How come I don't know Paulette Cooper?

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
The next realization I'm having--thanks to ESMB--and you can have it too, has to do with Paulette Cooper. I actually read her Scandal of Scientology book in 1974 but dismissed it as junk. Frankly, it's not a very good book and if left alone, it would have died the quick death it deserved. It's a trashy book meant for the National Inquirer crowd.

I just watched the youtube of Paulette giving her 1975 deposition in Clearwater. I knew of many of the tricks taken against her. GO friends of mine had told me inside track stuff about her in 1983. Nothing particularly surprising. Phone taps, depositions, setting her up with a boyfriend, slowly driving her crazy and destroying her life.

What is surprising is my ability to ignor Paulette's feelings while she was being harassed. Additionally, I wasn't even upset at the thought of her going to jail for 15 years. Being framed for something she didn't do.

What kind of a person had I turned into? The ends justified the means? How could we ignor Paulette's rights and feelings? Since she was an "enemy" why were we allowed to abuse her? We never thought that one day we might be in a similar position and our rights would have been suspended and our lives destroyed?

If the cos weren't a nutzo organization, we'd have been allowed to listen to the depositions and SEE WHAT WE (the cos) WERE DOING and fix it legally. (the Catholics are doing that right now regarding sex abuse.) We'd have been given access to the negative press and we could have addressed it like thinking people mature in our beliefs. Paulette's book wouldn't have shaken the beliefs of even a comm course grad.

The supposed purpose of the GO/OSA was/is to handle the 4th dynamic so that the orgs can function. In reality, the GO/OSA was blowing apart any negative press on the cos. One chief weapon was frivilous law suits.

The real weapon was villifying the attackers as monsters so that it was okay to harass and sue them for crimes they didn't commit. That weapon was mighty indeed. The number of people trying to get into the GO was large. Picture that! Cos members lining up for the priviledge of poking through a critic's trash. Cos members lining up to make crank phone calls to a supposed "enemy". Cos members eager to break into a pychiatrist's office to steal the files of an alleged "enemy".

Yuk. What was I thinking?

Paulette was no threat. The way she was handled threatened us all.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=17107

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
It's a trashy book meant for the National Inquirer crowd.

From sections of the book I've read I would have to disagree with your characterization of the book. I've not read the whole thing, but found some decent material in what I did. If I had read it prior to walking into Boston Org I doubt I'd have ever gotten involved with the cult.

Anyway, it is available in full here for anyone who would want to read it:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/cooper/sos.html

It's also available for free on her website as well:
http://www.paulettecooper.com/

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Amazing wonderful post,Boojum. It so much echoes my feelings and chagrin at my own voyage into, through and out of Scn and attitudes about critics, past and present.

Boojuum

From sections of the book I've read I would have to disagree with your characterization of the book. I've not read the whole thing, but found some decent material in what I did. If I had read it prior to walking into Boston Org I doubt I'd have ever gotten involved with the cult.

Anyway, it is available in full here for anyone who would want to read it:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/Shelf/cooper/sos.html

It's also available for free on her website as well:
http://www.paulettecooper.com/

I read it after the comm course and it didn't phase me for a second. However, my characterization of it as a trashy book is possibly wrong. I recall it as a smallish paperback that read like Readers Digest. I won't argue that but it's nowhere in the same league as Blue Sky, Madman, Billion Year, or Blown for Good. I think those books have impact and I think pushed a lot of people out. I haven't heard any results like that from Scandal. Again, the quality of her book is not a big deal for me. She did a very brave thing and I don't think was prepared for the impact on her life. I don't think she had any idea that the cos was going to embark on a series of campaigns against her.

The point is that I allowed myself to dehumanize the critic. Critics have rights too. All thinking people have rights and a sane society allows critics to air their views. Vengeful or paranoid or criminal groups attack their critics.

Shakesphere's line "though protesteth too much" comes to mind in thinking about the cos.

Thanks for challenging my opinion re the quality of Scandal. I won't sue, attack or embarrass you with false bomb threats or try to make your life miserable.:yes:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Thanks for challenging my opinion re the quality of Scandal. I won't sue, attack or embarrass you with false bomb threats or try to make your life miserable.:yes:

LOL I'm relieved to hear that. :yes:

And I wouldn't argue that the "Scandal of Scientology" book is better than the ones you listed, but those other authors had a huge advantage too. Each of them had been scientologists, so had much inside knowledge.
Paulette Cooper never was a scientologist so had to start from scratch.
She didn't work for 15 years at the Int Base like Marc Headley had, or work directly with LRH and Diana as Nancy Many did. Given the limitations that Paulette had I thought she did an admirable job. She obviously did some pretty serious research for the book and presented more than enough information to inoculate readers (if they read the book prior to getting started with the CoS). Once you get in and on a service, have some wins, meet some staff, ect., the stuff in the book tends to become more unreal and it takes much more to get through to those already IN, even if very new.
I don't know how many books actually went into circulation back then or how many people didn't join the CoS because of the book, or if any left, but you've got to remember back then that OSA completely declared war against her and I'm sure did everything in their power to keep those books from being read. Even buying up copies at the bookstores and burning them.

Like you, I also dehumanized the critics back then. I remember still being briefed by OSA about Paulette Cooper and others, and how suppressive they were. Really evil beings. ;) I'm kind of embarrassed that I bought all that BS now. But back then it was very convincing.

Mrs Pattycake

Patron with Honors
Very good point ... we very quickly learnt to suspend our judgement and critical thinking with regard to the CofS but we readily agreed with whatever "story" OSA came up with about the "enemies".

I am also shocked at how soon this occured once I became a "scientologist" - where did my critical thinking go ?

Oh yeh ... your not supposed to "think" that is too low scale.

And also great points about Paulette's viewpoint -ie. not being a scio. It would be very difficult for a non scio to explain the outpoints of the CofS with any reality to a Scio I would definately agree.

It makes me sick how abusive the CofS is and has been for so very long.

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
Freakout

Operation PC Freakout, was a Church of Scientology covert plan intended to have the US author and journalist Paulette Cooper imprisoned or committed to a mental institution. The plan, undertaken in 1976 following years of Church-initiated lawsuits and covert harassment, was meant to eliminate the perceived threat that Cooper posed to the Church and obtain revenge for her publication in 1971 of a highly critical book, The Scandal of Scientology. The Federal Bureau of Investigation discovered documentary evidence of the plot and the preceding campaign of harassment during an investigation into the Church of Scientology in 1977, eventually leading to the Church compensating Cooper in an out-of-court settlement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Freakout

Boojuum

And...then what.

Operation PC Freakout, was a Church of Scientology covert plan intended to have the US author and journalist Paulette Cooper imprisoned or committed to a mental institution. The plan, undertaken in 1976 following years of Church-initiated lawsuits and covert harassment, was meant to eliminate the perceived threat that Cooper posed to the Church and obtain revenge for her publication in 1971 of a highly critical book, The Scandal of Scientology. The Federal Bureau of Investigation discovered documentary evidence of the plot and the preceding campaign of harassment during an investigation into the Church of Scientology in 1977, eventually leading to the Church compensating Cooper in an out-of-court settlement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Freakout

Thanks. What's the signifcance to us ex - scio's? I think we were part of a group that did dispicable things to people and we just let it happen without a second thought. We were all part of the cos and the people attacking Paulette were ruining our reputations as well as that of the cos and LRH (I'm sure he knew about it).

R6Basic

Patron Meritorious
It is interesting how quickly you can become cold to a perceived enemy or sp. It's just since LRH said Snc is the only hope this planet has well.. then who cares what happens to some one who tries to stop it?

Last edited: