What's new

Is prescription medication withheld on the Purification Rundown?

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
Is prescription medication withheld on the Purification Rundown? I know it is on the Narconon programme but what about the Purification Rundown?

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron
It would make sense to do so, being that you are trying to rid yourself of all toxins and drugs in the body.

But the tech kinda contradicts itself at times. I mean why is this person even on the purif with an illness to require meds? That's against pts tech to receive ANY auditing while ill. I never understood how this was done in the org, especially "ots" like dm who have gone thru the levels and still have asthma. Pts tech states ANY AND ALL ILLNESSES STEMS ONLY FROM A PTS CONDITION (not verbatim but it is in caps on the that pts hcob).

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Roland — I would suggest asking an experienced Purif C/S, like Bea.

There's nothing obvious in the main Purif RD HCOB about it one way or the other, and it is easy to have opinions.

I suspect that it is administered different ways in different places, some Purif C/Ses allowing pcs on with medical conditions requiring daily meds and some not allowing it. That's MY opinion. :)

Paul

renegade

How did you get that info on the Narconon witholding prescription meds?

This could put Narconon in a compromising position by giving medical advice contrary to the advice of the person's personal Physician.

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
How did you get that info on the Narconon witholding prescription meds?

This could put Narconon in a compromising position by giving medical advice contrary to the advice of the person's personal Physician.

There are plenty of stories about it. They definitely stop you from taking "psyche drugs" such as epilepsy and bipolar disorder medication. "Drug free lives" means exactly that as in no drugs of any kind.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Is prescription medication withheld on the Purification Rundown? I know it is on the Narconon programme but what about the Purification Rundown?

What kind of prescription meds would you mean?

An antibiotic would be ok, with the Case Supervisor approval. But most others, no.

renegade

Thanks RB for that answer. I have heard of that too. Public on course were also told similar "rules" to be on study. Student guide to acceptable behavior?

Hey Bea, can you explain how some public who were deemed pts or ill could still receive "auditing" on the Purif? Or even get on their OT levels while having an illness.

smartone

My Own Boss

When I was on the Purif in 1985 at Saint Hill, I knew a lady who had to keep taking her blood pressure medication while on her Purif.

She did the usual doctor visit before routing onto it and got the okay to go ahead.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
When I was on the Purif in 1985 at Saint Hill, I knew a lady who had to keep taking her blood pressure medication while on her Purif.

She did the usual doctor visit before routing onto it and got the okay to go ahead.

I love the stupidity in that - as if anyone in Scientology was qualified to decide whether someone should keep taking their blood pressure meds. Totally unqualified idiots who's only claim to an education is to have read some bullshit by Hubbard!! Oh the fucking hubris.

still here

Patron with Honors
This reminded me that before my purif I saw a Scn doctor (he was mad as a hatter)
He did the medical checks in his business (he no longer had a practice - but was qualified)
He liked me - if he didn't he would do the blood tests with anything convenient - pen knib, a paper clip once for a real unfortunate!

Once I completed I was at SH when he phoned saying the hospital had found something odd in my blood and I must go for an appointment! He said he thought I had TB. (I felt fine)

I ended up seeing Doctors and consultants for 12 months, having every test known to man, as they said my white blood cell count was too high, possible leukemia?
After 12 months, they discovered I had a folic acid deficency.

I wondered since if this was all caused by the purif?
Lots of fun.....(I have been fine since)

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
I love the stupidity in that - as if anyone in Scientology was qualified to decide whether someone should keep taking their blood pressure meds. Totally unqualified idiots who's only claim to an education is to have read some bullshit by Hubbard!! Oh the fucking hubris.

I remember a Sea Org member who had high blood pressure and would not take the meds for religious reasons or something. So we researched it out (yeah, read the Adele Davis book) and discovered that potassium was supposed to lower blood pressure. So she took an entire bottle of it every day. I am talking about 250 tablets of 100 mg each. And it did bring down her blood pressure to at least a decent range. (If I remember right, I think her name was Josie Mellor).

