Hello

Crow

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board but have been lurking a little so I thought I'd introduce myself. My involvement with Scientology was relatively short but quite eventful. When I was about 9 years old, my mother began dating a man who was very deeply involved with Scientology. He soon dragged her into it and within a few months, my older sister and I were dragged along with her. I started my first course and didn't really understand what I was doing nor what the point the was. My sister excelled while I just sort of sat back and questioned everything. And well, lets face it, I was 9. I wasn't interested in sitting in a room for several hours a week, until well past 10pm, reading and doing ridiculous exercises.
I always seemed to be in trouble! I was often pulled aside and told how disrespectful I was for asking questions and was often locked in a cupboard to 'reflect' on my behaviour. This continued on for a couple years and my mother and sister got in deeper and deeper. Her boyfriend would often preach to us about all the great things Scientology did and would tell us stories about all his past lives. We'd often undergo touch assists instead of going to the doctors when something was actually seriously wrong.
Then one day, we were pulled out of school and went to stay on the Freewinds while my mums boyfriend did his OTVIII. My mum and sister continued to study on the ship and I, who thought of it more as a vacation, continued to get in trouble and locked up for reflection and auditing.
Unfortunately, my memory gets a little foggy after this. My sister was recruited by SeaOrg and my mum began to get suspicious of what was really going on. My mum finally wised up and left her boyfriend, who at that point was getting quite abusive. She pulled us both out of the church and so began the harassment. We had people coming to our home at all hours, phone calls and my sister was even visited at her school. We moved and they eventually gave up on us.
As an adult, I used to often look back and wonder if I made all of it up, as it was such a bizarre time in my life. I've been researching Scientology for a couple years now to jog my memory of it all. I look back on it now and realise how lucky I was to have got out when I did.

So anyways, that's me in a nutshell. Hi :)

B4You

Patron
Hi and welcome.

Could you allow me to ask - what year? $cientology has changed dramatically over the decades, so it nice to know at least what decade we are looking at!
:eyeroll:

Anonycat

Crusader
Hi and welcome.

Could you allow me to ask - what year? $cientology has changed dramatically over the decades, so it nice to know at least what decade we are looking at!

We greatly discourage posting personal information that could provide their identity to OSA.

Crow

Sorry, I don't really want to say when it was. I'm overly paranoid about them somehow figuring out who I am or whatnot. I remember how they made our lives hell when we left. I don't want a repeat!

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Sorry, I don't really want to say when it was. I'm overly paranoid about them somehow figuring out who I am or whatnot. I remember how they made our lives hell when we left. I don't want a repeat!

Don't worry dear, you should be safe in Antarctica, OSA don't operate much there.

OutToe83

Patron with Honors
Welcome, Crow. You're very fortunate to have a mother who finally came to her senses.

I think you were probably pretty sharp as a kid. I suspect that $cientologists, especially the upper executives, don't like kids because of their natural tendency to ask questions when something doesn't make sense. That kind of candid curiosity is anathema to $cn.

I can picture you as a kindred spirit of the kid who yelled, "But the emperor isn't wearing any clothes!!"

Victoria

Patron Meritorious
Hi and welcome.

Oh bullshit.
Its been the same old same old since its inception.
Locking kids in dark spaces, making screwed up people even more demented with past life visions of grandeur on and on and on.

Welcome Crow!

Lone Star

Crusader
Hi and welcome.

He mentioned being on the Freewinds as a kid. The Freewinds' maiden voyage was in the late 80s. So how much "dramatic change" has there been since then Sunshine? :eyeroll:

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
Heh, made me think of a kid who was posted in a local org. He would goof around all day. Whenever anyone would try to get him to do something, he would yell "DEV-T!". Smart kid.

Welcome aboard!

:)

Crow

Oh bullshit.
Its been the same old same old since its inception.
Locking kids in dark spaces, making screwed up people even more demented with past life visions of grandeur on and on and on.

Welcome Crow!

Thank you! During my research, I was a little surprised to hear I wasn't the only kid being locked up in various small and gloomy places. God, what a bloody weird time in my life! My mum and sister still refuse to talk much about it; they're a little bit more traumatised then I am. My mum got really paranoid when a few years ago I got in contact with an ex member who had a horrible run in with her ex who is now a senior member somewhere in Florida. I guess everyone has different ways to cope with things, my way was to dig up everything I could find on it and meet others who went through the same kind of experience.

cleared cannibal

Silver Meritorious Patron
Thank you! During my research, I was a little surprised to hear I wasn't the only kid being locked up in various small and gloomy places. God, what a bloody weird time in my life! My mum and sister still refuse to talk much about it; they're a little bit more traumatised then I am. My mum got really paranoid when a few years ago I got in contact with an ex member who had a horrible run in with her ex who is now a senior member somewhere in Florida. I guess everyone has different ways to cope with things, my way was to dig up everything I could find on it and meet others who went through the same kind of experience.

I have a little different take on kids and Scn. If a child is exposed to all this BS and abuse and are NOT indoctrinated and taken in , I feel they come out stronger. Is it worth the risk? Hell no. It may be that some individuals are just more able to sort through the BS and cognitive dissonance. I would include you in this category. I would almost say it is like recovering from a disease and are immune for life. Kind of like chicken pox. A relatively minor ailment as an child but extremely serious as an adult.A better approach would be to administer a "vaccine" like ESMB or Tony's and Mikes site.

I think kids who recover have a lot less continuing problems than adults and generally make a full recovery.

Jump

Operating teatime

I think kids who recover have a lot less continuing problems than adults and generally make a full recovery.

That would depend on the depth of abuse in the cult, the support of family and friends and individual determination to move on.

Traumatic stress can leave some very deep, debilitating but hidden scars. Especially in children.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Hello and 'nother (albeit belated) :welcome:

I think you came to the right place, many here have had similar experiences. There is a wealth of information entwined throughout this fabulous and cathartic site, and some really, really fantastic folks, don't be a stranger and get to know some, they won't bite (usually :p ) :)
I am so glad for you that your mom took the bull by the horns and managed to escape the abuse of sci-guy, and ultimately the paralyzing, mind-numbing/pillaging, of Hubbard's sick puppy of a confabulation.
All the best to you and your family, may you forever remain 'cult-free' and live long and happy lives!

:cheers:

Ogs

I have a little different take on kids and Scn. If a child is exposed to all this BS and abuse and are NOT indoctrinated and taken in , I feel they come out stronger. Is it worth the risk? Hell no. It may be that some individuals are just more able to sort through the BS and cognitive dissonance. I would include you in this category. I would almost say it is like recovering from a disease and are immune for life. Kind of like chicken pox. A relatively minor ailment as an child but extremely serious as an adult.A better approach would be to administer a "vaccine" like ESMB or Tony's and Mikes site.

OTOH, people who seem to do well despite difficulties caused by scientologists or other fucked up people, can have "issues" which are so masked, that they don't comprehend that they have them. They think the way they feel, (anxious, ups and downs, and other issues), is "normal". Not having experienced "normal" for much of their lives, they have forgotten what it is. They might be able to surivive fairly well, but be missing out on a more 'real' enjoyment of life.

Leah Remini looks like she has really got her shit together, and she obviously has in many ways, but still, she is having therapy (she said so on one of the interviews).

cleared cannibal

Silver Meritorious Patron
That would depend on the depth of abuse in the cult, the support of family and friends and individual determination to move on.

Traumatic stress can leave some very deep, debilitating but hidden scars. Especially in children.

Of course one can only talk in generalities on this, but kids I have seen of Scn parents which have left the church seem to do very well on average , maybe better than kids in general. My sampling is not extremely large though maybe about 10 or 12 I know of. Also casual contact can be deceiving and who knows how they are really doing. At least they seem to able to hold a job or go to school and operate in general society.