What's new

Hey Everyone! I need some help!

newdawn

Hey guys, I am really new here, just joined in fact!
So here is my story, my father in-law was REALLY into Scientology, was working on becoming an Auditor, wanted to join the Sea Org and move to LA...well, he passed away just recently, and in the lead up to this, he lost his mind in a huge way. He could not remember his own name, or where he was and got violent, it was awful. Long story short, he was getting me into Scientology, and then died and I found out how much suffering it had caused his family, my wife and her sister. What i need help with is this: He left me all of his Scientology stuff and, since i want nothing to do with Scientology, I want to sell it and being some healing to my family, to have something good come of this and start my life with my wife and new daughter off to a wonderful start!
So any help any of you could give with what this stuff is worth, or where I could sell it would be MUCH appreciated!
Thank you all so very much, it really means a lot to know that there are others to connect with to help heal from this!
Here is a list of what I have:
Advanced Clinical Courses
1st American ACC
2nd American ACC
3rd American ACC
4th American ACC
5th American ACC
6th American ACC
7th American ACC
8th American ACC
Cause-Distance-Effect
9th American ACC
Postulates and Live Communication
Axiom of the Stable Datum
4th London ACC
Rehabilitating Power of Choice
The Remedy of Havingness
Application of Games Theory
15th American ACC
16th American ACC
17th American ACC
18th American ACC
19th American ACC
20th American ACC
5th London ACC
21st American ACC
6th London ACC
1st Melbourne ACC
Hubbard Clearing Scientologist
1st Saint Hill ACC
22nd American ACC
3rd South African ACC

3-18 Basics Lectures
Professional Course Lectures
Dianetics: Lectures and Demonstrations
Dianetics Professional Course Lectures
The Science of Survival Lectures
The Unification Congress (X2)
Thought, Emotion and Effort
The Life Continuum
Scientology Milestone One
The Route to Intinity
Technique 88: Incidents on the Track Before Earth
Source of Life Energy
The Command of Theta
The Philadelphia Doctorate Course
The Factors: Admiration and the Renaissance of Beingness
Phoenix Lectures: Freeing the Human Spirit (X2)
Hubbard Professional Course Lectures

Congress Lectures
First International Congress of Dianeticists and Scientologists
Western Congress
Universe Process Congress
Anatomy of the Spirit of Man Congress
Games Congress
London Congress on Human Problems
Washington Congress on Anti-radiation and Confront
London Congress on Nuclear Radiation, Control and Health
Freedom Congress
Ability Congress
Clearing Congress
Clearing Congress (6 Filmed Lectures on DVD, 3 Lectures on CD)
London Clearing Congress
Success Congress
Theta Clear Congress
Melbourne Congress
State of Man Congress
South African Anatomy Congress
London Congress on Dissemination and Help
Anatomy of the Human Mind Congress
Clearing Hands Congress
Clearing Success Congress

Saint Hill Special Briefing Course[/SIZE

Introductory Lectures
The Golden Dawn: Phoenix Evening Lectures
The Lindsey Theater Lectures: London Afternoon Series

Technical Bulletins 1-12

2 E Meters

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ebay is your friend. You might get a few hundred for the meters but the rest not so much.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Yes, the meters are worth a few hundred apiece on eBay, the rest not so much.

HOWEVER, rather than tossing them in the dumpster, there ARE academic scholars who would be very happy to receive this stuff, and would give it a good home and make use of it.

Contact Chuck Beatty for details. He would be very happy to help. He posts here sometimes.

[email protected] or 412-260-1170

Paul

SirRalliart

Patron with Honors
eBay worked for me, though I was pretty disgusted at having to pay them 9% or so, then having to pay PP another 2 or 3%. Make sure you factor in the shipping and the cost of doing business. I have to admit, I did enjoy going to the post office every other day for a month screaming SUCKERS!

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, the meters are worth a few hundred apiece on eBay, the rest not so much.

HOWEVER, rather than tossing them in the dumpster, there ARE academic scholars who would be very happy to receive this stuff, and would give it a good home and make use of it.

Contact Chuck Beatty for details. He would be very happy to help. He posts here sometimes.

[email protected] or 412-260-1170

Paul

Ditto.

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
:wave: Welcome! :thumbsup:

Sorry about your FIL's passing - but if it and the manner of it deterred you from getting involved, then OK. "It's an ill wind that blows no one some good." :eyeroll:

EP

Hi New Dawn!, Welcome to the board, glad that you could join us here. Sorry to hear of the death in your family...if your Father in law was so into Scientology, maybe he got the rest of the family in as well?

Seemingly there is a need for money, so depending on the circumstances, I wonder if donations were made, or if services were paid for or on account in your other family members names as well as your Father in law's? That's usually what happens. If so, this might be a good time to assist your Mother in law and his daughters in requesting a return of money he donated or paid for Scientology auditing, and for any money paid or donated in their own names. This takes time, but is not that difficult to do. This is their right, and your right, if you paid for or donated any money to COS, IAS etc. Ask for the money back, under the circumstances...

This may be a better answer for raising some money than by trying to sell all his Scientology materials...not that you shouldn't go ahead and sell or divest your family of them, but that they may not raise much money and may be fairly labor intensive to sell via ebay, etc. The fact that he went insane and became violent would seem to indicate that Scientology's processing did not work for him, or help him, and your family would be well within it's rights to request a full refund and return of funds paid for services or held on account. You may wish to consider contacting free legal services for where you live. Also there are several threads and lots of good advice about asking for a refund and getting your money back from COS.

Unfortunately, all of the products that Scientology sells are highly overpriced. There is just not that much after-market value left in them. Do some searches on ebay (be sure to look at past actions and sales too) and it will give you a better idea of what the current market value of your items is. You can also offer them for sale on Amazon (except for meters perhaps) and places like Craig's list.

One other option might be to ask someone who is still practicing Scientology outside of COS if they know of anyone who might like to purchase these items at a reasonable price. You could contact Aida Thomas, who is an independent Auditor via her blog and see if she would be willing to put the word out for you with her network of friends. She is a kind and helpful person and may also have other good advice for your family in these circumstances. Here is a link to her blog: http://aidathomas.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/scientology-are-protestors-terrorists/

I heartily second the advice given above to get in touch with Chuck Beatty, [email protected], phone 412-260-1170, he is also a member here and a great guy, give him a call and tell him your story, he may also have some helpful advice for your family's situation...it is better, rather than throwing your items away, or selling them for a few dollars at a yard sale, to donate them to an academic scholar or to a journalist who is seriously engaged in researching and writing about the history of COS and Scientology as a subject. This can end up in benefiting many people.

Once again, I'm sorry to hear of your Father in law's sad end, sorry for the pain and disruption this must have caused your family. If there is anything else that we can help you with, don't hesitate to ask...there are many caring people here who are willing to help. I take it you did not actually join staff or the Sea Org, and hopefully your wife is free from COS also?

Congratulations to you and your wife on the birth of your daughter, what a blessing! :happydance: Please keep in touch with us and let us know how things are going for you and your family. :)

Last edited: