What's new

Have you ever experienced nodding off during TR0 ??

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
This description of this particular technique seems so familiar, anyone who recalls something like this, please email me..

Encyclopedia of Hypnotism by Carla Emery wrote:

The paternal induction style is abrupt, shocking, dictatorial, highly
authoritarian in tone, a domineering technique based on fear. A
paternal-style induction uses a fast, directive induction method with
a cold, unfriendly tone of voice. Ferenczi said that paternal hypnosis
reawakens the hating and fearing attitude learned by a little child
when disciplined by his parents. He said that, in paternal hypnosis,
the subject is motivated by need for "abasement" and for "compliance."
According to psychoanalysts, that need for abasement is an infantile,
erotic, masochistic complex.

Such a subject is in awe of the hypnotist, and submits to the
operator's demands out of fear of him.
...the hypnotist with the imposing exterior, who works by frightening
and startling...[is like] the stern, all-powerful father, to believe
in, to obey, to imitate whom, is the highest ambition of every child...
[hypnosis] consists in the deliberate establishment of conditions
under which the tendency to blind belief and uncritical obedience
present in everyone, but usually kept repressed by the censor (remains
of the infantile-erotic loving and fearing of the parents), may
unconsciously be transferred to the person hypnotizing... (Ferenczi,
Sex in Psychoanalysis,Ch. 2)
[...]

Hypnosis always arouses a childlike state of mind: dependence and
transference. Transference means relating
to the hypnotist as if to a parent figure, hero, or godlike spiritual
leader.

...the hypnotic subject is being directed to assume a state of mind in
which mature discriminations
are excluded and childish dependence upon the hypnotist is encouraged.
As some people are pleased to be in a state where life seems narrowed
down to an easily manageable level of closeness with a powerful
guiding parent, hypnosis is in no danger of extinction... (Kovel, p.
209)

In the midst of World War II, Margaret Estabrook reported, in a
Seattle newspaper, on research which created
an artificial childhood: ...hypnosis is a peculiar relationship
between two people. The hypnotist is a figure of parental authority,
just as a doctor is to a patient, or a teacher to his pupil. Even more
strikingly than in these other relationships, the subject tends to
respond emotionally to the hypnotist in the same manner that he
responded to his own parents in his childhood. In particular,
"parental" commands in the form of suggestions are readily obeyed...
(Margaret Estabrook, 1942, p. 1)
[...]
A hypnotist's use of authority can vary wildly. He can create the
state, then let the subject take full control; training in biofeedback
does that. At the other extreme, the hypnotist uses a totally
authoritarian strategy in which the subject never is expected to have
self-control in the hypnotic state again. Suggested total amnesia for
all events under trance may cause the subject to be consciously
unknowing of their hypnotic relationship. Complete amnesia is not
typical, however, even of deep trance events. Hypnosis, at best, is a
special way of encouraging a subject's unconscious mind to activate
its own capacity for healing. At worst, it can be the tool of an
abusive parasitizing of one mind by another for the purpose of
exploitation.
Crap.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
But a "fool" made wiser by his foolishness! :thumbsup:

One idea I've had recently is that Hubbard made the subject deliberately complex and contradictory. His aim: to confuse his slaves so they fumble for a stable datum. The stable datum they latch onto is Hubbard's instructions for their "hat", or his latest tech release/rundown, or secret command. In this way he further enslaved his slaves. :duh:
Either that, or his overly-simplistic attempts kept meeting with failure.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, intimidation works. Hypnotism, to me, is crap, because I've never seen a good definition for it that doesn't include every single receptive, attentive behavior a person ever undergoes: whenever you are receptive and attentive, you are tuning in to something else, and could be said to be hypnotized. Listening to a record is hypnotic. Jerking off is hypnotic. Whatever.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, intimidation works. Hypnotism, to me, is crap, because I've never seen a good definition for it that doesn't include every single receptive, attentive behavior a person ever undergoes: whenever you are receptive and attentive, you are tuning in to something else, and could be said to be hypnotized. Listening to a record is hypnotic. Jerking off is hypnotic. Whatever.

By the above could hypnotism be a little too close to auditing for comfort?

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's the intent of the comparison. Of course, since everything is hypnotism, auditing is, too.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes hypnosis is practically 'everywhere', trance states are a part of life.

What is important beyond any possible stress and emphasis, is WHO is the operator..in clinical or stage hypnosis it is the hypnotist, in scientology it is Hubbard doing it through his clones "duplicating source"... or Hubbard himself in a tape or book or PL.

In stage hypnosis the old writers explain that the 'prestige' and 'altitude' and 'professional bearing' of the hypnotist is essential for RAPID inductions... because of the increased expectation... - and the most simple definition of hypnosis, is what occurs when anything or anyone focuses your attention upon one thing for a length of time.

After 20 minutes of deep meditation, I even checked the E-meter a couple times and found a nice wide F/N..

Taking control of your own trance state, by practice, is called "meditation". Once you become intimately familiar with invoking and ending your own trance states, YOU get back in your driver's seat and throw out whomever was there, be it Hubbard, or the abusive individual or ..the man on TV to quote an old Rolling Stone's song, Satisfaction:

When I'm watchin' my TV
And that man comes on to tell me
How white my shirts can be
But he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarrettes as me

-------------

Last edited:

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
In hypnotism the operator takes the place of the subject's parents, father or mother. The subject transfers to the hypnotist the feeling he had for his parent as a child. The attitude of the operator in question will determine whether he is to be the father or mother. If the subject, as a child, was submissive to his parent, he will be a good hypnotic subject and vice versa. This attitude of the child is obviously one of emotion, so that hypnotism, according to Ferenzi, would depend on emotion. A neat theory which may or may not be true. The writer is inclined to favor it.

Be that as it may, we can now perhaps see a little more clearly how the laws of hypnotism may become so very important in our everyday life. Every situation we face in life is a social situation, that it so say it involves other people. Almost invariably this situation involves a leader. He may be appointed, he may seize authority, or he may just gravitate to the top. The boss in the office is a typical example, the dictator on the radio not so typical but far more powerful. Now if by any device this leader can arouse our emotions, can “get under our skins,” then his words, his suggestions, falling on our sensitized brains will have far more weight than those same suggestions given us by a stranger or in a magazine article where no emotion is involved. He is, for all intents and purposes, a hypnotist.

Our reactions may be antagonistic – negative suggestion-- but we will react violently. But if the dictator or boss in question knows his business he will take care not to arouse antagonism. He will appeal to the pleasure principle in some form or other. He will tell us that we are being persecuted, robbed, hemmed in. He will appeal to our patriotism, our love of home and family. He will promise us security, wealth, glory if we do what he says. And if he knows what he is about we will fall under his spell just as surely as a subject ever falls under the trance of the hypnotist.

This technique of “direct” or “prestige” suggestion we see clearly in the stage hypnotist. His success depends on a forceful frontal attack. He never allows the subject's gaze to shift from his own and literally bullies him into the hypnotic trance. Here we have clear evidence of the emotional factor in hypnosis. The psychologist in his laboratory also uses this prestige suggestion although in quieter form. But whether it be the stage hypnotist, the laboratory psychologist or Hitler on the radio, results are the same, so far as psychology is concerned. The suggestions fall on a highly sensitized brain and such suggestions have tremendous force, a force altogether out of proportion to any value the proposals, as such, may have.

Let us now consider a few facts which we have gathered from our study of hypnotism in the laboratory. One in every five of the human race are highly suggestible, at least half are suggestible to a very considerable degree. But here mere figures do not tell the story. That one-fifth has a power far beyond its numbers, for this typer of man, acting under direct suggestion, is no mere average person. He is a fanatic in the highest – or lowest – sense of the word.
Page 135-136 Hypnotism by George Estabrooks.

http://www.lermanet.com/exit/hypnosis-index.htm <updated

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
I had an experience while doing the Tours Course in LA in the early 70's. At the time we were required to do OT TR0 for what seemed like weeks.

There was a guy sitting adjacent to me and my twin who starting rocking then sweating and who eventually after about an hour or so appeared to be speaking in tongues and foaming at the mouth.

I'm not joking about this, it really happened.

They (Course Sups) finally took him outside, after he calmed down a little.

On Wilshire Blvd. Believe it or Not. :omg:

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
LOL

I had an experience while doing the Tours Course in LA in the early 70's. At the time we were required to do OT TR0 for what seemed like weeks.

There was a guy sitting adjacent to me and my twin who starting rocking then sweating and who eventually after about an hour or so appeared to be speaking in tongues and foaming at the mouth.

I am glad you clarified this, Noz, as a TRUE happening. With you, if it is funny, one can't be sure :D.

No wonder you have a good sense of the bizarre . . . :whistling:

AnonKat

Crusader

Drug Withdrawl Sympthoms ?

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's an interesting case, Nozy!

Love your sense of humor too! :D

Buddy of mine and I would sometimes do OT TR0
just to catch up on sleep. :whistling:

Last edited:

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh, I see what you're getting at. Trying to get these kids on ESMB to focus on anything is like trying to herd cats. I sometimes think the whole crew has ADD or sumthin'.

I nodded off many times doing TR 0 . I think it was more likely due to working 80 hours a week and not eating or sleeping properly.

Hypnotism, not so much.

Follow my finger................................................................................................................................................