What's new

Helena Kobrin blows?

tikk

Patron with Honors
Marty is so full of shit. Did you see the words "Pinellas County Mediators" in the 2nd document? It's obvious to me (but not confirmed because I wasn't there) that Helena represented the cult in mediation with Gary Lerner and the FSSO guy made a major screw-up in processing the claim.

Mediation is a lawsuit alternative offered to parties to resolve claims. Pinellas County Mediation is offered through the State Bar that licenses attorneys & provides legal referrals. Lerner, obviously, wanted to avoid the high costs of litigation & agreed to mediate his claims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediation

I have no doubt Marty knows this & is deliberately misrepresenting it to massage his inflated ego.

I don't know exactly what to make of this but it seems to me that the far more plausible interpretation of events is that which you suggest--that someone at FSSO was told to send Lerner's releases and waivers to Kobrin (which would make sense, probably to check over for accuracy) and mistakenly created a release packet in Kobrin's name (even helpfully researching the account balance) and sent it to Lerner. This is the kind of mistake that could easily get a paralegal fired, especially as it discloses confidential information to distinterested parties (and indeed, the world), but seems far more likely to have occurred than for them to have mistakenly sent over Kobrin's actual release forms to Lerner. If Kobrin was going to leave Scientology my guess is that it'd involve more than boilerplate legal forms given what she does for Scientology.

Krautfag

Patron Meritorious
Be THRILLED!! It is true. The FSSO Chaplin sent Helena Kobrin's repayment request to me. If you look at the letter that the Chaplin sent it's addressed to me and references Helena Kobrin also. I asked the FSSO Treasury Secretary about the $17K amount listed and he replied back that it was a mistake. Read the other PDF file I put on my blog that shows the emails between myself and Krister Nilsson (FSSO Treas. Sec.). Yeah, they did F... Up!!

ΘTater/GaryLerner (just a villager with torches for davey)

Welcome Gary.

Yeah, there definitely is a fuckup, and as much as I hope that the cult lost one of their top tier lawyers, I fear the fuckup is that the FSSO person wanted to send a copy of the mail exchange with you to Kobrin and screwed up the letterheads in the process.

Overall it's terribly hard to tell if it's one way or another, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

How's your refund going anyway? Got some cash back?

has anyone tried contacting Helena? If it is true and if she has requested a refund then obviously the whole SP connection is a dead issue for her. ...

Don't get your hopes up. IF it all turns out to be true, then nonetheless as an attorney working for a firm with ties to the church Kobrin would still in all likelihood NOT be in a position to make public statements with regard to her knowledge about the church leadership and their past actions.

IANAL and I'm wholly speculating here ... but it's a d@mn good bet that she's got non-disclosure agreements in place with the moxon firm as well as matters of professional ethics which would prevent her from spilling any beans about the church. The one little ray of sunshine would be if she were to volunteer to testify to law enforcement about possible criminality of which she might be aware. And even that is a very 'sticky' area requiring the advice of an attorney.

Ergo: don't hope for much except for possible reverberations of shock throughout the upper levels of the church.

Mark A. Baker

tikk

Patron with Honors
Don't get your hopes up. IF it all turns out to be true, then nonetheless as an attorney working for a firm with ties to the church Kobrin would still in all likelihood NOT be in a position to make public statements with regard to her knowledge about the church leadership and their past actions.

IANAL and I'm wholly speculating here ... but it's a d@mn good bet that she's got non-disclosure agreements in place with the moxon firm as well as matters of professional ethics which would prevent her from spilling any beans about the church. The one little ray of sunshine would be if she were to volunteer to testify to law enforcement about possible criminality of which she might be aware. And even that is a very 'sticky' area requiring the advice of an attorney.

Ergo: don't hope for much except for possible reverberations of shock throughout the upper levels of the church.

Mark A. Baker

That's about right. Purely as a matter of legal ethics, it would be nearly impossible for any attorney representing Scientology to turn on them and spill the beans. The most common scenario where it becomes possible is where the attorney needs to defend his or herself against accusations brought by their client, but even then only in the most pointed and limited contexts. But more generally, an attorney's duty of loyalty (and thus to remain tight-lipped) outlives the client-attorney relationship itself.

Welcome Gary.

Yeah, there definitely is a fuckup, and as much as I hope that the cult lost one of their top tier lawyers, I fear the fuckup is that the FSSO person wanted to send a copy of the mail exchange with you to Kobrin and screwed up the letterheads in the process.

Overall it's terribly hard to tell if it's one way or another, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

How's your refund going anyway? Got some cash back?

Hi Krautfag,

Yes, I did get my repayment. Meager as it was but at least I got it. If only the idiots at IAS would do the same for OT8 and OT9 donations.

Gary

Krautfag

Patron Meritorious
Hi Krautfag,

Yes, I did get my repayment. Meager as it was but at least I got it. If only the idiots at IAS would do the same for OT8 and OT9 donations.

Gary

Heh, not gonna happen. I have heard of refunds, repayments and settlements for quid pro quo-money (service for cash). I have never heard of getting any money back from the IAS, as those are real donations, regged under whatever conditions. If you want that money back, you have to pry it from their dead cold hands :)

Feral

Rogue male
I think that it's possible that Kobrin did in fact get a repayment from the Freewinds and they accidentally left her name on the computer generated form they sent to Gary.

It happened before to "Out Ethics Officer" and thus he was introduced to Mike Laws and the Gunther Laws story.

But those who know me know I'm a glass half full feller.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

Mark A. Baker

Well I am sure that there will be no great exposures - Attorney client privilege is close to ironclad.

But if the cofs has lost Kobrin it represents a significant crack in the armor.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I think that it's possible that Kobrin did in fact get a repayment from the Freewinds and they accidentally left her name on the computer generated form they sent to Gary.

It happened before to "Out Ethics Officer" and thus he was introduced to Mike Laws and the Gunther Laws story.

well from I gather, Kev, the glass don't stay half full for very long...

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
has anyone tried contacting Helena? If it is true and if she has requested a refund then obviously the whole SP connection is a dead issue for her.

Henry Breuer the chaplain at the FSSO? whoda thunk my old org officer would still be in there. Henry is truly a nice guy - so sad to think that he has dedicated this much of his life to such a pathetic cause.

Poor Henry. He's made a mistake and he's bound to pay for it.

Agreed. That was my first thought upon seeing it. It's exactly the same kind of mistake. It's a mistake which brought Mike Laws to ESMB. We started discussing Gunther after a similar snafu and Mike arrived to set the record straight. http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?14562-Who-is-Gunther-Laws

ClamSource

Patron with Honors
I'd always wondered about Kobrin and how far she was prepared to compromise her practice for the cult. I doubt they'd find a replacement easily.

Happy Days

Silver Meritorious Patron
The old cut and paste does it again at the FSSO ... ya gotta love it and this is a bigger boo boo than ours and will definitely put Henry and others in the doo doo ...

Under suppression people make mistakes... I heard that somewhere :biggrin:

Or it could be just a case of sleep and decent food deprivation too :yes:

Was Ms. Kobrin ever considered a Scientologist and known to be doing services?

Doesn't it seem that a church attorney would have different lines on which they would get monies returned, being employed by the church as an outside agent?

Of course, I have no idea but it seems weird that she would have to go through the same rituals to get money back as everyone else, but, maybe :confused2:

On Gary Lerner (assuming it's the same one)
http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/g/gary-l.-lerner.html

Lure Rob & Hyde

Patron with Honors

RE this Helen Kobrin pit viper 's supposed defection:
I would be very wary of the news she has defected and keep your snakesticks handy.

It would be the kind of standard OP that would amount to a set up of all who come in contact with her.
I think they(the cult) are getting very desperate.

Quote" A snake in the grass is better than one(Helen Kobrin) on your ass!"

Will the OSA people be making a little mind map now of all the connections and connections of connections of Helena? Will they have other lawyers in her office going through her shredder and gluing shredded docs back together.?

freethinker

Sponsor
Would this have any significant impact on the Daniel Montalvo case seeing that Moxon is a defendant, who will be the defense attorney?

freethinker

Sponsor
Every time I see the name of this thread in the side bar, I can't help but chuckle to myself.

I keep forgetting that blows has another meaning in Scientology:biggrin: