What's new

Hubbard's recurring theme from Excalibur to Dianetics to Scientology to OT levels

JustSheila

Crusader
Here's part of Excalibur. We've read the same BS elsewhere:

It began with an operation—I took gas as an anesthetic and while under the influence of it my heart must have stopped beating, as in my terror I knew I was slipping through the Curtain and into the land of shades. It was like sliding helter-skelter down into a vortex of scarlet and it was knowing that one was dying and that the process of dying was far from pleasant.

For a long time after I knew that “Death is eight inches below life.”

It was terrible work, climbing up out of the cone again, for something did not want to let me back through the wall, and then, when I willed my going, I determined it against all opposition.

And something began to cry out, “Don’t let him know!” and then fainter, “Don’t let him know.”

Though badly shaken I was quite rational when I was restored. The people around me looked frightened—more frightened than I. I was not thinking about what I had been through nearly so much as what I knew. I had not yet fully returned to life. I was still in contact with something. And in that state I remained for some days, all the while puzzling over what I knew. It was clear that if I could but remember I would have the secret of life. This in itself was enough to drive one mad, so illusive was that just-beyond-reach information. And then one morning, just as I awoke, it came to me. I climbed out of my tall ship’s bunk and made my way to my typewriter. I began to hammer out that secret and when I had written ten thousand words, then I knew even more clearly. I destroyed the ten thousand and began to write again.
http://www.ronthephilosopher.org/phlspher/page06.htm

:laugh: What a bunch of bunk!

Yeh, Excalibur was described as an excessively verbose combination of Science of Survival and The Dynamics of Life.

[FONT=&amp]Nevertheless, with the eventual development of Dianetics, all that is essentially [/FONT]Excalibur[FONT=&amp] was made public and, in fact, may be found in [/FONT]Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health[FONT=&amp] and [/FONT]The Dynamics of Life[FONT=&amp].[/FONT] [FONT=&amp] ...

[/FONT]
...Excalibur[FONT=&amp] is Ron’s revelatory statement on [/FONT]survive[FONT=&amp] as the single common denominator of existence. That all life forms are attempting to survive is, of course, a known datum. [/FONT]

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&ie=UTF-8#q=excalibur and science of survival

It's kind of hard to think of adding more unnecessary, repetitive gobbledygoop than what he wrote in those two books, but somehow, Ron managed to again outdo himself in meaningless, endless gibberish. Excalibur was supposedly huge, an absolutely monstrous manuscript. Alas, poor Ron couldn't find anyone who wanted to publish it. :melodramatic:

Then he discovered vanity publishing, and even better, self-publishing to his own controlled followers and making it mandatory to buy his books. Heh. Why sell one big book when you could sell two little ones? And so El con did whatever it took to call himself a famous writer, and instead of Excalibur, we got the self-published two books above through his cultic printing presses.

All these decades later, still not a single Clear. Excalibur wasn't all that, after all. :hysterical:

Gib

Crusader
That was something I doubted even when I was "in" -- but yes, it does seem to have existed. A few people claim to have seen it. Gerry Armstrong claims he read it. It was greatly over-hyped, as everything in scn is. No one really jumped out the window after reading it, I'm sure. Just more of Hubbard's b.s.

Gerry Armstrong I find pretty convincing and I've seen him say he read it in a video on youtube. I'm not going to go looking for the video right now, but it's out there somewhere. Hubbard also referred to Excalibur as "The One Command," in his Admissions, for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_(L._Ron_Hubbard)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmations_(L._Ron_Hubbard)

There's also something in Ron's Org called "Excalibur" which Captain Bill claims to have channeled from Elron Elray, what Captain Bill imagined Excalibur was like. About this work I know little, but having seen some of CBR's other ravings, I can guess.

Holy Cow Pineapple, in reading the first link we find under references #5 this write-up or investigation by somebody over at the lermanet.com website, maybe by Arnie:

http://www.lermanet.com/excalibur/

I never read that before. Here's what interesting and holy cow for me, I read the hubbard/heinlein letters from 1949 in which hubbard tells heinlein of some books that he hisself thought revolutionary, and sure enough one of those books is by [FONT=&amp]Gustave Le Bon,

[/FONT]
Here's my posts from last year:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...sicientology&p=1058062&viewfull=1#post1058062

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...sicientology&p=1058623&viewfull=1#post1058623

Here's what was posted on Arnie website as the beginning:

