What's new

In the US and Australia, new Ideal Orgs are increasingly isolated and uninviting. What gives?

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Underground Bunker

In the US and Australia, new Ideal Orgs are increasingly isolated and uninviting. What gives?

By the time this story posts on Saturday morning here in the US, it will already be Saturday evening in Perth, Australia, and Scientology’s newest “Ideal Org” would have had its grand opening, complete with a visit from church leader David Miscavige.

But in the days leading up to this event, we were [...]

By the time this story posts[.......]

Continue reading...

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
In the comments section they are talking about the number 30 popping up as a frequent estimate for local membership to these new buildings. Although that figure may vary the reality that the active field is extremely small in relation to the buildings and what would be needed for them to remain viable still holds and this triggered some random thoughts.

A 30 member field would probably be about 10 families figuring grown children of first generation Scientologists are included. That number is probably more typical of a Mission than an Org and one of the problems with Missions is long term Scientologists probably don't have much use for the level of services provided by a Mission and they would have to go to an Advanced Org or Flag for services. This rule probably still applies for these orgs as well. Most strong financial contributors in the field will be old time members of the local OT Committee and being OT they are AO and Flag public. As this becomes an increasingly insular clique motivations for having a local org are probably more associated with maintaining the clique than about Scientology itself. It keeps the kids and grandkids close, it provides a "meet market" where the kids can recruit and/or pair up with other Scientologists to raise pure Scientology families. A lot of these families are probably already related by marriage. If a member doesn't pony up then their status as a Scientologist isn't the only thing at risk, it is their status within this clique or extended family.

This is one of the greatest dangers of Scientology - it is strategically designed to define families in a way that allows Scientology to strip their collective assets.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
In the comments section they are talking about the number 30 popping up as a frequent estimate for local membership to these new buildings. Although that figure may vary the reality that the active field is extremely small in relation to the buildings and what would be needed for them to remain viable still holds and this triggered some random thoughts.

A 30 member field would probably be about 10 families figuring grown children of first generation Scientologists are included. That number is probably more typical of a Mission than an Org and one of the problems with Missions is long term Scientologists probably don't have much use for the level of services provided by a Mission and they would have to go to an Advanced Org or Flag for services. This rule probably still applies for these orgs as well. Most strong financial contributors in the field will be old time members of the local OT Committee and being OT they are AO and Flag public. As this becomes an increasingly insular clique motivations for having a local org are probably more associated with maintaining the clique than about Scientology itself. It keeps the kids and grandkids close, it provides a "meet market" where the kids can recruit and/or pair up with other Scientologists to raise pure Scientology families. A lot of these families are probably already related by marriage. If a member doesn't pony up then their status as a Scientologist isn't the only thing at risk, it is their status within this clique or extended family.

This is one of the greatest dangers of Scientology - it is strategically designed to define families in a way that allows Scientology to strip their collective assets.
Yes, it creates an increasingly cultish environment, where locals are pressured to spend every available hour at the org, working at "getting the stats up" somehow. No one will be allowed to spend any time with non-Scns, and any time not at the org must be accounted for.

FoTi

Crusader
Yes, it creates an increasingly cultish environment, where locals are pressured to spend every available hour at the org, working at "getting the stats up" somehow. No one will be allowed to spend any time with non-Scns, and any time not at the org must be accounted for.
There is no way they are ever going to get the stats up...it's impossible without a lot of people, which isn't ever going to happen. :hamster:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Right. I haven't been involved with organized Scientology for a very long time but I found myself drifting away even then because I realized that just like in the Sea Org, the non-SO field was never going to amount to anything. I couldn't mentally dissect what I was sensing like I can now but it was clear that the seeds for internal organizational conflict and self destruction were built into the fabric of Scientology from the top all the way to the bottom.

From a distance, now what I am observing is that being an active Scientologist has less and less to do with anything Scientology. Where is the auditing taking place in all of this? That is what this was supposed to be about. The Purif isn't really Scientology - cultures have been using sweat huts for eons. Disseminating isn't Scientology, it's sales and marketing. Donating money or selling indulgences to buy buildings that the local community don't own or control isn't, that's good ol real estate acquisition and monument building. Neither is just giving money for legal slush funds that are only necessary because the Church can't keep their noses clean, the mafia needs an army of lawyers. Going to events is more about not getting black listed and hooking up. Status in keeping with Orwellian doublespeak has been redefined to equate to spiritual enlightenment. We aren't supposed to be motivated by MEST but big ostentatious trophies are cool?

So listening to the radio in the car today these survey results about robot sex were mentioned. My immediate thought was - this is why Scientology isn't going away anytime soon. There will always be a percentage of people who buy into really crazy shit and Hubbard figured this out:

https://nypost.com/2018/04/27/a-lot-of-americans-think-theyd-probably-try-sex-with-a-robot/

Shockingly, 16 percent of the 2,000 Americans studied would even prefer to have sex with a robot than a real human.
Some would even rather date a robot, with an open-minded 13 percent saying they’d prefer a relationship with a robot than a human.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ating-what-makes-good-sex-bad-sex/1078507001/

*Robogasms: Thirty-one percent of single men said they would have sex with a robot, while only 15% of women said they were open to robo-sex. Nearly half of singles consider sex with a robot as cheating.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I can't relate your post to my post that you quoted.:confused:
Ugh, went to delete but you quoted me so for clarification...

In a nutshell, they are too cheap to use robots. It defeats the whole purpose of having cheap labor. Scientology specializes in deception and would rely upon digital image manipulation.

But you have the right idea.

Make sense?

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
"....I’m told that it’s so blatantly obvious what is going on that they’re not even trying to hide that they’re mainly doing all this only to satisfy Miscavige and for the sake of Scientology PR rather than actually doing the work that orgs are supposed to be doing..."

That is an interesting and telling statement. So the dwarf has reached that stage with his people where they fib to him and humour him so as not upset him, just like they used to do with Hubbard. How much longer does he have before he's isolated and ousted by his underlings? Are there any contenders he hasn't eliminated?

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
"....I’m told that it’s so blatantly obvious what is going on that they’re not even trying to hide that they’re mainly doing all this only to satisfy Miscavige and for the sake of Scientology PR rather than actually doing the work that orgs are supposed to be doing..."

That is an interesting and telling statement. So the dwarf has reached that stage with his people where they fib to him and humour him so as not upset him, just like they used to do with Hubbard. How much longer does he have before he's isolated and ousted by his underlings? Are there any contenders he hasn't eliminated?
Things were pretty blatant in the Sea Org when LRH was still living. The government, IRS, Psychs, Interpol, Military Intelligence, foreign governments, etc. were all out to git im so using religious cloaking, not telling the truth or even associating with the press and lying to officials was taken for granted. That was one level of deception. The next was maintaining a good PR facade with Scientology public. They weren't supposed to know about the actual conditions of the RPF. Although, there would be renovation projects where public Scientologist volunteers worked in close proximity to RPF they would have been shocked to see how they were treated behind the scenes. That goes for a lot of conditions for Sea Org members. SO don't even discuss it with their non-SO Scientology family members or Scientology public friends. Then there is the deception between the different management strata levels and org, mission hierarchy. Even SO crew in the same org are tight lipped about their own day to day conditions even when it is right there for everyone to see and experience together.

Unquestioning dedication becomes a kind of competition - a competition with yourself and others around you. I think they have a huge retention problem - they always have, but instead of 3 - 5 years for someone to burn out it is probably 1 - 3. The people who stay are caught up in competing over fanaticism or so broken that they can't envision another alternative.

When LRH was alive I think there were a lot of decent capable people who come to mind that I would have considered as good candidates to take over the organization and they probably would have been actually humane compared to Hubbard but none of those people that I thought of that way are still in.

When the time comes to replace DM my money is on one of the people who is a bank signatory for the offshore accounts and has the closest working relationship with the corporate lawyers more so than any understanding or dedication to Scientology.

I think it is already clear that they don't trust anyone or each other. The public and staff alike are a liability and can turn on them any time and if there is one lesson the ex community has made clear - it's that anything and everything will eventually become public knowledge no matter how many sec-checks or NDAs they inflict on people.

But stupidity seems to know no bounds so I'll hedge my bets expecting some kind of sick shell game to be played for years to come.

Fred Basset

Patron
One of the worst things about the Id Orgs is that there is no Scientology presence in the CBD. No more body routing can possibly happen out in a suburb or worse, in industrial suburb.
What can you do, pick people up and bus them from town out to the org to get intro disseminated to?
Doesn't add up.

Fred Basset

Patron
In fact I don't think an Org can call itself an Org if it is not in the CBD. AO's excepted.

I think if it is in a suburb then it has to call itself a mission.

So Perth just got itself a mission!

It should aspire to one day making getting to the stage of having a ClassV Org in the big smoke.

It has seemed more and more like a mission and less of a ClassV Org each time I have gone there.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
In fact I don't think an Org can call itself an Org if it is not in the CBD. AO's excepted.

I think if it is in a suburb then it has to call itself a mission.

So Perth just got itself a mission!

It should aspire to one day making getting to the stage of having a ClassV Org in the big smoke.

It has seemed more and more like a mission and less of a ClassV Org each time I have gone there.
I think you are onto something there. As missions contracted they sacrificed locations with public visibility and access for locations with lower rent, even using offices of patron's businesses as double duty with a niche to serve as a bookstore. This could work on some level because they didn't rely on walk-ins anymore and didn't really have the personnel to do much body routing - they relied on the local loyal clique and carefully groomed and targeted proselytizing. Since the purpose of Ideal Orgs isn't to deliver Scientology but rather as a tax avoidance and asset preservation strategy and the local field don't place a priority on public access anymore then DM can get away with this.

Body routing is probably dead anyway. Scientology isn't a new mysterious edgy thing anymore - it's toxic and most people know it. Even I haven't seen a JW or Mormon at my door in ages. I think Scientology is even starting to slack off on the phone calls and snail mail. We are all figuring out how to screen calls and the cost of bulk mail was a killer at FP even in the 70s. With printing, labor and postage every mail "particle" in excess of a postcard (which they do seem to use more often lately) probably costs about a buck minimum.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
...and the cost of bulk mail was a killer at FP even in the 70s. With printing, labor and postage every mail "particle" in excess of a postcard (which they do seem to use more often lately) probably costs about a buck minimum.
Interesting bit of trivia: There is an LRH policy that expressly forbids "bulk mail" except for magazines. There is no policy that allows bulk mail to counter that policy. "Bulk mail" as a HCO statistic is supposed to count all personally written letters out (Div 2 and Div 6) plus any magazine mailing when done.

Like Regs demanding people go deeply into debt despite LRH policies saying don't ever go into debt, this is just another example of Scientology/Hubbard hypocrisy.