What's new

Isaac Hayes Didn't Quit 'South Park'; Son Says Scientology Quit for Him

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Isaac Hayes Didn't Quit 'South Park'; Son Says Scientology Quit for Him

Billboard: Isaac Hayes Didn't Quit 'South Park'; Son Says Scientology Quit for Him

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...t-quit-south-park-scientology-did-for-him-son

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

When Isaac Hayes left the South Park staff with a letter in his name on March 13, 2006, it was not by his own doing.

That public revelation comes according to Hayes' son, Isaac Hayes III, the manager of Isaac Hayes' estate, in a new interview with The Hollywood Reporter celebrating South Park's 20 year anniversary.

[SNIP]

But according to Hayes III, the iconic soul singer did not quit on his own accord while he was incapacitated due to health issues .

"Isaac Hayes did not quit South Park; someone quit South Park for him," Hayes III told THR. "What happened was that in January 2006 my dad had a stroke and lost the ability to speak. He really didn't have that much comprehension, and he had to relearn to play the piano and a lot of different things. He was in no position to resign under his own knowledge. At the time, everybody around my father was involved in Scientology -- his assistants, the core group of people. So someone quit South Park on Isaac Hayes' behalf. We don't know who."

"My father was not that big of a hypocrite to be part of a show that would constantly poke fun at African-American people, Jewish people, gay people -- and only quit when it comes to Scientology," continued Hayes III. "He wouldn't be that hypocritical."

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Scientology forced Isaac Hayes to quit South Park as Chef, says the late soul legend's son.

Digital Spy: Scientology forced Isaac Hayes to quit South Park as Chef, says the late soul legend's son

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/n...-park-as-chef-says-the-late-soul-legends-son/

Hayes's son explained: "Isaac Hayes did not quit South Park; someone quit South Park for him. What happened was that in January 2006 my dad had a stroke and lost the ability to speak. He really didn't have that much comprehension, and he had to relearn to play the piano and a lot of different things.

"He was in no position to resign under his own knowledge. At the time, everybody around my father was involved in Scientology - his assistants, the core group of people. So someone quit South Park on Isaac Hayes' behalf. We don't know who.

CommunicatorIC

South Park creators reveal Scientology made Isaac Hayes stop voicing chef

Independent: South Park creators reveal Scientology made Isaac Hayes stop voicing chef

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...e-isaac-hayes-stop-voicing-chef-a7307316.html

Hayes son, Hayes III, who was also in attendance during the interview, then revealed that his father “did not quit South Park; someone quit South Park for him.”

He explained: “What happened was that in January 2006 my dad had a stroke and lost the ability to speak. He really didn't have that much comprehension, and he had to relearn to play the piano and a lot of different things.

“He was in no position to resign under his own knowledge. At the time, everybody around my father was involved in Scientology — his assistants, the core group of people. So someone quit South Park on Isaac Hayes' behalf. We don't know who.

“My father was not that big of a hypocrite to be part of a show that would constantly poke fun at African-American people, Jewish people, gay people — and only quit when it comes to Scientology. He wouldn't be that hypocritical.”

CommunicatorIC

Esquire magazine has the story and quotes the Hollywood Reporter as follows:

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a48603/south-park-isaac-hayes-scientology/

Isaac Hayes did not quit South Park; someone quit South Park for him. What happened was that in January 2006 my dad had a stroke and lost the ability to speak. He really didn't have that much comprehension, and he had to relearn to play the piano and a lot of different things. He was in no position to resign under his own knowledge. At the time, everybody around my father was involved in Scientology — his assistants, the core group of people. So someone quit South Park on Isaac Hayes' behalf. We don't know who ... My father was not that big of a hypocrite to be part of a show that would constantly poke fun at African-American people, Jewish people, gay people—and only quit when it comes to Scientology. He wouldn't be that hypocritical.

guanoloco

As-Wased
...pick 'em up and suck 'em...

[video=youtube;ACDOBjPHqb8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACDOBjPHqb8[/video]

I can't help it...I'm rockslammin' tonight!!

CommunicatorIC

Tony Ortega now has the story, and notes that Roger Friedman, "has a very good idea who quit the show on Hayes’s behalf."

Isaac Hayes didn’t quit, he was pushed (2nd item)

http://tonyortega.org/2016/09/15/sc...rt-rejects-appeal-in-forced-abortion-lawsuit/

That assertion got picked up by dozens of other news organizations yesterday, and for good reason. But none of them seemed to do much checking to see that actually, Roger Friedman has a very good idea who quit the show on Hayes’s behalf.

Do yourself a favor and read Roger’s piece rounding up his reporting on Hayes’s stroke, quitting the show, and death.

The name Christina Kumi Kimball was not one that rang bells for us. Does anyone know what her involvement in Scientology is today?

CommunicatorIC

“South Park” 20th Anniversary– How “Shaft” Composer Isaac Hayes Really Left the Show

Showbiz 411: “South Park” 20th Anniversary– How “Shaft” Composer Isaac Hayes Really Left the Show

http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/09/1...aft-composer-isaac-hayes-really-left-the-show

I see that thanks to the 20th anniversary of “South Park” there’s some discussion about how and why Isaac Hayes quit playing Chef on the show.

Here’s my original story from March 20, 2006:

Isaac Hayes did not quit “South Park.” My sources say that someone quit it for him.

I can tell you that Hayes is in no position to have quit anything. Contrary to news reports, the great writer, singer and musician suffered a stroke on Jan. 17. At the time it was said that he was hospitalized and suffering from exhaustion.

[SNIP]

Isaac’s income stream was severely impaired as a result. Suddenly there were announcements of his touring, and performing. It didn’t seem possible, but word went out that he’d be at BB King’s in New York in January 2007. I went to see him and reported on it here.

The show was abomination. Isaac was plunked down at a keyboard, where he pretended to front his band. He spoke-sang, and his words were halting. He was not the Isaac Hayes of the past.

What was worse was that he barely knew me. He had appeared in my documentary, “Only the Strong Survive,” released in 2003. We knew each other very well. I was actually surprised that his Scientology minder, Christina Kumi Kimball, with whom I had difficult encounters in the past, let me see him backstage at BB King’s. Our meeting was brief, and Isaac said quietly that he did know me. But the light was out in his eyes, and the situation was worrisome.

[SNIP]

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
If nothing else, the sad story of this great musician's poor health and eventual demise illustrates how much his involvement with the cult of scientology helped him physically and mentally. In a few words, not very much at all.

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

Tony Ortega now has the story, and notes that Roger Friedman, "has a very good idea who quit the show on Hayes’s behalf."

Isaac Hayes didn’t quit, he was pushed (2nd item)

http://tonyortega.org/2016/09/15/sc...rt-rejects-appeal-in-forced-abortion-lawsuit/

That assertion got picked up by dozens of other news organizations yesterday, and for good reason. But none of them seemed to do much checking to see that actually, Roger Friedman has a very good idea who quit the show on Hayes’s behalf.

Do yourself a favor and read Roger’s piece rounding up his reporting on Hayes’s stroke, quitting the show, and death.

The name Christina Kumi Kimball was not one that rang bells for us. Does anyone know what her involvement in Scientology is today?

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *[/QUOT]In answer to Tony's question, as first noted by Semper Phi on Tony Ortega's blog, according to a letter that Mike Rinder posted in his Thursday Funnies on July 28, Kumi Kimball is currently the Executive Director of the Harlem Foundation Org.

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/thursday-funnies-94/

Harlem.png

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
After reading this thread, does it matter that someone quit the show for him? If he had a stroke, he was incapable of doing the show at all. He had to quit, or have someone quit for him, or be fired. So it does not matter how or why he quit -- if he can't do his job, he can't do his job. At least for the duration.

Helena

Leland

Crusader
After reading this thread, does it matter that someone quit the show for him? If he had a stroke, he was incapable of doing the show at all. He had to quit, or have someone quit for him, or be fired. So it does not matter how or why he quit -- if he can't do his job, he can't do his job. At least for the duration.

Helena

Actors play all kinds of roles.....

Tom Cruise's first break into big star status.....he plays a college kid that becomes a pimp.....for a school project....

Anyway......it would matter in Isacc Hayes case, because he would have been under contract of some sort......

Not just anyone can come along and change a Contract between two parties......

So who did it is of interest.

IMO is was just fortuitous timing for the Cult.....as "The Chef" could "quite SouthPark".......as that show had several episodes that completely ripped Scientology apart.....and were very funny. I mean they did shows on OT3....and Target 3 and Ron coming back.....and about Tom Cruise and John Travolta "coming out of the closet" ....and Nicole Kidman......

I'm sure the Cult wanted to get back at South Park anyway they could....as Publicly as they could....and Hayes, "quiting" over some "religious discrimination" protest......was somewhat of a coup for the Cult, IMO.

I recall it was reported that the originators of South Park did have some death threats against them....at one point...over some content of their shows....

As an aside:

What is it that "having a stroke" seems to be a somewhat common medical situation with Cult students on upper levels....?

If a Cult student on the upper levels spends years addressing his or her body "area".....might that have something to do with it....somehow?

During those "years" if not decades of addressing areas of the body or area that envelope the body........it would seem to me that eventually glands and parts of the brain would be "addressed" if only obliquely....? Could some "wires" get crossed accidentally ...?

Last edited:

guanoloco

As-Wased

Helena

Quitting due to physical and/or mental incapacity is one thing and the case here...quitting due to moralistic indignation is something different.

Which one had integrity?

Which one, truthfully, would've portrayed Scientology less favorably?

Why didn't the wreck tech prevent the stroke and ill health?

Scientology is a shallow ruse.

CommunicatorIC

Helena
There is a VAST difference between him quitting the show because he was ill or incapacitated, and him quitting the show because the show South park and its creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone were anti-Scientology religious bigots who slandered the religion.

If he quit because he was ill or incapacitated, then that was the simple truth.

If he quit because he was ill or incapacitated, then if was a lie and Church of Scientology propaganda to say he quit because the show because the show and its creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone were anti-Scientology religious bigots who slandered the religion.

It also, as his son explained, made him to be a hypocrite because South Park had happily slammed Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. without any complaint from Hayes.

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
There is a VAST difference between him quitting the show because he was ill or incapacitated, and him quitting the show because the show South park and its creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone were anti-Scientology religious bigots who slandered the religion.

If he quit because he was ill or incapacitated, then that was the simple truth.

If he quit because he was ill or incapacitated, then if was a lie and Church of Scientology propaganda to say he quit because the show because the show and its creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone were anti-Scientology religious bigots who slandered the religion.

It also, as his son explained, made him to be a hypocrite because South Park had happily slammed Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, etc. without any complaint from Hayes.
The point is, either way, he had to leave the show. Same outcome = it doesn't matter why.

Helena

CommunicatorIC

The point is, either way, he had to leave the show. Same outcome = it doesn't matter why.

Helena
For the love of Xenu, nothing could be further from the truth. They do NOT have the same outcome.

It is NOT the case that the only relevant "outcome" is that Isaac Hayes did not continue to work on South Park.

The other relevant out come is the message sent to the public, and the effect of that message on the public.

One message, the truth, was that Isaac Hayes was too ill to continue his work on South Park. Such a message: (a) would garner only sympathy and empathy from the public for Isaac Hayes; and (b) would not permit the Church of Scientology to wrongly pretend to be the victim of religious bigotry and garner sympathy and support on that basis.

The other message, a lie, was that Isaac Hayes left South Park because the show and its creators had engaged in anti-Scientology religious bigotry. Such message had the effect of: (a) making Isaac Hayes look like a hypocrite, negatively effecting his reputation among some; and (b) permitting the Church of Scientology to wrongly play the "victim" card and improperly garner sympathy and support on that basis.

More fundamentally, the reason why something is done matters regardless of the narrow "outcome." Take two cases. In one "A" shoots and kills "B" in self defense. In the other "A" shoots and kills "B" as a matter of premeditated murder in order to rob "B." The narrow "outcome" in both is that "B" is dead. The reason for the shooting is the only difference, and makes all of the difference.

Even more fundamentally, some people -- no Scientologists, obviously -- think the truth actually matters.

Other people are perfectly fine with the Church of Scientology lying to the public in order to play "victim" and receive unjustified and unwarranted empathy, sympathy and support.

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron

Helena
How do you know Trey Parker and Matt Stone wouldn't have wanted and been delighted to keep Chef in the show and continue to have paid Isaac even if he couldn't do any voices etc. for the show? I'm sure they could have found someone who could have come close enough to the Chef/Isaac voice.

Leland

Crusader
I saw him sitting out at the Cafe .....at CC, back in the late 90's

It was obvious he had "Cult Handlers" there with him....