What's new

I got in and out in Boston

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors
Hey Free,
I'm enjoying the story! :drama:
I especially love stories from Boston org as I was there for 7 years.
One day I was there answering the phones on Reception and heard
a blood-curdling scream come from the Purif area downstairs.
I couldn't run down there as I had calls coming in, so had to wait to find out what was going on.
When someone went down to investigate, one of our public (Lois Orlando) who was on the Purif was standing on top of the bench in the sauna.
She had seen a little mouse and apparently didn't like mice so much. ;)
From the scream, one would think that Xenu himself had walked in on her.

You sure it was a mouse? The roaches in the sauna were bigger than the mice. :)

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
For the best roach story ever, see my story: :wink2:

OK, I went and read the roach story, and you're not lying, it was a great story, as was your entire post. For anyone who already hasn't read it, you should definitely go check it out.

freethinker

Sponsor
The Purif

The Purif in the boston org is located in the basement. It has been "renovated" since I was in there. It was 2 small rooms. No one while I was on it liked to use the back one. There were rats that showed up every now and then. It's part of living in the Back Bay in Boston. One time a rat died in the wall. The stench is horrible and lasted for better than 2 months. The shower stall was so bad I wouldn't use it. Thought I mightr get incurrable athletes foot.

My first week on the purif was pretty uneventful. Just a lot of sweat and interesting conversation. There were five others on the purif. I was the only smoker so running, even though it was along the Charles river up to the Esplanade and back, wasn't what i wanted to do after 9 hrs on my feet in a machine shop.

Then, over the weekend, I got sick. I had a fever of 103. i called the org to tell them I wouldn't be in. This was not to be had. I argued with Rick Hickey on the phone for at least an hour. He wanted me to come in. I thought he was crazy. He said it was something turning on and it should be run out in the purif. I told him that I was sick and that when I got better, then I would be back in. This really pissed Rick off. I didn't care. He tried to goad me with the chickening out statement from the purif issues. I said as far as I'm concerned I'm sick and that's all and hung up.

Surprisingly, I didn't get daily barrages of phone calls asking for progress reports. Then again I might have taken my phone off the hook after three of them. I had a fever so I'm not sure. I believe I was out a week.

When I got back to the org i of course couldn't go back on the Purif. Instead I needed interviews at my expense. More lists and a long dissertation from Rick on how I should have come back in and gotten in the "box" as it was called because now I had to start all over again. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to smack Rick for being such a condescending a**hole. He must have been beaten up alot when he was a kid.

I go back in the box. Another two weeks of nothing but sweat. Now rick is down there every day to ask me what's happening. Making me take salt. "Anything turn on?" The first week I think I only saw him once. Now he was pushing me through the purif. Standard tech?

To add to the difficulties with my schedule, on Friday and Saturday nights, Elaine and keith would stop me as i was leaving and bring me into the ethics office to reg me for staff till 3 in the morning or later. It was explained that it was pro survival to do that as being a staff member was so valuable. Apparently results on the Purif were second fiddle. After 3 or 4 weeks of this, I'm not sure how many times, I signed a contract just to get some sleep. I signed it in red pen thinking that it might be legally invalid unless it was in black. I never found that out.

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors
At one point I was assigned to handle the roach problem in the Boston sauna. There weren't necessarily a lot of them, but there were some HUGE ones.

Spraying toxic chemicals in a sauna designed to remove toxins from a person's body wasn't the ideal scene, but was occasionally done and followed up with multiple thorough wash downs. This kept the general population in check, but those big ones hid out somewhere deep and dark.

So one night after everyone left, I removed all the benches, went into the sauna with a hammer and sat there waiting.

A hammer??? I don't know why a hammer. Probably the worst possible weapon for the job, but I guess it felt like that kind of battle.

Eventually, after maybe a half an hour, I see movement in the corner. Yes, the beast awakens! I wait for him to come out into the open. Realize that although the benches are out, the framework for the benches is permanent, so it's like fighting inside a jungle gym. Eventually, he's in range. I attack, and of course miss. He retreats behind a 2x4 of the frame. I dive under the frame swinging wildly and screaming, hoping to christ he doesn't fall on me.

He makes it back to safety.

I begin my second vigil. It takes a while, but eventually he ventures out again.

To make a long story (mostly consisting of waiting, with occasional spurts of hammer swinging and screaming) short, he kept coming back out after longer and longer intervals, and eventually I was able to disable him and therefore eventually deliver the death blow. I left victorious that night.

Of course, he was replaced within a week.

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors
At one point I was assigned to handle the roach problem in the Boston sauna. There weren't necessarily a lot of them, but there were some HUGE ones.

Spraying toxic chemicals in a sauna designed to remove toxins from a person's body wasn't the ideal scene, but was occasionally done and followed up with multiple thorough wash downs. This kept the general population in check, but those big ones hid out somewhere deep and dark.

So one night after everyone left, I removed all the benches, went into the sauna with a hammer and sat there waiting.

A hammer??? I don't know why a hammer. Probably the worst possible weapon for the job, but I guess it felt like that kind of battle.

Eventually, after maybe a half an hour, I see movement in the corner. Yes, the beast awakens! I wait for him to come out into the open. Realize that although the benches are out, the framework for the benches is permanent, so it's like fighting inside a jungle gym. Eventually, he's in range. I attack, and of course miss. He retreats behind a 2x4 of the frame. I dive under the frame swinging wildly and screaming, hoping to christ he doesn't fall on me.

I begin my second vigil. It takes a while, but eventually he ventures out again.

To make a long story (mostly consisting of waiting, with occasional spurts of hammer swinging and screaming) short, he kept coming back out after longer and longer intervals, and eventually I was able to disable him and therefore eventually deliver the death blow. I left victorious that night.

Replaced? Hmmmmmm.
He must have been A to J.
I wonder if the next one had to sign a billion year contract.

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS

LOL!

I worked up on the 4th floor (GO/OSA) and the roaches were everywhere, crawling on the desks/floor/walls.

I bought some boric acid and spread it everywhere. We didn't see any roaches for at least 6 months, at which time I repeated the action of spreading the boric acid. Worked like a charm.

freethinker

Sponsor
you went Through all that just to get one! Later, the roach problem became the mouse problem. When you have roaches you don't have mice. When you have mice you don't have roaches. Just the way it is. I was down at Flag in 1993 as an outer org trainee. I had breakfast with the crew in a shack that was in the field where the SP building is now. I saw a Palmetto bug about three inches long scurry across the floor. It was disgusting. Then I saw an SO member bump into an RPF woman who was eating. Then he started berating the shit out of her for it when it was clearly his fault. I thought WTF!!!! Where am I?

freethinker

Sponsor
You sure it was a mouse? The roaches in the sauna were bigger than the mice. :)

I never met Lois. But I knew Lynn her sister. Lynn later joined the SO and went to Bridge. She married a Chinese guy last I heard. I really had the hots for her but she only wanted SO qualed. So sad.

freethinker

Sponsor
After sixty three days on the purif and nothing happening, I was routed to Qual for a Purif correction list. The only thing that came up was the difficulty with my schedule. Up at 5 AM in bed at midnight. Four or 4:30 AM if a FRI or SAT night. But of course it was my responsability to make it all work. I was to handle being accosted when I got out of the box for various Reg cycles.

Went back in the box for three days and nothing. Sent to ethics for PTS handling that apparently should have been done after I got sick but wasn't. I didn't know that as i hadn't had PTS/SP tech. So i got a PTS CS1. It was interesting. Then the handling. Keith asks me all about the people I work with amnd family members. i tell him my family knows what I'm doing but don't say anything about it. I get hassled at work but that's because my friend stirred things up before he left. Keith zeros in on that. i tell him they don't know I'm in Scientology. He asks me what i'm doing to cause antagonism. I explain what happened with my friend leaving. He gives me the Good Roads Good Weather tech. OK.

Go back in the box a few more days. Nothing. Get pulled out. More drilling on GRGW. Back in the box. Nothing.

Keith tells me to come in early the next day. get plenty of rest. I'm sent to Qual and given a list of references to read. Claen Hands, OW, Resposability etc. Then I'm told to do an OW write up. I don't want to.Paul Coleman the Qual Sec has me in a room for an hour or more trying to convince me that it is what I should do. Then he turns me over to Joe Stover who spends another 45 mins on me. Then Elaine pulls me in a room and does Murder Routine on me for another 1/2 hour. Then down to Keith who says I just have to do it. It was lunch time so he told me to come back after lunch. I walked out the door, went to my car and drove home.

i didn't anwer the phone for a week. i knew who was calling.

Eventually, I knew i had to answer the phone. I did. It was keith. I told him i didn't want to do an OW write-up. He said Don't worry about it, just come in.

I went in and he said I had to read something. It was Policies on Physical Healing, Insanity and Sources of Trouble. When I finished reading Keith said I fit into a couple of categories. I said That's it. He said Yeah. And I walked and went home. i was a member of the A-J family.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
you went Through all that just to get one! Later, the roach problem became the mouse problem. When you have roaches you don't have mice. When you have mice you don't have roaches. Just the way it is.

In the early 80's we did have a "mice problem" but then we got a cat who kind of adopted us, very cool cat, and mouse hunter extraordinaire. She quickly handled the mice problem. Maybe she was the WHO responsible for creation of the roach problem? :ohmy:

freethinker

Sponsor
there's more

I don't remember how long i was out of the org, maybe 4-6 mos. In the begining I would get calls from Keith asking me how I was doing and if I still thought about Scientology. I told him I did. Then one day I got a call from, I think it was Fran Mckay first, to come in and do renos. Fran was the number one SP on my case who considered herself Ron's right hand woman. She was a complete squirell who stole session sheets out of her own folder to avoid ethics actions when she went to Flag. Flag loved her. I loathed her.I don't mind saying that because I am sure she will never end up here as a member. But I'm sure she reads it. F**k you Fran.:angry:

So I think, did I read that policy letter correctly? Why am I being called into the org. I was kicked out.I said sure!

I'd get off work, go home and eat,drive 26 miles to the org down the Mass Pike and do renos. I liked doing renos and I wanted to make up for all the trouble I had caused. Wasn't even looking to be invited back permanently. But, even though i didn't then know what an amends project was. I was doing one.

I installed flooring, did carpentry and a lot of painting. The boston org has zillions of pipes hanging from the ceiling. The idea was to hide them. thjis was accomplished by painting the ceiling dark or black down just below the pipe level and then a light color the rest of the way down.

This went on for weeks. I would stay till one or two in the morning. Stan Booth was in charge of the renos. At the time he was the Flag Rep in Boston till he went to ASHO where he probably still is.

i remember one day we were walking down Beacon St. We passed a college dorm. Just inside the doors was a pool table where the frat boys would play with the doors open. Stan told me he used to go in there and hustle em for money for the week so he could eat. Stan was an interesting character.

one night i came down the stairs and Bobby Jones, the HES at the time, stopped me. He indicated with his finger to follow him. I did. He sat down behind a desk. He said "You know your not supposed to be here" I said 'I know" He said "What are you doing here?" I said "People keep calling me in to do renos" he told me to wait there and he came back with a folder. He asked if I agreed with the issue. I said "What issue?". He handed me a peice of paper and I read it and he asked me again. i told him I didn't. To my surprise he said he didn't either, tore it up and threw it in the waste basket.

Maureen O'keefe: If you are reading this as an OSA op that's what happened to the first Source Of Trouble Declare. Bobby Jones tore it up. Witch!:moon:

Had to do that.

I was undeclared. Just like that. Renos got me out of a few situations.

Never did do an OW writeip the whole time I was in Scientology. Got a shitload of commendations though. When I went to Flag in 93 as an outer org trainee, ethics is one of your first stops. When they looked in my folder there were 4 KR's and about twenty commendations. They couldn't believe it. Some how, when I was routing out my ethics folder was lost.:confused2:

Now i had to do the Div 6 lineup. Success through communications and Personal integrity course. When i got to the OW writeup part, I didn't do it. Elaine had me in a room for an hour of murder routine. Then it was rewalized that the purif stats were down. i had to go back in the box.

This time i agreed to take time off from work. Not at first, but after another 2 1/2 weeks.

The purif went much better when I took the time off. I ran something out at 5000 mgs Niacin. Didn't recognize it though. Thought it might have been general anasthesia. Wasn't sure.Rick put on the pressure again. Then I said I was probably done , but wasn't sure.

During my last week on the Purif, I decided to write a report to RTC for a non standard Purif. Mostly on Rick. But also the org. Rick actually sent it up for me. Even after reading it. I didn't think he would.

Now the pressure came on to honor my contract. Damn. I told Elaine that I couldn't give up my job. I twas clearly apparent that staff didn 't make much money. I had no idea how little. Many times no pay. Too many.

When I first started I was put on the Course Admin post. After I was on it a short while a mission showed up at the org. It was from RTC. The entire exec level of the org was assigned TREASON. In fact, because i was new on staff, I was the only one who was not in lower conditions. This meant I was the only one who could accept someone back into the group. There I was, a few weeks on staff and reading liability formulas and signing them:ohmy: I later found out, about three years later I overheard Heather, the ED tell the story to someone else, when RTC came to the org. It was because of the non-standard purif report that I had written. So it was totally apprpriate that it was me that was accepting members back into the group:yes:

i was also the one who took the mission orders to Fed EX that removed Heather from post and put Gerard Renna on. I nicknamed him the Samurai ED. I was shocked 4 years later when he announced in a staff meeting "That's why they call me the Samurai ED":omg: At that time i was all mystified about OT and he was an OT VIII.:sp:

myrklix

Patron with Honors
Freethinker, thanks for your stories, having been a public in both Boston Day & Fdn on and off from the early 80's to mid-90's.

Not being a smoker I must say that I enjoyed the jogging along the Charles R. The Esplanade has always been a favorite place in Boston -- I still often ride my bike there. But my best memory of the purif was the reading I did. I read the entire Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov. What a fabulous series. There were even two more books to the series that I read after finishing my sweating. I don't recall any roaches/mice/rats while in the box. Could be I never took my eyes off those novels.

Ah, Fran Macay... I think she & I got into Scn on the same day and were in basic course room together. Geez, I remember her morphing from this shy, withdrawn person to, to... to who she became. She was married to Stan Booth for a while. Never did get him. I remember a couple of unpleasant cycles with him. Did he EVER smile???

What about Vince Whelton? About 10 years ago I'd often run into him having coffee at a sidewalk cafe before going into the org. I was well off lines at that point but he was pleasant to me anyway. I remember once he was bullbaiting someone next to me while I must have been doing TR-0 in the room outside the academy. So he pulls out his entire set of false teeth! I nearly wet my pants. But I digress...thanks for the stories.

freethinker

Sponsor
When I was on the Course Admin post I was on part time basis. It got to be difficult driving that many hours a dayand all the work hours.

At first I was compiling course packs. This consisted of a hard plastic blue folder and I would put issues according to the checksheet inside. They were pretty crappy. The issues wouldn't fit nicely and not all issues were available because there wasn't; and probably still isn't, a functioning mimeo. In those days you had to scrape for what you could find and the student had to go to the OEC or Tech Vols to find what was missing.

Such poor conditions. I remember one time watching The D of T staple a button that had fallen off his jacket back on. He then started talking about how when people were PTS there MEST started falling apart. I just looked at him. The academy had these filing cabinets that where painted Fire Engine red. Why? I never knew. But it was the first thing that hit you when you entered the academy. That and the array of mismatched bookshelves, the worn out carpet, the missing parque peices in the floor, the over used dictionaries with missing pages and cafeteria style tables. The clay table was a formica job that was only fifteen inches off the floor. When I first started, they had reel to reel tape machines,but they were phasing in the new cassette players. There were only three. Only one worked well. When I was on my Student Hat and got to the tapes, I brought in a Walkman and convinced Tony to let me use it because all the other cassette players were always in use.

The basic Courseroom was pretty shabby as well. The public division had all mismatched furniture and there was one personality test that was used as a master to photo copy new ones. In all the time i was on staff the org went through several photocopiers. the staff would abuse the crap out of them because no one would read the manuals. You'd go to use the copier and there would inevitably be paper jammed in the machine.

After ten months i couldn't take part time staff and full time machining. I routed off staff. a while later i was reged for some auditing. When I had finished the auditing; or there abouts; I was on my way out one night and was corraled by about 8 staff. They wanted me to re-join staff and go out for the Key to Life evolution. i told them I couldn't do that because I couldn't give up my job. Then I was told it would only take three weeks and that this was going to make the orgs SH size and I wouldn't have to worry about my job. I could live off staff pay because attaining SH size was a reality now. The Key to Life was the launching point to guarantee that this would happen. I fell for it.