What's new

Is consciousness a miracle?

Veda

Sponsor
l.jpg

Is our natural state one of amazed awe and bliss?

Are we half asleep? Preventing us from enjoying that amazed awe and bliss, or is it impractical, and thus ignored, as an unwanted distraction, as we go about our routine activities?

Are we in danger of losing touch with this state?

Do you ever rejoice in amazement at the simple fact of your own consciousness? And the consciousness that surrounds you?

Or are these silly ideas?

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
From this conscious moment I am inclined to say it is akin to a multi-dimensional mobius strip imploding and exploding.

Now that I have finished my 16 hour workday, I will go to another dimension and reflect this reflection. The chicken and the egg.

Yep! Truly a miracle.:yes:

Lone Star

Crusader
l.jpg

Are we half asleep? Preventing us from enjoying that amazed awe and bliss, or is it impractical, and thus ignored, as an unwanted distraction, as we go about our routine activities?

Do you ever rejoice in amazement at the simple fact of your own consciousness? And the consciousness that surrounds you?

If it is our natural state I lost it at a very young age.

No it's not a silly idea.

This is a bit abstract, but it is my understanding of the way things are for me and the way I see that it is for others from my perspective. It is 'real' to me.

If anything is miraculous, it's that. (conciousness in the context of the OP)

I sometimes use the word 'conciousness' and sometimes the word 'life' - which I consider to be that which manifests everything, animate and in-animate as well as thought. Whatever I am is a manifestation of it, which has to be 'referred back to' from the usual words I use, or perceptions I have, as a contemplative technique.
That way I can deconstruct ideas of "self", from name, ideas, etc, to some degree.
When I deconstruct enough, I get to 'there' or 'that' for which words cannot be used.

'Source' seems the most appropriate word because 'source' implies 'coming from' -and by extension 'manifesting' from' - and yet need not imply a 'thing' -if one uses enough mental or mystical devices, including the device of deconstructing any meaning laden thought, so that the map is never mistaken for the territory.

'Source' as an idea/word, has been putrified to some extent by Hubbard's appropriation to his ego, of what can only be beyond anyone's ego. 'Source' in the way I am talking about it can never belong to me or anyone, or by definition to any thing about a person that is manifest. Saying that it is miraculous seems right.

If what I have presented above, was something I could experience permanently, whatever conditions I were to find myself in, that would be acceptable to me:)
but it is a lot more real than it used to be, and seemingly becoming more and more so. I am always aware though, that life is full of unknowns......... it's good to feel uplifted when life is stress free and the weather is nice, but I want to keep learning how to feel the miraculousness when things are not going so well. More to do.

rich

Silver Meritorious Patron
Yeah.
Yup.
Yes, it is. That's why babies are valuable.Because they become concsious.

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
l.jpg

It's a miracle that I read this post.

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
To throw a spanner in the works of all who have bankrupted/devoted/prayed/ommed or meditated themselves trying to find that joyful feeling of higher consciousness, oneness...

My migraine aura is a peaceful, blissful, soarining, knowingness, oneness and ecstatic feeling of being alive on all levels. No effort on my part :p

It can last minutes to hours before the pain starts and I am reminded that I am very much in a physical body. It has been this way from childhood.

All of which suggests to me that spiritual "high" is merely a chemical imbalance of the physical body. Not saying the chemical imbalance can't be induced by some emotional or relaxation state. Just that the feeling comes from a physical change in the physical body.

No, otherwise awe and bliss would be the rule not the exception in all cultures in all societies throughout history.

We are physical beings in a physical world. Moments of joy and bliss are the emotional and spiritual equivalent to the physical orgasm. It would lose its appeal if it was 24/7. People who determinedly chase this dream are half asleep in their physical world. They are in real danger of missing their precious physical moments.

I think people are in danger when they try to capture the state as a permanent addition to their lives.

Not silly, why wouldn't people want to repeat a good feeling?

It is silly if trying to capture it as a permanent thing.

And those who claim they have achieved this permanent state are arrogant fools who become liars to themselves and others in an attempt to keep up the pretense.

Hatshepsut

Crusader
l.jpg

Ah serendipity

Every day I spend 5 or 6 hours with a dog who nearly died last year. He made a miraculous recovery. He is a huge black shepherd. I have mad a concentrated effort to take life as it comes, moment to moment with him. The neighbors think I am daft out there in the yard, in the rain, at the sunset on the lake, chasing squirrels, finding just the right sized stick that still has some delicious sap! :clap: All day long our motto is 'Follow Your Bliss'. Thankyou Joseph Campbell. :coolwink:

photo 1.jpgphot 2.jpgphoto3.jpgphot 6.jpgphoto 4.jpgphot 5.jpg

Last edited:

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
It's a miracle that I read this thread (all your fault Roland, I wanted to see what you'd said).

:biggrin:

The existence of the Divine is not obvious. However, if it were obvious to the extent that Jesus and God did cartwheels on our rooftops then I would be there trying to sneak a chance out the window to hit one of them in the bollocks with my air pistol pellet.

Hatshepsut

Crusader
When you are dead you are waxing No consciousness . Your perceptions completely shut off. Whether this condition is by your own postulate, or mind machinery kicking in on you, or the Archons denying you perception of yourself AS YOURSELF, you're OUT. To then later find yourself vibrantly perceiving, fresh as Spring....Yes, that's a miracle! The game of AM and Am NOT.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
"Apparently there is a great discovery or insight which our culture is deliberately designed to supress, distort and ignore. That is that Nature is some kind of minded entity. That Nature is not simply the random flight of atoms through electromagnetic fields. Nature is not the empty, despiritualized lumpen matter that we inherit from modern physics. But it is instead a kind of intelligence, a kind of mind."

- Terence McKenna

That feels true to me.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
The existence of the Divine is not obvious. However, if it were obvious to the extent that Jesus and God did cartwheels on our rooftops then I would be there trying to sneak a chance out the window to hit one of them in the bollocks with my air pistol pellet.

:lol::lol::lol:

Cool ... and whichever one you miss, I'll have a go at (nothing like a bit of teamwork).

:giggle:

Gadfly

Crusader
Like anything, HOW you view and consider something is YOUR attitude and viewpoint. You ADD that to the mix. Whether it is a view of disdain, dislike, OR liking, appreciation or bliss. Either way, you ADD that by your own attitudes and views about all-that-is.

To view something as a "miracle" is to give it extra-added importance and meaning and significance, as if it is something special, beyond the ordinary.

To me, any state of consciousness always involves additives - attitudes, considerations and agreements that YOU bring to the table and "insert" into your experiences of all-that-is. That is just as true for the fellow who is wallowing in some state of bliss, and who feels a living love and appreciation for all-that-is, in a state of bliss.

I have no doubt that one can experience unbounded bliss, and that one can ratchet up ones appreciation of life, consciousness, or anything in the Created Universe and "see things as" a "miracle". I see such states as a "step along the way". It is good to have such experiences. These are valuable, but the are NOT senior to anything else. These are just another way for a limited, finite and temporary part of all-that-is to experience some slice of the big pie of Life.

I don't think there is ANY "natural state". That is an assumption, and a big one at that. I would say that one handles life, or lives a much more enjoyable and satisfying life, if and when one does manage to exist often in a state of amazed awe and bliss. I have worked towards that, and I, more often than not, exist in a state of aware and conscious appreciation (often bordering on awe) of all-that-is.

Yesterday I took a walk in the forest with my dog. I take a walk in the mountains almost every day. I sat for about 10 minutes and quietly watched a small section of ground where some large black ants were hustling and bustling about. I was truly amazed at the individual body designs, and how they operated as a "group". I then turned and looked at a section of the woods, which contained an amazing variety of trees, brush, weeds, birds, and so forth. For as long as I sat and quietly looked, I was deeply amazed that I was so fortunate to be able to "be here" at this time and place, to be able to share in the magnificence of it all. I was also amazed about every thing I placed my gaze upon.

And, to me, it is all magnificent. From the smallest atom to the largest galaxy and universe. From the individual parts to the many various sections that operate as incredibly complex orchestras of detailed interactions. The patterns and organization at every level of creation amazes me.

To me there is little that is NOT "amazing".

I am not saying that such a view is "better" or "right" or fundamentally "closer to God", or anything. But, I like it and it works for me.

Oh, consciousness is a very relative thing. No two people are conscious of anything in the same way. Ones consciousness of anything is wrapped up in ones unique viewpoints about a great many things. Always. If one experiments with meditations, Buddhism and various forms of Hindu "mind tech", one can loosen it all up and disentangle the FACT of consciousness from all of the things and ideas one is conscious of. When one becomes fully conscious of ones own consciousness ("awareness of awareness" in Scientology terms), without any external "objects of consciousness", it seems to me that only then does one get anywhere near a direct experience and observation of what "it is all about". One can think and study and read and talk about consciousness and awareness forever, but until one actually involves oneself with various practices designed to specifically bring about the unique state of "being conscious of consciousness itself', it will largely remain "all talk". That is why "quieting the mind" and various meditations have value. They can lead to that. And, sadly, Scientology rarely leads to that.

But, to me, it is ALL A MIRACLE. And, my awareness of that is fairly stable. But, I am also aware that I do ADD THAT to the mix. I choose to see things with and from THAT "viewpoint". In a very real sense I CREATE that viewpoint and experience orf reality (as does anyone - whether they know it or not).

Even if there is no "God", or "Universal Intelligence" behind it all, even if it is all science and evolution and untold accidents along the way, even then it is STILL all amazing and I remain in awe. Interestingly, some deeply religious people AND some scientists BOTH feel a deep awe and amazement for all life, creation, the universe, etc. While they differ in much else, they do often share THAT! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I've really come to the conclusion that objective/subjective, inside/outside are all inside. As above, so below. The objective appears to be outside, and that's Maya. But really, there is no inside or outside.

One is inside
then outside what one has been inside
One feels empty
because there is nothing inside oneself
One tries to get inside oneself
that inside of the outside
that one was once inside
once one tries to get oneself inside what
one is outside:
to eat and to be eaten
to have the outside inside and to be
inside the outside