What's new

I was staff at Plymouth (UK) org

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
The names I kept hearing my stepdad mentioned at Plymouth Org before I was there were Debbie Layton (or Graham, I believe she got married) and Rob Petrie, who left to teach in Ottery St Mary. He spoke highly of both.

Rob petrie! He was the course sup when I first went down to Plymouth. Hargreaves was the PES.

Shalashar

Patron
That week's pay was less than 3 pounds sterling.

I was Staff Section Officer for Plymouth Org in 2000 (left after about 6-7months). Yes, I remember well the "pay" I received there.

I was introduced to Assists (the weird massage that's supposed to heal anything). One of the first Assists I got was from a repuslive man called dudley who actually touched me all over, literally. I was so unconfortable with a man touching me in a place nobody had ever run their hands and my chest too. I told the course supervisor afterwards but it was not "handled" and he got away with it. I later found out that Assist was not a normal one but the harm was done.

I remember Dudley alright. Now, I'm a short chap, 5ft6... if I stretch a bit, and he was still a good head shorter then me.

I guess after having read all the stuff about what folk went through over at clambake I shouldn't be surprised that something went off, but I still am. Shocked and angered.

The Basic Course Supervisor was a pervert who loved to flirt with me (and my mum, and the 10-18 year old students, basically all the pretty young women, not his wife). He would not speak to a lady, he would speak to her chest.

The basic course supe when I was there was Greg, Vicky's husband, was that the guy? I do remember him being something of a letch...

The 2 bosses (ED + Senior C/S) always went home at dinner time for much longer than the allocated 45 minutes. Sometimes they didn't even bother coming back after dinner at all!

Yeah, I remember that too.

Nobody said a word because they were too scared. Yet it was up to me to get everybody in on time and do roll-call. I could not enforce the rules the ED and his wife wouldn't abide by.

Had the same trouble getting him to do his courses as SSO. Was like hurding cats.

As I was never paid for all my hard work I was evicted from the shelter I lived in for not paying my rent and went to a council house with a bunch of other staff members. Life got more and more harsh. I could not afford luxuries like fruit or cereal. My meals were tiny items I could buy in the nearby Spar shop.

Yeah, I remember that too, when working and active I usually average around 10 and a half stone or so, when I left that place I'd gone down to just under 8.

Eventually I was treated like scum by the senior members of staff, because of my poor stats and my unhappiness I was relieved of my usual duties. I was working for the Ethics department just cleaning and building. Yes, building. I was taught to mix cement, demolish bad walls, and build saunas. I stopped having the strength to wake up in the mornings and was literally dragged in most days if they couldn't wake me with phonecalls. When I arrived late (everyday) the senior c/s and D/ED rolled their eyes, muttered horrible things and then refused to address me directly because I was poisonous.
One day my senior was sent to collect me from home as usual but I refused to open the door. She would not give up and came back with reinforcements. I did not give in. She sent me threats of declaring me a Suppressive Person but I said yes please. This went on and on until they stopped patrolling my front door. My boyfriend stayed by my side and also refused to go into the org.
That was practically the end of my ordeal. I had to go back a few times to keep the peace so they would not disconnect me from the rest of my family. They gave me "word clearing" because they believed misunderstood words were the reason I became unhappy. Misunderstood words! Just random words in the little coursework I had done.
Thank goodness my whole family is out of there now. As soon as my boyfriend and I disconnected ourselves from Scn our relationship was back on track.

If you're wondering, the Purif did not work. I had to pretend it did, just so I could end the sauna + vitamin torture. During the e-meter test I got a floating needle by thinking of happy things like getting away.

I have to be honest in saying I was lucky in as much as I never had other family in Scn, so I just blew.

I consider my £54 freeloader bill to be a badge of honour these days :D

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
She's the ED (Executive Director)! LOL

Is that Vicky Bourne? Can't say I was impressed either.

Shalashar, welcome to ESMB!

BTW, do you remember anyone from your time who was at the org in the mid-80's, when I was there? I'm curious to know what became of some of the people I knew at Plymouth Org from that time.

Shalashar

Patron
Is that Vicky Bourne? Can't say I was impressed either.

The Vicky I knew was something like 6ft tall, as thin as a rake and in her early-mid 30's, was married to the basic course supe, Greg who himself admitted to being a former junkie. Can't for the life of me remember her last name though.

Shalashar, welcome to ESMB!

Thankyou!

BTW, do you remember anyone from your time who was at the org in the mid-80's, when I was there? I'm curious to know what became of some of the people I knew at Plymouth Org from that time.

Only people I knew who might have been around at that time was an elderly chap called Ron and his wife (who again I can't for the life of me remember her name, lovely lady though) who were both old time scn's who used to run a mission waaay back.

Damn, I thought I'd forgotten this stuff... I did try very hard to at least...

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Vicky I knew was something like 6ft tall, as thin as a rake and in her early-mid 30's, was married to the basic course supe, Greg who himself admitted to being a former junkie. Can't for the life of me remember her last name though.

Thankyou!

Only people I knew who might have been around at that time was an elderly chap called Ron and his wife (who again I can't for the life of me remember her name, lovely lady though) who were both old time scn's who used to run a mission waaay back.

Damn, I thought I'd forgotten this stuff... I did try very hard to at least...

If it brings back bad memories don't worry, it's just that whatever the merits / shortcomings / crimes of the Church, I met some fine people there.

These are the names I remember, in no particular order;

Mark Jeffery, the ED

Charmien Caunter, Mark's other half (very nice actually).

Moira Cannaird, the ethics officer and part time auditor / screamer at staff who hadn't sold enough DMSMH's

Amanda Caunter, daughter of same and a real sweetie

Sheila the ex-dinner lady. Everyone liked her.

Steve McCandless

Paul McInnis

Diane Ralph

Tizzy the punk (soft as custard despite her appearance). Never learnt her last name.

Aman Ansari, course sup and bullbaiter extraordinaire. I think he left under a cloud

Paul and Wendy Timms

Candy Vine

Barbara Manuel, Book 1 auditor from the first time the org opened in 1969. She was good fun

Anne (Carter?) from Bristol

Shalashar

Patron
If it brings back bad memories don't worry, it's just that whatever the merits / shortcomings / crimes of the Church, I met some fine people there.

Mark Jeffery, the ED

That name rings a bell - the first floor course supe (the basic courses being held on the second floor by Greg) was done by a chap called Mark, tall guy, curly hair broad shoulders...

Dick Jones was ED when I was there. Am told he's currently in RPF and that his wife Susie has only just managed to get out of that.

Shalashar

Patron
Should also add that whilst it does bring up some somewhat painful memories, I do consider that I got off lightly.

That said, and I'll be blunt on this: What I have learned since has galvanised me to acting to help bring about the complete shutdown of the cult via protest.

Too many people have been hurt and died as a result of it for it to be any other way.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Should also add that whilst it does bring up some somewhat painful memories, I do consider that I got off lightly.

That said, and I'll be blunt on this: What I have learned since has galvanised me to acting to help bring about the complete shutdown of the cult via protest.

Too many people have been hurt and died as a result of it for it to be any other way.

Good for you Shalashar! :thumbsup:

Oh, and welcome to ESMB. I hope to hear more from you.

:welcome2:

Axiom142

Shalashar

Patron
Hmm! Tbh given the staff turnover rate of that place (3 or 4 folk came and went during my short stint) I really am surprised he has been (or at least was, dunno if he still is) there as long as he has!

Last edited: