What's new

How to Leave?!

XenusChild

Patron with Honors
Hi everyone. I've only been a member of the Church of Scientology for a couple months. In that short time, I've noticed a lot of things that I like, and a lot of things that I don't about Scientology. A lot of it makes sense to me, and most of the people at the Org are nice. However, the more I read about Scientology, and not just the pro stuff, the more I see that things aren't as they seem, especially the OT levels, and the fact that the Bridge to Total Freedom isn't even complete, so how can I have "Total Freedom"?

My main issue is the constant asking for more money. I don't make a lot of money, and am still in college too. Yet, they want me to sign up for all these services, the Basics, Basics courses, etc. So far, I've only done the BSM, PE, STCC, Life Repair, and am midway thru HQS. I've also paid for an annual IAS membership, all the Basics books, and two lectures so far (in addition to a bunch of DVDs and classic lectures). Now I'm being asked to get all the lectures (I told them I can't buy a package so I'd have to do it one by one, even if it costs more in the end), all the basics courses, and sign up for Purif/TRs and Objectives. This is a lot of money for me, especially since I'm also paying for school! I let them know that this is a lot of money for me, but they still ask for donations, and say that this is really more important than school, etc (and when I mention my career goals, they say that being an auditor would be much better/helpful).

I hated when I got sick during Life Repair, I had to do another PTS Handling, even though the weather was changing, I was out in the cold a lot, etc. Granted, I do think it makes sense that stress can exacerbate illness, but does this mean that every single time I get sick I'm connected to an SP?

I think I made a lot of stuff up during Life Repair whenever there was a read and I couldn't think of anything/no image "popped up"/etc.

I also signed up for staff (I was kinda coerced into doing so), but haven't started yet since I have a very busy schedule with school and work (plus Scn courses/services). They're trying to get me on as soon as possible, but I've kinda been resisting, luckily due to my schedule mostly.

So at this point, I feel like I just want to be done with Scientology. I did like it at the beginning, during BSM/PE/STCC, and I did get some things out of Life Repair, some of the books. But I just can't handle the constant asking for donations ("regging"?), especially when I'd like to pay off my debts, and pay for school. I don't like spending 3-4 days/week there when I'm already busy. And I know I can't do staff, and tried to get out of it, but they keep trying to get me to stay with it and eventually come on.

I'm assuming I'm not alone in feeling this way. How should I handle it? Should I just ignore all the phone calls/texts, delete/block Scientology Facebook friends, and that's it? I hope they wouldn't resort to showing up at my home (my parents would love that).

Any help is appreciated!

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Welcome to ESMB. Just leave. Tell them not to contact you, and if they call you or turn up at your house, tell them to go away and leave you alone. Be persistent, because they won't respect your wishes at first.

Good luck.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I'm assuming I'm not alone in feeling this way. How should I handle it? Should I just ignore all the phone calls/texts, delete/block Scientology Facebook friends, and that's it? I hope they wouldn't resort to showing up at my home (my parents would love that).

Any help is appreciated!

Yeah, just leave. If (ho ho, when) pushed, say you've been reading the internet. If pushed more, start asking about Xenu and body thetans. If they still come after you, start threatening police, legal action, press etc.

Paul

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, really the only workable solution is leave. Period.

If we were talking about a sane group, then other solutions would be possible, such as "Just take the courses you want" or "Buy what you want and leave the rest" or "Take some time away to let it settle in, then do more only if you want."

The Church of Scientology is not a sane group and no reasonable approaches are workable. There is only one way to deal with the church -- leave.

With the church, you must be rude about it. You can't be polite or nice or gentle because they only take that as a weakness. Be rude. Say "No". When they ignore that say, "NO" When they ignore that say,
NO!!!!
Nothing else will work.

Bill

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Hopefully they haven't completely destroyed your non-cult social relationships at this point. You can just quietly fade away like I did and try to keep the cult friends you want. Or you can make a big fuss of it and get declared.

Either way, you will have total freedom once you free yourself from Total Freedom. :thumbsup:

Oh, and ya know, posting on here is a one way ticket to ethics and an SP declare, and OSA reads these boards. So if they figure out who you are from the above intro, that's yet another way out.

