What's new

How Scientology Spied on Tom Cruise - Village Voice

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Village Voice continues to get the goods.

​Three former Church of Scientology officials tell the Voice that for years -- at least between 1991 and 2005 -- church leader David Miscavige kept a close watch on Tom Cruise with the use of a man named Michael Doven, who served as Cruise's personal assistant.

For much of that time, 1991 to 2001, Cruise, one of Scientology's most famous faces, was actually estranged from the church (a closely-held secret until just a few years ago). While Cruise kept his distance from Scientology during that period, Miscavige still received detailed, daily reports about the Cruise household through Doven, the former officials say.

Doven was reached on the telephone Wednesday, but he hung up when he learned that it was the Voice calling. An e-mail was subsequently sent to him with specific questions about the allegation that he spied on his employer, Cruise, on behalf of the church, but he did not respond.

Part of the reason for the surveillance, says former church official Claire Headley, was that Miscavige and the church were worried that Cruise would cut ties entirely with Scientology. "Doven told us what Tom was complaining about, about what areas in his life he was having trouble with. Then we could use that information to tailor our approach to him," she says.

Full article - http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/01/how_scientology.php

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Comment section

Synthia Elizabeth Fagen 6 hours ago
This kind of "spying" is common in Scientology. This type of thing happens even in the lives of ordinary parishioners.

These people in this story are justifying it by coming from the point of view that whatever means used to make sure that Tom gets on and up the Bridge are the absolute best thing for him. Truth is, Tom might actually agree with that too. Privacy? Forget it!

To be "reasonable", to give him privacy, to allow him to make up his own mind about how much involvement he would have, would be un-Scientological. It would not be KSW. It would not be following, "Safeguarding the Technology" which tells members (paraphrased) to make sure that their fellow parishioners do not stay long staring at the pretty rocks as the "road out" doesn't go that way.

Yes, he was being a spy but regular Scientologists do this everyday. A staff member, often a registrar, may establish a relationship with a spouse who is trying to get his/her spouse on the Bridge. That spouse will tell the staff member things that the other spouse may not want the staff member to know. It's all about being the greatest good.

Spouses, friends, family members, co-workers, etc all write reports on each other if they get out of line. It's an insidious surveillance cult.

It's a suffocating, no privacy, no independence environment masquerading as freedom.

Sid 3 hours ago
For you or I, hearing such evidence that we had been deliberately spearfished and manipulated into joining an organization would send us off the deep end and would result in some honest and open expression of opinions on the matter.

Sadly however, I suspect it makes little difference whether Cruise does or does not get to see this piece of excellent journalism.

He believes that Tony Ortega is a merchant of chaos, he believes Rathbun, Rinder and Headley are disgruntled apostates who really were SPs with a hidden agenda all along.

He believes that Scientology is the greatest hope for mankind, and that Miscavige is the best man to achieve the goal of planetary clearing.

At his level of OTness, he is so far inside the Hubbard mindfuck that he can't tell shit from Shinola as far as Scientology is concerned.

I've read two more books recently; Nancy Many's and Amy Scobee's, and what struck me most was how far Scientology is able to push people before they start to wake up and smell the coffee. Chapter after chapter you think this must be the time they start to stand up for themselves, this level of cognitive dissonance must surely be too much to handle. It's actually quite painful to read in a sense because it takes them both an incredibly long time before they start to wake up (although both are excellent books, which I highly recommend). In the case of Many she is sent to the RPF 5 months pregnant by Hubbard himself in 1979, and although she recognizes this is wrong she still has involvement with Scientology over 20 years later. This is not a criticism of Many, simply a reflection of how difficult it can be to get a grip on reality as far as Scientology is concerned.

I know that Cruise has had a very different experience than Many and Scobee (not being on staff being the most obvious) but I struggle to believe that hearing this would make any difference to him. I always hope I'm wrong as far as Scientology is concerned of course.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Tom Cruise is a typical Scientology Narcissist, and really not very bright.

1_123125_2093564_2208788_2213739_090317_sci_narcissism2tn.jpg

1_123125_2093564_2208788_2213739_090317_sci_narcissism2tn.jpg

yeah

america is grossly overmedicated. we should probably use about fifty percent of the otc and prescription nostrums we consume. high blood pressure is almost always eii (emotionally induced illness) and can usually be controlled with dieting counseling and life coaching but some are taking a potent drug which does bring it down but harms the liver necessitating a second pill which has a negative side effect on the spleen. the pill which addresses it does something to a third organ so;ved with a fourth pill.

of course large among the offenders are the psychoactive drugs. tom famously raised this perfectly cogent issue but named brooke shields as an example. terribly ungentlemanly in the first place, a violation of the hippocratic oath in the second place (intelligent welleducated nonmedical people are well versed in and observant of the hippocratic oath) and most pertinently a violation of the spirit and letter of the auditor's code which apparently is raped daily by CoS

Last edited:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tony Ortega is doing a helluva fine job with his ongoing reporting about Scn. :thumbsup::thumbsup::clap::clap::yes::yes:

The first time I met Da Monster it was blatantly obvious to me he wasn’t quite right in the head or heart. After I was around DM a few times and interacted with him it was actually quite unnerving to me just how skewed his thought process and view of others was. I would betcha that the large majority of folks that have ever met him, been around his periphery or interacted with him while he’s “strutting his stuff” would say the same thing if they were to be honest.

M&M, who like to come off as “galactic studs”, schmoozed, kissed DM’s butt and curried favor from him because he was the one that wore (hijacked) the Magik Boots.

Cruise is a different story. TC didn’t have to have a bromance with DM…he wanted to. That tells me a whole bunch about TC, where he’s “coming from” and where he’s at...purty spooky, if you ask me.

Face :)

johnAnchovie

Still raging
Mind you, the weird world of Scientology is a bit like 'Spy vs Spy' gone bonkers.

Whatever about placed agents in the Cruise camp, the KR obsession among scientologists would find Suri spying on Katie, Tom spying on Conor, Conor spying on the gardener and everybody spying on poor Nichol.

What Tony Ortega fails to appreciate is that in the Scientology Police State, just as in Honecker's now defunct DDR, everybody is a spy. Why else would Hubbard have introduced a yellow bellied and fundamentally socially corrosive policy the like of 'The Knowledge Report' pl?

Scientologists are not trusted to self correct, not trusted to use their own moral compass, rather are coerced, controlled and manipulated by the all seeing eye of the Ethics Officer, Senior HCO, CMO, RTC and the mighty gloating midget himself.

freethinker

Sponsor
When I was on staff, there was a minor accident that occurred of my doing. I got the situation under control and made sure the situation was handled. Every single person that was in the org that day knew what happened and I showed the Dir I&R that it was all under control.

This didn't stop the Dir I&R from making a knowledge report that he had to send all over the F'ing planet. I had had KR's written before but this one was different because the event was over and wouldn't occur again.

That was the day that i realized exactly what KR's were for. It wasn't for the purpose of correction because i realized my mistake and fixed it fast. It wasn't to let everyone else know what had happened because they all knew anyway. The purpose of the KR is to make a record of an event to be regurgitated at a future time for the use of keeping you in line.

There is no way to as-is KR's because they keep coming back and in greater quantity. That's when i realzed that Scientology doesn't handle the past but instead keeps the past part of the present and on into the future which defeats the whole stated purpose of Scientology.

Scientology ethics is the physical manifestation of the reactive mind that can't be erased.

Scientology creates reactive minds and shattered spiritual beings.
Mind you, the weird world of Scientology is a bit like 'Spy vs Spy' gone bonkers.

Whatever about placed agents in the Cruise camp, the KR obsession among scientologists would find Suri spying on Katie, Tom spying on Conor, Conor spying on the gardener and everybody spying on poor Nichol.

What Tony Ortega fails to appreciate is that in the Scientology Police State, just as in Honecker's now defunct DDR, everybody is a spy. Why else would Hubbard have introduced a yellow bellied and fundamentally socially corrosive policy the like of 'The Knowledge Report' pl?

Scientologists are not trusted to self correct, not trusted to use their own moral compass, rather are coerced, controlled and manipulated by the all seeing eye of the Ethics Officer, Senior HCO, CMO, RTC and the mighty gloating midget himself.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.

Regardless of scn's input into his life, I have to agree with you.

What's worse is when I trip over the name of someone I admire who is branded with the scn iron, e.g., Nicholas Cage. He doesn't need the help of a deranged church to get out there and make something that pummels the brain.

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
The first time I met Da Monster it was blatantly obvious to me he wasn’t quite right in the head or heart. After I was around DM a few times and interacted with him it was actually quite unnerving to me just how skewed his thought process and view of others was.

For me it was little staring pale blue eyes that unnerved me. (Plus the 27 pairs of high-heeled shoes and boots left outside his apartment in Big Blue for some poor RPFer had to clean.) And by that I mean his air of hostility was so great that it was startling.

KR.

COB
Celebrity's Kid's Spai Unit, OSA INT <<
Guess Who? <<<<

Dear COB,

Mommy Katy is not nice, cos she isn't keeping scientology working.
She didn't buy me a diamond studded emeter.
She backflashed and degraded pubs by saying they don't have them in diamond studded and she won't make it go right. Mommy Katy is a supressive person.
You have to punish her now!
She didn't even buy me my "My Shit is Gold", status IAS membership.

Guess Who
PS. Daddy say's, Love to you.

Boojuum

Tom Cruise spied on by top assistant

Scientology came through again!!!

I found myself getting quite annoyed at the lack of COS footbullets in the past week. After Debbie's email came out I expected at least some semblence of stupidity. But nooooooo...amazingly, the cos seemed to quietly ignore the blatant attack.

It's not for nothing that the cos established it's reputation for conducting the world's stupidest PR policy.

Yesterday's article in the Village Voice says it all:

Village Voice article

(Thanks to HH for showing me this in an earlier post)

johnAnchovie

Still raging
Re: Tom Cruise spied on by top assistant

Scientology came through again!!!

I found myself getting quite annoyed at the lack of COS footbullets in the past week. After Debbie's email came out I expected at least some semblence of stupidity. But nooooooo...amazingly, the cos seemed to quietly ignore the blatant attack.

It's not for nothing that the cos established it's reputation for conducting the world's stupidest PR policy.

Yesterday's article in the Village Voice says it all:

Village Voice article

(Thanks to HH for showing me this in an earlier post)

Ooh, ow, Village Voice. Ouchie, ouchie for little Davie! That will hurt a lot.

On a separate note, the more Mike and Marty deliver the like, the more my attitude to this terrible duo will soften.

This is something of a moral conflict for me at the moment, not from any particular search for spiritual or religious healing but rather as a part of some academic work that I am presently engaged in, I am reading extracts from the reported Buddhist dialogues and the conversations and works of St. Francis of Assisi. These are texts rich in the ideas of letting go, of forgiving of love for humanity and nature. As an atheist studying the humanities I find the texts beautiful and joyfully humbling. I find myself fully in tune with sentiments these sages express. Yet, I am taking quite some gloating pleasure in any discomfort suffered by that little dictator and his henchmen. I wonder if these opposing sentiments are compatible?

Arthur Dent

Re: Tom Cruise spied on by top assistant

Oh yes, it has been far too quiet this week, I agree.
I do love the Village Voice! Thank you, Tony!! Again!

Is Tom so isolated he won't know of this article? Katie? Anyone??