What's new

IAS annual event East Grinstead - 16/10/2009

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
:confused2:

Surely the main entrance = the main gates.
In this case that is the ideal place as you get the traffic from both directions. And in fact I thought there was only really one way in, the way directly into the main car park (if you turned left a few yards after the gates) otherwise you would get down to the castle.

The protestors were directly opposite the main entrance to the St Hill estate.

The majority of cars parked in the field next to this entrance, and the entrance to this field was about 100 yards down the road (towards EG and away from the protestors). But even so, a large number of the arriving public went past the protestors as a lot of taxis and most of the coaches went either into the main entrance or into the rugby club car park further down the road in the opposite direction.

Axiom142

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron
Paul wrote:
The police would appear to be very cooperative with the CofS in this instance.

This is something I keep wondering about. Whilst on the one hand, appearing to have our safety foremost in their minds. It did not escape our attention that notes were being written down, on the protesters, not sure whether this was detailed descriptions or not.

Also if an anon crossed the road to take photos, they were immediately intercepted as to why they had crossed the road.They were allowed to take photos, but it could be interpreted as intimidation of sorts as supposedly Britain is a free country.

There was also a "flap" when one anon said something abit overboard. This anon was questioned by the police.Whilst I am not going to repeat the remark here, there is a video on you tube somewhere which I can't find that has a Scientologist saying something similar, only worse.The anon in question happens to be one of my favourite anons and although the remark was a generality, there is some truth to the remark made. Like everything in life, no matter how bad something is,one cannot tarr everyone with the same brush.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
:confused2:

Surely the main entrance = the main gates.
In this case that is the ideal place as you get the traffic from both directions. And in fact I thought there was only really one way in, the way directly into the main car park (if you turned left a few yards after the gates) otherwise you would get down to the castle.

Looks like I was wrong. How it used to be was that the "main gates" were usually closed, and not used except by official visitors, so to speak. The general traffic, mostly to the castle, would be via the side entrance, with the big car park just inside it on the left. Before making my earlier remark, I thought that the main gates were closed as usual and most of the traffic would be way out of sight to where the protesters had been herded.

Where was the tent located exactly? Would most cars coming from East Grinstead and using Turner's Hill Road have parked at the "Rugby Club" (I don't remember a rugby club although I remember them playing cricket one field away from Saint Hill on the same side of the road) and not come as far as the main gates?

Paul

Lesolee (Sith Lord)

Patron Meritorious
The protestors were directly opposite the main entrance to the St Hill estate.

The majority of cars parked in the field next to this entrance, and the entrance to this field was about 100 yards down the road (towards EG and away from the protestors).
Thanks, the video made it clear. That road is dangerous enough for pedestrians even when it is not busy. Protesting there must have been risky from a car-hitting-body perspective. :melodramatic:

It's a pity about the whole rugby club field "secret" entrance thing, as most out of towners would reach that car park first and not see the protesters. :bigcry: Previously (ok, 15 years ago) they would have gone in through the main gate and turned right into the field.

hartley

Patron with Honors
Looks like I was wrong. How it used to be was that the "main gates" were usually closed

The main gates are used by general traffic, particularly taxis, the side entrance more by staff and students. They are normally left open and unguarded (with security cameras).
The marquee would have been in the field behind the main building, hired for the day from the local farmer.
As the video shows there was a sign for the 'IAS CAR PARK' entrance further down.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron

Where was the tent located exactly? Would most cars coming from East Grinstead and using Turner's Hill Road have parked at the "Rugby Club" (I don't remember a rugby club although I remember them playing cricket one field away from Saint Hill on the same side of the road) and not come as far as the main gates?

Paul

Paul,

This annotated aerial photo should make things clear:

2961700395_d0d4b6d3fc_o.jpg

Most cars were parked in the field at the top left. The rugby club is across the road from the St Hill estate.

Axiom142

Lesolee (Sith Lord)

Patron Meritorious
Ok, so the building, bottom right corner of the photo, under the "Hill" of St Hill Manor. What's that called? I think it used to be a staff canteen and accommodation. Is that "the stables"?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Ok, so the building, bottom right corner of the photo, under the "Hill" of St Hill Manor. What's that called? I think it used to be a staff canteen and accommodation. Is that "the stables"?

The Stables is just out of the picture in that same area. Looking at the full Google map, those buildings just under the "Hill", as far as I remember, include a glass greenhouse and gardening shed; and what looks like some dumpsters and some small buildings that I don't remember from 1986 but are possibly maintenance-type sheds.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Is the "side entrance" marked as the South Entrance on the map?

