What's new

Hello! I can't seem to find my vias?

Hello. I'm not an ex-member. I'm exploring scn. from a philosophical and socio-cultural background.

My personal experience, in this life, with SCN is watching the introductory video at the San Francisco Church in 1999. Some guy who looked like an insurance salesman appeared at the end and said my choice is either Scio or eternal pain. I though "Hell with you guy or anyone scaring me with eternal pain". I also thought "that's really bad copy to get bums on seats".
Then the young center guide chatted with me and we agreed that I wanted more "cash value" in the presentation. Well he brought up that term and I mildly agreed. But that has led me to mull on that idea of psychological insight as "cash value" - so thanks center dude!

Recently I saw David Mayo speak very eloquently about how the free-learning project breaks down when such scare-tactics are introduced. And with it, Genuine Autonomy. But he was talking about some upper levels. I thought "Wow - that's exactly what I saw on the introductory video."

I bought 0-8, Dianetics 55, The problems of Work and The Creation of Human Ability from the 2ndhand bookstore in my town. I must say these books look very attractive and I'm keen to read more of them to see how this mumbo jumbo flies.

I read Dianetics several years ago and found the first half really good but totally trudged my way through the last. I also bought Self analysis a few years back and thought it would be good to refresh my mind if I want to write my memoirs!

My big question is what exactly is a VIA and VIAS as used by Hubbard? I understand per the dry glossary definition - its a relay point - but it seems to have a huge range of applicability - and generally has some content of dissembling or stalling. Is it any gesture at all? Also it seems a pretty critical term - called the curse of life, iirc, in COHA.

Would my title question be sensible? One has too many vias?

I hope now and further questions/comments I may ask, I am not considered flippant in any possibly ignorant speculations on what, in many ways has panned out to be a heart-rending story for many.

Hello!

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
It's a multi-purpose term. Hubbard uses it to mean not looking at or experiencing something directly, which can be so vague as to almost make it meaningless.

Paul

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Simplicity itself!

Hello. I'm not an ex-member. I'm exploring scn. from a philosophical and socio-cultural background.

My personal experience, in this life, with SCN is watching the introductory video at the San Francisco Church in 1999. Some guy who looked like an insurance salesman appeared at the end and said my choice is either Scio or eternal pain. I though "Hell with you guy or anyone scaring me with eternal pain". I also thought "that's really bad copy to get bums on seats".
Then the young center guide chatted with me and we agreed that I wanted more "cash value" in the presentation. Well he brought up that term and I mildly agreed. But that has led me to mull on that idea of psychological insight as "cash value" - so thanks center dude!

...snip for brevity...

My big question is what exactly is a VIA and VIAS as used by Hubbard? I understand per the dry glossary definition - its a relay point - but it seems to have a huge range of applicability - and generally has some content of dissembling or stalling. Is it any gesture at all? Also it seems a pretty critical term - called the curse of life, iirc, in COHA.

Would my title question be sensible? One has too many vias?

I hope now and further questions/comments I may ask, I am not considered flippant in any possibly ignorant speculations on what, in many ways has panned out to be a heart-rending story for many.

Hello!

This message board is a "via", Via. :p

So is language, the written and/or spoken word, smoke signals or cries of FOUL! :ohmy: :yes:

And this via the internetz...:melodramatic:

:wave: :welcome: Have fun! :whistling:

EP

FinallyMe

Silver Meritorious Patron
If I may..... "via" in real life means "by way of" or "through the use of" - like when I send something "via" Federal Express - to accomplish sending it, I do it by using/by way of FedEx. If you are unable to walk normally because of a broken leg in a cast, you could walk "via," or "using" a crutch. In the Scientology usage, it would be the "way" that you deal with something, or what "trick" you use. For instance, I am terrified of crowds, so the way I manage to get through the crowds in the train station is to use the trick of pretending the people don't see me, don't form an opinion of me, etc. That's the "way" I am able to handle being in a crowd without running out, screaming in panic. The term could also be applied to alcohol, drugs, and any other addictive device when it is used to help you deal with life.

Hope that helps.

This message board is a "via", Via. :p

So is language, the written and/or spoken word, smoke signals or cries of FOUL! :ohmy: :yes:

EP

yes I heard H. say the e-meter was a via. Its only purpose was to overcome comm lag. I don't know exactly what comm lag means in scn. Perhaps like once one is holding a machine one has less delay in answering personal questions - in a stanly milgrim like manner of obeying techno-science.

Thanks for your help EP!

Thanks FinallyMe - yes that is the scn. way it often is used it seems. As a kind of compulsive coping "via". But I'm still unclear on how so many via's put a "stop" to a comm line. And how they are the curse of life. :confused2::confused2:

I don't believe just because scn is seen as a cult - that these terms don't have comprehendible meanings to anyone just like any terms in a philosophical system. So I'm not anti the term. Or look to bash the philosophy with the term. I just want to get at its full definition and significance.

Thanks everyone too, for saying welcome and hello!