What's new

Hi & welcome back

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Thanks. I had used the search function for that topic and it didn't show up in the results.
Is the search function going to better with XenForo than it was with vBulletin?

Veda

Sponsor
See on the right hand side of the post, there is a number e.g #58. This is your post link. Click on one and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks much. I'm slowly correcting the non functioning videos myself, which I can do as long as the EDIT function is available.

Is there any way of eliminating - at least for now - the time notation or mention of having been edited? Not really important, but it's slightly less messy.

The video fixing is going take some time - a looooooong time - as, so far, every video I've ever posted seems to be non functioning.

But It's correctable as long as I can edit.

Thanks again!

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
I found this posting after doing a google search, since I have security on the brain always.

I'm gonna wait until Emma confirms all this before I post any private information in conversations,
like my Social Security number or home address or bank pin, etc. ;)

"PM"s are "Conversations" on xenForo
xenForo does things a bit differently and smarter/better if you ask me.

Private Messages, or PMs, on other boards are split apart, so you have your "Inbox" and your "Sent" folders. Every message is separate, and you have to "quote" the last response if you want to reference something they said, etc.

xenForo's Conversations function is threaded. This means that your exchange with a person (or group of people) has the same look, feel, and function as a thread. In fact, it actually is a thread, one that is only visible by those participating in it. You can do everything you can do in a thread - post links, pictures, videos, quote from posts in the public forum, etc.

You can also add people to the Conversation, and if you initiated the Conversation, you can allow others to invite people to the Conversation.

No more going back and forth from Inbox to Sent looking for messages you sent on one particular person - which is especially useful on mobile devices using Tapatalk.

You can find your Conversations by clicking the Inbox link next to your username on the menu bar at the upper right corner of the page.

Is it possible to delete a conversation?

Just remove yourself from the conversation by clicking on "Leave Conversation." There is no delete functionality as such.

Conversations are automatically deleted when every "participant" has left the conversation.​

###

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've just realised I'm getting Politics threads showing when I click on "New Posts" even though I have Politics on ignore.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I've just realised I'm getting Politics threads showing when I click on "New Posts" even though I have Politics on ignore.

I have to work out what addon I need to get to allow users to ignore forums. Sorry! Please just pretend it isn't showing up on your feed :)

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I found this posting after doing a google search, since I have security on the brain always.

I'm gonna wait until Emma confirms all this before I post any private information in conversations,
like my Social Security number or home address or bank pin, etc. ;)

"PM"s are "Conversations" on xenForo
xenForo does things a bit differently and smarter/better if you ask me.

Private Messages, or PMs, on other boards are split apart, so you have your "Inbox" and your "Sent" folders. Every message is separate, and you have to "quote" the last response if you want to reference something they said, etc.

xenForo's Conversations function is threaded. This means that your exchange with a person (or group of people) has the same look, feel, and function as a thread. In fact, it actually is a thread, one that is only visible by those participating in it. You can do everything you can do in a thread - post links, pictures, videos, quote from posts in the public forum, etc.

You can also add people to the Conversation, and if you initiated the Conversation, you can allow others to invite people to the Conversation.

No more going back and forth from Inbox to Sent looking for messages you sent on one particular person - which is especially useful on mobile devices using Tapatalk.

You can find your Conversations by clicking the Inbox link next to your username on the menu bar at the upper right corner of the page.

Is it possible to delete a conversation?

Just remove yourself from the conversation by clicking on "Leave Conversation." There is no delete functionality as such.

Conversations are automatically deleted when every "participant" has left the conversation.​

###

So IL2L and I tested the conversation (PM) system and this is what we found....

You can choose to start a conversation with one or more people (or disallow this). If you "leave the conversation" it will be deleted from your inbox, but NOT the inbox of the other person (people) until they also leave the conversation. If you've left the conversation & someone messages you again, it reappears in full in your inbox. The whole conversation is preserved like a forum thread. It's really good. I like it a lot.

TrevAnon

Big List researcher
See on the right hand side of the post, there is a number e.g #58. This is your post link. Click on one and you'll see what I mean.
Absolutely. :p

I would like to notice though that this gives a link that may be dependent on things like user preferences as there is a page number in the link:

Code:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/threads/hi-welcome-back.44335/page-3#post-1152074

For the day to day references that's just fine. However, when linking to a post from a webpage such as the big list, you may want to use another type of link.

If you click reply to a post you have an option to choose a preview. Now you should notice that there is a small arrow next to the name of the one who posted the original post:

Naamloos.png

Now right-click on that arrow and choose "copy link to clipboard" (or whatever it is called in English, I'm Dutch :D ).

The link you have now on the clipboard should look something like

Code:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/goto/post?id=1152074#post-1152074

Notice there is no page number in this link.

On the big list, there are over 240 links to ESMB-posts like this. I am VERY glad list admin Incredulicide uses this format, as it meant that the links all kept working when ESMB went to Xenforo, and there is a lower chance of link rot. :)

FoTi

Crusader
I am so lost here. What happened to all the old posts and information? Is it all gone and we are just starting over with a blank slate?

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
This is the Golden Age of ESMB Tech.

Or GATII. Should we be redacting out all the inconvenient truths from the previous forum threads, a la 1984? We could re-theme the board as a pro-Scientology site, now that the new admin has discovered all the errors of the previous SP transcriptionist-admin, whose head we should now promptly put on a pike.

TrevAnon

Big List researcher
I am so lost here. What happened to all the old posts and information? Is it all gone and we are just starting over with a blank slate?
Why would you think that? :confused: I can just click on the link in your sig and go there. Also I checked to see if entries on the big list with a reference to ESMB still worked, and - except for a few problems - they all were fine.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Why would you think that? :confused: I can just click on the link in your sig and go there. Also I checked to see if entries on the big list with a reference to ESMB still worked, and - except for a few problems - they all were fine.

Thanks!

(Hi FOTI):

Or you can just click the link that says "FORUMS" atop the page. It'll show all the good old zillion threads and topics.

Look for it between the links "HOME" and "THE BOARD".

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
OH NO! Progress ...again!

59e712f06e3d0135e6df005056a9545d

I gotta put my specs on...teeny weeny fonts in places...and pink all over! :p

Congrats getting it up and running. :D

:)

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
A short while ago I posted a message on the 'London Scientology Center' thread but nothing appeared in the 'new posts' column. Anyone know why?

phenomanon

Canyon
Or GATII. Should we be redacting out all the inconvenient truths from the previous forum threads, a la 1984? We could re-theme the board as a pro-Scientology site, now that the new admin has discovered all the errors of the previous SP transcriptionist-admin, whose head we should now promptly put on a pike.

:D