What's new

Hubbards' joke on us...

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
Every so often a member here will mention how he, she or other insiders knew that Hubbard scorned his fawning followers. That he thought very little of them since they 'bought' his 'religion' hook, line and sinker. That they heeded his dictates like over-literal sheep.

Well, I had a blognition recently that he wasn't hiding how he thought about us at all, he was just clever about it; he used a double entendre.

I think he laughed inside when referring to the True Believers as 'thetans'.

Hubbard posits it as the Greek word for "thought, life force, elan vital, the spirit, the soul,..." in Science of Survival, a definition you won't find in Merriam - Webster, only in the Tech Dictionary.

I believe he meant it in its more frequently known definition, referring to brain wave state, as stated here:

http://stephanieriseley.com/what-is-hypnotherapy

"Hypnosis is a naturally occurring trance state that happens all the time throughout the day – it’s simply a relaxed state of focused concentration. In fact, you’ve probably experienced a mild state of hypnosis, called Alpha consciousness, many times, but just never knew it. For instance, whenever you’re driving on the freeway, but thinking of something else and you realize you’ve just passed your exit, then you were in an Alpha state. That happens to all of us, doesn’t it? And that’s hypnosis.

A deeper trance state, called Theta, can occur when you come home from work, exhausted, and all you have the energy to do is to pick up the remote and watch TV. Television actually creates “Theta waves” in your brain, and advertisers use your suggestibility in that state to “hypnotize” you into buying their products. In fact, one of the reasons there is such an epidemic of obesity in this country right now, is that for the last sixty years, we’ve all been hypnotized into eating the wrong food, at the wrong time and in the wrong amount.

The deepest level of hypnosis, Delta consciousness, allows you to access your subconscious, unconscious mind. There is one simple, central truth about every level of hypnosis: all hypnosis is self-hypnosis. A person who is unwilling to be hypnotized cannot be hypnotized, for hypnosis to be successful, the individual must be willing and cooperative...."

This is the joke on us; the 'why' for the sleep deprived, overworked and stressed out staff being driven down from the very suggestible theta state into the even worse delta state.

Not to mention how auditing may lock one into a delta state when done evilly.

All this done by a man who happily affirmed his desire "to make all men my slaves."

Make 'thetans' of us all - what better way?

Veda

Sponsor
A more frequently noted possibility is that thetan, pronounced, in its original American English, thay-tan, was an inside joke whereby Hubbard led his followers down the path to calling themselves Satan with a lisp.

ron-operator-1980.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYOMJjwFV4Q

PSIKICKS666.jpg

adcian

Anyone who REALLY thinks it was all just "Hubbard's hoax"... OBVIOUSLY passed a few too many MUs.. and for sure.. you never KNEW LRH.... I worked on the ship.. He lived the life of a MONK, in a "cabin" about the size of a nice, walk-in closet!.. (IE.. about 6' X 8'). Just HOW "stupid" would he have to be to not just WALK OFF with millions & live in luxury? Yeah.. you really "know alot" about Scn.... & LRH.... LOL! He did more in an average week than you likely did in the past ten yrs... ie: He MADE a positive effect on the lives of others... WHAT's your "claim to fame" to dare insult that effort?

LA SCN

Anyone who REALLY thinks it was all just "Hubbard's hoax"... OBVIOUSLY passed a few too many MUs.. and for sure.. you never KNEW LRH.... I worked on the ship.. He lived the life of a MONK, in a "cabin" about the size of a nice, walk-in closet!.. (IE.. about 6' X 8'). Just HOW "stupid" would he have to be to not just WALK OFF with millions & live in luxury? Yeah.. you really "know alot" about Scn.... & LRH.... LOL! He did more in an average week than you likely did in the past ten yrs... ie: He MADE a positive effect on the lives of others... WHAT's your "claim to fame" to dare insult that effort?

REALLY?

REALLY?

Hang on a minute...I've got a call in to Paulette Cooper and I'm channeling Alan Walter...

This thing could go viral...

Smilla

Ordinary Human

I doubt that you were even born when Hubbard died.

oldhubb.jpg

Tits or GTFO.

LA SCN

Hoaxie?! Batter up! The bases are loaded. :yes:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

oops. Not sure what your point was - whether you were just trying to be ironical (a la HH) or you just wanted to expose yourself as a poser, either way you didn't do very well.

And if you were trying to claim that you were on the ship and this observation is "proof" you also failed in that as well.

Wanna try to re-boot this?

Veda

Sponsor

The author of Messiah or Madman? was also on the ship...

The book L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman? has been published in three English language editions, each further revised and updated (1987, 1992, and 1996.) There is also a hardbound Russian language edition that became available in 2005.

Unlike most other books on Scientology, 'Messiah or Madman?' examines both the "positives" and "negatives" of the subject.

An excerpt from the book flap for the 464 page 1996 edition:

"I have high hopes of smashing my name
into history so violently that it will take a
legendary form even if all the books are
destroyed. That goal is the real goal as far as
I am concerned. Things which stand too
consistently in my way make me nervous.
It's a pretty big job. In a hundred years
Roosevelt will have been forgotten - which
gives some idea of the magnitude of my
attempt. And all this boils and froths inside
my head...
"Psychiatrists, reaching the high of the
dusty desk, tell us that Alexander, Genghis
Khan and Napoleon were madmen. I know
they're maligning some very intelligent
gentlemen."

L. Ron Hubbard wrote these words in a letter to
his first wife in 1938.

In 1950 he wrote the bestseller 'Dianetics, the
Modern Science of Mental Health. This inspired a
layman oriented mental health movement which,
ultimately, developed into Scientology, the most
profitable of the money-making new religions.

Hubbard's early Dianetic and Scientology writings
borrow freely from Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, and
the founder of General Semantics, Alfred Korzybski.

And P.T. Barnum appears to have been an inspiration.

Hubbard also took much from the writings of Aleister
Crowley - self-proclaimed "Beast 666." This is a source
of embarrassment for the Scientology Church, which
is determined to achieve broad public acceptance.

In the 1960s Hubbard incorporated Brainwashing
methodologies into the subject. He established the
"Fair Game Policy" which states that an "enemy" of
Scientology "may be deprived of property or injured
by any means by any Scientologist, without
discipline of that Scientologist. May be tricked,
sued, lied to or destroyed."

He also became the Commodore of his own private
navy, and began to refer to himself as "Source."

L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman? exposes
as never before the dark side of Scientology, yet
contains an in-depth examination of the potential
positives of the subject and their actual origins.

All these people were also on the ship...

John McMaster, the 'first real Clear', from a 1985 interview:

"He [Hubbard] got the technology to the point where he had a sort of assembly line as he called it. And he told me how he was putting all these 'square ball bearings' on the beginning of the assembly line, and then turning them into 'round ball bearings' at the other end. That was his idea of 'standard tech'."

An excerpt from Russell Miller's interview of David Mayo, Class XII, former Senior C/S International, from August 1986.

This excerpt concerns events from the late 1960s:

"He [Hubbard] could be capable of incredible cruelty. On the ship there was an old man on the Royal Scotman who he made push a peanut round the decks with his nose. He had to get down on his hands and knees, he had to go round the deck, quite a long distance in a race with one or two others also in trouble. The first one back got let off and the last one got a double penalty.

"It was really tough on this old guy, Charlie Reisdorf. The surface of the deck was very rough wood, prone to splinter, so after pushing peanuts with their noses, they all had raw, bleeding noses, leaving a trail of blood behind them. I not only saw it but the entire crew of the ship was mustered - a mandatory attendance - we were required to watch this punishment, to make an example of it for the rest of us. Reisdorf was in his late 50s probably. His two daughters were messengers, they were 11 or 12 at time and his wife was there also.

"It was hard to say which was worse to watch: this old guy with a bleeding nose or his wife and kids sobbing and crying at being forced to watch this. Hubbard was standing there calling the shots, yelling, 'Faster, Faster!'. It was indignity, degradation and breaking a person's will, and making people watch. It was disgusting...

"They used to have people locked in the chain locker, including small children. It was very dangerous because if the anchor started to slip and started running out, it would probably turn a body into a pulp in no time at all...

"He [LRH] had a birthday party on March 13, 1968; there was a woman who he ordered locked in the chain locker. During the party he had brought her out. She was filthy, covered with dirt and rust, and had not been allowed to wash or change clothes - she had been in there for a week... he brought her out to the party. He said he was giving her a reprieve and permitting her to come to the party, as if that was a nice gesture. She wasn't allowed to change. She was brought to the party and had to stay, and later was returned [to the chain locker]... it was flaunting her degradation...

"Why did people stand by?...

"From time to time, Hubbard would cancel such activities like the chain locker, and blame it on someone else... He would start such pronouncements with, 'It has just come to my attention...'

"The length of time for children would vary, but no one was less than a day...

"Reisdorf [peanut pushing] affair - if someone tried to do something, it would have made it worse. Hubbard said that maritime law prevailed... He said that under maritime law, he had total power over everyone on the vessel..."

And one brief excerpt concerning events from the late 1970s:

"He told me he was obsessed with an insatiable lust for power and money. He said it very emphatically. He thought it wasn't possible to get enough. He didn't say it as if it was a fault, just his frustration that he couldn't get enough."

And this, from Alan Walter, who was on the ship for the first Class VIII course in 1968:

"...there was one stuck picture that would not go away. Behind it was at that time an unthinkable thought.

"Ron had Julia Salmon thrown overboard... Julia was... terribly overweight, and could not swim.

"The people who threw her overboard struggled to get her over the side; she was terrified; she kept crying out "I cannot swim!" On her way down she hit the side of the ship - I could hear her screams - it was obvious she was injured and drowning.

"The people on the deck all stood around too afraid to do anything. Fearing to originate any action less the become the target of LRHs displeasure.

"I ran and jumped over the side and rescued her. I then pulled her over to the ladder that led up to the ground level of the dock........it was about 20 feet straight up. She could not climb the steps. I had my shoulders under her butt pushing her up..... no one still had come to help.......but at the top of that ladder stood LRH filming us.....such evil.......

"Anyway after an immense struggle with Julia's help I was able to push her up to the top of the ladder....finally some help arrived.

"Over the years the unthinkable thought pushed forward more and more....it was 'that I observe that LRH was demonic at that time'. I did not want to know that, did not want to believe that.......that was too incredible to be believed - even for me - I did the usual make nothing of myself....'you're seeing things' 'what do you know' 'you've got overts' - much easier to blame self than confront what is..."

None of the above would have said that Scientology was "all bad," yet all would have agreed that Hubbard had a hidden agenda.

Maybe reading this link will help you to understand: http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105 :)

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M

Abbott:
You throw the ball to first base.
Costello: Then who gets it?
Abbott: Naturally.
Costello: Naturally.
Abbott: Now you've got it.
Costello: I throw the ball to Naturally.
Abbott: You don't! You throw it to Who!
Abbott: Well, that's it—say it that way.
Costello: That's what I said.
Abbott: You did not.
Costello: I said I throw the ball to Naturally.
Abbott: You don't! You throw it to Who!

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nti08LWtxJI

Last edited:

LA SCN

oops. Not sure what your point was - whether you were just trying to be ironical (a la HH) or you just wanted to expose yourself as a poser, either way you didn't do very well.

And if you were trying to claim that you were on the ship and this observation is "proof" you also failed in that as well.

Wanna try to re-boot this?

Well you are Mick the Merciful! :yes:

You could've cut him off at the knees...

LA SCN

While I'm at it here...

When I was training to audit Dianetics, DMSMH style on the early '80's HDA checksheet, the 13 page one, a couple LRH session recordings were required listening. I also remember a session he had recorded on mock-up or Creative processing on the PDC tapes when I listened to them.

What I don't remember is Hubbard finishing a session, taking it to EP and ending off...In the early ones it was always 'so and so will finish you later'...Anyone heard a session where he actually locates and releases charge and finishes the session on tape?

M

Moderator 2

Well you are Mick the Merciful! :yes:

You could've cut him off at the knees...

But we don't cut him off at the knees.

He's a new comer to the board so we welcome him and debate our views on Hubbard civilly.

It's not a dogpile you know. :)

M2

Last edited by a moderator:

Feral

Rogue male
While I'm at it here...

When I was training to audit Dianetics, DMSMH style on the early '80's HDA checksheet, the 13 page one, a couple LRH session recordings were required listening. I also remember a session he had recorded on mock-up or Creative processing on the PDC tapes when I listened to them.

What I don't remember is Hubbard finishing a session, taking it to EP and ending off...In the early ones it was always 'so and so will finish you later'...Anyone heard a session where he actually locates and releases charge and finishes the session on tape?

Your OP is great and my wife and I were just talking about the bait and switch of OT VII this morning and how people that chose to go through hell to get product 'A' were given something completely different at the end of the day, yet the poor sods stand there giving a detailed explanation of how happy they are to get product 'B'. Which is basically nowhere.

There was a test done by a university where this was done (can anyone help here?) where a confusion technique was used to get the mark to forget what they asked for. When asked if they were happy with what they got they explained it was what they always wanted. As I did, sadly.

As to Hubbard not getting EPs, that's easily explained by the time constraints of a demo tape. The thing I never got was that his auditing didn't match any of the HCOBs or the instructions on how to audit 'muzzled'. There was eval and chatter that if done in an HGC would result in complete retraining!

Feral

Rogue male

Welcome adcian.

You know you're not alone, Karen no1 and Mike Rinder were on the ship with Hiubbard and both think highly of him.

There is also Alan Walter, AFaceinthecrowd, Jessie Prince, Jeff Hawkins, as well as those mentioned by Veda that can show another side to the man.

You can read "Faces" posts here on ESMB as well as Alans.

When you do I'd like to hear your take on them.

All the best.

Feral

Rogue male
Couldn't find the study I was after.

[video=youtube;1Dt-fdqrd3Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dt-fdqrd3Q&feature=related[/video]

LA SCN

But we don't cut him off at the knees.

He's a new comer to the board so we welcome him and debate our views on Hubbard civilly.

It's not a dogpile you know. :)

M2

Yes. Point taken.

My apologies to our new member for my being impolite.

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
Because money was not enough for him, he wanted power, fame and control. he wanted to be a god.
IMO he did some good but the evil far outweighed the good. I refer to the disconnection and the breaking up of families and how if you spoke out he would try to ruin you and you can not disagree or speak freely. Also how he used his altitude to get you go go into debt.
I like the admin and I admit i got help from some of the auditing but it isn't close to the "standard" results he claimed.
But I enjoy the argument please try again. If you are for real.

Veda

Sponsor
Welcome adcian.

You know you're not alone, Karen no1 and Mike Rinder were on the ship with Hiubbard and both think highly of him.

There is also Alan Walter, AFaceinthecrowd, Jessie Prince, Jeff Hawkins, as well as those mentioned by Veda that can show another side to the man.

You can read "Faces" posts here on ESMB as well as Alans.

When you do I'd like to hear your take on them.

All the best.

I also want to hear adcian's views. :) A few more items...

As a change of pace. Here's some music. These folks are now ex-Scientologists:

Maya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCRVkyt74Ig

Douglas Traherne Harding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK2m7rYjZ54

A very cellular song - complete:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEfqpvnZD6E

IMO, the ISB initially benefited from their participation in Scientology in the mid/late 1960s, as Scientology public receiving auditing, with Robin Williamson being audited at St. Hill in England by Bent Corydon. http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0942637577.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (This was around the time that William Burroughs was briefly involved with Scientology. http://realitystudio.org/images/biography/burroughs_and_emeter.jpg

An interesting time.

I can remember when their music starting changing, losing its magic and creativity, with the band breaking up soon thereafter. This coincided with the ISB reaching the 'confidential' levels of the Grade Chart. Towards the end, the beautiful mystical poetry was gone - avoided as "R6 bank dramatization" and "mixing practices," etc., followed by several years of musical stagnation in the sterile land of Scientology, followed by permanently exiting Scientology.

Still, at their peak, when I saw them at the Fillmore East in New York City, they were amazing. http://www.steviehill.com/images/fillmoreresized.jpg

Suggest reading the sections below, in blue. See below link for e-book:

'Brainwashing Manual Parallels in Scientology', a.k.a. 'Revisiting the Textbook on Psycho-politics' http://www.xenu-directory.net/critics/ambry1.html

Contents

Examining the 'Brainwashing Manual' http://warrior.xenu.ca/Brainwashing-front.jpg with the purpose of better understanding Scientology 4

Introduction: A Brief Outline of Scientology Doctrine, Public and Confidential 6

"White Scientology" - The Battle Tactics Doctrine - Brainwashing Manual Tech - Scientology is Multi-layered - Exploiting the Positives: the Cheese in the Trap -

Background 9

Origin of the word "brainwashing." and of the "Russian Brainwashing Manual"
L. Ron Hubbard writing to Scientologists on the subject of the Brainwashing Manual
Departing briefly from the Manual: A look at private tactics later shared with insiders
A publicized statement
A private explanation
Hubbard vs. the "Asiatic Hordes"
Back to the Brainwashing Manual: Excerpts from Hubbard's third public statement on it
Kenneth Goff's 1956 version of the Manual
Scientology's "No-answer answers."

Excerpts from the Brainwashing Manual/Textbook on Psycho-politics 14

"Editorial Note": Hubbard. assuming the guise of the phantasmal "Charles Stickley"
"An Address by Beria": Hubbard, pretending to be Lavrenti Beria, chief of the Russian Secret Police
The Main Text of the Manual: Hubbard, masquerading as an arrogant Russain Brainwashing expert
"Pain-Drug-Hypnosis"

The Layers of The "Scientological Onion" http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105 17

Brainwashing Manual Parallels in Modern Scientology 19

Correspondences between the Brainwashing Manual and the Battle Tactics policy
On “Survival”
On Surviving the Atomic Bomb
On an individual Scientologist influencing leaders
Scientology is devious by design

Front Groups - Layer Zero of the “Scientological Onion” 20

“It is not necessary that the term ‘Communism’ [Scientology] be applied at first…”

Layer One - The publicized portion of Scientology 23

“White Scientology”
Scenario: (An application of “White Scientology”)
“By reason alone”
Auditing

Descending into Layer Two of the “Onion”: The “In-Organization” Strata 27

“…[Scientology] under the guise of [‘White Scientology’]…”
Exploitation of the process of abreaction
Playing one thing off another or “counter-playing”
“Loaded language”: the seemingly enlightened “counter-played” with the manipulative
Tone 4, “entheta,” “theta,” Suppressive Person
The Thought Limiting clichés of Scientology
Publicized, “In-organization” and Confidential Scientology “Ethics”
“…aligning the individual against the desire not to conform…”
Side effects of “critical thoughts”
Dominion over the loyalties of individuals

Layer Three of the “Onion”: The Confidential “Upper Levels” of the “Bridge to Total Freedom” 33

“…avoid the understanding of the layman…”
Highest of the “upper levels” must remain a mystery to the membership
Operating Thetan or O.T.
Aleister Crowley, Head of the O.T.O.
O.T. III, The “Wall of Fire” into which Hubbard “took the plunge” to save Mankind
Exploitation of the paranormal

Layer Four: “…a well trained individual who serves in complete obedience…”
The Sea Organization, the Rehabilitation Project Force, and the Five Card System 36

The Sea Organization: “Custodians of the O.T. Levels”
“…the only loyalty which should exist… is to the State [Scientology].”
Sea Org Ethics under Commodore Hubbard on the Flagship
“Refusal to let them sleep over many days…”
The Rehabilitation Project Force
“Filthy food, little sleep, nearly untenable quarters…”
“…the first loyalty [to himself]… is destroyed…”
“Degradation and conquest…”
The children’s and teenagers’ RPF
“A certain amount of fear…”
The RPF’s RPF
The Five Card “Team Share” System
“The technologies of psycho-politics…”

Layer Five: Confidential Scientology Policy and Tech for “handling” uncooperative outsiders 46

