ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Is the ARC Triangle of Any Use?

Discussion in 'Scientology Technology' started by Demented Hubbatd, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Demented Hubbatd

Demented Hubbatd Patron with Honors

Even when I was a Scientologist, I was sure that the ARC concept is completely useless because Hubbard wrote that a Clear has perfect communication skills. I thought, "The ARC concept is correct, of course, but why would I waste my time studying it? Instead I should become a Clear."

But several Clears told me that the ARC triangle helped them a lot. To me their assertion was illogical.

Did this concept help anyone?

2. WildKat

WildKat Gold Meritorious Patron

Non-Scn's speak of "building rapport" which is a similar concept. I recall thinking Hub's ideas like ARC were just common sense, but he gave new labels to it, making it seem "new". It really wasn't. I think a lot of his basic material fit in this category. Simple concepts that were hard to argue with. Like improving communication is a good thing, duh, talking with another person about your issues can make you feel better, duh, organizing your life is good, duh, keep your "hands clean" (Golden Rule) is a good idea, well, duh!

At least two things that I think were Hubs' own invention was One, the PTS/SP materials as they were defined around the concept of "Scientology=Good vs People against Scientology=Bad"

And Two, the "earlier similar into past life" therapy and bizarre OT levels, were mostly his inventions.

I think those things, his unique inventions, are what mess people up the most, combined with instilled fear about ones "case" and heavy regging to fix it.

But ARC....pretty innocuous.

3. Churchill

Churchill Gold Meritorious Patron

The ARC triangle is useful as window dressing; a gauzy thin feel-good concept that obscures the malevolence that lies at the core of Scientology.
    It's part of the "acceptable truth" that the fanatical psycho-political cult relys upon in order to seem rational,
    If Scientologists actually believed in free and open communication, they wouldn't freeze at the thought of Googling Scientology. But they're great at talking about their abilities. They just can't quite ever demonstrate 'em.

The ONLY thing that Scientology has achieved in it's 7 decades is untold suffering, and massive corruption of law enforcement, and the legal justice system in the U.S.

4. pineapple

pineapple Silver Meritorious Patron

The ARC triangle at least has some basis in reality. Clear (as defined in DMSMH, anyway) does not.

Did Hubbard say a clear has perfect communication skills? I don't remember that, though he may have. (He said a lot of things that weren't true.) What I remember is "A cleared cannibal is a cleared cannibal" and "Fifty percent of the gains come from training."

5. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

6. Out/Int

Out/Int Patron with Honors

If you want to use deceit and manipulation to get someone to do something so YOU will benefit and they will not - use the ARC Triangle

It works when standardly applied

ARC is a very precise science of SCAMMING

While sales people have to use a bit of it - hopefully they are sincere

In Scientology - the Staff butter you up to get their "product and stat"

As soon as they have it - you are nothing again

Scientology scams EVERYONE who walks in using the Science of SCAM - ARC

7. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Is the ARC Triangle of any use?

Let's ask an expert, Don Hubbard (estranged, disaffected & blown twin brother of Ron Hubbard).

[​IMG]

ANSWER:
    "Yes! The ARC Triangle is of enormous use.
    Without it, Scientologists would find it impossible
    to audit out the charge from ARC Breaks!"

Archive photo of Don Hubbard generously provided courtesy of the inspirational underground artist Ilove2Lurk, founder of the COS (Church of Shoopology)

8. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

There is only one true triangle of absolute, universal understanding that unites all living creatures in peaceful harmony:

[video=youtube;ERWEi1ldcjA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERWEi1ldcjA[/video]

[video=youtube;9NodEr2FApY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NodEr2FApY[/video]

9. alexjorge

alexjorge Patron

The problem is that You have to put from yourself
    Anything works when you induce-fantasiz-sugest in to will works.
    Can you believe something more absurd than Communism? and how many people [ignorant of course] still believing that utopia?
    The ARC "concept" is not different that a Smile, or eyeballing, or ignoring looking away, is just FORCING SOMETHING even when conditions are not logically optimal.

10. arcxcauseblows

arcxcauseblows Patron Meritorious

problem with any of the cult jargon like the arc triangle, is it's part of Scientology(tm) which is an all or nothing destructive ufo cult, per scientology you can't talk about it, you can only have it spoon fed from hubbards writings, so as soon as you talked about it, that became verbal data or squirrel tech, not scientology by definition.......

so you can't say, is this small piece of scientology good? because even if it was it's part of something toxic and cannot be extracted

better off starting from scratch or someone like rogerian https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Rogers

11. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

I suggest that the ARC (affinity, reality, communication) triangle be changed to the AAC (affinity, agreement, communication) triangle.

Agreement does not create reality (i.e. rejection of the Scientology version of polytheism).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  12. Hypatia

Hypatia Pagan

It's a valid concept, but more like a phenomenon you just observe. A person could communicate and establish a frame of reference without it.

13. programmer_guy

How would 2 or more people establish a frame of reference without some agreements on some things?
    :confused2:

14. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

Actually if one person establishes a frame of reference, all anybody else has to to is accept the alternate facts as real and it will all turn out terrific in the end. Really terrific! At least it will for the billionaire.

Oh! You thought I was referring to Trump? Naa.

Mimsey

15. programmer_guy

I don't know that anyone has ever established any frame of reference that has not had some basis/agreement on other's that have written before them.. even if they were wrong. (This is in my sig line below.)

16. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

I remember being fairly new to scientologgy and being subjected to intense pressure to buy something.

I thought I'd use my new-found knowledge of the ARC triangle to get out of this situation so I said to the person who was in my face: "That's not my reality".

The answer was swift and certain: "Then change your reality!".

17. Irayam

Irayam Patron with Honors

For me, the ARC triangle has been useful when I was dating my first wife...
    It was by explaining to her the concept that she was interested in Scientology and I...

Then, some years and a mariage after, she was so interested in scientology so she wanted to be SO:omg:.

So I lost her and, eventually, I returned to the native state of WOG!!

So, yes!, this f***ing triangle has been useful at least twice for me!!

Irayam (happy WOG again)
    :yes:

18. DagwoodGum

DagwoodGum Squirreling Dervish

You can throw them as substitutes in a game of horse shoes?
    Well then what''s the correct answer?

19. Elronius of Marcabia

Elronius of Marcabia Silver Meritorious Patron

The triad is legit it's not Hubbards and it does'nt produce understanding
    as he suggested it produces persuasion, it's just slightly beyond dualism and forms
    a fabric of knowledge along with tons of other triads.

The tools a legitimte and honest salesman uses are the same
    as the one used by a con man, simple difference is the thing of
    value honestly exchanged:thumbsup:

20. Gib

Gib Crusader

affinity (love bombing) + reality (agreement) + communication (you're a big being, you're so theta, etc) = persuasion, if not persuaded why then open minded, agin scientology, agin mankind, PTS, SP.