What's new

How Scientology's CCHR Helping Drug Companies And Psychiatry.

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I just read this interesting article here:

Why Psychiatry Embraced Drugs: An Interview with Author Robert Whitaker
http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/5/...rugs-an-interview-with-author-robert-whitaker

The last Q@A was particularly interesting:

Kelly Bourdet:

"You mentioned Eli Lily and their response to data showing Prozac being associated with suicidal ideation,
and how scientology and its views on psychiatry entered the picture.
"

Robert Whitaker:

"I made a little joke in the book about psychiatry secretly funding scientology, but really, it couldn’t have worked out better for the pharmaceutical companies and biological psychiatry.
The reason is that, of course, it delegitimizes criticism. The fact that scientology is so visibly attacking biological psychiatry and attacking psychiatric drugs delegitimizes all criticism.
Scientologists clearly do have a cult-like status and they clearly do have an agenda. The fact that they’re so visible makes it very easy for psychiatry and pharmaceutical companies to say,
“This is just criticism coming from that crazy group.” Some of the stuff, they’ve gone into the data and they’ve brought out some information. Because it was scientology and CCHR
that was out front with the criticism and raising questions and raising accusations that these drugs were causing suicide and violence, just made it really easy for pharmaceutical industry and Eli Lily to have it dismissed.
If we didn’t have Scientology. Imagine it doesn’t exist and there’s no such group raising criticism. The questions around whether Prozac can stir violence or could cause someone to become suicidal or homicidal would have had a lot more traction
."

I guess the point is - "Big pharma" is far from perfect, but scientology and its front groups/CCHR did enough self dead agenting to not be credible in public eyes, even when they report true facts or try to do good.
Cult think and other agenda. With all that in mind, I can see how scientology/CCHR, unintentionally ended up in a way aiding their nemesis. What a twist.

Please, share you thoughts.

Last edited:

Anonycat

Crusader
Medical advice is just that - advice. CCHR spreads lies, like people are forced to do (fill in the blank). That is patently untrue. Adults can choose to follow advice, get a second, third, or hundredth option and do as they wish. As for minors, the same goes; parents choose what they'd like to do. The professional medical field offers options. CCHR/Sci would like people to not see that, to further their agenda.

Further, many people need medication in order to live a life that will keep them from killing themselves, or self-destruct in other ways. The spectrum is huge, from depression to schizophrenia to other life-crushing issues. Sci cannot help any of those matters, but would like to toot a horn as if they could. Unqualified medical advice is illegal, of course, but they don't care. Go ahead and die in a Narconon, they got your $30,000.

What I feel the author is saying, is that the noisy CoS is doing is making a valid discussion - by qualified opinions - slightly overcome by the ridiculous claims of CoS.

I do not agree. No one really listens to CoS about the medical field, but do discuss with qualified voices.

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I want Tom Cruise to pitch in his opinion here too.
I heard he knows it all. That OT VII drag must be awesome.

I just read this interesting article here:

Why Psychiatry Embraced Drugs: An Interview with Author Robert Whitaker
http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/5/...rugs-an-interview-with-author-robert-whitaker

The last Q@A was particularly interesting:

Kelly Bourdet:

"You mentioned Eli Lily and their response to data showing Prozac being associated with suicidal ideation,
and how scientology and its views on psychiatry entered the picture.
"

Robert Whitaker:

"I made a little joke in the book about psychiatry secretly funding scientology, but really, it couldn’t have worked out better for the pharmaceutical companies and biological psychiatry.
The reason is that, of course, it delegitimizes criticism. The fact that scientology is so visibly attacking biological psychiatry and attacking psychiatric drugs delegitimizes all criticism.
Scientologists clearly do have a cult-like status and they clearly do have an agenda. The fact that they’re so visible makes it very easy for psychiatry and pharmaceutical companies to say,
“This is just criticism coming from that crazy group.” Some of the stuff, they’ve gone into the data and they’ve brought out some information. Because it was scientology and CCHR
that was out front with the criticism and raising questions and raising accusations that these drugs were causing suicide and violence, just made it really easy for pharmaceutical industry and Eli Lily to have it dismissed.
If we didn’t have Scientology. Imagine it doesn’t exist and there’s no such group raising criticism. The questions around whether Prozac can stir violence or could cause someone to become suicidal or homicidal would have had a lot more traction
."

I guess the point is - "Big pharma" is far from perfect, but scientology and its front groups/CCHR did enough self dead agenting to not be credible in public eyes, even when they report true facts or try to do good. Cult think and other agenda. With all that in mind, I can see how scientology/CCHR, unintentionally ended up in a way aiding their nemesis. What a twist.

I agree. "If scientology hates it, it must be good", is the position they are in now.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
I guess the point is - "Big pharma" is far from perfect, but scientology and its front groups/CCHR did enough self dead agenting to not be credible in public eyes, even when they report true facts or try to do good.
Cult think and other agenda. With all that in mind, I can see how scientology/CCHR, unintentionally ended up in a way aiding their nemesis. What a twist.

I actually agree. CCHR is one of many voices speaking out against Big Pharma. While they raise some good points, I think that they end up destroying their own credibility in the long run with over the top psychiatry funded the Nazi's types of claims.

That, in turn, taints the entire lot of truly credible people who want to speak out against Big Pharma.

At the end of the day, I really believe that most psychs truly want to help and do the best that they can. Unfortunately, their education is funded by Big Pharma, and they don't get a well-rounded enough education on how to treat mental illness without pills (which happen to be expensive, not yet generic, and cause all sorts of horrible side effects).

Anonycat

Crusader
I actually agree. CCHR is one of many voices speaking out against Big Pharma. While they raise some good points, I think that they end up destroying their own credibility in the long run with over the top psychiatry funded the Nazi's types of claims.

That, in turn, taints the entire lot of truly credible people who want to speak out against Big Pharma.

At the end of the day, I really believe that most psychs truly want to help and do the best that they can. Unfortunately, their education is funded by Big Pharma, and they don't get a well-rounded enough education on how to treat mental illness without pills (which happen to be expensive, not yet generic, and cause all sorts of horrible side effects).

I disagree. Psychiatrist's begin their training in Universities, not in Pfizer classrooms. And it doesn't stop there by a long shot.

In order to become a psychiatrist, a person must have either a M.D. or D.O. degree from an accredited school of medicine or osteopathy. In addition to this, a four year residency must be completed with at least three of these years specifically in the practice of psychiatry.

After completing this residency, prospective psychiatrists must then a written and oral examination. The written exam lasts a full day and covers basic science, clinical psychiatry and specialty areas within psychiatry. The oral segment of the exam is design to assess skills in real settings through actual observation of an examination and patient history with a client.

Once the exam has been completed, the individual is then eligible to apply for board certification. This certification is granted through the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN), a member of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). Once a psychiatrist has been granted board certification, he or she may practice legally anywhere in the United States. However, this certification must be renewed every ten years.
How Long Does It Take to Become a Psychiatrist?

Typically, it takes about eight years of post-undergraduate study in order to become a board certified psychiatrist.

The educational time-line for becoming a psychiatrist looks much like this:

Bachelor’s degree: 4 years
Medical school: 4 years
Residency: 4 years
Exam
Apply with the Board

Summary: To complete your training takes 12 years. This is a highly trained medical specialty. Don't let Tom Cruise tell you he knows more about it than they do.

johnAnchovie

Still raging
My dear 'foster uncle' is psychiatrist. I wish I had listened to him as a young, terribly damaged idiot blundering around looking for 'spiritual healing'.

I have some wonderful chats with hims since getting out of the cult, he is not a pill pusher and displays more ethical and humane morality than any of the CCHR delusional fools display in life time. (sorry that is a bit sweeping, but the CCHR hate group does real damage and prays on terribly vulnerable people).

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron
My take on this is the scn used this to fill the IAS coffers by getting unsuspecting scios to pay up to fund the fight. Co-conspiritors they are in that sense.

It is the same with Narconon. I was told by an ED of one, that it rakes in millions of dollars in drug re-hab funds. Getting people off drugs is a good thing to do however it appears as if it is in the guise of greed. I mean, why isn't the cult preventing it in the fiirst place thru education instead of proffiting off it?

This is the same as calling the police, army, newspapers, & media crime and war mongers or "Merchants of Chaos". Why isn't that the same thing as Narconon and CCHR? They depend on that Merchant of Chaos/drug dealer to succeed and rake in millions.

Anonycat

Crusader
My take on this is the scn used this to fill the IAS coffers by getting unsuspecting scios to pay up to fund the fight. Co-conspiritors they are in that sense.

It is the same with Narconon. I was told by an ED of one, that it rakes in millions of dollars in drug re-hab funds. Getting people off drugs is a good thing to do however it appears as if it is in the guise of greed. I mean, why isn't the cult preventing it in the fiirst place thru education instead of proffiting off it?

This is the same as calling the police, army, newspapers, & media crime and war mongers or "Merchants of Chaos". Why isn't that the same thing as Narconon and CCHR? They depend on that Merchant of Chaos/drug dealer to succeed and rake in millions.

This is what really pisses me off. They promote themselves (in front groups or as CoS) to be great humanitarians, but in fact they are profiteers who hurt humanity. What could be sleazier. This is the lowest form of con, when people suffer and/or die as a result. It is the definition of anti-humanitarian.

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
CCHR could be a lot more credible, valuable and effective if it wouldn't
be part of CofS and it's agenda.

Question: what are other similar to CCHR organizations with no links
to CofS?

It would be good to have a list of them here.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
snipped

I've met many of the 'cases' that CCHR were pretending to help ... and they knew (after a very short time) that the 'help' was phony and that CCHR only wanted information for it's own purposes.

People that had been through some terrible traumas (psychiatrists don't have all the answers and do make mistakes) ... that were sometimes still on heavy medication and were still mid trauma (or had family members that were) were perceptive enough to see that CCHR was just pretending to help them and said so.

It's a very degraded situation and operates exactly like the cofs ... its all about getting the stats up and keeping some nasty or robotic exec happy.

I met some genuinely caring 'psychs' though.

:yes:

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron

I've met many of the 'cases' that CCHR were pretending to help ... and they knew (after a very short time) that the 'help' was phony and that CCHR only wanted information for it's own purposes.

People that had been through some terrible traumas (psychiatrists don't have all the answers and do make mistakes) ... that were sometimes still on heavy medication and were still mid trauma (or had family members that were) were perceptive enough to see that CCHR was just pretending to help them and said so.

It's a very degraded situation and operates exactly like the cofs ... its all about getting the stats up and keeping some nasty or robotic exec happy.

I met some genuinely caring 'psychs' though.

:yes:

And that's why I think we need to have a list of groups who care, minus mindfuck/Scientology agenda.

Terril park

Sponsor

Question: what are other similar to CCHR organizations with no links
to CofS?

It would be good to have a list of them here.

I read years ago on critical fora that most anti psychiatry
organisations wanted nothing to do woth CO$ CCHR.

Just google anti psychiatry and you'll find plenty of groups.

renegade

Call me cynical but I believe all the front groups are baby step and pre-conditioning into the cult. It serves as a double edged sword that makes the public already in to trust scn is the greatest good, all the while cultivating trust in the general public by promoting goodwill in the WTH, CCHR, ABLE, etc.

All roads lead to the cult in the end. It is simply an introduction to the "Routes onto the Bridge" in Div 6. Where do the Narconon public end up? I have seen them in the org. Ditto with WTH booklets, and WISE.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
Call me cynical but I believe all the front groups are baby step and pre-conditioning into the cult. It serves as a double edged sword that makes the public already in to trust scn is the greatest good, all the while cultivating trust in the general public by promoting goodwill in the WTH, CCHR, ABLE, etc.

All roads lead to the cult in the end. It is simply an introduction to the "Routes onto the Bridge" in Div 6. Where do the Narconon public end up? I have seen them in the org. Ditto with WTH booklets, and WISE.

That's not cynical at all. It's just fact. :yes:

guanoloco

As-Wased
This is a perfect example of enantiodromia and the hallmark of Scientology.

If Scientology opposes something I am willing to bet that actually boosts the "PR" of the something in the "wog" world.

Look, anything that Scientology promotes is hated...as in L. Ron Hubbard, for example.

renegade

I agree.

If the promotion of scn wasn't so covertly done by front groups, they probally would do better. It is the first betrayal/lie in a future of many more to come.

LRH calld it (enantiodromia) reverse vectors and it happens to people downtone. (tape lecture What's wrong with this universe).