What's new

Greetings and all that

Eldin

Hello! Introductions aren't my strong point, but I'll start off with some basic information. My mom and dad were fairly young when they joined Scientology. They met each other while doing services at their local org in California. By the time I was born, my father was on staff and working a full-time job, so I didn't see him much. My mother had been on staff before I was born and left to take care of me and my older brother, though she joined back up again when I was 10 "for the greatest good." When I was 11 I joined staff, and I left when I was 15 due to medical conditions; also it was the worst thing ever.

I guess this isn't the spot for my story, so I'll end off there. For having an atypical, messed up childhood, I'm a pretty average 24-year-old guy. I like hiking, biking, cooking, playing video games and volunteering at my local shelter. The world outside of the church is still a little hard to get used to, but I am grateful every day for the life, friends and family I have now. I still have nightmares about the org, and there are days when getting out of bed is a battle, but every year is better than the last. :coolwink: Sunglasses are cool.

My main reason for being here is to get advice on how to get my dad and older brother out of Scientology. I know there's no magic cure, but I love them and want them to experience a world where they don't have to be so upset all the time. More than anything, I want to make sure my two little sisters have a better chance in life than I did, since they're still very young and living with my delusional father and his silly wife. I'll make a more specific post asking for advice and I'll give a bit of back story there, but I appreciate in advance any help you guys can give. Thanks!

-Eldin

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Hello! Introductions aren't my strong point, but I'll start off with some basic information. My mom and dad were fairly young when they joined Scientology. They met each other while doing services at their local org in California. By the time I was born, my father was on staff and working a full-time job, so I didn't see him much. My mother had been on staff before I was born and left to take care of me and my older brother, though she joined back up again when I was 10 "for the greatest good." When I was 11 I joined staff, and I left when I was 15 due to medical conditions; also it was the worst thing ever.

I guess this isn't the spot for my story, so I'll end off there. For having an atypical, messed up childhood, I'm a pretty average 24-year-old guy. I like hiking, biking, cooking, playing video games and volunteering at my local shelter. The world outside of the church is still a little hard to get used to, but I am grateful every day for the life, friends and family I have now. I still have nightmares about the org, and there are days when getting out of bed is a battle, but every year is better than the last. :coolwink: Sunglasses are cool.

My main reason for being here is to get advice on how to get my dad and older brother out of Scientology. I know there's no magic cure, but I love them and want them to experience a world where they don't have to be so upset all the time. More than anything, I want to make sure my two little sisters have a better chance in life than I did, since they're still very young and living with my delusional father and his silly wife. I'll make a more specific post asking for advice and I'll give a bit of back story there, but I appreciate in advance any help you guys can give. Thanks!

-Eldin

:welcome2::welcome2::welcome2:

This certainly is the place for your story if and when you feel like telling it Eldin.

I wish I could help with the advice you need but all I can suggest is that you keep on doing what you already are doing and enjoy your life ... in my experience people leave when they're ready but rarely do until then ... I expect you'll be there for them when/if they finally do but hopefully like you, your little sisters will be able to make their own way out when old enough.

I'm really glad you joined us and maybe others here will have some ideas for you.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Welcome Eldin. Your medical condition was a stroke of luck! Sometimes bad things can have a good side. I have no advice myself, but you'll get it here. May our collective hands (through the internet) on your shoulder give you strength.:yes:

I agree with I Told You I was Trouble. It sounds like you have got some positive things going, and continuing with those sounds like a good idea. Your sisters will be able to see by your example that you don't have to have Scientology to be happy. Good work with the volunteering....Scientology seems to have contempt for compassion.

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi, Eldin, and welcome to the board.

First of all, there is nothing you can you to make your father and brother believe they'd be better on the outside. Once they decide that they belong there, nothing can sway that.

But they may decide on their own to get out. If that happens, and you are there to provide a safe haven for them, that's the best thing you can do for them.

I'm assuming you're not declared or otherwise persona non grata around scientology. So you can write them, get letters back, and visit them once in a while. Don't say anything about their leaving scientology -- just let them know you love them and are there for them if they ever need any help.

You don't want to present an attitude of not being against scientology because if you do, they won't let you near them.

If they express any disaffection to you at all, arrange with them to have a code word in place, such as "gosh", that if it occurs at the beginning of a sentence, reverses the meaning. Such as, "Gosh, the weather is great" meaning "The weather's been terrible". (Such subterfuges are necessary because communications are monitored.)

If they ask for advice on how to get out, tell them the best way to just suddenly blow -- no "routing out" procedure or coming back to "route out the right way" once gone.

And one more thing -- get on with your life and start accumulating cash. You're going to need resources to fall back on if you suddenly need to help your relatives.

Good luck.

Helena

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Hi Eldin

You don't say whether your parents are in the SO or not, it sounds like they are in a local org - is that correct?

Anyway - I hope you are enjoying a good life - and the best thing you can do for your parents and your family is to just live a good, enjoyable life. Stay in touch with them, do not EVER get entangled in anything to do with Scientology don't co-sign loans, don't give money stay out of it altogether.

But the most important thing Eldin - is to live your life for YOU and, hopefully, for your future family.

Spirit

just another son of God
Eldin,
Welcome to ESMB! I hope you enjoy your time here. Helena Handbasket offered some excellent advice. It is best to allow your loved ones travel the road they have chosen.

shadow

Patron with Honors
Welcome Eldin,
One of the best things you can do is live well and be a an example of the good things outside scn.

Another thing would be to invite the nieces to a "vacation" away from home, if you have the space and time. Just a weekend or week that they spend with you (family) and take a break from the family they normally live with (and give the family a break as well). This is a good time to expose them to the good things in the wog world and show them it is not scary or insane (they may one day recognize the contrast with the world inside scn).

I hope your life continues to improve; you still have a lot of it to live. Please do not be afraid of seeking out medical help if you need it. Scn instills a fear of "psychs", which limits your options for obtaining real help.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi Eldin, :wave: and :welcome2:. You are the lucky one, to be out, and seemingly clear headed about your experience in the cult. :bravo: I am not sure you can get your dad and brother out. Good luck on that. I cannot offer any advice there. But I hope you live life to the fullest now. And I am glad you found your way here, to ESMB. Good work, young man. :wink2:

Free Being Me

Crusader
:welcome2: to ESMB Eldin. It's great you're out of the cult and living life on your terms. Be patient with the love you have for your family members still in.