What's new

Greenfields School: it's not looking good for Scientology

X-Member-Hooray

Patron with Honors
Study tech has some neat components that have value. Critical thinking is not one of them, by the way. But the Scientologist put far too much emphasis on the "one size fits all" solution of looking up words, word clearing and demo kits. Of course is it typical arrogance of Scientologists to fail to incorporate other teaching/ learning techniques just because lrh didn't mention them.

Although I am not overly academic I think back to all those years of spending endless hours wading through the Dictionary, trying to comprehend every definition of so many words, which lead to more and more words. I dont think I ever found much benefit in this, although I appreciate having a slightly improved vocabulary. I really did not see any value in using demo kits. It was just moving about small objects. What sort of planet was I on to accept all this twaddle? If I had used a brain I could have gotten a PhD in the time I wasted on this garbage. I am interested to hear what others think of study tech.

Fortunately one thing I have ensured, is that my daughters have been brought up with proper analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to make wise decisions.

G

Gottabrain

Although I am not overly academic I think back to all those years of spending endless hours wading through the Dictionary, trying to comprehend every definition of so many words, which lead to more and more words. I dont think I ever found much benefit in this, although I appreciate having a slightly improved vocabulary. I really did not see any value in using demo kits. It was just moving about small objects. What sort of planet was I on to accept all this twaddle? If I had used a brain I could have gotten a PhD in the time I wasted on this garbage. I am interested to hear what others think of study tech.

Fortunately one thing I have ensured, is that my daughters have been brought up with proper analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to make wise decisions.

:goodposting: :thumbsup:

I love how you don't waste words giving your opinion! I agree wholeheartedly.

Nothing much to add to this, really, except most young people these days need some serious tutoring on grammar - something that only occasionally gets resolved with study tek and a diligent wordclearer.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
They really weren't questions I'm afraid.

I hope somebody more brave than I am can expose what really went on. I know the org is much weaker but I would still hate to be seen as a direct enemy. They scare me to death. And our taxes pay for that privilege.

Probably the last post from me but happy to pm. Thankfully I am now far removed from the criminal chaos I endured for far too long.

I understand. This forum will be here for you when ever you are ready to give more details. Don't hesitate to PM those in this thread, long time members, who you feel are knowledgeable. It's always good to have someone to chat/PM with on these traumatic things. Take it slow and cautious but don't give up hope that you can find someone to trust who will understand. I know from experience as a former scientologist, who reached out to another in fear and upset years ago, that it can be quite a relief and an important step in helping open the door to rising above the past and the fear that controls it.

Best wishes,

Mary

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
The word-clearing 'Tech' is Scientology in its essence: squeeze the life out of one word at a time, and don't look at the big picture. 'Know' much with certainty, but understand little. Don't allow invention or imagination, and don't allow yourself to press on, and decide about something later.

It may be that Hubbard was deliberately trying to make sure that nobody would ever be able to replace him, because this meticulousness is the opposite of what LRH practised. He always wrote 'live', with no drafts, no re-writes, and he seldom considered anything unworthy of use. He was able to scratch a living at a penny a word: he just poured it out - which would never have done in industry or academia, but was OK for pulp westerns.

Alternatively, word-clearing may be an example of Hubs trying to address one if the failings that he recognised in himself. Like we see in the Affirmations, or how he tried (and failed) to make the Sea Orgers into decent naval officers. Either way, LRH never bothered with the meticulousness he demanded of mere members of the cult. (If he had, we'd have read about Homo Novus, not "Homo Novis.")

Once again, the word-clearing dreck is an example if "one rule for Hubs, another rule for everybody else." Scientology in miniature. Pin down each word one at a time. Isolate each person (no case on post) and defeat them in detail. Keep a dossier.

It's an interesting insight into one facet of L Ron Hubbard's mental illness, but it certainly isn't a useful educational device. I'd say 90 minutes a week of dictionary-bashing would be excessive. (Also, how do Scientology victims get on in real-world exams, with a time limit or perhaps no books allowed? Not at all well. One reason for the academic disaster that is Greenfields School.)

Now: what else does a Scieno-playdoh education offer?

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader

Its pretty simple really, a mental sleight of hand and so obvious a ploy. Yup, ol' Elon-Elray, master of time and space, when unable to explain basic shit to his adherents that made sense, yussir, relied on dictionaries..... how fucking derpy is that?
talk about 'padding' yer crap :duh:

Freeminds

Scientology is the only business I know of where it's considered acceptable for 20,000 people to be scratching their heads about what an author meant, and pissing about with dictionaries, instead of getting the author to do a decent job in the first place.

That's "efficiency", Scientology-style.

lemoncurd

Scientology is the only business I know of where it's considered acceptable for 20,000 people to be scratching their heads about what an author meant, and pissing about with dictionaries, instead of getting the author to do a decent job in the first place.

That's "efficiency", Scientology-style.

Hear hear, the text is always correct, if you query it, you must have an M.U. If you query it again after looking it up, you go to Ethics to handle your 'overts'. Logical..

Uk-86

Patron
Marcus Allen on TV, 'Facing South' in 1987. The story of how his SP declare led to his son Alexander being "sent home" (or expelled) from Greenfields. For allegedly having a bad stammer that mysteriously doesn't manifest itself when he speaks to the TV crew...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcwRp9-K4TE

If that doesn't adequately prove a connection between Scientology and Greenfields, I don't know what will. Fortunately, pupil numbers are falling: the message is getting around.
Ah Alex & Holly!

Freeminds

The most recent Ofsted inspection was October 2009, which means they've got to expect another one some time soon, right? Fun!

Last time round, they achieved "satisfactory" overall, with the following recommendations in the report:
  • ensure that the school recruitment process is in line with Standard 38 and that all pre employment checks are carried out prior to commencement of employment
  • ensure that all staff, at all levels, (including newly appointed and ancillary staff) have been given briefing or training on responding to suspicions or allegations of abuse and know what action they take in response to such suspicions or allegations
  • ensure that all issues of a safeguarding nature are reported to the local authority safeguarding board
  • ensure appropriate medical consent is in place for each student attending the school
  • ensure that the head of boarding and medical co-ordinator receive appropriate levels of training regarding first aid
  • ensure accidents are recorded in a appropriate formal manner
  • ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected
  • ensure the dining room facilities and equipment is appropriate for use
  • ensure appropriate training is provided to independent visitors
A lot of these strike me as the kind of things that Scientology victims will disregard as mere 'wog' issues, so I think they will struggle to address them. Furthermore, a lot of light has been shed on the Scientology cult in the UK since late 2009, so I think we might see a less sympathetic review of a pseudoreligious school this time around. We shall see! Tick tock...

Lord Xenu

Patron Meritorious
The most recent Ofsted inspection was October 2009, which means they've got to expect another one some time soon, right? Fun!
A lot of these strike me as the kind of things that Scientology victims will disregard as mere 'wog' issues, so I think they will struggle to address them. Furthermore, a lot of light has been shed on the Scientology cult in the UK since late 2009, so I think we might see a less sympathetic review of a pseudoreligious school this time around. We shall see! Tick tock...

And then they'll claim 'religious' discrimination.

Freeminds

And then they'll claim 'religious' discrimination.

In a nation where Scientology isn't recognised as a religion (due to there being no public benefit, according to the Charities Commission)... good luck with that strategy, clams.