What's new

Is the sun alive?

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
:biggrin: No worries. I really need to dig in to it more thoroughly with a formal class - it's fascinating. Any suggestions of a class I might take?

(after I finish this slew of construction projects, that is. For now, back to the aviary. Baby bird and foster mom bird are anxious...)

yeah, I've got one;

http://www.lvx.org/

Enjoy

disclaimer; remember, I told you worshiping the sun was a BAD idea!

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Addressing the OP's question, yeh kinda redundant, hells-bells though, if it was not 'alive' ~ well kiddles, neither would we be.

Does it have gravity? (no doubt!)
Heart? (mebbe)
Soul? (mebbe)
Thought? (yeh, its fucking HOT!)

A funny sort of non-sequiter, I truly believe that most of the universe is quite alive, and me am part of it, cool! I think we are all privileged, but so many have abused it, Hubbard too.

Happy Year Change thingy All! :party: :cheers: :hug: :cake: and so much more!!!

Free Being Me

Crusader
:biggrin: No worries. I really need to dig in to it more thoroughly with a formal class - it's fascinating. Any suggestions of a class I might take?

(after I finish this slew of construction projects, that is. For now, back to the aviary. Baby bird and foster mom bird are anxious...)

I'm not sure about classes but if it's the literature you're interested in to indulge in on your own time, I would recommend Stephen Hawking's books and a movie, "What the Bleep Do We Know!?" as good starting points. Good luck with your aviary!!!

What the Bleep Do We Know!?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_the_Bleep_Do_We_Know!?
[video=youtube;SqAbCVR3GqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqAbCVR3GqQ[/video]

Hawking Books:
A Brief History of Time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Brief_History_of_Time
The Grand Design
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grand_Design_(book)
The Universe in a Nutshell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Universe_in_a_Nutshell
Theory of Everything
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_everything
Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Holes_and_Baby_Universes_and_Other_Essays

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Addressing the OP's question, yeh kinda redundant, hells-bells though, if it was not 'alive' ~ well kiddles, neither would we be.

Does it have gravity? (no doubt!)
Heart? (mebbe)
Soul? (mebbe)
Thought? (yeh, its fucking HOT!)

A funny sort of non-sequiter, I truly believe that most of the universe is quite alive,m and me am part of it, cool!

You would disqualify as being alive on at least two points there, Og. Gravity? you can't even keep your own skin cells on ya. Thought? a little more. Soul? Methinks you dance like a white man.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
You would disqualify as being alive on at least two points there, Og. Gravity? you can't even keep your own skin cells on ya. Thought? a little more. Soul? Methinks you dance like a white man.

Lol, fair enough mon :)

Gravity? Oh come on now matey, we're not quite flung off into space yet (albiet, some seem so... :unsure:)

Me dance liek a fucking maniac, so little thyme, so little dance-floor..... :dance3:

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Lol, fair enough mon :)

Gravity? Oh come on now matey, we're not quite flung off into space yet (albiet, some seem so... :unsure:)

Me dance liek a fucking maniac, so little thyme, so little dance-floor..... :dance3:

Which guarantees you'll probably be sticking around....:coolwink:

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Which guarantees you'll probably be sticking around....:coolwink:

XC2weLIbLUKh6g9Y3uZgEA2.gif

:p

Osiris

Patron with Honors
there is some opinion that thinks, life is a form of Electro Magnetic Radiation in its most basic of building blocks.....

& even string theory & scientists of today look toward Electro magnetic radiation as the Basic Buildings blocks in this Universe

(sorry no references spring to mind......)

& for some reason all the "ghost chases" look for the Electro magnetic evidence.......

& there has been Sun worship by Ancient Civilizations.....eg. The Amarna Period of King Akhenaten in Egypt....

The Sun would be a great big source of Electromagnetic Radiation......

Could the Sun be alive.... good question......

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
there is some opinion that thinks, life is a form of Electro Magnetic Radiation in its most basic of building blocks.....

& even string theory & scientists of today look toward Electro magnetic radiation as the Basic Buildings blocks in this Universe

(sorry no references spring to mind......)

& for some reason all the "ghost chases" look for the Electro magnetic evidence.......

& there has been Sun worship by Ancient Civilizations.....eg. The Amarna Period of King Akhenaten in Egypt....

The Sun would be a great big source of Electromagnetic Radiation......

Could the Sun be alive.... good question......

It is all tied together quantumly... mo.

Not sure how that relates to a belief of the Sun being alive.

I don't know how that's worked out. I understand that the elements that our bodies are make up from exist in the dust of the ground. And our blood has a nearly identical chemical make-up as that of sea water. This would suggest to me that the basic elements that make up our bodies came from the Earth. Isn't the Sun mostly hydrogen?

If you're referring to the idea that planets come from their stars, that's actually a pretty unsupported theory.

