What's new

I was given a bogus personality test & persuaded to think I'm inferior by Scientology

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Esquire Magazine: What It's Like To Visit The Church Of Scientology
I was given a bogus personality test and persuaded to think I'm inferior

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/church-of-scientology-visit

Excerpts:
As I started taking pictures of things I wanted to come back to and learn more about, a guard at the church told me to stop. And to delete pictures off my camera immediately.

It was right after this that I stepped away from the crowd for the first time and went to take a piss. Before I even whipped my penis out, an administrator approached me. Alone. In the men's room.

"Have you taken a personality test yet?"

"Not yet," I said.

"You should take a personality test if you have time. We also offer an IQ test."

"Okay. I'll check out the personality test after I'm done pissing."

To my delight, he quit talking. He then shook my hand across the separator. Don't think I got any urine on him, but I'm not totally certain of that.

After being subtly coerced in the men's room into taking a personality test, I was issued the "Oxford Capacity Analysis," a 200-item questionnaire that had no direction and seemed to lack methodical validity. * * * *
I then asked if I could take my test results home. Given that they did not have the questions or my answers on them, I didn't see what the problem would be as there shouldn't be a copyright issue.

"No. Those stay here."

"Well, can you Xerox me my results? If I am to improve myself, I want to remember which areas of my personality need the most work."

"I'll go ask and see what I can do..."

He didn't come back for more than 10 minutes. I got bored. So I took a picture of my test results with my cell phone and skedaddled. * * * *

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
Re: I was given a bogus personality test & persuaded to think I'm inferior by Sciento

It was an astute article. All a person needs to know about Scientology is right there in the Org if a person has some skepticism. Unfortunately, a lot of vulnerable people don't. Few people respond intellectually or with any reason at all to Scientology's advertising or manipulation. Instead, they respond emotionally. The more vulnerable they are, the more they want something they hope Scientology might be able to deliver, the less reason they will employ.

If a person is the least bit skeptical, let alone like this guy, the "videos about Scientology's greatness," and especially their assessment of your personality with the refrain of, "Scientology can help you with that," and its variants should send a person to the Internet.

As the author said, it is blatant manipulation, and before the Internet, it must've been fairly easy to convince someone that the only way to judge Scientology or learn anything about it is to do it. That is a harder sell now because it does not make sense.

Even a person who reads Dianutty and "wants to believe" or is very intrigued by it, should be making the first stop on the Internet to read discussions about this "important" work, see auditing demonstrated without themselves as a participant, and read how it fits in with the rest of Scientology.

Some former members said they were quite skeptical about Scientology, and I think that appeal to narcissism of, "only you can find out if Scientology is right for you" by doing it, used to work.

Today, a man with prostate cancer could watch videos of conventional surgery vs. robotic surgery, in addition to reading about it to help them make a decision. Scientology is also something where people want to see the tools and the methods used and they also should want to know what Scientologists really believe -- what they hold the most secret, sacred, and charge the most for.

Although I don't know if it is true for sure now, I really hope that the trickle of org traffic is changing in composition from people who are vulnerable and looking for answers, to people who are more skeptical or even doing it just for a goof. The latter will take its toll on the staff and help them wake up.

If people don't question and challenge the Org staff on points and methods, they will not have any reason to question themselves and what they are doing. But if they are challenged, they will realize that Hubbard's sales manipulation and ruin-finding techniques do not work a lot of the time, when people are reasonable, and especially informed.

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron
Re: I was given a bogus personality test & persuaded to think I'm inferior by Sciento

Marvellous stuff, thanks CommunicatorIC.

And so the second wave of journalism against Scientology continues (considering the first wave being the likes of Tony and others who expose the core criminality - the second wave pointing out the ridiculous and obvious inconsistencies in the facade).

I am curious about the results of the personality test. Wonder if any exes can comment whether there is actually a correlation between how people respond and the resulting graphs or whether the graphs are just randomly produced to show a ruin.

It seems to me the Esquire journalist should have scored healthy results on an average personality test.

Are the results collated by computer and a graph generated or is there simply a pile of graphs completely unrelated to the questionnaire that are presented to the unsuspecting punter.

:confused2:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter

Wonder if any exes can comment whether there is actually a correlation between how people respond and the resulting graphs or whether the graphs are just randomly produced to show a ruin.
There is a correlation between how people respond and the resulting graphs.

HOWEVER:

As I recall, there was an artificial "dip" programmed into one (and always the same) portion of the graph. 10 or 20 points deducted? I don't recall if that is still the case.

Obviously, the fact there is a correlation between how people respond and the resulting graphs does not mean there is any correlation to any valid psychological assessment or, well, reality. It is just the case that the graphs are generated from the answers.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron

There is a correlation between how people respond and the resulting graphs.

HOWEVER:

As I recall, there was an artificial "dip" programmed into one (and always the same) portion of the graph. 10 or 20 points deducted? I don't recall if that is still the case.

Obviously, the fact there is a correlation between how people respond and the resulting graphs does not mean there is any correlation to any valid psychological assessment or, well, reality. It is just the case that the graphs are generated from the answers.

There are artificial dips programmed into all 10 traits.

For all ten traits if one draws an x-y axis where x is the raw score and y is the percentile score you would see something that had a low slope towards the left and middle. And one would see an increasing slope quite far to the right.

I wouldn't even call it an exponential shaped graph.

It's more of a secantial shaped graph than anything else..

