HG Wells interviews L. Ron Hubbard

Anonycat

Crusader
Part 1: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/6/5/a/65a...37518264&hwt=1b59113428679d1fded71e01485ceca5

Part 2: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/0/5/0/050...37519040&hwt=568a32ce8e819727dc9997601e0edb18

The podcast is both incredibly smart and funny, and a chance to direct attention to that organization's work. Paul F. Tompkins hosts the podcast as H.G. Wells, and each episode, he has on another dead author to have a conversation about their career and their lives. He's had great guests on, and inspired combinations of author and actor, like Ron Funches showing up as Iceberg Slim or Lennon Parham as Flannery O'Connor or Kristen Schaal as Tennessee Williams. Matt Gourley and Andy Daly have both been repeat performers, and if you know about Gourley's love of James Bond, it is particularly apt that he played Ian Fleming.

But the two-parter that I played this weekend while driving around LA may be the show's finest effort so far. Andy Daly plays L. Ron Hubbard, and he did his homework. It is an impeccably researched performance, and yet it is never anything less than screamingly funny. He is committed to the bullshit in the exact same way the real Hubbard was committed to the bullshit, and it's glorious.

I don't want to quote it or offer up bits out of context. It's not that kind of comedy. Instead, it's very smart stuff, and I love the way Tompkins is aware of the weirdness of the concept of one dead author interviewing another dead author with both of them fully aware of not only their own demise, but everything that's happened in culture since then. They both play it perfectly, though, and it wasn't supposed to be a two-parter. It's just that they reached the end of the first segment and it was clear that Daly wasn't even slightly out of steam yet.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...the-funniest-thing-to-result-from-scientology

Anonycat

Crusader
Really funny, and entertaining stuff. I made it through Part 1, easily. You can drive a car or multitask while listening to this comedy, so now I've started Part 2! Enjoy! The Dead Authors Podcast is amazing.

Glenda

Crusader
Probably not a good idea to operate certain machinery when listening to this extremely well researched "interview". It is side-splittingly (who cares if that isn't a word) funny.

Try laughing a lot and operating a sewing machine...can't be done. :no:

Terrific stuff! So clever, so damn funny. :yes:

Free Being Me

Crusader

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
pmsl.jpg

Glenda

Crusader
Excellent comedy! :yes: I made it through both part one and part two, alive, though not without an incident or two.

Suggestions for listening to "HG Wells interviews L. Ron Hubbard" Parts 1 and 2:

• Do not operate a sewing machine - or other machinery - which may cause injury during fits of out-of-control laughter.
  • Do not eat fruit cake, unless you’re good at roaring with laughter with your mouth closed. I did, and unfortunately, I am not. What a mess. What a waste of perfectly good fruit cake.
  • Probably a good idea to pee before commencing listening. I’m trying to be practical here. Jeez. :eyeroll:
Loved the Twitter Q & A at the end of each interview.

Q (for LRH): “What specific goals were you unable to achieve in your life because your mother was not quiet enough during your birth?”

Very clever, very very funny. Well worth sitting down, sans fruit cake, and listening to this. Multi-task if you must, but please stay safe. And clean. :)

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
These are brilliant. Whoever wrote this really, really did their research and nailed Hubbard . He knew Hubbard cold , better than some people who have written books on Scientology.

I cannot recommend this highly enough . And Paul F Tompkins questions are so well researched , he knew so much he could do exit counseling. Piss my pants funny .

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I created a new thread on this before finding this one. It is in the subforum dedicated to Hubbard, because while humorous and entertaining, it is based predominantly on claims and assertions that Hubbard made about himself.

<Threads now merged. M3375>

Last edited by a moderator:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I love that my daughter's friend found it, shared it with her and she told me it was really funny. Now if someone will do a Broadway musical based on the podcast ... or just a one man show. Look how well Book of Mormon is doing.

Anonycat

Crusader
I agree Chip, this is very well done. I hope it gets in front of a lot ears ... since it doesn't do eyes yet.

Cat Daddy

Silver Meritorious Patron
I love that my daughter's friend found it, shared it with her and she told me it was really funny. Now if someone will do a Broadway musical based on the podcast ... or just a one man show. Look how well Book of Mormon is doing.

Damn that's nice

http://www.npr.org/2015/08/02/428643358/in-utah-book-of-mormon-strikes-a-chord

The Tony Award-winning musical, The Book of Mormon, opened in Salt Lake City last week. The sendup of missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is getting a rousing reception.

RACHEL MARTIN, HOST:The Tony award-winning musical "The Book Of Mormon" is an irreverent sendup of missionaries with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This past week, four years after its Broadway debut, the show opened in the heart of Mormon America, Salt Lake City, Utah. Andrea Smardon of member station KUER sampled audience reaction.
ANDREA SMARDON, BYLINE: Maybe it goes without saying, but the people of Salt Lake City have strong feelings about "The Book Of Mormon." After the show, a lot of people described it like a homecoming party.
(APPLAUSE)

Last edited:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I am convinced that there is a rich vein of dramatic and/or comedic material just within this podcast (or from life experience as many people will attest). It could be a simple stage with the actor representing Hubbard talking directly to the audience, like he did in the various lectures. There could be vignettes with bits of some of the books acted out. Think of the Golden Era training films but done with class, style, pacing; good theater!

Anonycat

Crusader
I am convinced that there is a rich vein of dramatic and/or comedic material just within this podcast (or from life experience as many people will attest). It could be a simple stage with the actor representing Hubbard talking directly to the audience, like he did in the various lectures. There could be vignettes with bits of some of the books acted out. Think of the Golden Era training films but done with class, style, pacing; good theater!

So, you want me to help with the writing of the script?