What's new

Healing after Scientology- recapturing the soul

JustSheila

Crusader
I read that site as suggesting complementary aids rather than substitutes.
I am epileptic and AFAIK it is very unusual for an epileptic to get rid of seizures without drugs. I need my meds. However certain things do help and have actually been supported by doctors (plural). For example magnesium. I have read that taurine has apparently reduced seizures in some people. I take it for anxiety and other issues resulting from sleeping problems. I have also read that GABA has shown positive results with epilepsy -although there is the issue about crossing the brain barrier. I agree with you that quackery as an answer to epilepsy is dangerous, but with epilepsy and interelated compounding issues nutrition awareness can help if it is informed by research, which it can be.

IDK anything about GABA, but some of the MDs here recommend taurine and magnesium for epilepsy in addition to the meds. They are pretty good with suggesting non-harmful supplements to assist in controlling seizures, because the meds aren't a guarantee.

One of the clients I work with has epilepsy, another two have Parkinson's. They have minor shakes in the morning before the meds take effect. I make a point of avoiding sudden temperature changes, i.e., cold floor tiles, and sometimes grip the extremities firmly but gently with a downward stroking motion. This usually eliminates, or at least minimises, the shakes. I am not sure if the effect is psychological or physical, because it is comforting to the client so keeps anxiety to a minimum, but it does help. Others who do not do this have not been as successful with controlling the clients' shakes. Just my two cents, maybe you'll find it helpful. :yes:

AnonKat

Crusader
[video=youtube;lksOe-MmFWo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lksOe-MmFWo[/video]

I was wondering what people have done after Scientology to heal?

I left Scientology with epilepsy, a suitcase of clothes and a load of broken dreams. A homeless, jobless bum having lost most of my friendships.

Recently I started acupuncture and have found it extremely affective. One very sad thing came of it. I'm better at guitar than I've ever been and haven't been able to put it down and it made me think about my long lost dream of being a musician. Not long before joining Scientology I'd been and got a drum machine to play guitar with and was looking at joining a band. Many of us had dreams, goals and hobbies that somehow got lost with the idea of "going up the bridge" where I desire to help others go free was really genuine.

When I left Scientology I put on weight and after since I've had a misshapen body (though not fat) and poor metabolism. With the acupuncture I can feel my body change and even during periods of high seizure activity I feel that there is more energy in my body.

I've also committed the high crime of going to a therapist! I referred myself to help for the side effects of epilepsy which have been quite debilitating and I have my third sessions on Wednesday and it's gone well so far. I think it's a form of CBT I've had and something called "mindfulness".

So plenty of "wins" to be had from "other practises". I would love to hear if anyone else has tried either of the above or anything else to help themselves. For me, I feel that I have some "lost years", I can't imagine how many of you feel that you have "lost decades". It's extremely painful but a mountain than can be climbed.

IDK anything about GABA, but some of the MDs here recommend taurine and magnesium for epilepsy in addition to the meds. They are pretty good with suggesting non-harmful supplements to assist in controlling seizures, because the meds aren't a guarantee.

One of the clients I work with has epilepsy, another two have Parkinson's. They have minor shakes in the morning before the meds take effect. I make a point of avoiding sudden temperature changes, i.e., cold floor tiles, and sometimes grip the extremities firmly but gently with a downward stroking motion. This usually eliminates, or at least minimises, the shakes. I am not sure if the effect is psychological or physical, because it is comforting to the client so keeps anxiety to a minimum, but it does help. Others who do not do this have not been as successful with controlling the clients' shakes. Just my two cents, maybe you'll find it helpful. :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wd2DveN0R0

chuckbeatty

Patron with Honors

I left Scientology with epilepsy, a suitcase of clothes and a load of broken dreams. A homeless, jobless bumd.

I tell people to reach out to social agencies, where there are people college trained in better options for helping than us ex members, frankly.

If you need to go on welfare and utilize society's free help, do so! And note the goodness of those that offer that help! They compared to Scientology's limited help, is striking.

At least you have the chat sites to commiserate and get some advice.

My advice, there is NO shame in going on welfare.

Staff live below poverty, and going on welfare is moving UP from Scientology staff life, and social agencies have people trained to better council people in dire straights, compared to ex members.

Ex members on chat sites have the ability to understand, but not necessarily good advice for career forward movement in life, realistically.

In LA, the Venice Family Clinic is the place to go for free counseling help.

866-XSEAORG.

I had to go on welfare since I was uninsured and needed cancer surgery, years back, and found the social workers excellent at helping!

Talking with ex members is good quick help in terms of commiserating the backlog of Scientology movement idiocies you experienced. But I tell people in dire straits see their social agencies, see local officials who help those in dire need! They are realistic with your options, if you cannot rely on family or others.

There are scattered around the country people who have in the past offered to hire ex staff, for a short time, to help those ex staff get back on their feet. Again, though, social agencies in the US states are professionals!

When I was on the RPF'S RPF, in LA, I insisted, and went to the LA Public Library branch nearest the HGB, the Hilhurst St Branch of the LA Library, and browsed the hundreds of free help organizaitons in LA alone, that help those in desperate need, since I figured that is one place should I have to just blow, I'd go seek out their help. Librarians are helpful just ask them for the books listing the local free help options one has in your major city that you find yourself in.

https://sites.google.com/a/icsa.name/events/overview-co
http://free.icsa.name/

http://www.bps.org.uk/news/children-cults-face-later-problems

https://www.canadahelps.org/CharityProfilePage.aspx?charityID=s37870
http://www.icsahome.com/infoserv_profile/kropveld_mike.asp

Jeff Hawkins' books, online, free, are excellent, and for mid life career changing, Jeff recommended "What Color is Your Parachute" out of which the advice to choose a career that you like, and stick to it, is the best advice of all.

Last edited:

dbnope444

I left Scientology with epilepsy, a suitcase of clothes and a load of broken dreams. A homeless, jobless bum having lost most of my friendships.

Recently I started acupuncture and have found it extremely affective. One very sad thing came of it. I'm better at guitar than I've ever been and haven't been able to put it down and it made me think about my long lost dream of being a musician. Not long before joining Scientology I'd been and got a drum machine to play guitar with and was looking at joining a band. Many of us had dreams, goals and hobbies that somehow got lost with the idea of "going up the bridge" where I desire to help others go free was really genuine.

When I left Scientology I put on weight and after since I've had a misshapen body (though not fat) and poor metabolism. With the acupuncture I can feel my body change and even during periods of high seizure activity I feel that there is more energy in my body.

I've also committed the high crime of going to a therapist! I referred myself to help for the side effects of epilepsy which have been quite debilitating and I have my third sessions on Wednesday and it's gone well so far. I think it's a form of CBT I've had and something called "mindfulness".

So plenty of "wins" to be had from "other practises". I would love to hear if anyone else has tried either of the above or anything else to help themselves. For me, I feel that I have some "lost years", I can't imagine how many of you feel that you have "lost decades". It's extremely painful but a mountain than can be climbed.

Do you have any friends nearby who share your reality of having left Scio.? Are you a trained auditor? If so then handle each others similar charge. If you are alone the process of as-isness can still work. There is nothing in your case which can hurt you because you addressed it so don't be afraid to do so alone at night in your own meditative thoughts. There is no dragon to slay as you may have been told. Even if you "mess up" trying you eventually will come out ahead. Validate your own rightness and stay as true to yourself during this time as you can (to better enhance your ability to as-is.) There is no crime or shame in seeing any kind of therapist if this is helpful to you. If anything you try helps or improves you then by all means do it. You are a free man/woman? So let that be your measuring stick. (Helps me-keep it doesn't help me-lose it.) Many of the unwanted ideas you were indoctrinated into believing will vanish as you heal . . . some quicker than others. The main thing I would recommend here is to heal. I hope you have a close friend you can heal with as this is the best but if not it is still not hopeless. Believe me I got more case gain after I left the C.of S. than I ever got while on staff or in any course or session.So there is plenty to hope for. If you cannot find a close friend to exchange charge-blowing sessions and have little or no training . . . do not worry, for then my best hope for you is that you live as true to yourself and as clean in this truth in living as you can to help you achieve any as-issness you need because then I believe you can reach about any as-isness eventually. The C.of S. did not want you to realize this but two terminals are not essential to achieving any as-isness. You can do this. Of course you will make mistakes but so what . . . you'll recover and be that much better. Keep us all posted on your progress and I wish you the very best. dbnope444