What's new

Happy Birthday ESMB!

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
In a couple of hours it will be the 4th of January 2008, one year to the day that ESMB was launched.

Weeks before I had decided that another message board was needed. One with no other agenda than to allow ex Scientologists to get together and talk. One that welcomed all viewpoints on Scientology in a civilised environment where we could learn from each other. I wanted it to be like XSO where people felt safe to express their opinions without getting beaten up, and I wanted it to be open to everyone.

So I started to look for message board setups. I found several that seemed suitable but once it came time for testing I would find that they didn't have the functionality I wanted, so I would scrap that & start over. I think I had 3 or 4 false starts. Strangely enough Sten Arne was very helpful to me at that stage and although we ended up at odds, I am still grateful for the help I got from him at that time.

Finally I realised that the free options just weren't going to cut it and so after being up ALL night and becoming completely exasperated with the last free board I tried, I bit the bullet and bought the VBulletin package and some hosting. I'm very glad that I did. Not only has my original cost been worth it in the success of the board, it has almost been 100% repaid by the kind donations I have received (something I never expected but was very grateful for).

I remember thinking that I wanted to launch this on a Friday night US time so that people reading ars & OCMB over the weekend would see the announcement and check it out. So after about 48 hours of no sleep I had ESMB up and running and made my announcements.

I was terrified.

I really had no idea whether this would be a success or not. I didn't know what to expect. I got a fair bit of opposition to the board initially as people were suspicious of my motives. I'm very happy to say that 12 months down the track nearly every one of my original detractors has admitted that they were wrong and have since wished me well.

I've already published the stats for the end of December in another thread but I want to recap the whole year.

In just 12 months we have had over 2300 threads created by over 400 members who have made over 53000 posts. There have been a total of 63000 unique vistors who visited 220000 times to read 4.5 million pages of posts written by you.

Isn't that amazing!

When I started this thing I had NO IDEA that I would be blessed with the standard of people that make up this board. I never thought that I could get that lucky.

You are smart and funny and humble and generous. Yes you. You reading this. You are what make this board a success. You share your knowledge and your stories so that others may benefit. You tell your jokes so that others may laugh. You create an environment where others can ask their questions in safety and you provide those answers.

I feel so honoured that each of you are here and talking. Saying thank you doesn't seem enough but it's all I have. So THANK YOU.

Only one thing left to say:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ESMB!

ESMBbday.jpg

In a couple of hours it will be the 4th of January 2008, one year to the day that ESMB was launched.

In just 12 months we have had over 2300 threads created by over 400 members who have made over 53000 posts. There have been a total of 63000 unique vistors who visited 220000 times to read 4.5 million pages of posts written by you.

Isn't that amazing!

Sure is ! :thumbsup:

It's clear you've filled a void. You've even managed to be a bit controversial as well - that's a sure sign of success. :wink2:

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks for the background info Emma.

It has been an exciting year and I know it has not always been an easy one for you, Emma.

You have done wonderfully well. Congratulations on this tremendous achievement! :thumbsup:

A couple of days ago a Googled a phrase to do with Scn and in number three were some very familar words. It was one of my posts on ESMB!

As well as all the wonderful facilities for help, friendship and open discussion that ESMB provides, it is fantastic to know that Joe Public when looking for info about Scn are being directed to this board which is so honest and diverse compared to some other boards.

Well done Emma! :)

Vinaire

Sponsor
The only Scientology Message Boards I have ever been on is Beliefnet and this one, and I haven't posted on beliefnet in a long time.

I wonder if this board could grow to include other religions like Beliefnet does.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
:thankyou: Congratulations, Emma. This board has been great for me and many others. (For those who post, and for those who lurk).

Celebration is in order!!!

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I have said this before - Emma you have created a massive turning point in the recovery of those damaged and lost after their time in Scientology by creating a safe place. And the effects of this will ripple on in ways we can't imagine. What a lovely thought!

I would never have dreamed a year ago that I would tell my story online, or that I would find so many answers in the stories I have read and discussions on many views and subjects.

Thankyou Emma, and everyone else who makes this board what it is. And long may it continue.:happydance:

Happy Birfday to YOO ESMB!

:clap: :buzzin: :dance3: :cheerleader: :hifive: :party:

petraph33

Patron with Honors
thank you and congratulations

Thanks for the background info Emma.

It has been an exciting year and I know it has not always been an easy one for you, Emma.

You have done wonderfully well. Congratulations on this tremendous achievement! :thumbsup:

A couple of days ago a Googled a phrase to do with Scn and in number three were some very familar words. It was one of my posts on ESMB!

As well as all the wonderful facilities for help, friendship and open discussion that ESMB provides, it is fantastic to know that Joe Public when looking for info about Scn are being directed to this board which is so honest and diverse compared to some other boards.

Well done Emma! :)

What he said! It's great. Thanks and happy birthday! :happydance:

Peter Schilte

Patron with Honors
Navy!!

You're back!!!

Happy Birthday to you!!
I was never away! But I mostly lurk here, in fact everyday.
Like I do on OCMB, too. But nowadays it is ARS consuming a lot of my time. And reading evrywhere takes the rest. The little time sometimes left, I spend on my own website, which grew from 11 to 23 pages.

Thanks for missing me! :hattip:

jodie

Patron with Honors
Congratulations, Emma!!!

You have done such a good thing here, it is beyond words. There are GREAT people here, and I love being here. This is what has been needed for YEARS.

So to you for holding out against all the yapping, for your time and financial investment - and to the really wonderful people here who have made ESMB what it is - THANK YOU!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

:thankyou: :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

and - WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

- jodie

(who is in danger of getting seriously sappy here).

Barbz

Patron with Honors
Congratulations!

It's been a great year. This year should be even better as more people twig to this destructive cult's influence on their lives.