Veda

Sponsor
Hi everyone. I've only been a member of the Church of Scientology for a couple months. In that short time, I've noticed a lot of things that I like, and a lot of things that I don't about Scientology. A lot of it makes sense to me, and most of the people at the Org are nice. However, the more I read about Scientology, and not just the pro stuff, the more I see that things aren't as they seem, especially the OT levels, and the fact that the Bridge to Total Freedom isn't even complete, so how can I have "Total Freedom"?

My main issue is the constant asking for more money. I don't make a lot of money, and am still in college too. Yet, they want me to sign up for all these services, the Basics, Basics courses, etc. So far, I've only done the BSM, PE, STCC, Life Repair, and am midway thru HQS. I've also paid for an annual IAS membership, all the Basics books, and two lectures so far (in addition to a bunch of DVDs and classic lectures). Now I'm being asked to get all the lectures (I told them I can't buy a package so I'd have to do it one by one, even if it costs more in the end), all the basics courses, and sign up for Purif/TRs and Objectives. This is a lot of money for me, especially since I'm also paying for school! I let them know that this is a lot of money for me, but they still ask for donations, and say that this is really more important than school, etc (and when I mention my career goals, they say that being an auditor would be much better/helpful).

I hated when I got sick during Life Repair, I had to do another PTS Handling, even though the weather was changing, I was out in the cold a lot, etc. Granted, I do think it makes sense that stress can exacerbate illness, but does this mean that every single time I get sick I'm connected to an SP?

I think I made a lot of stuff up during Life Repair whenever there was a read and I couldn't think of anything/no image "popped up"/etc.

I also signed up for staff (I was kinda coerced into doing so), but haven't started yet since I have a very busy schedule with school and work (plus Scn courses/services). They're trying to get me on as soon as possible, but I've kinda been resisting, luckily due to my schedule mostly.

So at this point, I feel like I just want to be done with Scientology. I did like it at the beginning, during BSM/PE/STCC, and I did get some things out of Life Repair, some of the books. But I just can't handle the constant asking for donations ("regging"?), especially when I'd like to pay off my debts, and pay for school. I don't like spending 3-4 days/week there when I'm already busy. And I know I can't do staff, and tried to get out of it, but they keep trying to get me to stay with it and eventually come on.

Any help is appreciated!

Just leave, and ignore them. If they show up at your home, tell them that you're not a Scientologist and that you're not interested in Scientology.

You really have no choice, if you want to be happy. Onions may smell nice at a distance, but you wouldn't want to live in one.

http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105

yellowonion.jpg

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Veda: "Onions may smell nice at a distance, but you wouldn't want to live in one."

Nice one!

my advice to OP:

HANG ONTO YOUR WALLET AND RUN LIKE HELL!

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
It can be a bit tougher to leave when on staff than when just taking courses and whatnot.

But I think the same method could be used either way. I would say to just leave and take no calls from them. Don't talk to them about it. You'll end up being argued with, being sent to ethics, being "handled", being put on routing forms. I know, cuz I've experienced all that- as have many others here.

If it were me, and I had it to do all over again (I've left twice. Once when on staff- I "blew"- and once as a public) I would just stop coming in. If you have caller id, that can help with call screening. Screen your calls. Change your number if you have to. If you have cell and landline but they only have one of the numbers, screen the calls and mainly use the other line til you get your number changed, if you decide to do so.

They may send someone around to your home to talk to you. Tell them you have nothing to say. Look bored when you say it. Not angry, not thrilled, just bored. My husband has said in the past that one should "stonewall" when in those situations.

I honestly think that's the best approach, from what I've seen, from what others have described to me about their experiences and from my own experiences.

Free Being Me

Crusader
Just leave. Be firm and make it clear you are done. Hubbardites are trained to retain you at all costs, so be prepared for some attempts at contact. Tell them you are starting an Anonymous World Head Quarters, complete with Zenu and Guy Fawkes masks. :biggrin:

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Whatever you do, don't let them derail your college education.

Just stop going in. Tell them you've read a lot on the internet and you've decided you don't want to be a Scn any more and don't agree to any offered "handlings".

Read more on ESMB - Veda's posts are a very good start on really understanding Scn.

Read the stories of those involved for decades.

If you still are interested in the subject make some contacts in the freezone.

XenusChild

Patron with Honors
Oh, and ya know, posting on here is a one way ticket to ethics and an SP declare, and OSA reads these boards. So if they figure out who you are from the above intro, that's yet another way out.

Really? That's...interesting. Guess if I'm at the org and they call me into ethics, I know what happened, haha.

I'm surprised they read here, with all the "suppressive" info.

Thanks!

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Get yourself a Guy Fawkes (V For Vendetta) mask. If a Scn comes to the door, wear it when you greet him.

As the rest have said, just stop showing up, and when they call just say you are not interested. If they persist in asking why, tell them you read on the Internet that David Miscavige is a squirrel.

XenusChild

Patron with Honors
Whatever you do, don't let them derail your college education.

Just stop going in. Tell them you've read a lot on the internet and you've decided you don't want to be a Scn any more and don't agree to any offered "handlings".

Read more on ESMB - Veda's posts are a very good start on really understanding Scn.

Read the stories of those involved for decades.

If you still are interested in the subject make some contacts in the freezone.

Thanks a lot. Yeah college and grad school are really important, and I'm not stopping school for anything. That's one of the things that has bothered me about some of the Scientologists I've talked to. They hint that Scn is more important than school, that I should become an auditor instead, it's as technical as what I want to study, etc.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Just leave. Be firm and make it clear you are done. Hubbardites are trained to retain you at all costs, so be prepared for some attempts at contact. Tell them you are starting an Anonymous World Head Quarters, complete with Zenu and Guy Fawkes masks. :biggrin:

Personally I wouldn't tell them jack shit. I'd leave and say NOTHING. Talking to them only makes them want to argue and waste your time. If you leave and say nothing, they'll never know, they'll have no ammo, they'll have nuttin'.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron

Any help is appreciated!

Just leave, don't Q & A with them. You don't owe them a reason. Formally ask for your money back, and, don't give them any reason for that, just demand. And when they offer various reviews, just demand money, not any horseshit. Be totally unreasonable about asking for your money back, twice as unreasonable as a redge demanding money out of you.

Of course, while on the topic of redging and money, I have a song parody to toss at you. It is spot on, especially in your case, since redging is mainly what the Cof$ is all about.

Pete

Registrar
(tune of Candyman)

Who can make the big lies,
Credible to you?
Appealing to your conscience with an urgency or two,
The registrar, the registrar can,
The registrar can ‘cause he pushes your buttons,
To make your church seem good!

Who takes a 401k,
Dismisses with a sigh,
Makes it no more important than a pasture patty pie …
The registrar? The registrar can!
The registrar can ‘cause he tells you all the lies,
That make your church look good!

The registrar will take,
Every cent you make,
With a tech that’s so malicious,
Before you even get suspicious,
You’ll hock all your heirloom dishes!

Mortgage your tomorrow,
For the Scilon dream,
Who makes you get the sorrow while your church gets all the cream?
The registrar? The registrar can, The registrar can!
The registrar can ‘cause he tells you all the lies,
That make the church look good!
And your church looks good.
‘Cause the redge makes his stats look good!

And here's the original tune so you can sing along with the new lyrics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRf1Ad_Txsg

still here

Patron with Honors
If you are reading and posting here your decision is already made, and that is the hardest part done.

You seem very focussed and to know what you want, your determination to go to college and grad school is admirable.

Using those skills - just walk away, and if they ask, tell them goodbye.

Good for you, you spotted the insanity early!

Still :yes:

Free Being Me

Crusader

Personally I wouldn't tell them jack shit. I'd leave and say NOTHING. Talking to them only makes them want to argue and waste your time. If you leave and say nothing, they'll never know, they'll have no ammo, they'll have nuttin'.

I never said anything about arguing or belaboring a personal decision with Hubbardites. That's an exercise in futility. Not stating ones position leaves room for future assumptions on the Hubbardites part, to make contact over what's not said and twisting it, as you just demonstrated.

Moosejewels

Patron Meritorious

This ^^^^ . Simplicity is best ! End of story. Don't even acknowledge their

existence. And stay in school with your wallet intact. It's your life they're trying to

suck out of you. Be strong and GOOD LUCK ! :clap:

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
Any help is appreciated!

The future in front of you is giant. Build your life.

Please don't cave to the "sky is falling" crowd.

You do want the future of all you know to get better right? Then don't partake in scn. It will not help you. I guarantee it.

And make sure you ignore conspiracy theories, that's just part of the same bag of trash scn is made of.

Listen, ron saw an avenue to make some money by making end users believe other things.

Why did alot of people listen? good question.

Be brave and be yourself.