Greetings Earthlings!

Mystic

Crusader
OMG. Now we have an Ogs. Not to be confused with ogg the audio format or Orcs the spam life entities.

Welcome Ogs.

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Requesting a "white paper"

Thanks again guys/gals/undecided, @ Mike, oh yes, well understood, (I did notice a possible time descepancy in my post too btw, to explain a bit; I had a very good friend 20 years ago who was a devotee of CoS, we spent many hours arguing (like pulling eye-teeth really) on this and that, and one of my good mates IRL was 'in' until 96-97 and by in I mean over 20 years, he was on the ground floor for many things and has given me an interesting point of view (also hung out and partied with the old windbag hisself), unfortuantely he is still a bit zorched and I truly hope one day I can point him here :yes: )

Cheers to all you good folk!

Ogs

Thanks for the reply, Ogs. :)

I would be very interested to hear more detail about your "take" on those arguments of 20 years ago and what was the outcome - did the friend "wake up"...or what?

20 years ago I was likely analogous to you friend and was unswayed by the arguments of family and friends...which I, today, cannot explain or justify. :confused2::duh:

Then too, moar please re those "...interesting points of view..." when the spirit moves ya, of course. :coolwink:

Yr fren,

EP

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi

Hi Ogs,

I have heard your voice elsewhere, a place I lurk, now and then, and I like the sound of it. :coolwink:

Welcomes, and all that :yes:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
My 'take' on philosophical talks with my scio friends,

Thanks for the reply, Ogs. :)

I would be very interested to hear more detail about your "take" on those arguments of 20 years ago and what was the outcome - did the friend "wake up"...or what?

20 years ago I was likely analogous to you friend and was unswayed by the arguments of family and friends...which I, today, cannot explain or justify. :confused2::duh:

Then too, moar please re those "...interesting points of view..." when the spirit moves ya, of course. :coolwink:

Yr fren,

EP

A fair question EP, and one I'll attempt at answering even if my old 'way back' machine is a tad rusty.
I met 'Vin' (not his real name obviously)through a mutual acquaintance in the early 80's, we were a relatively large group of people who just sort of hung out together, partied, had fun, looked out for one another, all the good and the bad (far too few survive to this day unfortunately). Vin was an interesting sort, a big muscular guy, handsome, arrogant, and bright. He was also very much into scientology (btw, I do not capitalize that, ever).
He was also a helluva chess player and not too shabby at poker too.
Everyone in our circle had one thing in common, a sort of humanistic bent of philosophy and live and let live ethic short of causing destruction or grief to others. Some believed in God, some were punks, some were Buddhists, most didn't give a crap about what you believed as long as you were civilized and respectful to creatures great and small and loved rock 'n' roll.
At that time in my own life I was doing a lot of writing, poetry mostly (which I'd love to share but unfortunately this would def name-fag me), doing lots of readings, playing lots of music (percussion and vocals here). Vin moved to our area and began to hang out with 'the crowd du-jour' so ta speak.
We talked a number of times and I'll tell you this~ never in my life had I met such a pig headed, arrogant, yet likable person, before. There was no talking sense to him really, he was very set in his ways, but to find out what his ways were, or what he truly believed, was an exercise in futility :confused2:
My take? Goddamn that man is a mess of dichotomous evasivity, wtf? Where I had, for years, had many open dialogs with people of all shapes and sizes, this person though drove me bananas trying to get at where he thought he came from. It was truly a frustrating exercise. We ended up just not getting too deep into the ways of the world, he wrote me off as a misguided wog, I wrote him off as something akin to a fanatic with no real compass. At around that time I had tried to wade my way through Dianetics out of curiosity, but my mind was not gullible or something, and I thought the writing, as well as many of the thought structures and conclusions, were at best slightly warped and poorly founded. What was of value in it, if anything at all, had been done by others years, or centuries, before, and done far better.
After a year or so of butting heads we ended up agreeing to disagree, and just carried on with our lives without getting into things too deeply; we did remain friends until several years later (around '89 or so) when I left that part of the country.
Every so often, when in a reminiscing state of mind, I wonder what ever became of him, even tried to track him a couple of times through my connections and also on the net, nadda.
It was not until a few years ago, when I started to take a look into the cult more deeply, did many of the old pieces fall into place about Vin. It makes sense now and I think I understand him better for it. I just wish I still was in touch and able to talk *sigh*~ Hey Vin! If your out there and ever see this, you'll know I mean it mon.
I know to most this is a big tl;dr wall o; text, but it wasn't meant fer ya, so there :p
That there, EP, is my meagre take on it, nothing profound I'm sure, but its been interesting to me to think back on it all, been a long time and brought back many other memories too (mostly good stuff :) ).

Cheers,

Ogs

Edit> Thanks for the kind words Lurker5, I must say I'm a tad surprized that more than one r' two have commented thusly, I am blushed *bows and extends hand* :)

Last edited:

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
A starting point...perhaps

Again, thanks, Ogs, for your thoughtful response!

I like this part very much (bolding mine):

"My take? Goddamn that man is a mess of dichotomous evasivity, wtf? Where I had, for years, had many open dialogs with people of all shapes and sizes, this person though drove me bananas trying to get at where he thought he came from".

It occurs to me that for many years, some might have described me similarly.

Over the next day or so I will see what falls out and report back!

Best regards,

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Again, thanks, Ogs, for your thoughtful response!

I like this part very much (bolding mine):

"My take? Goddamn that man is a mess of dichotomous evasivity, wtf? Where I had, for years, had many open dialogs with people of all shapes and sizes, this person though drove me bananas trying to get at where he thought he came from".

It occurs to me that for many years, some might have described me similarly.

Over the next day or so I will see what falls out and report back!

Best regards,

Hm, not sure if want, but, um okay XP

Regards as well, too, also! :) (and for
dog's saken don't be too hard on yerself) but the curious folk liek me do need to see what 'falls out' :thumbsup:
It will be examined with a fine-tooth comb, or a magnifying glass, or stuff..

mnql1

Patron Meritorious
Nice to see you here

Hi Ogs! I like your thoughtful and expressive style, and it's a pleasant surprise to be reading you on ESMB as well as WWP.