What's new

Hubbard's uncle plants the seeds?

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Do you think LRH's uncle Elbert planted the seeds?

Here is his famous missive A MESSAGE TO GARCIA
written by Elbert Hubbard February 22, 1899

http://www.freeenterpriseland.com/GARCIA.html

L. Ron Hubbard read out in its entirety, and greatly praised, A Message to Garcia, at his Special Course in Human Evaluation in mid 1951.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbert_Hubbard#cite_note-special_course-3

And some famous quotes:

"Responsibility is the price of freedom."
"Men are not punished for their sins, but by them."
"The Supernatural is the natural not yet understood."
"An ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness."
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."
"A failure is a man who has blundered but is not able to cash in on the experience."
"Life is just one damned thing after another."
"Never explain—your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway."
"To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive."
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."
“Health Must be Earned. Get it—you Lobster!”[1]
"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man."[2]
"The object of teaching a child is to enable him to get along without a teacher."
"We preserve our sanity only as we forget self in service."
"What we call diseases are merely symptoms of mental conditions."
"You can lead a boy to college, but you can't make him think."
"Theology: An attempt to explain a subject by men who do not understand it. The intent is not to tell the truth but to satisfy the questioner."
"Religions are many and diverse, but reason and goodness are one."
"If men could only know each other, they would neither idolize nor hate."
"We awaken in others the same attitude of mind we hold toward them."
“He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.”
"The love we give away is the only love we keep ."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbert_Hubbard#cite_note-special_course-3

L. Ron Hubbard was born in 1911 in Tilden, Nebraska to Ledora May Hubbard (née Waterbury) and Harry Ross Hubbard. Harry Hubbard had been born Henry August Wilson in Fayette, Iowa, but had been orphaned as an infant and adopted by the Hubbards, a farming family from Fredericksburg, Iowa; and so the founder of the Roycrofters Elbert Hubbard a Rosicrucian and the author of A Message to Garcia would become L. Ron Hubbard's uncle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
One of the early editions of Modern Science was dedicated to Elbert Hubbard.

Ron's dad was adopted by the Hubbards. There is no genetic link.

Zinj

No, and 4 years wouldn't have been much time for a direct influence, but having someone famous and successful nearby in your family can expose you, as a child, to a lot of information about what seems the right way to be and win.

If that (the utopian arts and crafts movement in the style of Elbert Hubbard) was the kind of thing LRH was exposed to as a youngster, well it just fits in real nice with the rest of the puzzle.

The puzzle being: just who is this yo-yo who gave me some wins and some gains and some knowledge and then turned me into a frightened, limited and self-doubting mess for 20 some years?

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
No, and 4 years wouldn't have been much time for a direct influence, but having someone famous and successful nearby in your family can expose you, as a child, to a lot of information about what seems the right way to be and win.

If that (the utopian arts and crafts movement in the style of Elbert Hubbard) was the kind of thing LRH was exposed to as a youngster, well it just fits in real nice with the rest of the puzzle.

The puzzle being: just who is this yo-yo who gave me some wins and some gains and some knowledge and then turned me into a frightened, limited and self-doubting mess for 20 some years?

That's what I was thinking.

Even this one quote is loaded:
"What we call diseases are merely symptoms of mental conditions."

Ladybird

Silver Meritorious Patron
I recall that in 2000-2001 the "Message to Garcia" was published by Bridge and released as some amazing discovery about Ron's past. We all had to read it and star-rate it at Gold.

Does anyone else remember this?

Thalkirst

Patron with Honors
Yes, the local SO unit also republished it in Hungary and it was given out to all OT Committee members and anyone working on fundraising. The ED Budapest read it out lout in entirety on one of the local Int events, before the videos...

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I recall that in 2000-2001 the "Message to Garcia" was published by Bridge and released as some amazing discovery about Ron's past. We all had to read it and star-rate it at Gold.

Does anyone else remember this?

I was out of the SO by then, but I recall being briefed a couple of times on the Message to Garcia somewhere around 1990 or so. It was supposed to be inspiring, to make us more make-it-go-rightful.

Paul