[FONT=&amp]"PROLOGUE:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Gustave Le Bon 1841-1931 is most likely source for Excalibur[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Author of "The Psychology of Crowds" French edition 1895[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"THE CROWD" -- English Edition Macmillan and Co 1896[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Republished by Viking press New York 1960[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Paperback edition 1969[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]---[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp](Perhaps a related book) THE PSYCHOLOGY OF SUGGESTION by Boris Sidis 1898 New York, D Appleton and co.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Brief teaser:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Gustave Le Bon, founder of social psychology Father of collective behavior theory, THE CROWD gives the basic principles of manipulating crowds into servile flocks, a "group mind" concept.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"I have heard that Lenin, Hitler, Stalin, [Mussolini] and deGaulle were at one time or another, all close students of Le Bon's work.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]THE CROWD has probably had as much practical influence on modern political behavior as any single document, including THE PRINCE"[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]p-353[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]An inside, aside:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"Imagine my delight in finding the dynamic duo of the rules of mayhem merged in one sentence, married to one concept and under the umbrella of Lenin, Hitler, and Stalin. I sez to me, "This is the stuff of EXCALIBUR." "This is the inspirational, practical, and spiritual, "source" of "Excalibur".[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]THE CROWD, the bible of "brainwashing", is the technical handbook of manipulative persuasion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"Outcomes of persuasion center on the stimulation of beliefs, attitudes, opinions and actions that run on a scale from "no response" to "conversion", passing through points of limited modification and shifts in dispositions, as well as the introduction of the wedge of doubt, a critically important result of crowd persuasion in certain instances.""[/FONT]

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
Arthur J. Burks's recollection of reading Excalibur in 1938, from The Aberree, Dec. 1961:

I'M GOING to try to tell something of "Excalibur" - as much as I remember, without having the manuscript by me. If its author, L. Ron Hubbard, told me the truth, I am the first person to read "Excalibur". If it is true that the first half dozen who read it went crazy, then I've been crazy for a long time and I just haven't gotten caught at it. There is some question as to whether there was such a manuscript, but I assure you there was, and probably still is, somewhere. It was a source of considerable disappointment to Ron Hubbard that he didn't get it published.
http://www.xenu.net/archive/oca/burks.html

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Holy Cow Pineapple, in reading the first link we find under references #5 this write-up or investigation by somebody over at the lermanet.com website, maybe by Arnie:

http://www.lermanet.com/excalibur/

I never read that before. Here's what interesting and holy cow for me, I read the hubbard/heinlein letters from 1949 in which hubbard tells heinlein of some books that he hisself thought revolutionary, and sure enough one of those books is by [FONT=&amp]Gustave Le Bon,

[/FONT]
Here's my posts from last year:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...sicientology&p=1058062&viewfull=1#post1058062

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...sicientology&p=1058623&viewfull=1#post1058623

Here's what was posted on Arnie website as the beginning:

[FONT=&amp]"PROLOGUE:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Gustave Le Bon 1841-1931 is most likely source for Excalibur[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Author of "The Psychology of Crowds" French edition 1895[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"THE CROWD" -- English Edition Macmillan and Co 1896[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Republished by Viking press New York 1960[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Paperback edition 1969[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]---[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp](Perhaps a related book) THE PSYCHOLOGY OF SUGGESTION by Boris Sidis 1898 New York, D Appleton and co.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Brief teaser:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Gustave Le Bon, founder of social psychology Father of collective behavior theory, THE CROWD gives the basic principles of manipulating crowds into servile flocks, a "group mind" concept.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"I have heard that Lenin, Hitler, Stalin, [Mussolini] and deGaulle were at one time or another, all close students of Le Bon's work.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]THE CROWD has probably had as much practical influence on modern political behavior as any single document, including THE PRINCE"[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]p-353[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]An inside, aside:[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"Imagine my delight in finding the dynamic duo of the rules of mayhem merged in one sentence, married to one concept and under the umbrella of Lenin, Hitler, and Stalin. I sez to me, "This is the stuff of EXCALIBUR." "This is the inspirational, practical, and spiritual, "source" of "Excalibur".[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]THE CROWD, the bible of "brainwashing", is the technical handbook of manipulative persuasion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"Outcomes of persuasion center on the stimulation of beliefs, attitudes, opinions and actions that run on a scale from "no response" to "conversion", passing through points of limited modification and shifts in dispositions, as well as the introduction of the wedge of doubt, a critically important result of crowd persuasion in certain instances.""[/FONT]

:thumbsup::yes::clap:

Gib,

I didn't know that Arnie had referenced Le Bon's works on his Website...Thank you.

Here's the first Post I made re: Gustave Le Bon 6.5 years ago in 2010--a few months after I first Posted on ESMB...

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-L-Ron-Hubbard&p=455463&viewfull=1#post455463

Here is my "Narrative" that I reference in that Post...

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-L-Ron-Hubbard&p=455450&viewfull=1#post455450

Here's a few more Posts I made re: Le Bon in '11, '12 and '13.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...amp-Narcissism&p=576525&viewfull=1#post576525

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?27133-Lord-of-the-Flies&p=750545&viewfull=1#post750545

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...and-the-H-word&p=778382&viewfull=1#post778382

Le Bon's works may be obscure and "archaic" to most of the "Boomer" and subsequent generations but, Le Bon was a brilliant man and "Thought Leader" for his generation through to El Ron's generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Le_Bon

Unfortunately, I did not encounter Le Bon's works until around 30 years ago--after I'd walked away from the SO and was beginning to walk away from Scn. Le Bon's works was one of the "Signposts" that guided me out of Scns seductive, circuitous, booby-trapped and stultifying Thought Labyrinth.

Face:)

EDIT PS: The the Hubbard/Heinlein Correspondence is a fascinating, unvarnished and revelatory read.

Last edited:

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
<snip>

Le Bon's works may be obscure and "archaic" to most of the "Boomer" and subsequent generations but, Le Bon was a brilliant man and "Thought Leader" for his generation through to El Ron's generation.

. . .

Unfortunately, I did not encounter Le Bon's works until around 30 years ago--after I'd walked away from the SO and was beginning to walk away from Scn. Le Bon's works was one of the "Signposts" that guided me out of Scns seductive, circuitous, booby-trapped and stultifying Thought Labyrinth.

EDIT PS: The the Hubbard/Heinlein Correspondence is a fascinating, unvarnished and revelatory read.
Wow Face, just a beautiful post. I'm gonna look into Le Bon's book and revisit some of your previous posts, now that some time has passed.

You and Gib are intellectual giants compared to me, whose main skill and reputation is from doing funny "shoops" on ESMB :coolwink:

I hope I can keep up! :yes:

Thanks much both of you!

arcxcauseblows

Patron Meritorious
It's a sci Fi story that's empty like a movie set with props and suspension of disbelief

Operating thetans!

Ideal orgs!

Golden age!

Changing conditions all over the world!

A million auditing hours!

Twenty thousand packets of the way to happiness!

Yeah Excalibur was so valuable the Russians stole it and did what with it? Laugh? Russia doesn't want Scientology they shut their doors

So powerful he couldn't remember it or write it again!

Problem is scientologists suspend their disbelief because they can't confront the world

So they live in a bubble pretending they're...

The fastest growing religion in the world!

Knocking out psychiatry and big pharma!

What's hilarious is the only thing they could brag about they have to hide from the members

We have accumulated 3 billion dollars!!

Let's make 30k copies of their tax returns and mail it to every scientologist left on earth lol letters out equals income!

Pay them back for the landfill I have created with the junk mail they send me

Gib

Crusader
Wow Face, just a beautiful post. I'm gonna look into Le Bon's book and revisit some of your previous posts, now that some time has passed.

You and Gib are intellectual giants compared to me, whose main skill and reputation is from doing funny "shoops" on ESMB :coolwink:

Thanks much both of you!

thanks, but, I'm no intellectual giant, I'm just a Joe Friday, just trying to report some facts, a CSI type person. Just as you are in your shoops, which are brilliant.

Gib

Crusader
The recurring theme,

although this post is out of sequence from my timeline that I will reveal, but HH post on KTL tread is true, depending on one's involvement. In the beginning of KTL/LOC release, why it was confidential, mystery sandwich, no public could just buy the books and I assume no SO staff at the time could read the book, you had to be paid in full from a public point of view, to read the KTL grammer book.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...-this-course&p=1130643&viewfull=1#post1130643

" It's Confidential. LOL (In God's name, what for?)"

To answer your question HH, because to create want, a mystery to drag one along.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks much both of you!

IL2K

You're very kind and, coming from you, that's quite a compliment.:blush:

However, au contrair, mon ami...In reality I see myself as pretty much a Gump with too much time on his hands and access to a thesaurus. :coolwink:

As Gib said, you're Shoops are brilliant and say more in one composed image and a few words than a number folks have in an entire book. You've also, IMHO, put up some of the bestest Posts I've read on ESMB that, with an economy of words, are accurate, insightful and helpful "Takes" re: the various topics at hand of some of ESMB's most important Threads. :yes:

PS: I must admit I've always wanted to be an intellectual but, after much reading and 7 decades of living, I've realized that that is not to be, and I'm thankful and grateful to they that are.

Gib

Crusader
If I fast forward from Hubbard's recurring theme of mystery, why does one know that on OT7 solo auditing, why one has to get a safe, and it has to be safe, real safe like no other safe, the safe has to be anchored and glued into the building foundation. It has to be robber proof. There are HCOB's on this. Why does one OT7 need this safe, to protect a mere human from reading a OT7's solo auditing worksheets or notes of the solo auditing session.

I love it & LOL when I see Marvel Super Hero's mock-ups of similar scenes that Hubbard created in our minds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HjHG8InQ-8

In the minds of these OT7's is created the secrets of the universe that should not be allowed in the hands of mere humans, and every OT7 sign a legal document, a bond, that says they will never talk about it. And a OT7 does conditions big time if any chance of the safe or secret might be leaked, LOL

Gib

Crusader
There are those that believe explaining the trap of of dianetics or scientology cannot be explained by using Hubbard, and one must venture outside hubbard's idea's using psychology or current think or ideas. I somewhat believe this, but I also think revealing Hubbard's idea's from another point of view can help, and that is from the POV that he was a writer, IMHO.

I believe these two concepts are part of the woof and warp idiom of scientology.

1. Hubbard explained the "mystery sandwich" in the tech dictionary, and he says "the principle of mystery is, of course, this: the only way anybody gets stuck to anything is by a mystery sandwich."

bold by Hubbard and not me in the above quote.

2. Hubbard also mentions in a lecture that stories need to have a weenie and that means the thing everybody is after in a story plot or movie. Nowadays it might be referred to as cliffhanger.

So how do those two concepts play out from Excalibur to OT 8 and beyond?

In the very beginning, b/4 dianetics, Hubbard said he wrote a book called Excalibur, and the mystery, that he told publishers was that people who read it went insane and jumped out of windows because he revealed in writing and thru his discoveries the secrets of life.

I forgot to mention in my original post the weenie was first "clear", then later Hubbard added and just a few short years after dianetics is scientology or "OT" weenie, obtaining the state of OT.

Gib

Crusader

as you, Francois and HH point out, a snip from the link:

"To determine if a thing is a MacGuffin:
  • Is the nature of the item interchangeable? If it is an object of great value there is little difference between a diamond, priceless painting or exotic statue, the quest surrounding it would differ only trivially. The plans surrounding its theft would be largely the same, the mission to transport it to a specific place would be largely the same, the investigation to locate it would be the same, etc. Imagine when reading the script, replace the name of the item and ask if the story is all that different.
  • Is the nature of the item irrelevant to the plot? All MacGuffin's have some extraordinary value, whether it be monetary, prestige, historical significance, supernatural power or forgotten knowledge. These things are often, but not always, explained in detail within the story so that the audience understands the desire. But these elements are not vital to build the plot, any usefulness from having the item is either nonexistent (often due to No MacGuffin, No Winner) or relegated to the coda of the story and the plot and the desire for the item is over."

What was in that Hubbard said in numerous places, scientology is priceless. I believe he mentions something of a similar nature in the PTS/SP tech. I'm sure there are other places as well, maybe the reg hat policies.

of course clear and OT are priceless, lol.

All of hubbard's lectures (stories) are explaining in detail his so called discovery of the mind, the secret that all others failed at. I just LOL when I think about how I believed this nut bag, Dr Hubbard.

Gib

Crusader
Mystery sandwich:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?33-OPENING-PANDORA-S-BOX-Part-One

"
According to Edith Hamilton in Mythology the source of all misfortune was Pandora's curiosity.

"The gods presented her with a box into which each had put something harmful, and forbade her ever to open it.

Then they sent her to Epimetheus, who took her gladly although Prometheus had warned him never to accept anything from Zeus.

He took her, and afterward when that dangerous thing, a woman, was his, he understood how good his brother's advice had been.

For Pandora, like all women, was possessed of a lively curiosity. She had to know what was in the box.

One day she lifted the lid - and out flew plagues innumerable, sorrow and mischief for mankind.

In terror Pandora clapped the lid down, but too late. One good thing, however, was there - was Hope.

It was the only good the casket had held among the many evils, and it remains to this day mankind's sole comfort in misfortune."

Yep, that explains scientology and how one got suckered in.

Last edited:

phenomanon

Canyon
Was it ever proven one way or another that there even was an Excalibur? All the hype and crap through the years and im still not sure if it even existed.

He sez somewhere that there's nothing in "Excalibur" that isn't in his HCOBs and HCO P/Ls

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
Packaged nicely; notice the familiar triangular theme...

box-of-bullshit.jpg

:winner: