What's new

I reckon most of us lot are real. What do you reckon?

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
I met my wife in a chatroom on the internet quite by accident and in a 30 second window of never meeting. Something else I attribute to God besides the exit from SCN. If I am not who I really am online I feel she wouldn't have stuck with me this long. I love her and my children above all else. My web presence sometimes is to hide from SCN, but with those I trust, it is all me and all that I am.

I read what people say. I sometimes disagree with them in some way. As as a result of them consistently presenting the same views I sometimes *decide* I dislke them or have no respect for them. I probably say what I think more immediately on the net than I would to co-workers. If I upset my co-workers it could cause a lot more problems than it would here. And with co-workers anything that is said that is perceived as "negative" or as a personal criticism has a lot of other conversation "around" it. So it may be a lot more difficult to know what problems have been caused by what I, or someone else has said. On the net, the words are still right there, the next day. So we have the luxury of doing a "review". Once or twice someone has said somthing to me here, and I've gotten pissed off, only to come back the next day and re-read it, realizing that the intent was quite friendly.
So, I guess I delay my respones in the "real" world. I sometimes realize that I have something I want to say, but have to wait until a better time to say it. Usually, I will find an opportunity to say what I think in an accaptable way.
I have been told by my co-workers that I say what I think - (as a compliment).
I have been reprimanded by our Dorm Monitor, Sneakster recently for breaking the rules here when I was not nice to Terril. If I broke the rules, then I broke the rules. I can stomach the Dorm Monitor putting me in my place.:D
The part that gives me indigestion is when the onlookers rant on about "politeness" (Don't get me wrong, in the *real world* I am more polite than most - rather charming actually:p:). I don't think people should be impolite here, but I would far rather hear about how well people can argue, how astute they are, than how polite they are. That's for sissies! Might go to Wales for a little holiday.

Illegal Alien

Patron with Honors
For sure!!!!
The internet allows an openness from the get go. Telling it like it is is refreshing and therapeutic. The social barriers are not there.
I met my wife via the internet and we each threw all our cards on the table and as a result of this when we finally met months later it was as if we had been together all our lives.
In my opinion meeting people from this board in person, cements a very solid friendship. :cheers:
I for one am very happy to be here and this board has acted as my therapeutic couch and a comfortable one at that. :thumbsup:

supafreak

Patron Meritorious
I'm pretty much "what you see is what you get", but to my shame, I find it's much easier to be rude to someone on the net than in real life.

Good twin

Floater
I honestly think Good twin is smarter and funnier than me. She is definitely hotter. :coolwink:

That being said, I'm pretty certain that the folks I get along with here would be pretty tolerable IRL as well. Those of you I have met have been even more wonderful in person. I can't even begin to imagine how awesome Alanzo or Fluffy or Paul or Zinj or Ax or Brian or Mac or the Australians or any of you guys I haven't yet met must be. :blush:

Carmel, I'm certain you are right. These guys here on ESMB are most likely the realest synthetic personalities you could ever run across. :yes:

HappyGirl

Gold Meritorious Patron
...I can't even begin to imagine how awesome Alanzo or Fluffy or Paul or Zinj or Ax or Brian or Mac or HG or the Australians or any of you guys I haven't yet met must be...
I've edited your post (see bolded above), and invite you to visit Australia with me in 2013. :D (Since this is Carmel's thread, I feel free to jack it, knowing in advance she will forgive me.) :)

Good twin

Floater
I've edited your post (see bolded above), and invite you to visit Australia with me in 2013. :D (Since this is Carmel's thread, I feel free to jack it, knowing in advance she will forgive me.) :)

OMG Happy Girl. I just feel like we've already met. You are right though, we must make plans. :love8:

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
Carm.

What a great thread! I have to say that although I have shared small parts of my story to a very few of my friends, I have never opened up myself to them as I do with all of you here. I value the love and support I have found here and wouldn't have been able to talk to anyone about it if it had not been for all the wonerfull people I have found here.

Thanks and Love

Bob

Terril park

Sponsor
I thought Mick was Welsh? (UM stirs the shitstorm)

Hey, Terril, when are you SPs going to allow the Welsh language to be spoken in public again?

I believe much legislation has been made to legalislate pro actively on that.

Many moons ago, on holiday around Snowdon, in a local pub it was the only language spoken. Sounded beautiful!

smartone

My Own Boss
Which IS the real you? - The one on the net, the one who people meet face to face, or both?

I'm much MORE myself online than I am in real life. I really am happy to be part of this group on ESMB. Michael Pattinson recommended you guys to me and he wasn't wrong. :thumbsup:

I have a tendency to be a bit of a loner - of my own choosing. If I find myself in a group of people, I tend to be the quiet one. The listener. That's why I enjoy you all here because I can read to my heart's content and comment when I feel like it.

What really floats my boat in real life is having one-on-one conversations with intelligent people. I learn a lot from them and they are so fascinating. I'm really not great at small talk. Find it too boring. Give me deep-seated discussions any time. Another reason I like you guys on ESMB. :happydance:

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've had to think about this since I saw it yesterday.

I pretty much think I'm the same in person as I am on the net. But that's not exactly correct/true. On the net I can filter what I say, since I'm typing. In person, my response time in fairly quick and there is no filter from brain to mouth to filter what I say.

But on the net, since I have to type I can filter what I write and not give my usual smart ass comments or my flippant comments or my STFU comments. But there are a few posts that I've posted without filtering. It's usually when I first wake up and am not into filtering the smart ass, the flippant or the STFU.

And the nice thing is, I don't have to respond on the net as I feel I need to respond when talking to someone in person.

So, yes, I'm the same, just with a filter added so that I'm not quite as sassy as I am in real life.

Maybe I need to change this. :confused2:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I think I'm more "real" on the Net than I am with most people. At work and with most friends I put up a social veneer and make sure I don't reveal what the other person may not be able to easily have. On the Net, it's easier to say what I really feel.

I do have one friend who I can communicate fully without concern that he'll run away screaming.

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
This topic is fascinating, but also something of a conundrum for me. I really don't know if what others perceive me to be is what I truly, really, am, and what I consider to be my real self -- either here on ESBM or IRL. I am actually quite amazed that so many of you have a real sense of how you come across both here and IRL.

I don't feel that I dissemble or hide myself here on ESBM, but IRL I would probably have fun arguing with friends about more political topics, whereas on the board I have found that to be a bit of a frustration and have knocked off offering my views on some issues. Also, on the board I tend to hold back on some personal stuff either because it is not sci related or because it might seem too self centred, of little interest to others here.:confused2:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
What a great OP, Carmel, and what a great thread! I like what you guys have to say.

I'd like to think I'm the same person online and in IRL, but I definitely communicate differently, especially in English. I'm always slow, when I speak English. Well, I'm slow in writing too, but nobody will ever notice as long as I don't use IRC...

However, IRL I use a lot of irony, sarcasm, and I can even come off as quite offensive sometimes to some people, until they realize: "Oooh, he's right. I never looked at it that way". I also communicate much less verbally and use my eyes, hands and facial expressions a lot. And there's always music - my ex-wife and her husband often just hand me a guitar when they want to know what I think about a certain topic - even in times when my fingers are just useless claws. :lol: Some friends have developed that habit too. :hmm:

A short story about the efficacy of my methods of verbal communication, that I thought I had long forgotten: At one of my gigs, between two sets, I had an interesting conversation with a woman and we both found an ironic comment I had made very funny. Long story short: that comment ended up in at least 3 different newspapers, not without my full name and picture, but of course without the relevant context. :hysterical: Talk to me about spotting reporters :blush: :lol:

Ahem, OK, back to topic:
Well, online I'm a lot more talkative, simply because the other ways of communication aren't that useful here. I'm also a little friendlier and a little more careful with what I say, because I know it might and probably will be archived for the centuries to come; only to bite me in the a$$ somewhere further down the road of life. :hide: