What's new

I no longer suffer because of Scientology or Scientologists. I am enlightened.

Will Fry

Patron
Hello there. If you don't know me, youtube has some videos of me talking about my youth in the cult. But before you read this, know that I do not believe myself to be of any actual importance.

It has been many months since I've posted on this site. I've forgotten the password for my first account (willhaven720). I mostly goof off on the internet as an escape, and don't feel that side of me would be appropriate here.

I still don't believe myself to be a role model. And as I've always said "If you don't want them to turn out like me -- don't give your kids to Scientology!"

I have however, made a very, very significant breakthrough with regard to my personal well-being. And I believe that it is important for me to share this with ex-Scientologists who seek inner-peace.

I will try to keep it simple.

Suffering is the non-acceptance of what is.

Pain is unavoidable in life. But suffering is a choice we are always given. Weather that suffering be from slow moving traffic or the loss of a loved one, there is always a choice to resist or accept it.

Accepting reality (not suffering), requires awareness of one's own ego. This can be particularly difficult for someone who has been in Scientology.

I have spent the last few years attempting to undo the damage that was done to me in Scientology. This has finally come to fruition. Here is an example of what I mean...

I am grateful to the following people:

L Ron Hubbard. My stepfather (Scientologist). David Miscavige. The Sea Org members who managed me when I was in the Sea Org. Anyone involved in my fair-game. Childhood bullies. Girlfriends who have cheated on me.

And what do they all have in common? Quite simply, they have all been a source of suffering in my life.

So why would I be grateful to them all of a sudden?? Because it is my suffering that has pushed me to find the REAL way to happiness.

This is not a joke...

I am grateful. And I suffer no more... For ANY reason.

If we look at the history of life on this planet, we see that suffering is the driving force behind almost all evolution. A fish suffers for lack of food or fear of predators in the water and evolves to be able to survive on land. Similar stories can be told of birds, bugs, flowers, primates, bacteria, etc...

Humans suffer too much. It's time for us to evolve. If we don't, there may not be humans for much longer. Which, in reality (key word), isn't a big deal. We are not the center of universe. I just believe our beauty as artists is worth fighting for the survival of all. Also, Earth is beautiful and should stay that way if possible.

The question is 'how?'

The answer is 'now'.

This is covered at great length by Eckhart Tolle in a book called 'The Power of Now'.

You can read it. But I actually recommended listening to him do so. So get it on itunes or whatever. The reason being is that we (ex-Scientologists), have a particularly troubled history on the subjects of the mind, self-help, spirituality, and so forth. I personally feel that listening to the author helps to keep our subconscious from associating the content of this book as "something else" (*wink*).

Do not expect instant results. Just get what you can out of the book and go on living your life.

You probably need to give yourself more time to suffer. And suffer. And suffer... As most do, and will forever.

But perhaps one day you will suffer enough (without killing yourself lol). And that day could be pleasantly transformational... if you accept all things and stop bullshitting yourself about what is and is not real.

Good luck.

Wow that was like opposite of Orientation. I am so awesome at being awesome.

Will Fry

Patron
Thanks Will - I'm glad you're getting past the *insert any ego-driven human endeavor*-think!

:thumbsup:

Cult... No cult... It matters not.

The problem was not Scientology. The problem was me. And will always be.

Though the human condition can never be erased, it CAN be observed. And to the degree in which you do this honestly and accurately, you will rise above the effects of unconscious thought.

I feel unbelievably lucky to be able to demonstrate this concept at age 30. And then I observe myself "feeling lucky" and realize it's just more ego-imposed noise. Which helps me return to the present moment. And then the real fun begins.

real fun > feeling lucky

Vinaire

Sponsor
Hello there. If you don't know me, youtube has some videos of me talking about my youth in the cult. But before you read this, know that I do not believe myself to be of any actual importance.

It has been many months since I've posted on this site. I've forgotten the password for my first account (willhaven720). I mostly goof off on the internet as an escape, and don't feel that side of me would be appropriate here.

I still don't believe myself to be a role model. And as I've always said "If you don't want them to turn out like me -- don't give your kids to Scientology!"

I have however, made a very, very significant breakthrough with regard to my personal well-being. And I believe that it is important for me to share this with ex-Scientologists who seek inner-peace.

Pain is unavoidable in life. But suffering is a choice we are always given. Weather that suffering be from slow moving traffic or the loss of a loved one, there is always a choice to resist or accept it.

Accepting reality (not suffering), requires awareness of one's own ego. This can be particularly difficult for someone who has been in Scientology.

I have spent the last few years attempting to undo the damage that was done to me in Scientology. This has finally come to fruition. Here is an example of what I mean...

L Ron Hubbard. My stepfather (Scientologist). David Miscavige. The Sea Org members who managed me when I was in the Sea Org. Anyone involved in my fair-game. Childhood bullies. Girlfriends who have cheated on me.

And what do they all have in common? Quite simply, they have all been a source of suffering in my life.

So why would I be grateful to them all of a sudden?? Because it is my suffering that has pushed me to find the REAL way to happiness.

This is not a joke...

If we look at the history of life on this planet, we see that suffering is the driving force behind almost all evolution. A fish suffers for lack of food or fear of predators in the water and evolves to be able to survive on land. Similar stories can be told of birds, bugs, flowers, primates, bacteria, etc...

Humans suffer too much. It's time for us to evolve. If we don't, there may not be humans for much longer. Which, in reality (key word), isn't a big deal. We are not the center of universe. I just believe our beauty as artists is worth fighting for the survival of all. Also, Earth is beautiful and should stay that way if possible.

The question is 'how?'

The answer is 'now'.

This is covered at great length by Eckhart Tolle in a book called 'The Power of Now'.

You can read it. But I actually recommended listening to him do so. So get it on itunes or whatever. The reason being is that we (ex-Scientologists), have a particularly troubled history on the subjects of the mind, self-help, spirituality, and so forth. I personally feel that listening to the author helps to keep our subconscious from associating the content of this book as "something else" (*wink*).

Do not expect instant results. Just get what you can out of the book and go on living your life.

You probably need to give yourself more time to suffer. And suffer. And suffer... As most do, and will forever.

But perhaps one day you will suffer enough (without killing yourself lol). And that day could be pleasantly transformational... if you accept all things and stop bullshitting yourself about what is and is not real.

Good luck.

Excellent! I understand where you are coming from. :)

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm really happy for you, Will. I remember when you were "discovered" posting on that board, coming out to your mates about being an ex. And I watched you with great interest and affection as you spoke out at protests and at the Feb 2010 press conference.

You are indeed awesome at being awesome. You always were.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I'm really happy for you, Will. I remember when you were "discovered" posting on that board, coming out to your mates about being an ex. And I watched you with great interest and affection as you spoke out at protests and at the Feb 2010 press conference.

You are indeed awesome at being awesome. You always were.

I second that. :)

guanoloco

As-Wased

This is not a joke...

The question is 'how?'

The answer is 'now'.

Good luck.

Panda recently tipped me off to Tolle but I have yet to get any material.

However, much of your post resonates with David Hawkins' "Power vs Force" series.

Hands down some of the best material I've come across.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Hey Will! It's really nice to see you here.

I read Tolle a few years ago and I swear I learned more about myself in the first 3 paragraphs of "The Power of Now" than I ever learned in Scientology.

I still use the techniques to "shut myself up" when the noise gets overpowering.

I really get where you are coming from and I wish you all the best.

MostlyLurker

Patron Meritorious
Wow,
you scared me by writing about "end of sufferings ..." :ohmy:

I'm very very happy you found your way out in Tolle's teachings! :happydance:

change

Patron
I am curious, Will. Did your Dad leave the SO, run a little sandwich shop in Larchmont village for awhile? Did he have a voice that sounded much like LRH's that was used to dub-in on the taped lectures?

Will Fry

Patron
Hey Will! It's really nice to see you here.

I read Tolle a few years ago and I swear I learned more about myself in the first 3 paragraphs of "The Power of Now" than I ever learned in Scientology.

I still use the techniques to "shut myself up" when the noise gets overpowering.

I really get where you are coming from and I wish you all the best.

:)

If left unchecked, I can suffer in "being a bad ex-scientologist", having not contributed much to this community. But actually, it's nice to see you too. ;)

My ex was the one who turned me on to Tolle. This was a little over two years ago. And at that point, I had already been fascinated with the subject of the ego. Mostly because of my passion and research into poker strategy. Which helped me awaken from Scientology a few years before that point. But Tolle had demonstrated this on another level completely. And like you, I learned more in one page than anything I ever read of Hubbard's.

I also would use it to "shut myself up" (hehe). But mostly, I would use it to flex my own ego in observing the ego of others... Just as many do in the psychiatric/mental health field. And the same way Scientologists will feel superior for being "homo novis" in "knowing the truth", no matter how little Scientology they have actually studied.

Regardless of what I THOUGHT (key key key word) of Tolle's enlightened state and doctrine, I wouldn't actually let myself embrace this topic as a whole. This is probably the case with more than 99% of individuals who study it. Perfect examples being Jim Carrey and Oprah. You can clearly see them suffering while discussing it. But I'm not judging them. In fact, I admire them for any progress they have made on the subject. I cannot imagine being so rich and famous and NOT turning out like Charlie Sheen or Tom Cruise. The ego has no limit, and demonstrates this factor quite well in Hollywood.

So yeah, I went on suffering (by choice). It's been about 2 weeks since I stopped.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Hiya Will, awesome OP! You're a good man, dontcha ever forget it!

On Tolle, though I find that he recycles a lot of universal ideas, a few years ago I read one of his articles ( he regularly contribute to a few local free mags here) regarding what it takes for one to become content, it was excellent and I have a tonne of respect for him and his brand of woo.

Cheers man, and :carryon:

Will Fry

Patron
I am curious, Will. Did your Dad leave the SO, run a little sandwich shop in Larchmont village for awhile? Did he have a voice that sounded much like LRH's that was used to dub-in on the taped lectures?

No. Doesn't sound like anyone I know of.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Suffering occurs when a person is compulsively attached to their ego. Reduction of the ego helps, as does practicing the ability to detach from it.

Dilettante

Patron Meritorious
Great post. Right off the bat! Nice work.

Reminds me of the Dalai Lama's heed;
“In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.”

I do like how you put it.

Dil