How to find your friends: Scientology on Facebook

DCAnon

Silver Meritorious Patron
Okay, I thought this deserved its own thread. There's a few threads about it, but here's a list. For a run down to those who are not good at internets, facebook.com is a social networking site where people can post about themselves, post pictures, keep in touch, and send messages to each other. There are many networks, such as schools, workplaces, cities etc. that people can join to see other people who belong to the same social network. You can join at any time, it's free, and it is possible to join under a false name with false information if you're interested. Some profiles are open to the public and anyone can see them, sometimes people set their profiles to private so only their friends or people on the same networks can see them.

It is also a great way to communicate with Scientologists or to see if someone you knew is still in. Many MANY Scientologists are members of facebook and they all tend to be friends with each other or part of the same Scientologist groups on facebook. It's worth a peek if you're looking for someone or if there's someone you'd like to open communications with. For example:

There are 556 members of the "official" Scientology group on Facebook. Some of these are not actually Scientologists. :coolwink: 96% of them are young probably second generation Scientologists or young publics who you couldn't keep off the internet if you tried. Wonder how long they'll be allowed access to Facebook as it becomes an increasingly more "entheta" website. (Other groups include Dianetics, the CCHR, etc. Just search Scientology terms in the groups list and you'll hit a bunch)

Admins include:
Peg Odom Charlotte, NC
Zee Schaffner, LA
Sandra Blokker, Denmark
Jade Barendsen, London
Susan Robillard, Montreal
Gabrielle Utz, LA
Shlomit Weinreb Flesch, Israel
Greg Boyd (Admin I/C, Cambridge Business Expansion Network)
JoJo Zawawi (Celebrity I/C Improvisational Piano, Composer)
Mandi Waldbaum, South Africa
Renee Cornish, Tampa Fl
Emily Liebl, LA
Maggie Ibañez Turnbull, Mexico
Stefano Nurchi, Italy
Ingo Lehmann, LA
Jean-Pierre Giner, London
Tad Reeves (Internet Officer, hurr hurr hurr)
Jimmy Charlie, LA

Officers include:
Susan Robillard, Montreal
Richard Emmitt, West Midlands UK
Karen Hadley, Tulsa OK
Randall Gillion, Tampa FL
Grant Cardone, LA
Ron Savelo (Human Mind Course & Freedom Magazine TV Director)
Carole Tobias Eddington, Chicago
Julieta Gil, Florida
Shobhit Gupta, India
Nikolas Croft, London
Ryan Kitson, Plymouth UK
Cassandra Hepburn (Celebrities I/C, Actress - Film & Television )
Larz Lindstrom, Sillicon Valley CA
Tom Jacoby, New York City
Martin Soler (Scientology BASICS I/C & Blogger )
Rene F. Alvarado, Colombia
Puneet Dhamija, South Africa
Amber Maher Gilbert (Causes I/C, Art Direction Promo & Marketing Services)
David Stubblefield, St Louis MO
Cass Warner (Celebrities I/C & Independent film production)
Gabrielle Utz, LA
Shlomit Weinreb Flesch, Israel
Ejaz Younis, Portsmouth
Dario Collu, Spain
Maggie Ibañez Turnbull, Mexico
Richard Harriston, Toronto
JoJo Zawawi (Celebrity I/C Improvisational Piano, Composer)
Greg Boyd (Admin I/C, Cambridge Business Expansion Network)
Mandi Waldbaum, South Africa
Emily Liebl, LA
Renee Cornish, Tampa Fl
Stefano Nurchi, Italy
Anne-Grethe Boel, Denmark
Ingo Lehmann, LA
Jean-Pierre Giner, London
Tad Reeves (Internet Officer)
Jimmy Charlie, LA

I absolutely would NOT encourage undeclared exes, exes in good standing, and exes who have not announced they're ex to sign up and start communicating with anyone on facebook to try and find lost friends, ask questions, and see what the current PR campaign the CoS is using to cover up all the news reports. I would also not encourage people who want to join up to use a false name if you'd prefer to remain anonymous. ANZO people, I know your OSA is all up on facebook. :coolwink:

ILived1984!

Patron with Honors
Great post DCAnon. It was through Facebook that I found dozens of people who becam Ex SO after I left a little over a year ago. I was shocked at the amount of ex SO just from when I left. If you find someone who you thought was in the SO on Facebook, it means they're out. I had to confirm that with another ex SO, still in Scn, friend. Wait, just found another one listed in that post! A lot of the ex SO, actually all of the ones I've found, have Scn listed as their religion.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Are these admins and officers of the "official" Scn group?

I do have a Facebook account but it's a while since I've used it and I forgot the password, and it's taking a while to come through after requesting a new one.

Paul

byte301

Crusader
Thanks for the info, DC. How about MySpace? Same dealeo?

I never joined either but I have friends on both.

DCAnon

I do have a Facebook account but it's a while since I've used it and I forgot the password, and it's taking a while to come through after requesting a new one.

Paul

Yup, these admins/officers are just the "official" group list. There's a bunch more Scn related groups though for people who are interested in looking.

dt2000

Patron with Honors

Paul

They are all public, some ex-SO. I know quite a few of them.

There have been many off-shoot "Scn groups" on facebook that many Scn'ists have joined and then found out that it was a "Squirrel" group. This one seems to be the "real deal".

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Yup, these admins/officers are just the "official" group list. There's a bunch more Scn related groups though for people who are interested in looking.

Thanks. That's an awful lot of Chiefs for one little group!

Paul

DCAnon

Thanks for the info, DC. How about MySpace? Same dealeo?

I never joined either but I have friends on both.

I noticed that a lot of the people on the Scientology facebook groups link to their personal blogs and myspace accounts. There's also Scientology groups on Myspace and many of the Scientology "celebrities" have personal pages there. Among the younger crowd, you just can't keep them off the internet.

hartley

Patron with Honors
The first CoS attempt to take over on Facebook was a disaster.

Following the 2007 Panorama BBC TV program a lot of anti-scientology Groups were started on Facebook, but were quickly abandoned. This is normal for Facebook.
A bright young CoS person noticed that if a Facebook Group's Admin/officers are all no longer active the members can elect new Admin to run the Group. She therefore proposed taking over the anti Groups and turning them into covert pro Groups. Idiotically she did this on her pro-CoS group quite openly, someone noticed and reported her, and she got banned. She hadn't read the wog rules.

When Anonymous appeared some used Facebook for a while to organise before they got websites and forums of their own. Old Guard critics have also put up Facebook pages, but more as a presence than for activism. Search in the 'people' category on 'Scientology' and you'll find the usual suspects, all the well known ones are genuine so far as I know.

Returning for a second try, OSA found out how to use a loophole to spam the Facebook search engine, founding separate Groups all called 'Scientology' in lots of different categories. Anonymous have apparently retaliated by doing the same!

One point worth noting is that the Facebook search engine is heavily weighted towards new content, as it should be. A page that is not updated often will sink rapidly down the listings.