What's new

HELP FOR SPARROW

fisherman

Patron with Honors
Sparrow is an impressive young man! It's really terrible that they're putting him through this.

I do hope sparrow seeks representation. Coping with legal procedure is challenging even when you're in the right. TRO's often demand a bit of "horse-trading" so it's good to have an attorney help watch your back. It certainly doesn't detract from anything. I suspect that's the message the judge was hoping to impart.

With friends available to help, I also hope Sparrow doesn't let finances drive the decision to seek counsel. Moxon seems to take advantage of a presumed lack of resources in these situations.

All the best to Sparrow! :clap:

fisherman

byte301

Crusader
They sent Moxon out to try to stop what must be a huge source of enturbulation to the entire DC org staff and their management seniors that has been going on for months and showed no sign of letting up. Apart from embarrassing things like YouTube videos showing the world how they have 55 staff and 10 public in that big swanky new Ideal Org building of theirs. I have almost felt bad for them with Sparrow doing his thing day after day.

I doubt if they give a fuck about their staff member beyond her usefulness as a tool in this.

Paul

Oh, no doubt about it Paul. Sparrow is a major pain in their ass. He asks all the right questions and enturbulates the crap out of them.

It was the same deal with AGP except Sparrow isn't obnoxious.

They really hate the protesters that show up frequently. :D

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
It looks as though CoS uses what is known as a SLAPP:

"A strategic lawsuit against public participation (SLAPP) is a lawsuit that is intended to censor, intimidate and silence critics by burdening them with the cost of a legal defense until they abandon their criticism or opposition."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

It is illegal in many states but I don't think in DC as yet.
Congress is considering a federal law but the legislation is moving very slowly.
H.R.4364 - Citizen Participation Act of 2009
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h4364/text

Earlier in this thread Zinj provided a quote from Hubbard himself:

"A Manual on the Dissemination of Material" (first published in "Ability, the Magazine of DIANETICS and SCIENTOLOGY", 1955) (full text)

"The purpose of [a lawsuit] is to harass and discourage rather than to win. The law can be used very easily to harass, and enough harassment on somebody who is simply on the thin edge anyway, well knowing that he is not authorized, will generally be sufficient to cause his professional decease. If possible, of course, ruin him utterly."

Seems pretty clear to me.

T

TheSneakster

"A Manual on the Dissemination of Material" (first published in "Ability, the Magazine of DIANETICS and SCIENTOLOGY", 1955) (full text)

"The purpose of [a lawsuit] is to harass and discourage rather than to win. The law can be used very easily to harass, and enough harassment on somebody who is simply on the thin edge anyway, well knowing that he is not authorized, will generally be sufficient to cause his professional decease. If possible, of course, ruin him utterly."

It looks as though CoS uses what is known as a SLAPP:

"A strategic lawsuit against public participation (SLAPP) is a lawsuit that is intended to censor, intimidate and silence critics by burdening them with the cost of a legal defense until they abandon their criticism or opposition."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

It is illegal in many states but I don't think in DC as yet.
Congress is considering a federal law but the legislation is moving very slowly.
H.R.4364 - Citizen Participation Act of 2009
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h4364/text

There is a nice page full of resources for dealing with bogus SLAPP lawsuits here.

However, there is a fuzzy line beyond which lawful public protesting moves over into criminal harrassment, which is what Co$ iis clearly asserting in AnonSparrow's case. Of course, they assert that any time anyone shows up to protest, regardless of how peaceably they conduct themselves.

AFAICT, AnonSparrow did not follow the Anonymous protesting guidelines that seemed to work so well at preventing Co$ from stopping their protests this way: Protest in groups so there are plenty of witnesses, have multiple video documenters and keeping enough distance (across the street) from the Churchies that any kind of staged assault would require them to cross the intervening space first, which could be clearly documented. It seems to me that those guidelines successfully prevented Co$ from stopping Anonymous protests with Restraining Orders obtained through bogus complaints of harassment.

Michael A. Hobson
I am *not* anonymous. I *do* forgive.
I am also *not* a lawyer.

