What's new

Hello

Tiptoe

Hi, I've been out a while. Did some courses at CC Int in the early 90s but then moved from LA and didn't have much money to continue. They ended up finding me, but I couldn't do courses so eventually left me alone.

Haven't thought much about Scientology in a long time. Apart from what you hear on the news from time to time. I watched the Louie Theroux movie a few years ago when it came to cable.

Just lately I've been looking back on my life and thought I'd look into Scientology again, but after reading here for days and hearing what terrible things have been happening I'm glad I didn't go back. So that's why I joined. To say thanks for telling what happened to you all.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Hi, I've been out a while. Did some courses at CC Int in the early 90s but then moved from LA and didn't have much money to continue. They ended up finding me, but I couldn't do courses so eventually left me alone.

Haven't thought much about Scientology in a long time. Apart from what you hear on the news from time to time. I watched the Louie Theroux movie a few years ago when it came to cable.

Just lately I've been looking back on my life and thought I'd look into Scientology again, but after reading here for days and hearing what terrible things have been happening I'm glad I didn't go back. So that's why I joined. To say thanks for telling what happened to you all.
Reading your post has cheered me up no end Tiptoe since that is what this board is really all about IMO. If it wasn't for @Emma and the valuable resource she has made available to us you might have gone in another direction, and that would have been very sad.

I've namechecked Emma so that hopefully she'll read your post.

Last edited:

Tiptoe

Thank you for the welcome. I feel lucky now to have gotten away. It's not like I ran away at the time, I just ran out of money and moved away (failed actor). I had a good time when I was there, but from what I can tell it wasn't fun at all for the Sea Org staff. I wish I'd known at the time what was happening.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Hi Tiptoe and welcome. I'm glad ESMB was helpful to you. Stay a while. Settle in. We don't bite (most of us anyway).

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
One of my biggest things about being an ex, is how embarrassed I am to have ever been involved. I try not to mention it to people in my regular life.
Yes, absolutely. There was a time when I couldn't tell enough people about it, but now I'm like you and I'd be too ashamed to admit I was once a member of the weirdo space-alien cult of scientology.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Funny I don't recall people admitting they are such ashamed about having been cult of COS member..

I too am and never mention it. The reason I found is that people can't understand this, since they base their jugement on all that became obvious with the medias coverage. They can't figure out we joined a mankind betterment organisation and didn't know it was an abusive sci-fi mafia cult..they can't figure out that even if we have been fooled ( by professional foolers) it doesn't mean we are either idiots or we were such abusive as what they read or hear...some have fallen deep and sold their soul to the devil, but not all of us. This is why we left!

And we must be proud within us!

Last edited:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
They can't figure out we joined a mankind betterment organisation and didn't know it was an abusive sci-fi mafia cult..they can't figure out that even if we have been fooled ( by professional foolers) it doesn't mean we are either idiots or we were such abusive as what they read or hear
Exactly. We weren't fools to join Scientology. We were looking to better ourselves. Nobody who joined Scientology before the internet went mainstream knew about Xenu or implant stations or the RPF.

It's like any relationship or marriage. You aren't "foolish" to have married someone, only to divorce later once it wasn't working. You weren't foolish to befriend someone, only to find out that the friendship doesn't work well. These relationships were started with good intentions. Hindsight is 20/20.

Not everyone wants to better themselves. I get annoyed at keyboard cowboys who have never tried to better themselves or help mankind, telling exes they were "stupid". We weren't. We cared. There was no mainstream criticism of Scientology when I joined. Sure there were some stories in tabloids but nothing like there is now. I don't think there is any personal gain to be had by telling yourself you were stupid when you weren't.

If someone chooses to join Scientology nowadays, then yes, there is a solid argument to say to them "you were warned".

Last edited:

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
@Tiptoe

Also, I recommend the movie "Groundhog Day" starring comedian Bill Murray.
One of the points in that movie is that 20/20 hindsight is not perfect, so don't mentally beat yourself up.