No, other way around. It's a bit of a misnomer. The "South Entrance" corresponds to the Main Gates. The "main entrance" marked on the map doesn't have the fancy ornamental gates to it and is much smaller, but is the usual entrance for staff and students.

Paul

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Stables is just out of the picture in that same area. Looking at the full Google map, those buildings just under the "Hill", as far as I remember, include a glass greenhouse and gardening shed; and what looks like some dumpsters and some small buildings that I don't remember from 1986 but are possibly maintenance-type sheds.

Paul

Paul is correct. This area has the greenhouse and maintenance sheds. The stables are off the picture to the bottom right.

Axiom142

Sharone Stainforth

Lesolee (Sith Lord?) wrote:

That's a big effort to stand on a lonely road in the countryside. Thank you for spending the time and effort to do so. :clap:

Moar Pics :prettyplease: :prettyplease:

No effort at all, when its something you firmly believe in. Having said that, there are those that think I am stark staring mad. Nothing new there then. :D

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
2007 Event.

Perhaps this doesn’t really belong in this thread, but it is related.

Here is a collection of clips taken at the 2007 IAS event (2 years ago). This gives you a glimpse of what goes on inside the tent.

Notice what is said about psychiatry starting at around 6:55. ‘Gobal obliteration’ and ‘global vaporisation’ of psychiatry, accompanied by graphics of explosions.? Could this be construed as an incitement to violence against psychiatrists?

And check out Miscavige’s eyes at 4:57.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNVNvx7F--k

Axiom142

Lesolee (Sith Lord)

Patron Meritorious
No, other way around. It's a bit of a misnomer. The "South Entrance" corresponds to the Main Gates. The "main entrance" marked on the map doesn't have the fancy ornamental gates to it and is much smaller, but is the usual entrance for staff and students.
So I spent 5 years driving through the side entrance thinking it was the main entrance. :duh:

I don't recall the other entrance ever being used, but then again, since I wasn't often down that end, I wouldn't have known if it was open.

Sharone Stainforth

Axiom,
Thats a really interesting video.Interesting that it promotes the same party line that Hubbard promoted on the Apollo.

On the Apollo there wasn't gold and ceremony, but there was the same Hitler style stance on bringing down psychiatry. The decks were overflowing with crew and students. I don't remember the exact speech by Hubbard, but it was filled with world war 3 if we didn't clear the planet. How psychiatry had to be obliterated and at the end of his speech there was this rapturous applause from the Scientologists. I was standing right next to Amos Jessop at the time, I was off duty.The Scientology crowd went wild. It seemed like it should have been a good thing, but I knew it wasn't.I didn't really know how to react, so you clap and cheer like everyone else and kept your thoughts to yourself. Crazy or what!

I was a little kid living in a floating mental institution. How do you explain that? Believe me its scary stuff.

That video you have posted IS exactly why we protest and ITs' right on topic and David Miscavidge is just like another Hubbard, but in a different body.

"Couldn't find a babysitter"????????if you're a scientologist??????? Then you're committed. Yet another stance on KSW, children are waaay down the line on Scientology committments.

Sharone Stainforth

Lesollee wrote:

So I spent 5 years driving through the side entrance thinking it was the main entrance.

What is all this with entrances? The entrance that we picketed by was the only entrance to St. Hill that I ever went in.I didn't know there was another entrance.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
"A world without WAR......" where scientology bombs their enemies. Makes Sense!:confused2:

Well maybe I can figure it out, really it is just a HATE machine. The insanity
production by an insane leader. Who took off his straight jacket!:duh:

Terrorist group much?:omg:

Perhaps this doesn’t really belong in this thread, but it is related.

Here is a collection of clips taken at the 2007 IAS event (2 years ago). This gives you a glimpse of what goes on inside the tent.

Notice what is said about psychiatry starting at around 6:55. ‘Gobal obliteration’ and ‘global vaporisation’ of psychiatry, accompanied by graphics of explosions.? Could this be construed as an incitement to violence against psychiatrists?

And check out Miscavige’s eyes at 4:57.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNVNvx7F--k

Axiom142

hartley

Patron with Honors
So I spent 5 years driving through the side entrance thinking it was the main entrance
On the photo, "Main Entrance" is the big gates where protesters stand. The 'stables' where the canteen is located are not on the photo but off it to the right, they are adjacent to the side entrance which opens onto the road running south from the Green which is in the bottom right corner.

Lesolee (Sith Lord)

Patron Meritorious
So is that stuff at the bottom right all part of Saint Hill Manor? There seem to be a lot of cars there. I often walked down the path, right at the middle of the picture, but never went right of centre on that path -- restricted to staff only?

sh.bmp