What's new

Hubbard's recurring theme from Excalibur to Dianetics to Scientology to OT levels

Gib

Crusader
There are those that believe explaining the trap of of dianetics or scientology cannot be explained by using Hubbard, and one must venture outside hubbard's idea's using psychology or current think or ideas. I somewhat believe this, but I also think revealing Hubbard's idea's from another point of view can help, and that is from the POV that he was a writer, IMHO.

I believe these two concepts are part of the woof and warp idiom of scientology.

1. Hubbard explained the "mystery sandwich" in the tech dictionary, and he says "the principle of mystery is, of course, this: the only way anybody gets stuck to anything is by a mystery sandwich."

bold by Hubbard and not me in the above quote.

2. Hubbard also mentions in a lecture that stories need to have a weenie and that means the thing everybody is after in a story plot or movie. Nowadays it might be referred to as cliffhanger.

So how do those two concepts play out from Excalibur to OT 8 and beyond?

In the very beginning, b/4 dianetics, Hubbard said he wrote a book called Excalibur, and the mystery, that he told publishers was that people who read it went insane and jumped out of windows because he revealed in writing and thru his discoveries the secrets of life.

Gib

Crusader
The next fella that fell into Hubbard's mystery sandwich was John Campbell.

PS, of course we don't know of any people that jumped out of windows from reading Hubbard's Excalibur. Hubbard was pretty good at not mentioning actual facts.

Francois Tremblay

Patron with Honors
2. Hubbard also mentions in a lecture that stories need to have a weenie and that means the thing everybody is after in a story plot or movie. Nowadays it might be referred to as cliffhanger.

No, a cliffhanger is an episode of a show that ends on a dramatic note that remains unresolved until the next.

I think you're thinking of a MacGuffin.

George Layton

Silver Meritorious Patron
There are those that believe explaining the trap of of dianetics or scientology cannot be explained by using Hubbard, and one must venture outside hubbard's idea's using psychology or current think or ideas. I somewhat believe this, but I also think revealing Hubbard's idea's from another point of view can help, and that is from the POV that he was a writer, IMHO.

I believe these two concepts are part of the woof and warp idiom of scientology.

1. Hubbard explained the "mystery sandwich" in the tech dictionary, and he says "the principle of mystery is, of course, this: the only way anybody gets stuck to anything is by a mystery sandwich."

In the very beginning, b/4 dianetics, Hubbard said he wrote a book called Excalibur, and the mystery, that he told publishers was that people who read it went insane and jumped out of windows because he revealed in writing and thru his discoveries the secrets of life.

Life must have some pretty dark secrets if, after having them revealed to you, you want to jump out a window.

Gib

Crusader
The mystery sandwich and the weenie would be called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory nowadays or of a similar idea.

Hubbard turns government agency as well as the free press investigation into his claims of Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health

into a conspiracy, and turns those investigations into the weenie, the thing everybody is after, the so called powerful tech he has discovered into a conspiracy to stop him from communicating any further, whereas in fact those agencies during the 1950's were trying to warn the public of his unfounded discoveries.

Hubbard had the foresight and knowledge of religious freedom and speech, got to give him credit for that. For what did he do, but record every lecture (speech) he ever gave, to be sold to members of his "crowd", his members, those that he convinced, and some for a long time, shoot, I listened to his lectures from the 1950's and fell for his trap, his woof & warp, and I got involved in 1987.

Gib

Crusader
I recall staring at the Grade Chart, the Bridge to Total Freedom, at my local org, the chart hanging on the wall everywhere throughout the building, and saying to myself, as a rookie, wow, I want to go "clear" and then "OT", look at all those abilities to be had. It was overwhelming, or majestic, or awe inspiring and even sublime you might say.

http://www.whatisscientology.org/html/Part02/Chp06/pg0181_1.html

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
No, a cliffhanger is an episode of a show that ends on a dramatic note that remains unresolved until the next. piece of bullshit prevaricated "fact" Hubbard inserts into the mystery vacumn black hole trap your mind is set up for just waiting to have the answer. Typical conman technigue

Fixed it for ya

Gib

Crusader
No, a cliffhanger is an episode of a show that ends on a dramatic note that remains unresolved until the next.