The Fair Game policy and “philosophy”
“…find or manufacture enough threat…”
“Direct the attention of the authorities…”
Scientology’s unscrupulous use of the legal system
“We will no longer put up with our religion being criticized…”
Discourage inquiry
Defamatory data on file; “Culling”: Searching “religious confessional” (auditing) files for embarrassing or intimidating items
Background: The Commodore’s Intelligence Network
The policy of covert attack and publicized PR “defense lines”
Scientology’s Multi-layered Public Relations tech
Scientology Intelligence tech
Data collecting, and Attack or “support” Intelligence
Creating incidents that reflect badly on others
“Data needed by Ops on each located who”
Attack or “support” Intelligence - The Covert Ops study course and checklist
“Persons in his vicinity to whom he is emotionally involved…”
Coerce them into signing prepared “retractions” or “confessions”
Plenty of bogus “documentation”
One justification for unscrupulous covert methods
Treatment of VIPs and celebrities
Goal of talking over “mental health” and “political guidance”
Full knowledge of Intelligence tech must be denied to the general membership
“Deception, chicanery, lying, manipulation and outright criminality”
“She over there, those pink legs sticking out, didn’t like me”
Scientologists believe in a planet-wide conspiracy against L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology
The Scientology Hierarchy

Layer Six: The Core of the “Scientological Onion” 69

“…virtually a pathological liar…egotism… lust for power, and vindictiveness…”
“We must be like the vine upon the tree…”
The elusive “1000 page” official L. Ron Hubbard biography
“It’s a trap not being able to prevaricate”
Conscience as an “impediment”
The L. Ron Hubbard Fan(atic) club

Epilogue 74
Freeing the Positives

Addendum 76

"Dr. Hubbard's" FBI letters written concurrent with the appearance of the Brainwashing Manual 77

L. Ron Hubbard assumes the identity of Dr. Hubbard Ph.D DD - Patriotic Concerned Citizen
Letter of 29 July 1955
From a letter dated 7 September

A further look at Scientology's Covert Intelligence Tech 79

"Categories of Data Needing Coding"
A glimpse at a covert operation, and of public strata "policy" used as a cover for applied covert policy
An example of public strata "policy" used as "cover" - this time used on Scientologists by Scientology
"Ops Planning"
What to "Vet" or delete from sensitive internal messages that may be scrutinized by outsiders

Bibliography 82

Notes 87

L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman?, 2nd edition:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0942637577/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-0654802-4263319

And it even has a happy ending:

Epilogue
Freeing the Positives

"....Examining and 'sorting out' the subject would be worthwhile task. Doing so would not only educate as to the details of its dominant 'dark side', but would also make possible the freeing of what good may be found within it.

"Amazingly, the true positives of the subject can stand alone, and need not be sullied by any of this. Empirical truth and good ideas are funny that way."

So, adcian, post some more, and hold stready and communicate. You have firends here who want to understand your message.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
He definitely had a sadistic streak, as is clearly visible in the infamous peanut incident.

""He could be capable of incredible cruelty. On the ship there was an old man on the Royal Scotman who he made push a peanut round the decks with his nose. He had to get down on his hands and knees, he had to go round the deck, quite a long distance in a race with one or two others also in trouble. The first one back got let off and the last one got a double penalty. It was really tough on this old guy, Charlie Reisdorf. The surface of the deck was very rough wood, prone to splinter, so after pushing peanuts with their noses, they all had raw, bleeding noses, leaving a trail of blood behind them. I not only saw it but the entire crew of the ship was mustered - a mandatory attendance - we were required to watch this punishment, to make an example of it for the rest of us. Reisdorf was in his late 50s probably. His two daughters were messengers, they were 11 or 12 at time and his wife was there also. It was hard to say which was worse to watch: this old guy with a bleeding nose or his wife and kids sobbing and crying at being forced to watch this. Hubbard was standing there calling the shots, yelling, "Faster, Faster!". It was indignity, degradation and breaking a person's will, and making people watch. It was disgusting."

Source here > http://www.spaink.net/cos/mpoulter/worst/lockers.html