Rd00

Last edited:

unhinged cult member bringing the lulz said:
I am disappointed by the glib and misleading information presented by this "journalist."L Ron Hubbard warned us of these professional "merchants of chaos" like Ross Benes who sensationalize every topic, even a benign religion, for purposes self promotion. Ross Benes shows himself to be untrustworthy when he reveals he unlawfully stole an image of the Oxford Capacity Analysis, violating the copyright of the Church of Scientology. Expect a letter.

Mr. Ross also displays bigotry and ignorance by forwarding such unfounded rumors that come from South Park cartoons and not very well researched. Find out for yourself, go to your local Scientology org and find out for yourself!
He unlawfully stole an image of the fake personality test that we use to fuck people out of their money

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate

Scientology must be running short of manpower. They only have a single Ronbot attempting to handle this article. All the usual nonsense: you're a bigot! ... millions of Scientologists worldwide ... etc, etc.

I feel sorry for the poor schmo, I really do.

secretiveoldfag

I also was given a bogus personality test and was told I was inferior, without social skills, alone and friendless in the world. I bet that is the sector where they deduct 10 marks.

The buggers were wrong. They did not like me laughing when I wandered out again.

Scientology must be running short of manpower. They only have a single Ronbot attempting to handle this article. All the usual nonsense: you're a bigot! ... millions of Scientologists worldwide ... etc, etc.

I feel sorry for the poor schmo, I really do.

Lone Ronbot pissing in the wind said:
Over 12 million Scientologists helping people all over the world providing helping hands a countless disaster sites. Teaching children about the dangers of drugs. Working to inprove conditions on the Earth and the surrounding sector of our galaxy.
I can't feel sorry for someone this clueless, anymore than I can feel sorry for someone who slams face first into the pavement while trying to perform stunts to post in youtube videos.

He chose to make his purpose in life entertaining people who stumble across his nonsense on the internet.

He's no different than the retard Christian fundamentalists quoting Bible verses to atheists on the internet, except the Christian fundamentalists still have the intellectual capacity to carry on a two way conversation.

It would be one thing if he was born in North Korea and had no choice, but this is entirely self-inflicted.

secretiveoldfag

Originally posted by Clueless Indoctrinated
Over 12 million Scientologists helping people all over the world providing helping hands a countless disaster sites. Teaching children about the dangers of drugs. Working to inprove conditions on the Earth and the surrounding sector of our galaxy.

Where? In the Milky Way?

Lord Xenu

Patron Meritorious

..........was told I was inferior, without social skills, alone and friendless in the world.

Hmmmm....that could apply to me too, but after having to cope with a family full of scifags I have developed spiritually to the point where I do not crave approval
:moon:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud

At fair the clowns had their booth set up to give their free personality tests.

I had a seat and started LOUDLY asking questions :

" You are doing tests for psychological profiles of people & evaluating them " ?

" Surely all of you must be licensed by the state to be in the mental health field "

" I don't see any credentials displayed here ".

" You people look extremely young to have been able to get the degrees and schooling your practice requires - not to mention doctorate degrees".

" Where are the certifications of this test ? What are the credentials of the person who wrote this test ?

...............ya think I made their booth look like it was giving out the plague ?

..............ya think they called " event security " to have me removed for " disruption of their display " ?

LOL !

The other thing is just to take the oca. let 'em eval it & when they finish just say " Hmm. Interesting. I guess it doesn't really work .......I'm OT 7"
( That really plays with the SOers good ).

" You are doing tests for psychological profiles of people & evaluating them " ?

" Surely all of you must be licensed by the state to be in the mental health field "

" You people look extremely young to have been able to get the degrees and schooling your practice requires - not to mention doctorate degrees".

" Where are the certifications of this test ? What are the credentials of the person who wrote this test ?

...............ya think I made their booth look like it was giving out the plague ?

..............ya think they called " event security " to have me removed for " disruption of their display " ?

LOL !

The other thing is just to take the oca. let 'em eval it & when they finish just say " Hmm. Interesting. I guess it doesn't really work .......I'm OT 7"
Or you could just ask them, why would I want to take this test? what will taking this personality test do for me?

And then after you finish ignoring their response, since it really doesn't matter what they say, there is no point and even listening to it, just wait for them to stop speaking then ask them.

If everything you said is true then why are you flat broke?

NoName

A Girl Has No Name

LOL !

And when they try to reg me for my first few courses, I'll hand them my Clear bracelet and tell em the scrap value of the silver aughta cover it.

:hysterical:

MathScience

Patron

Great article, and kudos to a well played Poe by Willy Roberts.:thumbsup:

This OSAbot is even attacking the only other Scientologist that stopped by, he's too busy fighting Hubbard's imaginary war to figure out who he's shooting at.

Monica Mithe S.M. Public Academy said:
This type of comm is unnecessary

William Roberts OSAbot said:
Monica Mithe What are your crimes? L Ron Hubbard said that those who oppose us wish to live in a world of insanity. What Are you a Psych? My Comms are very Theta and you are a force for suppression, obviously.

he surrendered all objective and critical thinking to Ron.

He's a model Scientologist that would make Ron proud.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron

" Originally Posted by William Roberts OSAbot
Monica Mithe What are your crimes? L Ron Hubbard said that those who oppose us wish to live in a world of insanity. What Are you a Psych? My Comms are very Theta and you are a force for suppression, obviously."

Comments, Question, Remarks...

Is William Roberts OSAbot his posting name or is the OSAbot inserted by the poster in this thread? I can't believe that a real OSAbot would be so stupid as to put that in their moniker.

I like the part "My Comms are very Theta...". I picture Right Said Fred singing "I'm too theta for my Ccmm, too theta for my comm, too theta for my uptoned comm".

Rd00

Last edited: