What's new

Irv Lande Interview - Dianetics, L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology, Freud

Megalomaniac

Silver Meritorious Patron
I like these interviews with old-timers. Irv seems authentic, not trying to sell me anything. He's pro-Dianetics, but the little bit he says about the idea of becoming a church to avoid taxes would put him in bad favor with CoS for sure.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Becoming a 'church' isn't only related to evading taxes, although that's certainly a major element. It was and is also a way of avoiding the kind of oversight and liability that Scientology (and Dianetics) might face if sold as a 'therapy'. That's especially important since, as a therapy, Scientology (and Dianetics) are primarily self-serving, rather than for the good of the 'client' (unless, as Scientology does, you define the 'good of the client' as 'what's good for Scientology'.)

Zinj

Megalomaniac

Becoming a 'church' isn't only related to evading taxes, although that's certainly a major element. It was and is also a way of avoiding the kind of oversight and liability that Scientology (and Dianetics) might face if sold as a 'therapy'.
:yes:

That's especially important since, as a therapy, Scientology (and Dianetics) are primarily self-serving, rather than for the good of the 'client' (unless, as Scientology does, you define the 'good of the client' as 'what's good for Scientology'.)
I think that depends on the individual delivering and the individual receiving the 'therapy'. In too many cases, though, you're right.

LongTimeGone

It seems obvious to me that Irv is still living in 1951 and knows nothing about Scientology.

He uses Dianetics and is apparently a Squirrel practitioner.
Perhaps the very first Squirrel!!

Does he make "Clears"?

Perhaps his PC's actually obtain the attributes of a "clear" as spelt out in DMSMH and so he doesn't need to have them pass the CCRD. (Joke)

The fact that he says that he thinks Hubbard was a genius doesn't impress me - I thought that for a while as well, but I'm over it now.

D.

The fact that he says that he thinks Hubbard was a genius doesn't impress me - I thought that for a while as well, but I'm over it now.

D.

Did you know Hubbard personally yourself as Irv clearly did?

Many of those individuals who I have met or known who were themselves intelligent and had worked with Hubbard had a very high opinion of his native intelligence. They didn't necessarily admire his character, in that mixed views predominate. Still most saw him as an unusually intelligent and capable individual whatever his other faults.

Mark A. Baker

LongTimeGone

Did you know Hubbard personally yourself as Irv clearly did?

Many of those individuals who I have met or known who were themselves intelligent and had worked with Hubbard had a very high opinion of his native intelligence. They didn't necessarily admire his character, in that mixed views predominate. Still most saw him as an unusually intelligent and capable individual whatever his other faults.

Mark A. Baker

One doesn't have to personally know someone to have an opinion of that person. Unless that is against some Mark A. Baker law.

I sat through the entire Briefing course and some of the stuff was clever.

Some was the ramblings of an unfettered lunatic. [That star wasn't burning because someone forgot to light it, comes to mind]

I didn't know Einstein either but I know he WAS a genius.

I don't know George W Bush but I know he certainly wasn't a genius.

Just because someone who knew a person says they thought he was intelligent is no recommendation.

Oh bugger, I've just broken my own rule about not arguing with a mug.

LTG

AnonKat

Crusader
Becoming a 'church' isn't only related to evading taxes, although that's certainly a major element. It was and is also a way of avoiding the kind of oversight and liability that Scientology (and Dianetics) might face if sold as a 'therapy'. That's especially important since, as a therapy, Scientology (and Dianetics) are primarily self-serving, rather than for the good of the 'client' (unless, as Scientology does, you define the 'good of the client' as 'what's good for Scientology'.)

Zinj

Why yes you are right Zinj :biggrin: