Independent Scientology Advanced Organization of the Great Plains announces Online Academy

phenomanon

Canyon
I have the same 2 vol. compact OED, as well as the 2 vol. Shorter Oxford, a first edition New Oxford American Dict. and a 1 vol Concise OED! (Plus a red college edition of the American Heritage Dict.) I even have a "big Liddlle"! (Greek-English Lexicon. The LARGE version. Quite chuffed with my little library of dictionaries.

While on mission staff I managed to talk the Qual Sec into letting me on the PRD. My dictionary of choice was the 2 vol. compact OED!!! Sadly, my contract ended and I left staff before I could finish it...

(No one could figure out why I had no interest in the KTL course. :)

Jack
As I mentioned earlier, I have never heard of this "remedy" in word clearing. (I was a pro word clearer for years.)

The "take a walk" thing became common with the advent of KTL/LOC. While I never did either one, my then wife did. I also saw many others doing these courses. Apparently when things got rough in the KTL course room, "dope off" etc. the remedy was to take your twin for a walk. I think this was because the process of the course, the subject and its methods precluded the "standard" remedies, but, again, I haven't personally done either course.

Jack

It was a "havingness" process where you are directed by the auditor to point out things in the environment.
I don't remember the name of this process.

I did the M1. It never happened to me.

I got a couple pcs through the M1, also. I never even heard of this "technique."
I was a pro W/Cer, too.

Ja

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Sounds a bit like a precursor to the OT I grade I did in 1970

Yes, I recall getting sent out to 'take a walk, notice things ... and return with notes for the CS' (or similar) while doing either OT1 or 2.

I was not impressed (I was severely unimpressed!).

It was part of the standard checksheet at the time, but I believe the checksheet was changed every so often.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Also, I don't remember this being run as any part of start-of-session rudiments (i.e. "flying ruds").
It's just another auditing process. For M1, I don't know if this required a C/S order.

Last edited:

JackStraw

Silver Meritorious Patron
No. I never heard of that one. Sounds a wee bit non-standard. :questions:

Some other handlings I've heard recommended that I don't think are written down anywhere:
  • Have the pc rub feet on the rug to bring the TA down.
  • If pc dopes off during R3R (dianetics), gently nudge pc's foot with yours -- play footsie with the pc.
"Take a Walk" comes from (my first encounter with it) Problems of Work. It was the remedy for someone who had spent their work day with their attention at a "fixed distance" for an extended period of time, creating, I guess, a "stuck flow" or some such nonsense. I worked with an auditor who would send his pcs out for a "walk" if, before session they reported being tired.
Fair enough IF you had checked that they had enough sleep the night before. This auditor would also send them for a walk if they were tired because they had not had enough sleep! To "wake them up and feel less tired"!
He even tried to have me do it when he became the D of P and I audited under him. I refused. I told him that taking a walk, no matter how much better it made the pc feel was no substitute for actual sleep. He backed off.

I remember seeing a reference to the "foot nudge" somewhere...Book 1? I didn't do R3R, but rather NED and I don't recall it being there...

Jack

pineapple

No. I never heard of that one. Sounds a wee bit non-standard. :questions:

Some other handlings I've heard recommended that I don't think are written down anywhere:
  • Have the pc rub feet on the rug to bring the TA down.
  • If pc dopes off during R3R (dianetics), gently nudge pc's foot with yours -- play footsie with the pc.
I believe I heard both of these from an old-timer -- someone who'd been in scn for 15 years before I joined. I never did the "rub feet on the carpet," but I did do the foot nudge once.

We were running R3R (dianetics) and on one run through the incident the pc went completely out. I don't know how long he was like that, but it seemed like a very long time to me, and he showed no signs of coming out of it, so I thought, "Well, how long are you gonna just sit here? Try it." So I gently nudged his foot with mine. He grunted and moved slightly, and I said, "Tell me what happened." He did, and we were back on the rails. So it worked well the one time I did it.

I don't remember if this is from Book 1, but I'd guess it's from there if it's from anywhere.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
"When a pc has a high TA (4.0 or above) after having one or more sessions, it is obvious that the earlier chains found were not erased." HCOB 25 May 1969 High TA Assessment.

In this situation you would find out what had gone wrong with the auditing, so "taking a walk" would not be an option.

I seem to remember that from 1981 onwards after attesting to Clear the next step was the Sunshine Rundown which involved taking a walk and looking at trees and so on and so forth.

RogerB

Crusader
We were running R3R (dianetics) and on one run through the incident the pc went completely out. I don't know how long he was like that, but it seemed like a very long time to me, and he showed no signs of coming out of it, so I thought, "Well, how long are you gonna just sit here? Try it." So I gently nudged his foot with mine. He grunted and moved slightly, and I said, "Tell me what happened." He did, and we were back on the rails. So it worked well the one time I did it.
Ya, this is the result of the idiotic Dianetics command to "move through the incident."

If you look at this, you'll observe that command actually makes the PC smaller than the part of the Time Stream containing the incident and makes the PC effect of it.

Alan Walter got it right. His command used in his Holographic Incident Handling R/D is to, after moving to before the beginning of the incident to: “Holographically experience what happened from that point to present time, telling me what occurred as you go.” . . . . to be noted is that this command has the PC staying bigger than the "incident" and in control.

This point Dull Old Fart and I explored at length on an earlier thread.

Rog

/

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
When I was active, back during The Boxer Rebellion, Hubbard (or someone writing on his behalf) recommended The American Heritage Dictionary particularly citing it's correct definition of "dianetics". It was the de facto official dictionary at FCDC and it was a pretty damn good dictionary.

A few months ago I came across a Third Edition of the AHD. It no longer had an entry for "dianetics"

phenomanon

Canyon
Reading the above several posts regarding M/Us, misunderstood words and such.

Hubbard actually got it totally wrong with his glib superficiality!

You'll note he kept yapping on about M/Us . . . M/Us, M/Us and M/Us . . . .

In actuality, it's not the M/U that reads on the meter, but the NON-Understood; the words you went past that you did not/do not have a full comprehension and understanding of . . . that is where and why the charge built up that then reads on the meter when you address it.

Folks who actually have true mis-understood words actually don't know it and no charge has built up, though, when they act on the word believing they have a correct comprehension, they screw up . . .

But to Hubbard's warped intellect, they were all the same to him . . . M/U, Non-U??? Meh, all were spouted as being one and the same.
Somewhere in hisself's words he sez that when you go by a word that you don't know the meaning of, you should mark or circle it and look it up later.That would be when you know that you don't know the meaning of the fooking word. Or sum'pin.

phenomanon

Canyon
As I mentioned earlier, I have never heard of this "remedy" in word clearing. (I was a pro word clearer for years.)

The "take a walk" thing became common with the advent of KTL/LOC. While I never did either one, my then wife did. I also saw many others doing these courses. Apparently when things got rough in the KTL course room, "dope off" etc. the remedy was to take your twin for a walk. I think this was because the process of the course, the subject and its methods precluded the "standard" remedies, but, again, I haven't personally done either course.

Jack
A lot of those KTL/LOC guys were "taking a walk" on a routing form to Review in the HGC.

phenomanon

Canyon
"When a pc has a high TA (4.0 or above) after having one or more sessions, it is obvious that the earlier chains found were not erased." HCOB 25 May 1969 High TA Assessment.

In this situation you would find out what had gone wrong with the auditing, so "taking a walk" would not be an option.

I seem to remember that from 1981 onwards after attesting to Clear the next step was the Sunshine Rundown which involved taking a walk and looking at trees and so on and so forth.
( deleted)

phenomanon

Canyon
When I was active, back during The Boxer Rebellion, Hubbard (or someone writing on his behalf) recommended The American Heritage Dictionary particularly citing it's correct definition of "dianetics". It was the de facto official dictionary at FCDC and it was a pretty damn good dictionary.

A few months ago I came across a Third Edition of the AHD. It no longer had an entry for "dianetics"
MY AHD is a 1969 edition. The entry there is"DianOetic". It is a different word. :oops::oops: but the definition itself fits dianetics.
Go figure.:(

phenomanon

Canyon
I believe I heard both of these from an old-timer -- someone who'd been in scn for 15 years before I joined. I never did the "rub feet on the carpet," but I did do the foot nudge once.

I don't remember if this is from Book 1, but I'd guess it's from there if it's from anywher
I don't think it is anywhere. I think it would be called a GAE ( gross auditing error).

pineapple

I don't think it is anywhere. I think it would be called a GAE ( gross auditing error).
DMSMH, pp 232-233:
He should stir the patient up once in a while and try to make him go through the engram.
There is a very special way to stir a patient into life: don't touch his body for it may be
highly restimulative and make him very upset. Touch only the bottoms of his feet with your
hand or your own feet and touch them just enough to jog him into attention for a moment.
That keeps the "boil-off" in progress and does not permit the patient to sag into ordinary sleep.
https://ronsorg.ch/wp-content/uploads/Dianetics-The-Modern-Science-of-Mental-Health.pdf

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
A question for those who did M1 word clearing (before continuing to fast-flow Student Hat for Super-Literate):

Did your T/A frequently get too high and then your auditor took you outside to take a walk?
Never, for me. I did "take a walk" during the KTL, and also during the 'new' Pro TRs course, which had Clay Table Processing. We only did the take a walk thing during Clay Table Processing for the Pro TRs, if things got a bit boggy. So take a walk seems to have become a thing in the 90s, with the advent of the based-on-the-works-of (tm) tech.

I almost had my first sexual experience as a result of take-a-walk on the pro TRs at St. Hill. My twin was hot - I fancied her a lot. One day, my twin wanted to take-a-walk, and she insisted on running through the mud in the countryside just outside St. Hill Manor (near the border of the property). I was like 'Oh come on, I'm not running through the mud after you! Come back!' Then suddenly it occurred to me that she was playing 'catch me if you can!', and that we were conveniently far away from prying eyes. Sadly, I was determined to get through my tech training, and so didn't dare risk getting declared for out-2D. Had it gone any further, would that have counted as a havingness process? :p Or reach-and-withdraw?:unsure: