What's new

Investigation Discovery Scientology Going Clear subject Mark Rathbun

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
April 15 10 PM EDT: Scientology Going Clear subject Mark Rathbun on Investigation Discovery.

http://tv.twcc.com/tv/dangerous-persuasions/7915053#s0-e8

* * * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

A Scientologist's Escape

Hoping to cure his mentally ill brother, Mark signs a billion-year contract with the Church of Scientology and climbs the ranks before discovering the church's dark side.

Next on:
Wednesday 15th April 10:00pm EDT - Investigation Discovery

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

HT - Tony Ortega (2nd item): http://tonyortega.org/2015/04/06/mi...er-the-treatment-of-his-friend-spanky-taylor/

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Investigation Discovery: 'Dangerous Persuasions II' - Marty Rathbun

A Scientologist's Escape - Marty Rathbun signs a billion year contract with the Church of Scientology, convinced it will help cure his mentally ill brother. He climbs the ranks becoming one of its most elite officers. But Mark is increasingly exposed to the dark, violent side of the church.

Wednesday, April 15 @ 7:00pm
Investigation Discovery

http://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-schedule

Last edited:

Daisy

Patron with Honors
Re: Investigation Discovery: 'Dangerous Persuasions II' - Marty Rathbun

Looks good! Talk about an avalanche of scientology's dirty secrets.

Leland

Crusader

Sounds good.

Last edited:

Phoenix8

Patron with Honors

This is scheduled on my DVR! Can't wait to watch.

There was another Dangerous Persuasions show that involved an ex-so member and her husband. They worked @FLAG, I think for OSA later to be on the RPF whIle pregnant. Even later, to work for CC Int recruiting celebs. She was following Paulette Cooper. anyone seen that one?

Unfortunately the show was split in 4 on youtube and two of the segments were removed by copyright violations. Can anyone link me to that full episode?

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron

This is scheduled on my DVR! Can't wait to watch.

There was another Dangerous Persuasions show that involved an ex-so member and her husband. They worked @FLAG, I think for OSA later to be on the RPF whIle pregnant. Even later, to work for CC Int recruiting celebs. She was following Paulette Cooper. anyone seen that one?

Unfortunately the show was split in 4 on youtube and two of the segments were removed by copyright violations. Can anyone link me to that full episode?

I saw the episode originally when it aired. It was Nancy Many an ex Scientology crusader. The whole show was very well done. I am very much looking forward to watching Mark Rathbun on Wednesday at 10:00 on AT&T.

Phoenix8

Patron with Honors

I saw the episode originally when it aired. It was Nancy Many an ex Scientology crusader. The whole show was very well done. I am very much looking forward to watching Mark Rathbun on Wednesday at 10:00 on AT&T.

Yes! That's the one with Nancy Many. Thank you. Do you know where I can watch the full version? I look forward to the Rathbun one as well. I'm still catching up on a lot. I've been very detached from scn in general since I left the SO when I was 15.

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron

Yes! That's the one with Nancy Many. Thank you. Do you know where I can watch the full version? I look forward to the Rathbun one as well. I'm still catching up on a lot. I've been very detached from scn in general since I left the SO when I was 15.

It was a 4 part series. Part 3 and part 4 are on you tube under Scientology-Nancy Many's Story. I don't know where part 1 and 2 can be found.

CommunicatorIC

AV Club: You heard about Scientology? That’s messed up, right?

http://www.avclub.com/article/you-heard-about-scientology-s-messed-right-218063

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Top pick

Dangerous Persuasions (Investigation Discovery, 10 p.m.): What do you find more unbelievable: that there’s a television program titled Dangerous Persuasions or that that there’s a television channel called Investigation Discovery (which is dedicated to a whole list of television programs with ridiculous titles like Dangerous Persuasions)? Regardless, tonight is the second (SECOND) season premiere of this very real television program that exists on this very real television channel. The topic at hand? Well, with an episode title like “A Scientologist’s Escape,” you can probably use context clues, but we’ll give you a little something more.

Dangerous Persuasions “explores everyday people who were brainwashed into making remarkable sacrifices and committing unthinkable acts in the process.” In this particular case, it’s the story of Marty Rathbun. “Marty Rathbun signs a billion year contract with the Church of Scientology, convinced it will help cure his mentally ill brother. He climbs the ranks becoming one of its most elite officers. But Mark is increasingly exposed to the dark, violent side of the church.” You might also remember Marty from the recent HBO Scientology documentary Going Clear. That Scientology’s so hot right now.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Re: 4/15 10 PM EDT: Investigation Discovery Scientology Going Clear subject Mark Rath

Top pick

Dangerous Persuasions (Investigation Discovery, 10 p.m.): What do you find more unbelievable: that there’s a television program titled Dangerous Persuasions or that that there’s a television channel called Investigation Discovery (which is dedicated to a whole list of television programs with ridiculous titles like Dangerous Persuasions)? Regardless, tonight is the second (SECOND) season premiere of this very real television program that exists on this very real television channel. The topic at hand? Well, with an episode title like “A Scientologist’s Escape,” you can probably use context clues, but we’ll give you a little something more.

Dangerous Persuasions “explores everyday people who were brainwashed into making remarkable sacrifices and committing unthinkable acts in the process.” In this particular case, it’s the story of Marty Rathbun. “Marty Rathbun signs a billion year contract with the Church of Scientology, convinced it will help cure his mentally ill brother. He climbs the ranks becoming one of its most elite officers. But Mark is increasingly exposed to the dark, violent side of the church.” You might also remember Marty from the recent HBO Scientology documentary Going Clear. That Scientology’s so hot right now.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Re: 4/15 10 PM EDT: Investigation Discovery Scientology Going Clear subject Mark Rath

I found the Investigation Discovery Channel on Comcast using this handy look up tool:

http://www.investigationdiscovery.com/channel-finder/

Hopefully they will run the show a lot and at different times, like HBO is doing with Going Clear.

[update: the channel it gave was incorrect, it was C-SPAN. I am disappoint.]

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

Dangerous Persuasions (Investigation Discovery, 10 p.m.): What do you find more unbelievable: that there’s a television program titled Dangerous Persuasions or that that there’s a television channel called Investigation Discovery (which is dedicated to a whole list of television programs with ridiculous titles like Dangerous Persuasions)?

The name "Investigations Discovery" comes from that channel being a spin-off from "The Discovery Channel".

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron

I've got it queued up and will be watching. Was sad I missed the one on Nancy... Her story was unnerving. (I have her book.)

Added... Ya think it a tad odd that Marty doesn't mention/promote this show on his site? Think he may not be too proud of it for some reason?

CommunicatorIC

TONIGHT! 4/15 10 PM EDT: Marty Rathbun on Investigation Discovery

TONIGHT! 4/15 10 PM EDT: Marty Rathbun on Investigation Discovery.

Tony Ortega has an item.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/04/15/an...s-secret-lives-scientologys-finance-dictator/

TONIGHT: Marty Rathbun gets the ID treatment

Two years ago, we live-blogged the ID Network’s treatment of the Nancy Many story. The episode was drawn from Nancy’s book, My Billion-Year Contract, and it consisted of Nancy narrating her own story while recreated scenes played on screen. We thought it was a good show.

Tonight, the ID Network is back, this time giving former Scientology executive Mark “Marty” Rathbun the treatment. We gather that it will draw from his book Memoirs of a Scientology Warrior. We expect that it will be an interesting exploration of Rathbun’s background and dramatic escape from the Sea Org.

Rathbun has already gotten a lot of exposure, most recently from Alex Gibney’s HBO documentary Going Clear and the press avalanche that came with it, but also in an excellent Channel 4 UK film, Scientologists at War.

It will be interesting to see how those treatments differ from tonight’s show, which should be told more from Marty’s own view of his involvement in Scientology.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

Sassy

Patron Meritorious

Top pick

I am SO happy to find out this is showing at 10:00 EST tonight, so I've got it queued up on my DVR. I really enjoyed the episode about Nancy May & it lead me to buy her book which was also awesome. My husband sat with me while it was on & he kept saying "WTF??!!" over & over. After seeing Going Clear he says you can't make this shit up! :thumbsup:

Sassy

Patron Meritorious

I've got it queued up and will be watching. Was sad I missed the one on Nancy... Her story was unnerving. (I have her book.)

Added... Ya think it a tad odd that Marty doesn't mention/promote this show on his site? Think he may not be too proud of it for some reason?

I find that odd too. It was a bit dramatic (Nancy's episode) and of course had a lot of reenactments but Marty would know that, right? Or maybe did they make the episode without his blessing?? :confused2:
PS I have Nancy's book as well and it was a great read, I highly recommend it. :clap: