IRS official refers Amazon to Scientology as charity for donation 0.5% of purchases

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
IRS official refers Amazon to Scientology as charity for donation 0.5% of purchases.

[NOTE: I already created a separate thread arising out of the same Tony Ortega article. I don't care. This is too Xenu damned important and IMHO deserves its own thread and, more importantly, Google search entry.]

Tony Ortega: Scientology says it’s received $5.7 million from Google in advertising grants
http://tonyortega.org/2014/09/16/sc...from-google-in-advertising-grants/#more-16903

Relevant Transcript Excerpt:
And now let’s take Amazon. That company started a program called the Amazon Smile, whereby they donate .5 percent of all online purchases to a charity of your choice. Amazon somehow acquired a list of 200 Scientology-related entities, including 129 of our churches. We were pretty astounded, as we did not register with this program. So we contact them to find out where they got this list from. And we discovered that an IRS rep who had been disseminated to in the Portland ideal org had sent Amazon the list of our registered charities.

[Crowd: Laughter and applause]

So we’ve now come full circle with the IRS now referring to us as a tax exempt charity.
Amazon Smile Twitter:
https://twitter.com/amazonsmile
@amazonsmile

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Re: IRS official refers Amazon to Scientology as charity for donation 0.5% of purchas

http://smile.amazon.com/about/ref=smi_se_ft_abt_saas

If you look down about 1/2 way down the page, it says they have about 1 million charity options to chose from. Probably got the list from the IRS as the records are public.

Scientology has an odd manner of assigning cause where there is none.

CommunicatorIC

Re: IRS official refers Amazon to Scientology as charity for donation 0.5% of purchas

Probably got the list from the IRS as the records are public.
That is not what the transcript says.

The transcript says:
We were pretty astounded, as we did not register with this program.
and
we discovered that an IRS rep who had been disseminated to in the Portland ideal org had sent Amazon the list of our registered charities.
This makes it clear that:

(a) it was not the case that the Church of Scientology reached out and obtained a publicly available list of charities from the IRS, but instead;

(b) "an IRS rep who had been disseminated to" had the initiative, and made the affirmative effort, to send Amazon a list of Scientology registered charities, and only Scientology registered charities, for the Amazon Smile program. Note the use of the word "our" in the phrase "our registered charities."

Bea Kiddo

Crusader

That is not what the transcript says.

The transcript says: and This makes it clear that:

(a) it was not the case that the Church of Scientology reached out and obtained a publicly available list of charities from the IRS, but instead;

(b) "an IRS rep who had been disseminated to" had the initiative, and made the affirmative effort, to send Amazon a list of Scientology registered charities, and only Scientology registered charities, for the Amazon Smile program. Note the use of the word "our" in the phrase "our registered charities."

Yes. I did read the transcript. My point was it really looks like she just made that up. It does not add up. I looked deeper into AmazonSmile and it says any charity listed on Guidestar qualifies, but they have to register. If a representative from Scn does not register each and every one of those listed charitable organizations, they will never see any money from Amazon anyway.

https://org.amazon.com/ref=smi_se_saas_org_org

The link that explains what I wrote.

I am not countering you. I am making conversation and opening up some questions on this. If you read up on AmazonSmile, just because they are listed does not mean jack poopy. And it is not unlike Scn dissem people to make things up and make it sound like they did it somehow.

If you go to AmazonSmile and put in "Scientology", it lists a ton of different Scn entities, mainly local orgs. All of those have to register or nothing will ever become of it.

It is just a PR line for the Scn public to think that they are expanding and being recognized when it really is public information, easily accessed. That was my point. I doubt her story.

CommunicatorIC

Yes. I did read the transcript. My point was it really looks like she just made that up. It does not add up. I looked deeper into AmazonSmile and it says any charity listed on Guidestar qualifies, but they have to register. If a representative from Scn does not register each and every one of those listed charitable organizations, they will never see any money from Amazon anyway.

https://org.amazon.com/ref=smi_se_saas_org_org

The link that explains what I wrote.

I am not countering you. I am making conversation and opening up some questions on this. If you read up on AmazonSmile, just because they are listed does not mean jack poopy. And it is not unlike Scn dissem people to make things up and make it sound like they did it somehow.

If you go to AmazonSmile and put in "Scientology", it lists a ton of different Scn entities, mainly local orgs. All of those have to register or nothing will ever become of it.

It is just a PR line for the Scn public to think that they are expanding and being recognized when it really is public information, easily accessed. That was my point. I doubt her story.
First, I apologize if my response was rude or abrupt.

I do see your point that the speaker could have been lying through her teeth for PR purposes, and I don't discount it.

I do remain troubled, however, by the possibility that her statement is true -- i.e., that an IRS official "who had been disseminated to" made the effort to reach out to the Amazon Smile program (and, although unstated, perhaps the COS at or near the same time). I really do think that is possible if the IRS rep had been sufficiently "handled" -- love bombed, treated like a VIP, etc.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader

First, I apologize if my response was rude or abrupt.

I do see your point that the speaker could have been lying through her teeth for PR purposes, and I don't discount it.

I do remain troubled, however, by the possibility that her statement is true -- i.e., that an IRS official "who had been disseminated to" made the effort to reach out to the Amazon Smile program (and, although unstated, perhaps the COS at or near the same time). I really do think that is possible if the IRS rep had been sufficiently "handled" -- love bombed, treated like a VIP, etc.

I suppose it could be true, but there is also the other aspect of all this that makes no sense:

People working for the IRS would be considered Illegal PC's and not really given much attention, and possibly even scoffed at local org level. LRH policy clearly states that they are not to be processed. I understand that they have not said anything about this person being processed, but I DOUBT that they were treated special in any way in an org. It really does not make sense.

Who knows? It probably worked to get the coffers filled and that is all that matters to them at this point.

freethinker

Sponsor

Brandy says that that Scientology has expanded 47 times since this happened. Thirty years ago when I got into Scientology they claimed 8 million members.

So lets say they should have at least doubled in thirty years. That would mean that just prior to this latest campaign they had 16 million.

At 47 times expansion we now have 752 million Scientologists.

You should run into someone with a Scientology logo on their person at least once a day in any city with an org.

Scientologists would make up nearly one seventh of the worlds population.

Is there any truth in anything Brandy said?

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron

Amazon friends don't let friends "donate" to $cientology.

Simple as that.

Use the innertubez. Spread the word.

:)

freethinker

Sponsor

Right after the "War is Over" event where the tax exempt status was reported, there was a Scientology Policy Directive released with a slew of others that gave the steps for anyone from the government to get on the Bridge. It included OW writeups and a special sec check list just for IRS/DOJ . it was posted on ESMB by someone a few years back but because they gave Scientology tax exemption they were no longer the enemy and could be allowed to do processing and training. They also changed the WIS book to reflect that the IRS was OK now that the War was Over. So the IRS can be disseminated to and do services on the Bridge AFTER they do the steps required on the SPD.

Not many people know this but unfortunately it is true.

You may be able to find it on Wikileaks under Scientology Policy Directives.

I suppose it could be true, but there is also the other aspect of all this that makes no sense:

People working for the IRS would be considered Illegal PC's and not really given much attention, and possibly even scoffed at local org level. LRH policy clearly states that they are not to be processed. I understand that they have not said anything about this person being processed, but I DOUBT that they were treated special in any way in an org. It really does not make sense.

Who knows? It probably worked to get the coffers filled and that is all that matters to them at this point.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader

Right after the "War is Over" event where the tax exempt status was reported, there was a Scientology Policy Directive released with a slew of others that gave the steps for anyone from the government to get on the Bridge. It included OW writeups and a special sec check list just for IRS/DOJ . it was posted on ESMB by someone a few years back but because they gave Scientology tax exemption they were no longer the enemy and could be allowed to do processing and training. They also changed the WIS book to reflect that the IRS was OK now that the War was Over. So the IRS can be disseminated to and do services on the Bridge AFTER they do the steps required on the SPD.

Not many people know this but unfortunately it is true.

You may be able to find it on Wikileaks under Scientology Policy Directives.

Wow. I did not know this. And I was a Case Supervisor from that time forward until 2004. Being over OT Eligibility, I would have NEVER allowed someone from the IRS to go onto the OT Levels. And I would have probably told them they could not receive further processing.

I don't think that SPD was implemented much, because it was not allowed on the PAC Base for sure, at service level (I was at CCI and ASHO on technical lines for quite some time).

Who the heck knows?