430901_492191747488355_966676065_n.jpg

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm not an expert on planetary formation, I've just run across a few things in my studies.

A couple of interesting facts;

Almost all of the meteor craters on Mars are on one side only, suggesting that the obvious violence that pockmarked the planets didn't happen over vast periods of time like is generally taught, but happened rather quickly.
The accepted explanation for the hemispheric dichotomy is a very large impact in Mars' history which affected half of the planet's surface.
The planets radiate out from the Sun in a close proximity to the Fibonacci sequence. (1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, etc.) with the exception of the space between Mars and Jupiter. In that zone, we have the asteroid belt. I don't know why there is such resistance to the theory that the asteroids are a blown-apart planet, but there is. It seems very likely to me: You have irregular shaped asteroids, which would be chunks of the mantle, and round asteroids, which would have formed from a molten core before cooling. Seems to fit, but like I said, it's not a popular theory.
It is accepted that the gravitational field of Jupiter prevented the creation of a planet nearby. I have not heard of the Fibonacci sequence thing before. I might look into that a bit more.
Then again, the idea that the planets came from the Sun is generally believed, as shown by some of the other posts in this thread, ignoring the evidence to the contrary.
I thought that the sun and planets were all part of the same process of gravitational attraction and the planets were formed from parts of the same material that formed the sun as the debris collapsed.
The billions of years guys fully expected that any spacecraft touching down on our moon would sink into many feet of dust, which is what should have happened if the moon where billions of years old, being bombarded by meteors all that time, but when they landed, it proved to be a very shallow layer of dust. Didn't stop them believing in billions of years, though. It seems these beliefs are more like religious beliefs, not really based on science.
I remember reading a story by Arthur C. Clarke about plowing through dust. It was a prevailing suspicion. I don't know that they are religious beliefs though. They are hypotheses that are proven wrong.
Comets, which were thought to be 'dirty ice balls' and billions of years old have been discovered to be more like 'icy dirt-balls'. Which challenges the idea that they are billions of years old. The ice should have dissipated by now, leaving a dry rock. This is simply ignored, though. Facts rarely change peoples religious beliefs.
I've heard this before. They've had to change it. I still don't see why being wrong and refining things is religious. If you accept you are wrong when evidence is presented, that is scientific. If you reject when you are proven wrong, that is religious (refer Terril Park).
Gulliver's Travels;
"Irish clergyman and social and political commentator, best known for his satirical fantasy Gulliver's Travels, originally entitled Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World in Four Parts ... by Lemuel Gulliver (1726), in which reference is made to two (then undiscovered) moons of Mars. The astronomers on the flying island of Laputia, says Gulliver, 'have discovered two lesser stars, or satellites, which revolve around Mars, whereof the innermost is distant from the center of the primary exactly three of his diameters, and the outermost five: the former revolves in the space of ten hours, and the latter in twenty-one and a half.' "

"When the two Martian moons, Phobos and Deimos, were eventually found, by Asaph Hall at the US Naval Observatory, their orbits proved to be quite similar to those described in Swift's novel. Phobos is actually 6,000 km from the surface of Mars and revolves around Mars in 7.7 hours, whereas Swift gave the values 13,600 km and 10 hours, respectively. Deimos averages 20,100 km from Mars and orbits in 30.3 hours; Swift gives 27,200 km and 21.5 hours, respectively."

How the hell did he know?
That is interesting. Will have to look into that one. Maybe from the akashic record. Oh wait. I am a skeptic.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I feel ya, bro. This stuff is above my pay grade, but I've read some guys who seem to have the scholastic creds that claim you can't mathematically continue to shorten a finite length forever. it looses 'locality' and seems to resonate everywhere at once, whatever the hell that means.

In pure mathematics, you can deal with arbitrarily small numbers. In physics, there is a lower limit, called the Planck Length ( 1.616199 × 10[sup]−35[/sup] meters):

The physical significance of the Planck length is a topic of research. Because the Planck length is so many orders of magnitude smaller than any current instrument could possibly measure, there is currently no way of probing this length scale directly. Research on the Planck length is therefore mostly theoretical. According to the generalized uncertainty principle, the Planck length is in principle, within a factor of order unity, the shortest measurable length - and no improvements in measurement instruments could change that.

In some forms of quantum gravity, the Planck length is the length scale at which the structure of spacetime becomes dominated by quantum effects, and it would become impossible to determine the difference between two locations less than one Planck length apart. The precise effects of quantum gravity are unknown; often it is suggested that spacetime might have a discrete or foamy structure at Planck length scale.

The Planck area, equal to the square of the Planck length, plays a role in black hole entropy. The value of this entropy, in units of the Boltzmann constant, is known to be given by
7c1cb11b3073bbdbbaf4010995efebdb.png
, where A is the area of the event horizon.

If large extra dimensions exist, the measured strength of gravity may be much smaller than its true (small-scale) value. In this case the Planck length would have no fundamental physical significance, and quantum gravitational effects would appear at other scales.

In string theory, the Planck length is the order of magnitude of the oscillating strings that form elementary particles, and shorter lengths do not make physical sense.[3]

Gulliver's Travels;
"Irish clergyman and social and political commentator, best known for his satirical fantasy Gulliver's Travels, originally entitled Travels into Several Remote Nations of the World in Four Parts ... by Lemuel Gulliver (1726), in which reference is made to two (then undiscovered) moons of Mars. The astronomers on the flying island of Laputia, says Gulliver, 'have discovered two lesser stars, or satellites, which revolve around Mars, whereof the innermost is distant from the center of the primary exactly three of his diameters, and the outermost five: the former revolves in the space of ten hours, and the latter in twenty-one and a half.' "

"When the two Martian moons, Phobos and Deimos, were eventually found, by Asaph Hall at the US Naval Observatory, their orbits proved to be quite similar to those described in Swift's novel. Phobos is actually 6,000 km from the surface of Mars and revolves around Mars in 7.7 hours, whereas Swift gave the values 13,600 km and 10 hours, respectively. Deimos averages 20,100 km from Mars and orbits in 30.3 hours; Swift gives 27,200 km and 21.5 hours, respectively."

How the hell did he know?
It is the same problem with Piri Re's map, which has information on it that was unmapable with the information and equipment they had at that time.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/piri/index.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piri_Reis_map

Mimsey

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
The accepted explanation for the hemispheric dichotomy is a very large impact in Mars' history which affected half of the planet's surface.

Well, yeah, no doubt. The problem is, if all the other planets received their meteor craters over billions of years, why didn't Mars get more on the unaffected side?

It is accepted that the gravitational field of Jupiter prevented the creation of a planet nearby. I have not heard of the Fibonacci sequence thing before. I might look into that a bit more.

Apparently you didn't read my earlier post on this. The thing is; there are irregular asteroids that seem to me would fit a blown-apart planets' solid outer mantel and crust, and then there are the round ones, which would be consistent with a molten core forming spheres before cooling. If the asteroids all formed separately, why didn't they all assume a spherical shape? That was my point. It's a mystery to me why this theory is so unpopular.

I thought that the sun and planets were all part of the same process of gravitational attraction and the planets were formed from parts of the same material that formed the sun as the debris collapsed.

Again, you missed things. The thing is, some planets spin opposite the direction that the others do, which shouldn't be if they all where thrown off by the Sun. The principle is called something like 'the conservation of angular momentum' or something like that (but don't hold me to that). Like kids flying off a merry-go-round, they keep spinning in the same direction that the merry-go-round was spinning.

I think I read you talking about planets being hit by other celestial objects as the explanation for backwards spinning planets, and indeed this is one of the 'official' explanations. This is pretty ridiculous, though. If an object struck a planet hard enough to cause it to start spinning backwards, it would most certainly alter it's orbit, too. Hell, it would no doubt make a dent in the planet, if not blow it apart. (asteroid belt?) Yet, all the planets hold very close to the same equatorial plane, with near perfect circular orbits. Even if the highly improbable situation where one object hit the planet and caused it to spin backwards, and then another hit it and put it back in its orbit were true, it is statistically absurd that it would happen THREE times! No way, Jose.

The other solution put out sometimes is the backwards planets are captured objects for outside our solar system, there is no way all three would have entered our system at the exact speed and vectors to assume a nearly perfectly circular orbit, within a couple of degrees of the equatorial plane of the Sun. Also statistically impossible.

There are really no viable theories to explain this, it's still mystery.

I remember reading a story by Arthur C. Clarke about plowing through dust. It was a prevailing suspicion. I don't know that they are religious beliefs though. They are hypotheses that are proven wrong.

The idea that our solar system is billions of years old is the belief that stays around, even though discovered facts contradict this. Like there NOT being many feet of dust on the Moon from billions of years of impacts and such.

I've heard this before. They've had to change it. I still don't see why being wrong and refining things is religious. If you accept you are wrong when evidence is presented, that is scientific. If you reject when you are proven wrong, that is religious (refer Terril Park).

If the comets had been passing by the Sun for billions of years, all the ice from what we now know are icy rocks would have dissipated. They were assumed to be mostly ice, because that's the only thing that would have them still shedding water. They find out otherwise, but keep on with the Billions of years.

Last edited:

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
For racecar;

Relative planetary distances average to Phi

The average of the mean orbital distances of each successive planet in relation to the one before it approximates phi:
Planet Mean
distance
in million
kilometers
per NASA Relative
mean
distance
where
Mercury=1
Mercury 57.91 1.00000
Venus 108.21 1.86859
Earth 149.60 1.38250