Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
. . .
My two cents . . . .

There are some things in life that you just walk away from and never
look back. A divorce, a bad job, a bad business deal. Part of your life
might have been ruined by these situations, yes. How much is it worth
to soil maybe a decade more of your life in depressing litigation and
ongoing upsets and a black cloud hanging over your head?

I'd just write it off as "life-lesson learned" and move on to better things.

That's what I've done in most situations. Life is just too short.
Of course it all depends on specifics but I agree with this advice. I call it "paying the tuition in the school of life". Sometimes you just have to accept the cost and move on.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
It is good advice. Unless a critic is also a lawyer, then give critics a miss. I only know of a few who are both, but none have taken on Scientology. I know Ray Jeffries is no fan, and a good lawyer, but I wouldn't call him a "critic". It would be bad for him to appear too biased.
Wouldn't Graham Berry fall into the category of being both a lawyer and a critic that has taken on Scientology?

Last edited:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Didn't it take twenty years of court battles and lawyering though?
The stress and distraction might have absorbed two two decades
of his life. Was it worth it? Just sayin'.
Again, this was not Mike Rinder's advice.

I don't know why you guys keep dancing around this.

AryaZ

Seeking truth and retribution
Realistically speaking, if what they did was to tell other Scientologists that continuing to associate with you would adversely affect their standing in the Church, then winning may be unlikely.

If you could PROVE they spread false and defamatory stories about you, that's another story, but if all they did was say that you were no longer in good standing, it would be difficult to make a case.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Lol...

Actually, I had/have proof of defamation in writing from a dozen different sources.

AryaZ

There's more to it than that. It's not like you find an attorney willing to take it on (on a contingency fee basis, no money upfront), give him all the dox he needs, say go, get on with your life, then a year or ten down the road that's the end of it one way or the other.

Until it's resolved you're in the cult's crosshairs, which, depending on how dangerous/annoying they consider you are (and what else is on their plate) will probably involve a lot of aggravation and mental/emotional stress.

Paul

I could possibly have done a go fund me for legal fees like the Headley's did. But, maybe that only works if you're a high level ex so. I guess getting followed by PI's, harrassed, losing your business, reputation, house, car etc after 20+ years of mortgaging your life away, dedicating 5years on staff
doesn't compare to being in the hole.

I tell you trying to start over with no support system at 50 is pretty stressful.

Yeah, I guess I should just put it all behind me. But I'm not! I feel that the ppl like MR who lied and ran OSA ops for 22 years have a long way to go to be forgiven.

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Just curious, when I entered the search terms "AryaZ Scientology" into a search engine to see any other postings on the internet, I see Alanzo's blog comes up as the first item.

Have you told of this experience on his blog as well?

Aryaz.PNG

AryaZ

I have not. Weird, perhaps the search is pulling the "A and Z" from Alanzos plus the keyword "Scientology" or maybe it was copied over by someone else.

Why do you ask?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Just curious, when I entered the search terms "AryaZ Scientology" into a search engine to see any other postings on the internet, I see Alanzo's blog comes up as the first item.

Have you told of this experience on his blog as well?

View attachment 15539
It also pulls up Mike Rinder's blog and Scientology org.

Why aren't you mentioning those too, PTS4?

exbritscino

Patron with Honors
I successfully sued the church for return of a considerable sum of "donations".
In my opinion it all depends on what you are suing them for, which country you are taking your case to, and how much evidence you are able to get against them.
In my case they spent a considerable amount of time, and their money ultimately, in trying to get my case struck off, rather than fight the case.
In the end they gave in because they didn't want their dirty laundry aired in a high court populated by media reporters.
Speaking for my case I would say that it was like one big game of poker. Who has the biggest financial availability? Who can produce the biggest amount of dirt against the other participant? Who has the most to lose, or gain?
I had nothing to lose and everything to gain, and I was fortunate enough to have financial backing.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I successfully sued the church for return of a considerable sum of "donations".
In my opinion it all depends on what you are suing them for, which country you are taking your case to, and how much evidence you are able to get against them.
In my case they spent a considerable amount of time, and their money ultimately, in trying to get my case struck off, rather than fight the case.
In the end they gave in because they didn't want their dirty laundry aired in a high court populated by media reporters.
Speaking for my case I would say that it was like one big game of poker. Who has the biggest financial availability? Who can produce the biggest amount of dirt against the other participant? Who has the most to lose, or gain?
I had nothing to lose and everything to gain, and I was fortunate enough to have financial backing.
Yes, it's a combination of whether they think they'll lose, versus wanting to maintain a reputation of "nobody wins by suing Scn".

Spending $100K fighting a $10K claim is worth it, to them, if it results in discouraging the hundreds of people with similar claims from coming forward.

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, it's a combination of whether they think they'll lose, versus wanting to maintain a reputation of "nobody wins by suing Scn".

Spending $100K fighting a $10K claim is worth it, to them, if it results in discouraging the hundreds of people with similar claims from coming forward.

Maybe, but it's also possible that a class action suit - where those hundreds of people pool their resources - against the CofS might succeed whereas lots of individual ones might not.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
What's the point anyway?
When a new poster comes on I'll sometimes google their screen name just to see if they've got a blog, videos, or other writings on the net.

When Alanzo's blog came up as the first item in the search engine I figured you posted on his website, but didn't want to take the time to search.