CommunicatorIC

Wow. I did not know this. And I was a Case Supervisor from that time forward until 2004. Being over OT Eligibility, I would have NEVER allowed someone from the IRS to go onto the OT Levels. And I would have probably told them they could not receive further processing.
If you had done that -- and I have no doubt you would have -- I suspect what would have happened is as follows:

You would have been overruled and "corrected" -- especially if the IRS person was someone OSA was trying to "disseminate to," "handle," love-bomb, brown-nose, etc. of if they had thought of it afterwards. Knowing the COS, you would have received a SRA / facerip for not following a SPD that neither you, nor anyone else on PAC base, had very heard of or had reason to hear of.

Seriously, how could you not follow the SPD? How could you cause such a flap? Where you unaware of the War Is Over event? :duh:

CommunicatorIC

Not to change focus, but to add to it:

Keep in mind, regardless of any involvement by an IRS representative, the Church of Scientology and its related front group entities are members of the Amazon Smile program, and thus can receive 0.5% of purchases made through the program.

Yet another result of the IRS ruling giving the COS and its related front group entities tax exempt status.

R2-45

This resulted in Scientology being recognized on Twitter as a fully authorized entity, something that we’ve been trying to accomplish for the past seven years.

Pull the plug.

freethinker

Sponsor

Their perception of recognition may be wholly different from what the perception actually is.

The comments on Twitter were mostly negative toward Scientology but Brandy probably wasn't shown that section.

Statistics of 70 times in any area of endeavor is nearly impossible.

Pull the plug.

freethinker

Sponsor

Chances of someone from the IRS getting onlines through the usual lines is probably quite slim and regular auditors would probably not be allowed to even sec check one.

What better way to hold on to your tax exempt status than to sec check government employees with high security clearances.

I don't think that SPD was implemented much, because it was not allowed on the PAC Base for sure, at service level (I was at CCI and ASHO on technical lines for quite some time).

Who the heck knows?

BunnySkull

http://smile.amazon.com/about/ref=smi_se_ft_abt_saas

If you look down about 1/2 way down the page, it says they have about 1 million charity options to chose from. Probably got the list from the IRS as the records are public.

Scientology has an odd manner of assigning cause where there is none.

I agree, the cult specializes in spewing PR bullshit that can't be verified.

They also stated that the founder of twitter promoted TWTH. When in fact if you saw his post, the gist of it was "goddamn my hometown is already dealing with this awful mess and now the loony UFO cult is in down promoting itself? WTF??"

The IRS provides a list of 501 c3 & 4 charities, which all qualify for these donation programs. Taking that fact its easy to extrapolate it into a total fairy tale about the IRS agents reaching for the tech and backing the cult as a wonderful charity to major corporations. I'd bet $10,000 in NEVER happened.

Based on the all the misleading statements and outright lies made in Brandy's speech there's no reason to believe this single one would actually have any truth to it either.

I vote total, 100% bullshit.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader

If you had done that -- and I have no doubt you would have -- I suspect what would have happened is as follows:

You would have been overruled and "corrected" -- especially if the IRS person was someone OSA was trying to "disseminate to," "handle," love-bomb, brown-nose, etc. of if they had thought of it afterwards. Knowing the COS, you would have received a SRA / facerip for not following a SPD that neither you, nor anyone else on PAC base, had very heard of or had reason to hear of.

Seriously, how could you not follow the SPD? How could you cause such a flap? Where you unaware of the War Is Over event? :duh:

LOL!!!

Yes, I actually ATTENDED the War is Over event. I was there live. There were not that many people there. The video of the event shows full stadium, but the seats were all blacked out. I would estimate about 5000 people max were there, most of them Sea Org members and staff.

I never ran into what you are saying here, but if they wanted the person to be audited (no pun intended... I mean Scn audited, not IRS audited!), I suppose they would be. But they would give the folder to one of the puppet C/Ses who did what they were told. I would have refused to C/S it and someone else would come along and sign on the dotted line. There were plenty of C/Ses who changed every time a new issue came out, even though they were supposed to follow LRH only, and he died in 86. That is a whole other subject....

But yes, there are and were puppet C/Ses who would let someone get audited. But not if OSA told them, only if an RTC Rep told them. Of course you would never see any RTC anything in the folder itself. It would all be verbal.