who is as interested in learning and applying the principles of KHTK as you are. You and your partner alternate as “student” and “guide.” You learn these principles by applying them to yourself when acting as a “student,” and applying them to your partner when acting as “guide.”

SOLO APPLICATION

You may do these exercises by yourself. Once you have completed the exercises, proceed to KHTK 1B

Exercise 1-1

(1) Look around the room and observe different objects. Notice if the mind is labeling these objects as you look at them. For example, the mind may present the thought, “this is a lamp,” when you look at a lamp.

(2) If so, then do not stop the mind from labeling the objects. Simply notice that the mind is labeling an object as you look at it. End this exercise when you are satisfied that you have done that.

Exercise 1-2

(1) Look around the room and observe different objects. Notice if the mind is evaluating as you look at these objects. For example, the mind may present the thought, “this is an expensive lamp,” as you look at a lamp.

(2) If so, then do not stop the mind from evaluating. Simply notice that the mind is evaluating an object as you look at it. End this exercise when you are satisfied that you have done that.

Exercise 1-3

(1) Look around the room and observe different objects. Notice if the mind is offering any conclusions as you look at these objects. For example, the mind may present the thought, “i will never buy this lamp,” as you look at a lamp.

(2) If so, then do not stop the mind from offering conclusions. Simply notice that the mind is offering a conclusion as you look at an object. End this exercise when you are satisfied that you have done that.

Exercise 1-4

(1) Look around the room and observe different objects. Notice if there are thoughts appearing in the mind.

(2) If so, then do not stop the thoughts from appearing in the mind. Simply notice these thoughts while continuing to look at the objects. End this exercise when you are satisfied that you have done that.

APPLICATION AS A GUIDE

You may guide a student as follows.

A. Have the person do exercises 1-1 to 1-4 in sequence as follows:

(1) Give the student instructions per step 1.
(2) Determine what was noticed.
(3) Give the student instructions per step 2.

B. Go over the theory section with your student.

(1) Answer any questions as best as you can.
(2) Discuss the theory materials until no questions remain.
(3) Do the exercises again as necessary.

C. Make sure that the student fully grasps the following points.

• LOOK AND SIMPLY OBSERVE WHAT IS THERE WITHOUT EXPECTING ANYTHING, OR ATTEMPTING TO GET AN ANSWER.
• LOOKING DOES NOT REQUIRE SUPPRESSION OF ANY THOUGHTS ARISING IN THE MIND. YOU LOOK AT THOSE THOUGHTS THE WAY YOU LOOK AT YOUR ENVIRONMENT.

D. Proceed to KHTK 1B.

Any feedback to make this essay better shall be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Vinaire

Sponsor
LOOKING DOES NOT REQUIRE SUPPRESSION OF ANY THOUGHTS ARISING IN THE MIND.

The above datum is violated in some forms of meditation where it is required to keep one's mind blank, or to focus on one thing at the exclusion of all others.

The violation of the above datum is harmful in all cases.

In the Church of Scientology one must not think any heretical thoughts, otherwise they are bound to be discovered in a session, and then the person would be subjected to ethics. One then is very afraid of thinking about certain things. This violates the above datum about looking. It suppresses the natural ability of a person to LOOK.

Freedom comes from applying the natural ability to LOOK.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
From Hubbard's perspective, the problem with Book I auditors was that they did not need the org infrastructure. No C/S, no EO. A Book I auditor could set himself up and, if he had some knack for it, have a clientele of happy PCs to audit on the weekends.

Can't have that. Can't have people being independent of LRH's power structure.

Vinaire

Sponsor
From Hubbard's perspective, the problem with Book I auditors was that they did not need the org infrastructure. No C/S, no EO. A Book I auditor could set himself up and, if he had some knack for it, have a clientele of happy PCs to audit on the weekends.

Can't have that. Can't have people being independent of LRH's power structure.

That is true. Beingness as "Source" was very important to Hubbard. So, he protected that beingness at all costs.

Beingness is very important in Scientology, and relatively in the Western culture.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
As per the OP, I was just wondering how anyone could take 'Dianetics' seriously any more, well, even back then. Such a jumbled mess of bs, though not nearly as much as the survival tripe :shrug:

Vinaire

Sponsor
As per the OP, I was just wondering how anyone could take 'Dianetics' seriously any more, well, even back then. Such a jumbled mess of bs, though not nearly as much as the survival tripe :shrug:

Hubbard was fixated on BEINGNESS, and on making beingness CONTINUE.

He could not conceive of LOOKING without beingness.

Last edited:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
'Looking'> Its simply what you do when you open your eyes.

Look out!

Yes, you can look in, but then its something else, reflection maybe.

Very few can 'look' without eyes, takes a good heart imho.

Vinaire

Sponsor
'Looking'> Its simply what you do when you open your eyes.

Look out!

Yes, you can look in, but then its something else, reflection maybe.

Very few can 'look' without eyes, takes a good heart imho.

Very nice... but there is no "looking in" imho. It is all looking out.

What are you "looking in" anyway? That is also out there. :)

Vinaire

Sponsor
Looks like we lost some posts here. Anyway I have revised and updated both KHTK 1A and 1B on my blog. I have also updated KHTK 1A on this thread, and here is the updated KHTK 1B, which addresses the objection about thinking posted earlier (but now missing) from Ogsonofgroo.

KHTK 1B: LOOKING AND THINKING

This KHTK essay explains how THINKING, at its highest level, is a simple activity that guides a person’s attention while looking.

THEORY

We observe to see what is there. This is LOOKING. We then combine these observations to get some ideas about what else might be there. This is THINKING. These ideas then guide looking to better understand what is there.

This is a pattern that has been used on a different scale in the Scientific method. Briefly,
1. One observes a number of phenomena.
2. One then formulates a hypothesis to explain the phenomena.
3. One then uses the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena.
4. One then performs experiments to look for those phenomena.

We may say that

THE PURPOSE OF LOOKING IS TO SEE WHAT IS THERE. THE PURPOSE OF THINKING IS TO GUIDE LOOKING TO BETTER UNDERSTAND WHAT IS THERE.

However, to most people thinking is not the simple activity described above. To them, thinking is a ponderous, cumbersome, and complex activity that often makes the head hurt. Much of the time thinking is endless figure-figure that seldom resolves confusions.

The fact is that at its basic level, thinking is an activity that compares and contrasts one thing against another to recognize similarities and differences, and to identify, ultimately, what exactly is there. Thinking may descend into becoming circular, dull and full of effort only when looking is omitted. As one starts to practice looking one may find that the effort required in thinking starts to diminish. After a while, thinking becomes so fast and effortless that one doesn’t even notice it.

Looking and thinking go hand in hand. One’s looking is naturally followed by rapid thinking that directs one’s attention almost immediately to where one should be looking. One looks through physical eyes to observe what is there in the physical environment. One also looks through inner eyes to observe what is there in the mind. It is the absence of looking which adds all the effort to thinking.

WHEN LOOKING AND THINKING OCCUR NATURALLY THEY BECOME QUITE EFFORTLESS AND VERY PRODUCTIVE.

When one let’s looking and thinking to take their natural course, it may appear random and strange at first; but soon the mind starts to calm down and one starts to resolve confusions easily.

SOLO APPLICATION

You may do this exercise by yourself. Once you have completed this exercise, proceed to KHTK 1C.

Exercise 1-5

YOU MAY DO THIS EXERCISE AS OFTEN AS YOU WANT AND AS PART OF YOUR DAILY ROUTINE.

1. Observe things in your environment. Be alert and watchful without expecting anything.

2. Look at something. Contrast it to its background. Compare it with other things nearby.

3. Recognize the differences and similarities. Identify what you are looking at for what it is.

4. Observe the direction in which your attention seems to be moving. Look in that direction. Look at whatever you find there as in step 2.

5. Don’t try to control your attention. Don’t expect anything. Continue with the pattern as established in steps 2, 3 and 4.

6. This exercise may be carried out consciously over a course of time until you find that looking and thinking are becoming relatively effortless.

APPLICATION AS A GUIDE

You may guide a student as follows.

A. Have the person do exercises 1-5

1. Maintain an open and friendly communication about student’s experience on each step of the exercise. Sort out any questions and confusions
2. Guide the student through each step until he feels confident about doing it on his own.
3. Work out a simple routine with the student for doing this exercise daily.

B. Go over the theory section with your student.

1. Answer any questions as best as you can.
2. Discuss the theory materials until no questions remain.
3. Do the exercises again as necessary.

C. Make sure that the student fully grasps the following points.

• THE PURPOSE OF LOOKING IS TO SEE WHAT IS THERE. THE PURPOSE OF THINKING IS TO GUIDE LOOKING TO BETTER UNDERSTAND WHAT IS THERE.
• WHEN LOOKING AND THINKING OCCUR NATURALLY THEY BECOME QUITE EFFORTLESS AND VERY PRODUCTIVE.

D. Proceed to KHTK 1C.

Last edited: