What's new

Greenfields School: it's not looking good for Scientology

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
I doubt that a modern-day 'wog' child would find Dianetics or Hubbard's writing in general anything but ridiculous. Also, the first instinct of a teenager nowadays is to use the Internet to find out more; a process that will rapidly cure them of any intention to do business with the cult.

I certainly hope that's so, anyway.

British Mom

Patron with Honors
I can verify that as some lifelong friends sent several children to
Greenfields.

Under Margaret Hodkin the school was excellent. She was an educator by training and IIRC a former headmistress, and clearly following her dream. Met her, wonderful lady.

There were I heard around 200 students back then.

She seriously regrets, I heard, that she allowed a CO$ body to take over
the school.

And on another rumour line that she dosn't want to be associated with CO$.

One of these children was dyslexic. Greenfields refused to recognise that as a condition or do anything about it. Epic fail!!

However parent power did, and the child concerned has recently graduated university.

One child was pulled into a multi hour recruit for the SO and didn't know if he'd see his parents again. Traumatic!

The family was very worried they'd be expell declared if one of the parents was let off the leash!

Many scientologists wouldn't let kids go there because of possible declares erc.

I like study tech and word clearing etc.

However young people need inspiration.

This it seems is missing from greenfields now.

I'd like to put the record straight, Margaret Hodkin & Mark McQuade started the school, unfortunetly I helped out. I was Margaret's Secretary & all. The school started with 35 children & in a year doubled in size. Margaret then purchased the Forest Row place.

What went on in Greenfields was a disgrace, from the begining. Mark Kent was Margarets blue eyed boy, I could see what was going on & mentioned it to various people, but they were blind to the fact that he was a abusing the children. I left because of what was going on, i just had a gut feeling about it all. 5 years after I left, the story hit the newspapers & I was right about him, in the past I had spoken to Margaret & John Taylor at St. Hill, but was anything done, No, it was all brushed under the carpet. I was just a low level PC so no noticed was taken of what I said.

Mark McQuade used to scream & shout at the children, like a nutcase & started a relationship with my daughter Mandy, while she was a student. This was totally unaceptable to me & my now deceased husband. I spoke to Margaret Hodkin, she saw no wrong in Mcquade & that it wasnt a problem about their relationship.

Myself, Ros Bisby, my husband asked Mcquade to come round & discuss that this was not acceptable, he came & stayed till the early hours of the morning, during this time we tried to get him to see that a relationship with a student was not OKl, eventually he said that he wouldnt see Mandy untill she was 18 & had left school.

When Mandy was 18 yrs old, he openly went out with Mandy, she left home & within a week of leaving, she moved in with McQuade. She stayed with him for 2 years & omg did she go down, he had totally control over her. To get out of the relationship Mandy joined the Sea Org & later met Chaz Kember.

In 1982 at Greenfields a number of children had to leave the school as their parent had been declared. This was very upsetting as the children had done no wrong.

This is just so of the things that went on when Margaret Hodkin was in charge, it was later that the Org got more control of the school. Greenfields was always a recruitment centre for the Sea Org. So as for your comment that Greenfields was excellent under Margaret Hodkin, I would say that it wasnt, they had there own laws & sod everyone else, very much to how an Org is run. I regret ever working there.

So for her to say Greenfields was worse when CofS took over, it wasnt, all the gross things that occured at Greenfields were when she was in charge. It just became an org later when she left or was taken off the post.

Last edited:

Terril park

Sponsor
I'd like to put the record straight, Margaret Hodkin & Mark McQuade started the school, unfortunetly I helped out. I was Margaret's Secretary & all. The school started with 35 children & in a year doubled in size. Margaret then purchased the Forest Row place.

What went on in Greenfields was a disgrace, from the begining. Mark Kent was Margarets blue eyed boy, I could see what was going on & mentioned it to various people, but they were blind to the fact that he was a abusing the children. I left because of what was going on, i just had a gut feeling about it all. 5 years after I left, the story hit the newspapers & I was right about him, in the past I had spoken to Margaret & John Taylor at St. Hill, but was anything done, No, it was all brushed under the carpet. I was just a low level PC so no noticed was taken of what I said.

Mark McQuade used to scream & shout at the children, like a nutcase & started a relationship with my daughter Mandy, while she was a student. This was totally unaceptable to me & my now deceased husband. I spoke to Margaret Hodkin, she saw no wrong in Mcquade & that it wasnt a problem about their relationship.

Myself, Ros Bisby, my husband asked Mcquade to come round & discuss that this was not acceptable, he came & stayed till the early hours of the morning, during this time we tried to get him to see that a relationship with a student was not OKl, eventually he said that he wouldnt see Mandy untill she was 18 & had left school.

When Mandy was 18 yrs old, he openly went out with Mandy, she left home & within a week of leaving, she moved in with McQuade. She stayed with him for 2 years & omg did she go down, he had totally control over her. To get out of the relationship Mandy joined the Sea Org & later met Chaz Kember.

In 1982 at Greenfields a number of children had to leave the school as their parent had been declared. This was very upsetting as the children had done no wrong.