In the beginning of Dianetics history, why two people reading that book could clear themselves, and become clear with all the attributes delineated in that book. Somehow that didn't happen.

The very last line of the book dianetics is the statement "better build a bridge".

That's a cliffhanger. no?

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Some wonderfully clarifying info on weenies, MacGuffins and other plot devices, from Wiki:

In fiction, a MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin or maguffin) is a plot device in the form of some goal, desired object, or other motivator that the protagonist pursues, often with little or no narrative explanation.

The specific nature of a MacGuffin is typically unimportant to the overall plot. The most common type of MacGuffin is a person, place, or thing (such as money or an object of value). Other more abstract types include victory, glory, survival, power, love, or some unexplained driving force.

The MacGuffin technique is common in films, especially thrillers. Usually the MacGuffin is the central focus of the film in the first act, and thereafter declines in importance. It may reappear at the climax of the story but sometimes is actually forgotten by the end of the story. Multiple MacGuffins are sometimes derisively identified as plot coupons.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP]

As noted by Marjory Ward, "the use of a MacGuffin as a plot device far predates this modern nickname. For example, the Holy Grail of Arthurian Legend could be considered an early MacGuffin, doing for the plot all that a good MacGuffin should do".[SUP][3]

[/SUP]

Objects that serve as MacGuffins are familiar in narrative fiction. For example, a small statuette provides both the eponymoustitle and the motive for intrigue in The Maltese Falcon. The name "MacGuffin" was coined by the English screenwriter Angus MacPhail,[SUP][4][/SUP] although it was popularised by Alfred Hitchcock in the 1930s, but the concept pre-dates the term. The World War I–era actress Pearl White used weenie to identify whatever object (a roll of film, a rare coin, expensive diamonds, etc.) impelled the heroes, and often the villains as well, to pursue each other through the convoluted plots of The Perils of Pauline and the other silent film serials in which she starred.[SUP][5]
[/SUP]

Alfred Hitchcock, The director and producer Alfred Hitchcock popularized the term "MacGuffin" and the technique with his 1935 film The 39 Steps, an early example of the concept.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] Hitchcock explained the term "MacGuffin" in a 1939 lecture at Columbia Universityin New York:

It might be a Scottish name, taken from a story about two men on a train. One man says, "What's that package up there in the baggage rack?" And the other answers, "Oh, that's a MacGuffin". The first one asks, "What's a MacGuffin?" "Well," the other man says, "it's an apparatus for trapping lions in the Scottish Highlands." The first man says, "But there are no lions in the Scottish Highlands," and the other one answers, "Well then, that's no MacGuffin!" So you see that a MacGuffin is actually nothing at all.

Interviewed in 1966 by François Truffaut, Hitchcock explained the term "MacGuffin" using the same story.[SUP][8][/SUP][SUP][9] [/SUP]Hitchcock's term "MacGuffin" helped him to assert that his films were in fact not what they appeared to be on the surface.

From some other web sources, I also found some clarifying and I think interesting info on Hitchcock's use and meaning of "MacGuffin":

The first person to use the word MacGuffin as a word for a plot device was Alfred Hitchcock. He borrowed it from an old shaggy dog story in which some passengers on a train interrogate a fellow passenger carrying a large, strange-looking package. The fellow says the package contains a "MacGuffin," which, he explains, is used to catch tigers in the Scottish Highlands. When the group protests that there are no tigers in the Highlands, the passenger replies, "Well, then, this must not be a MacGuffin." Hitchcock apparently appreciated the way the mysterious package holds the audience's attention and builds suspense. He recognized that an audience anticipating a solution to a mystery will continue to follow the story even if the initial interest-grabber turns out to be irrelevant.

shaggy–dog

Of, relating to, or being a long-drawn-out circumstantial story concerning an inconsequential happening that impresses the teller as humorous or interesting but the hearer as boring and pointless; also: of, relating to, or being a similar humorous
story whose humor lies in the pointlessness or irrelevance of the plot or punch line.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
In the beginning of Dianetics history, why two people reading that book could clear themselves, and become clear with all the attributes delineated in that book. Somehow that didn't happen.

The very last line of the book dianetics is the statement "better build a bridge".

That's a cliffhanger. no?

It's actually "build a better bridge". Slightly different meaning.

arcxcauseblows

Patron Meritorious
Yes!

Hubbard drew from his storytelling techniques

He used rhetoric and literary devices as much as pop psychology and cult techniques

Games, dichotomies, recapitulation, plot twists, foreshadow

This is why Scientology has appeal

The weenie is the mysterious world view of an immortal thetan fighting ancient alien civilizations, obtaining freedom self determinism, secrets, etc

Also the reason there is never any answer or specifics given on any big religious questions

God? Vague definitions oh it's infinity or finish the next level it's too hard to understand

Origins, incident 1 some vague bs about chariots

End goal is "Target 2" lol

Unfolding excuse after excuse why nobody is OT

Ending with the joke of impending alien invasions and being the anti christ

Problem is the secrets are out and the web of lies is being pulled apart slowly and it's empty

GE cmdr

Patron with Honors
Was it ever proven one way or another that there even was an Excalibur? All the hype and crap through the years and im still not sure if it even existed.

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
Got a bridge to sell? Sell it like Lucy...

[video=youtube;q2Z264w9_2Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Z264w9_2Q[/video]

(Search YouTube for the whole skit. She gets soused on the stuff.)

:p

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Was it ever proven one way or another that there even was an Excalibur? All the hype and crap through the years and im still not sure if it even existed.

Seems to have been a draft at one time but a lot of variously swirling stories went in different directions after that and the "trail of evidence became cold".

Having read whatever is online about "Excalibur", I reached the conclusion:

--it's simply an early draft of DMSMH

--Hubbard (as is always the case in his published "scripture" and sci-fi) simply made up imaginary, but authentic sounding, "science" and then went out afterwards and sought to sell it as reality.

--Using his own "standard tech", Hubbard dreamed up the most outrageously hyperbolic marketing campaign to compel interest by prospective publishers. It wasn't enough that the book's contents had helpful information in it--Hubbard was compelled to claim cosmic insight and people dying were were exposed to the sacred truths that he had discovered. They were jumping off skyscrapers, remember?

--When nobody was interested in publishing it, Hubbard dropped back and made another run at it later when he got his good friend (who published a well-distributed pulp magazine) to run his Dianetics story in "ASTOUNDING FICTION". That's kinda desperate for a scientific breakthrough that was as great (or better than) FIRE and the WHEEL--as Hubbard claimed in DMSMH.

--From the 1930s through his death in 1986 Hubbard's body of work was built upon a sensational succession of breathtaking cosmic discoveries. These are the milestones of his hoax--each desperately attempting to outdo and dwarf the previous. Clear was not good enough--it had to be beaten by a 1967 "WALL OF FIRE" that went back to a now-tweaked "Excalibur" model and tried it again. To wit, the divine revelation of OT III (or "Scientific Discovery", depending on what day Hubbard was describing it) was nothing more than an Excaliburesque pitch for a "sideshow" in an intergalactic carnival.

Fields.jpg

The "freak" everyone paid to go inside and take a look at was "XENU" and the "hook" of the story is that if you didn't do it right, just reading about it or seeing the materials behind the curtain would cause INSANITY & DEATH. Kindly that INSANITY and DEATH (by suicide) is exactly what prospective EXCALIBUR readers were grimly warned about!

GE cmdr

Patron with Honors
--it's simply an early draft of DMSMH

That is all i ever thought it to be. There was too much bullshit that didn't make sense connected to it. I think people forget that it was written before dianetics, so all the stuff included in and after dianetics did not exist yet. So there was no way there was super top sekrit OT crazy inducing data in there.

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron

That was something I doubted even when I was "in" -- but yes, it does seem to have existed. A few people claim to have seen it. Gerry Armstrong claims he read it. It was greatly over-hyped, as everything in scn is. No one really jumped out the window after reading it, I'm sure. Just more of Hubbard's b.s.

Gerry Armstrong I find pretty convincing and I've seen him say he read it in a video on youtube. I'm not going to go looking for the video right now, but it's out there somewhere. Hubbard also referred to Excalibur as "The One Command," in his Admissions, for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_(L._Ron_Hubbard)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmations_(L._Ron_Hubbard)

There's also something in Ron's Org called "Excalibur" which Captain Bill claims to have channeled from Elron Elray, what Captain Bill imagined Excalibur was like. About this work I know little, but having seen some of CBR's other ravings, I can guess.