Being that this is happening in Washington DC and Sparrow is not a complete douche bag, this has the makings of an epic foot bullet for the cult. If you've ever been to Washington DC, you can't drive a few blocks without seeing a protest, if the cult is successful at getting this TRO it's just a matter of time before the media picks up this story of the cult once again abusing the legal system to stifle free speech. The video content has already been recorded and is in the process of being edited for them.

Besides it's about time the public has been introduced to the attorney the cult uses to silence it's critics

Double Crossed - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQmm0pcoZsA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4hhO_ah15s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2iQgP2itdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gOKJdklV7c

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
"........if the cult is successful at getting this TRO it's just a matter of time before the media picks up this story of the cult once again abusing the legal system to stifle free speech. The video content has already been recorded and is in the process of being edited for them.

Yes, I sense a Footbullet of epic proportions coming on for the cult. :yes:
If the cult is successful at getting this TRO enforced all it is going to do is to create a much bigger stage for Sparrow on which to tell his story. :thumbsup:

Hubbard may have dropped his body (died) but his abuse of the legal system lives on. It needs to be widely exposed to hundreds of millions of people.

Magoo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Good job, AnonSparrow, as always!

Please make sure to have some legal representation.
Re Moxon: Love it about you taking the few extra days.
My guess is he'll still be there.

Also, when they tried to get a temporary "injunction"
against me (and Bob Minton, it ended up---started with
15 people, and "everyone connected to these people) in Clearwater---where we had to stay 10 feet from any
Scientologist. After it was over, I had to pay $100 for "walking down the wrong side of the street with a picket sign" and Bob got 6 months probation. I left Clearwater,
they supposedly went in and made it "forever".

I've never seen any of that in writing, but just thought
I'd give you a heads up to stay in touch with the court
(Or ask them to notify you IF they try anything after re
your case).

My very best to you!

Tory/Magoo

byte301

Crusader
There is a nice page full of resources for dealing with bogus SLAPP lawsuits here.

However, there is a fuzzy line beyond which lawful public protesting moves over into criminal harrassment, which is what Co$ iis clearly asserting in AnonSparrow's case. Of course, they assert that any time anyone shows up to protest, regardless of how peaceably they conduct themselves.

AFAICT, AnonSparrow did not follow the Anonymous protesting guidelines that seemed to work so well at preventing Co$ from stopping their protests this way: Protest in groups so there are plenty of witnesses, have multiple video documenters and keeping enough distance (across the street) from the Churchies that any kind of staged assault would require them to cross the intervening space first, which could be clearly documented. It seems to me that those guidelines successfully prevented Co$ from stopping Anonymous protests with Restraining Orders obtained through bogus complaints of harassment.

Michael A. Hobson
I am *not* anonymous. I *do* forgive.
I am also *not* a lawyer.

Just because those are guidelines doesn't mean everyone has to follow them or would follow them.

There are a lot of protests on the same side of the street as the orgs. LA and New York for example. Some people protest on the opposite side if the sidewalk is too narrow and the protest would block public access.

I believe that most cities have regulations about this. My city says you have to be 20 feet away from the building.

Anons are cautioned to protest in groups but a few have chosen to protest alone at various times. AnonSparrow knows the risks and has been warned about it. He has been protesting alone for a long time now successfully.

AGP is the only protester I'm aware of that has been ordered by the court not to go near someone. He can still protest but he has to stay away from that one girl.

I'd say if things don't go Sparrow's way he could get the ACLU on it. We haven't had much luck with them in other parts of the country but they may be more active in DC.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
A system will be set up by Friday for anyone wanting to contribute to Sparrow's defense fund.

His next hearing is scheduled for Friday, August 13.

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
We can send $ via paypal to anonsparrow@gmail.

He'll have a PO Box shortly for those who wish to send money orders, etc.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Perhaps i missed this info, but does anyone know HOW MUCH capital is being raised or needed?

I realize it may be a moving target as litigation takes unexpected turns, but it would be very helpful. Thanks!