The Unbreakable Miss Lovely by Tony Ortega

Blown for Good by Marc Headley

The Church of Fear by John Sweeney

Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige

My Billion Year Contract by Nancy Many

The Complex by John Duignan

Bare-faced Messiah by Russell Miller

L Ron Hubbard: Messiah or Madman? by Bent Corydon

Now, having so many books to choose from might present a daunting challenge to a new-comer, so please allow me to suggest that you start at the beginning.

This one is free:

The Scandal of Scientology by Paulette Cooper
http:www.clambake.org/archive/books/tsos/sos.html

Finally, you should know that these books are strictly forbidden by Scientology to be read, or even discussed in casual conversation.
They contain information which Scientology does not want known, and has gone to extraordinary and illegal lengths to prevent being made public.

Good reading.

Hypatia

Pagan
Hey all!

Obviously still new to this site - I joined a couple of months ago after lurking for a long while and think this message board is amazing. I've never been involved in Scientology but had a friend who was lured into an off-shoot of it two years ago and I've been reading about it ever since - some pretty scary stuff.

I've got a million questions I'd love to ask you guys but I really don't want to offend or have any of my curiosities dredge up old wounds for anybody. And I'm not really sure where to post my questions on this site so I thought I'd start here. I'll simply ask one for now, and if you guys think this is inappropriate or too personal, I'll gladly stop and be content just to lurk. Here goes:

With all of the negative information that's out there about Scientology (this board, both the book and movie to Going Clear, and tons of other resources), why do you think people stay? Is it out of fear of losing their families and friends? Is it fear of retaliation from the church? Or do you think people are so blissfully ignorant as to how the rest of the world operates and don't know there are so many opportunities out there to discover? Are the people who stay truly happy with their lot in life?

Any of those.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
There are various levels of involvement and abuse. A new public will be handled more gently, especially if they are professional and have money. Mission staff are not under as much direct control from the upper militant echelons. Class IV non-Sea Org orgs are in the middle. Sea Org service orgs and other Sea Org management units are in the eye of the storm.

Much of the extreme abuse that people hear about pertains to Sea Org staff. But public get another kind of abuse with scamming, bait and switch, hard core regging (sales bullying), up to getting locked away like Lisa McPherson for psychotic episodes.

So there are a lot of variables effecting each person's respective bubble. The bubble begins almost immediately. I imagine with the development of Anonymous as a factor, there is a diligent effort at all levels to screen for people who are trying to get on-lines for other reasons such as spying, investigation, community activism, etc. Expect questionnaires and interrogations about who you are associated with, what you have heard and read. etc. Quickly a new Scientologist learns that if they are going to stay out of the Ethics Officer's office and not spend all their time doing amends and getting Security Checks on the e-meter, that they will avoid second guessing the program and exposure to outside negative influences of all kinds, especially on the internet.

By necessity Scientologists become isolated from opposing views and learn to defend Scientology. Even failing to defend Scientology can be interpreted as a transgression.

The whole program is carefully designed to provide positive results up front which will keep a person involved long enough to construct the bubble. Once the bubble is in place it can be very effective until the abuse reaches the point of popping. Scientology and the supporting programs were developed in a time of relative simplistic exchange and access of information. These techniques for motivating people to self isolate were effective because people weren't already informed about Scientology and they were not accustomed to the freedom of internet access. It is probably becoming increasingly more difficult to find "uncontaminated" raw public who are willing to accept limitations to their use of the internet, especially affluent public. And it is probably becoming more difficult for existing Scientologists to avoid contamination by same. Either the bubble must be reinforced or the church must relax their position.

The problem is that the church's position is not defensible when all the facts are known. It started with lies by LRH even before there was Dianetics and it has been built on lie upon lie ever since. The truth really only started being broadly available sometime between 2000 - 2008 and it is now spreading like wild fire.

This is an eclectic subject but it is vitally important to the public and families. Young people are a key target for indoctrination because they do not understand the importance of their most productive years for securing their future and helping their families and their experiential history is still malleable enough to manipulate. Once a young person has started down this road they may not get off it until they have squandered valuable opportunities.

A fundamental component of this bubble is camaraderie. Whether you are on course or on staff you create relationships, respect and loyalties that cause you to dismiss the obvious irrationalities much like we do with family and friends. This isn't so unusual, at least up to a point. Unless we want to be hermits we overlook other people's quirks as a natural part of life. These loyalties can last a lifetime especially when they are formed when you are college age. There are people right here right now that I have spoken to, worked all night with and passed in halls for years going back to the 70s. We have just 2-3 degrees of separation and a whole lot in common.

OSA trolls notwithstanding, we are now just happily on the other side of the bubble.

guRl

Patron with Honors
^^^This post by TheOrginialBigBlue is very helpful and comprehensive :thumbsup:
As a never-in who's been in touch with a couple of both Scientologists and Exes in the past year, it really rings very true.
From my experiences/conversations with them, it seems that they only know those "bits" of the truth that are allegedly relevant to their "position"- the Public would not be aware what the staffer is going through, the staffer would not be totally aware of what the Sea Org member is going through, and of course, the three of them would not care to share this with each other. Moreover, it seems that pretty much every Scientologist has something to hide, be it an experience (CoS related or not) or an opinion (ditto). The choice to share it with another person depends on the position said person fulfills - is he a non-Scientologist? Is he a fellow Public? Staffer? Senior position? Sea Org? Fellow staffer etc. Not to mention the differing lifestyle between those types.

I think one of the most important things I learned about it recently, is that each and every Scientologist is partially aware of some portion of some of the problems - constant regging, abusive conditions, contradictory information - and think to herself "Well yeah, there are some problems, and maybe I even disagree with some stuff, but this is the best group/community/church to be in, and whatever needs to be solved will be solved within the system. We're here to help, we do wonderful things for our society, we gain amazing 'wins', so really, wanting to complain to outsiders about the happenings in our group is betrayal".

Add to that the very effective thought control, the immense pressure, the fear of disconnection- TheOriginalBigBlue mentioned the camaraderie and this really is a powerful factor. And I can tell you that from the area I come from, there are barely Scios that joined the Church by their lonesome, the Church here is comprised mainly of families! Just imagine how all the more harder it would be to distance yourself from such a bubble environment when your entire family is in and strongly connected to other family units.

When taking all of this into account, I can't help but feel that everytime a person does leave Scientology, this is nothing short of amazing :yes: