What's new

Has your submission been "declined" as a formal submission?

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Thanks for writing the letter and keeping on top of things Carmel. There certainly seem to be odd things about the handling of these submissions within the Commission and I would hope that the senators in question raise their own questions. The lack of transparency of the process is suggestive of manipulation of the process itself.

Wouldn't it be ironic if it was Scientology corruption of secular governmental inquiry that led to an examination of Scientology corruption of society. Is *this* what donations to the 'Church' buy as 'charity'?

Zinj

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
If you have been notified that your submission has been "declined as a formal submission", due to lack of relevance, *don't* be concerned.

snip

So, just leave your submission as it is, know that your voice will be heard, and that the info you've provided will help.

I received a denial from "John Hawkins." I forwarded the submission & denial to Sen. Xenaphon's office. I had spoken to members of his staff in the past.

http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/senators/homepages/senators.asp?id=8IV

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
Mine got declined as a formal submission too, due to relevance, but I wrote back and queried it. I stated that if their are organisations out there getting tax benefits and I have knowledge of them covering up criminal activities and encouraging people into bankruptcy, etc, this information would be relevant to bringing in a benefits test that stops such organisations receiving undeserved tax exemptions.

freethinker

Sponsor
I tried to do the upload thing and it took 24 hrs to send me the code to complete my registration, but then I could not do that as it would not give me the option to give an address outside of Australia so I emailed it anreceived two replies:
~

THE SENATE
ECONOMICS LEGISLATION COMMITTEE

Inquiry into the Tax Laws Amendment (Public Benefit Test) Bill 2010
We write to thank you for your recent correspondence to the Senate Economics Legislation Committee's inquiry into the Tax Laws Amendment (Public Benefit Test) Bill 2010 which proposes the introduction of a 'public benefit test' for religious and charitable organisations seeking tax exempt status.
This inquiry examines the operation of the tax laws in Australia. Submissions that are accepted by the Committee attract Parliamentary Privilege. However privilege does not extend to jurisdictions outside of Australia. Given this, your correspondence will not be included in the Committee's inquiry as a formal submission but it will be made available to the Committee members.

Kind regards,

John Hawkins
Secretary

And
Thank you,
Your submission has been received and will be considered by the Committee.

Regards,

Hana Jones
Executive Assistant
Senate Economics Committee
Ph: 02 6277 5786
Fax: 02 6277 5719

This is why, according to what I was told when I called, that mine was not accepted.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Good letter, Carmel.
I submitted mine three days ago and haven't heard anything back yet.

Are all the accepted submissions on their website? I see there are 70 as of now.

In Adelaide, 1985, the submissions folder was over 1.5 inches thick. While the time allocated for people to get submissions in was dismally brief, I suspect that "70" will grow into hundreds during the course of examining all material received.