A couple of years later I heard she passed away from a heart attack. So sad. I bet the potassium stopped working, or she stopped taking it. But she was never on blood pressure meds.

Not Purif related really, but interesting info re: the cult and vitamins.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I never understood that sort of attitude. This may have been a reason that I was continuously in lower conditions. :) My father was a doc, and I am quite aware of the effectiveness of modern medicine, when you can afford it and when dealing with competent people, which a high percentage of medical folks are. Even if the thesis that we're "thetans" is true, we would be inhabiting bodies whose condition strongly effects and limits our capabilities in the physical universe. It's tough, when you're dead, to enjoy a good cup of coffee.

G

Gottabrain

I remember a Sea Org member who had high blood pressure and would not take the meds for religious reasons or something. So we researched it out (yeah, read the Adele Davis book) and discovered that potassium was supposed to lower blood pressure. So she took an entire bottle of it every day. I am talking about 250 tablets of 100 mg each. And it did bring down her blood pressure to at least a decent range. (If I remember right, I think her name was Josie Mellor).

A couple of years later I heard she passed away from a heart attack. So sad. I bet the potassium stopped working, or she stopped taking it. But she was never on blood pressure meds.

Excessive potassium (like that) would cause elevated levels of potassium in the blood (hyperkalaemia) which makes the heart rhythm irregular (arrhythmia).http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperkalemia

That's even worse than high blood pressure and a medical emergency that results in heart attacks. Potassium doesn't REGULATE heartbeat. High blood pressure compensated by huge, regular doses of potassium would have the effect of taking both barbiturates and speed at the same time - fast heartbeat, slow heartbeat so irregular heartbeat - very stressful on the heart and too easy for it to miss. Huge doses of potassium taken regularly like that is extremely dangerous and probably caused her heart attack.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
(If I remember right, I think her name was Josie Mellor).

I remember Josie from Saint Hill. She was married to Myles Mellor. Interesting because Myles was (is) a real bright guy (Google the name — he got out of the SO around 2001 and makes a living compiling crosswords) and Josie, well, wasn't so smart.

Paul

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)

Adele Davis was an idiot who researched about as well as Hubbard and got sued for her 'advice'

When she stuck to the blindingly obvious (eat balanced food, eat natural and all the stuff you can probably get from eating at a Hare Krishna restaurant) she was OK. But the "research" she claimed - most of it is utter hogwash.

did anyone actually research the effect of elevated potassium in the blood or what actually caused high blood pressure? I am willing to bet not. Not ragging on you Bea but the just the attitude of "Scientology"

Hyperkalemia is common; it is diagnosed in up to 8% of hospitalized patients in the U.S. Fortunately, most patients have mild hyperkalemia (which is usually well tolerated). However, any condition causing even mild hyperkalemia should be treated to prevent progression into more severe hyperkalemia. Extremely high levels of potassium in the blood (severe hyperkalemia) can lead to cardiac arrest and death. When not recognized and treated properly, severe hyperkalemia results in a mortality rate of about 67%.

If she persisted in following the asinine advice she got then it was probably what killed her.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Adele Davis was an idiot who researched about as well as Hubbard and got sued for her 'advice'

When she stuck to the blindingly obvious (eat balanced food, eat natural and all the stuff you can probably get from eating at a Hare Krishna restaurant) she was OK. But the "research" she claimed - most of it is utter hogwash.

did anyone actually research the effect of elevated potassium in the blood or what actually caused high blood pressure? I am willing to bet not. Not ragging on you Bea but the just the attitude of "Scientology"

If she persisted in following the asinine advice she got then it was probably what killed her.

I feel horrible about this.

I remember talking with Dr Denk about it and he just kind of shrugged it off and said if it helped, go ahead and do it.

I think she stopped the potassium after 3 or 4 months. But she took many bottles of it.