This is just so of the things that went on when Margaret Hodkin was in charge, it was later that the Org got more control of the school. Greenfields was always a recruitment centre for the Sea Org. So as for your comment that Greenfields was excellent under Margaret Hodkin, I would say that it wasnt, they had there own laws & sod everyone else, very much to how an Org is run. I regret ever working there.

So for her to say Greenfields was worse when CofS took over, it wasnt, all the gross things that occured at Greenfields were when she was in charge. It just became an org later when she left or was taken off the post.

I have no dispute with anything you say.

I'm repeating what my friends and their children have said. I've known them since schooldays, and before the children were born. All have graduated university and are EXTREMELY successful.

The attempts for recruitment to SO were wrong.

All the children went to university

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
According to the Scientology-London dossier, Mark McQuade has married two of his former pupils, Miri Guy and Nicola Tuppholme. This in addition to having formerly been married to Brenda McQuade, long-time Scientology victim. (What is it with Scientologists and all the divorces...?) McQuade is no spring chicken; he really isn't young enough to be falling "in love" with teenagers... even if he weren't atheir teacher and therefore in loco parentis.

There was also a relationship with a fellow teacher apparently, the late Shiona Foxnes, but McQuade was ordered to disconnect from her when she left the 'Church'.

Greenfields School's co-founder and Deputy Principal, Mark McQuade is notable for a mention in Mr Justice Latey's High Court judgment against Scientology, stating that he used "false, spurious" titles. He doesn't appear to actually have a teaching qualification.

If I can find all this out in just a few minutes, using nothing more energetic than a few Google searches, what excuse do parents have for putting their children into such a dangerous environment?

:duh:

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
Recent info on Mark Mcquade from a friend of mine is that he is indeed married to Miri Guy who is considerably younger than him. I think, but can't swear to it, that they have children. Mark must be in his 50s now, by my calculation.

British Mom

Patron with Honors
According to the Scientology-London dossier, Mark McQuade has married two of his former pupils, Miri Guy and Nicola Tuppholme. This in addition to having formerly been married to Brenda McQuade, long-time Scientology victim. (What is it with Scientologists and all the divorces...?) McQuade is no spring chicken; he really isn't young enough to be falling "in love" with teenagers... even if he weren't atheir teacher and therefore in loco parentis.

There was also a relationship with a fellow teacher apparently, the late Shiona Foxnes, but McQuade was ordered to disconnect from her when she left the 'Church'.

Greenfields School's co-founder and Deputy Principal, Mark McQuade is notable for a mention in Mr Justice Latey's High Court judgment against Scientology, stating that he used "false, spurious" titles. He doesn't appear to actually have a teaching qualification.

If I can find all this out in just a few minutes, using nothing more energetic than a few Google searches, what excuse do parents have for putting their children into such a dangerous environment?

:duh:

Yes :yes: this is all true, Miri Guy & Nicola Tupholme were friends of my daughter Mandy, all the same age:yes::yes::yes: he has had them all::duh::duh::duh:

British Mom

Patron with Honors
I found an old write-up on Greenfields School, from Brighton's Evening Argus in 1994 (text available here).

Peter Hodkin was speaking in his role as school solicitor. (What kind of school retains a solicitor to answer questions from journalists? Answer: a very, very creepy one.)

The article goes on to talk about word-clearing tech, and to examine the academic achievements of Greenfields... which weren't any better in 1994 than they are now.

Worth a read. A very 'brave' article, from back in the days when the cult still had the resources to stalk its critics. A shame it wasn't seen more widely.

Now... does anybody remember Martina Douglas?

Yes Martina worked at the school & was having services at St.Hill, she committed suicide.

British Mom

Patron with Honors
:biggrin:

Alexander is my God Son . . . the one I wrote of :biggrin:

Rog

Alex is a lovely boy & it was gross that he had to leave Greenfields the way he did, mind you, it was better that he got out as alot of things were hidden. I worked there about 16 years & it put alot of doubts in my mind about Scientology. I saw how the "Upper Level People" behaved & I didnt like it, to me they were like Psycotics. Im so glad to be out of it & Scientology.

British Mom

Patron with Honors
Recent info on Mark Mcquade from a friend of mine is that he is indeed married to Miri Guy who is considerably younger than him. I think, but can't swear to it, that they have children. Mark must be in his 50s now, by my calculation.

Or 60's, 70's he is older than me & im 63. He is now with Nicola Tupholme.

British Mom

Patron with Honors
I have no dispute with anything you say.

I'm repeating what my friends and their children have said. I've known them since schooldays, and before the children were born. All have graduated university and are EXTREMELY successful.

The attempts for recruitment to SO were wrong.

All the children went to university

I understand what you are saying, yes I am sure they graduated as they (staff) would have made sure they did, whatever way, but I was there & I saw what went on at Greenfields. Some students were bright & clever before they went to Greenfields & the school took the credit. The School was very good at PRing & promoting the school but on a day to day level it was a joke.

RogerB

Crusader
Thanks, British Mom . . . . you've filled in some important missing info.

Yes, McQuade is/was a sneaky piece of slime. I was twinned with him once on some drills/actions on course a St. Hill.

In retrospect, is is so sad that the CofS types can't behave in a sensible and decent manner; and that they too often are given to violations of decent and even courteous conduct.

TRs and the bull-baiting thing seems to bring out the worst in some folks . . . as it did when that tech was transplanted in Est.

Rog

British Mom

Patron with Honors
Can you say any more about Martina, British Mom?

In answer to one question Martina was married to Alan Douglas. Martina was at Greenfields, she worked part time there & on lines at St. Hill, Im not too sure what she was getting, I think she may have been on the Key to Life. She hung herself in the bedroom & her little daughter found her. If I can remember (as I have tried to delete alot of stuff relating to Scientology) but I believe there is a plaque in her memory at Greenfields.

She was a nice lady but as far as I can remember, but I got the idea that other Scientologists looked down on her & took the piss, if you know what I mean. She seemed quite a nervous person. It was so sad, I believe that someone else also committed suicide in that house where the Douglas's live, cant really remember that one. Thinking back I think that quite alot of people blamed Alan, he wasnt liked very much in the Scientology community. This is all I can remember about it all.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
I should write a book about the truth at Greenfields but wouldnt waste my time.

Actually it would be great if you could write up your experiences at Greenfields, British Mom.

This is just the sort of thing that should be documented. The cult often complains about being victims of ‘religious discrimination’ but if we can show that they have exerted undue influence on a school in order to have a child thrown out for something that their parents did, then this would be of interest to the media, I’m sure.

Axiom142

RogerB

Crusader
In answer to one question Martina was married to Alan Douglas. Martina was at Greenfields, she worked part time there & on lines at St. Hill, Im not too sure what she was getting, I think she may have been on the Key to Life. She hung herself in the bedroom & her little daughter found her. If I can remember (as I have tried to delete alot of stuff relating to Scientology) but I believe there is a plaque in her memory at Greenfields.

She was a nice lady but as far as I can remember, but I got the idea that other Scientologists looked down on her & took the piss, if you know what I mean. She seemed quite a nervous person. It was so sad, I believe that someone else also committed suicide in that house where the Douglas's live, cant really remember that one. Thinking back I think that quite alot of people blamed Alan, he wasnt liked very much in the Scientology community. This is all I can remember about it all.

Hmm, Thanks, BM.

Alan is/was a lovable guy, though to tell the truth somewhat "clumsy" in his social relations. I knew him rather well and I consider him a good friend.

Martina did appear to have what might be called by some an "inferiority complex," and I can well understand that the abuse of constant invalidation and evaluative wrong items, that the Cof$ specializes in, might have caused her to take her life.

I think it possible she might have been labelled an illegal PC, and in desperation took her life to solve the problem.

Such is the insanity of the Cof$ . . . it destroys people who do not fit their mold while at the same time it condones criminal behavior to make itself right.

I hope Alan D. is doing OK. Having no idea where he is of if he still lives, I did a google and found he blogs out of East Grinstead. I'll have to reach and see if he's still "in." :biggrin:

Rog

British Mom

Patron with Honors
Hmm, Thanks, BM.

Alan is/was a lovable guy, though to tell the truth somewhat "clumsy" in his social relations. I knew him rather well and I consider him a good friend.

Martina did appear to have what might be called by some an "inferiority complex," and I can well understand that the abuse of constant invalidation and evaluative wrong items, that the Cof$ specializes in, might have caused her to take her life.

I think it possible she might have been labelled an illegal PC, and in desperation took her life to solve the problem.

Such is the insanity of the Cof$ . . . it destroys people who do not fit their mold while at the same time it condones criminal behavior to make itself right.

I hope Alan D. is doing OK. Having no idea where he is of if he still lives, I did a google and found he blogs out of East Grinstead. I'll have to reach and see if he's still "in." :biggrin:

Rog

To be honest I didnt really know Alan. I am sure he still lives in the same place, special if he blogs from EG. I agree with what you have said about the CofS, totally insane.

British Mom

Patron with Honors
Actually it would be great if you could write up your experiences at Greenfields, British Mom.

This is just the sort of thing that should be documented. The cult often complains about being victims of ‘religious discrimination’ but if we can show that they have exerted undue influence on a school in order to have a child thrown out for something that their parents did, then this would be of interest to the media, I’m sure.

Axiom142

I totally get what your saying, this happened 30 years ago & most of the stuff was hiden from the staff. All I remember was that the Ballard children & Allan son had to leave because their parents were declared. How the decision were made, God only knows. The CofS were not in control of the school at that time, Margaret Hodkin & Mark McQuade ran the school.

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron

Axiom142

British Mom,

I agree with Axiom here, I think this sort of thing is not a waste of time.

From my stand point far too many people have committed suicide which is scientology related and far too many children have been harmed by the practise of scientology. In order to find a way to stop it from happening in the future, the more that is documented the better.

It has been going on for too many years and too much of it is not recorded by those who were there and can make a difference.