What's new

It is illegal in California to sell Real Estate with religious prejudice

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron

**Must be a Good Scientologist, in Good standing, committed to serving Scientolgists**

To: [email protected]
Sent: 4/24/2013 10:52:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: Fwd: Serenity House Sale

Date: April 25, 2013, 1:18:23 AM EDT
To: Gary Jordan <[email protected]>
Subject: Fw: Serenity House Sale

Dear Serenity House Alumni,
As most of you know, Serenity House has been in business for twelve years providing upstat accommodations for the PAC Base, AOLA, ASHO, LAO and even occasionally CC Int. and execs from Scientology’s 4D campaigns. How many other rooming houses can say the King of Ghana or the Jive Aces have stayed with them?

Lee and I have decided to become full time professional writers. This is not a whim but something we both want to do and for which we have a passion. It is time to move on.

We are looking for the right person or persons who would be interested in buying Serenity House. We want to make sure of a successful Power Change as Serenity House has become indispensible to the PAC Base. We have hats for all phases of our operation and will train you in our methods which have been highly successful. We have the largest operation in the LA Area and have thousands of satisfied Scientologists in our CF.

As we see it, a couple who is intent on getting up the Bridge, possibly doing the BC or long term training would be able to handle the traffic and make enough money to live on while moving through their program and living in one of the units.

Serenity House is a detail business that requires vigilance on a day to day basis. Buying Serenity House will be a commitment as it serves Scientologists from around the world. These Scientologists are here for service, not to worry about how much toilet paper is in the bath. Our goal has always been to create an atmosphere of calm so Scientologists can concentrate on their Bridge. Our motto is “Serenity in the Heart of Hollywood.”

If you have any questions or interest in purchasing Serenity House or know of someone who may be interested, please reply to this email.

Much Love,

Lee and Gary Jordan

323-428-6808

[email protected]

Lee and Gary Jordan are THE PHOENIX, Multi-Genre Authors

http://www.myhomepage.org/garyjordan/

http://www.fictionbyphoenix.com

Facebook

Twitter

AMAZON.COM

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
Purple Rain ~~

It is common for those in the Church of Scientology,Sea org, Staff and public to thumb their nose at the Law.
As in assault and batteries that happen within the *CHURCH* that never get reported....

If the seller of this property advertise this in any paper. they can get a $10,.000 fine

Purple Rain

Crusader
I suspect any paper will tell them they cannot discriminate in their add.

The paper can be held accountable too.

The Anabaptist Jacques

But surely this qualifies as making a statement limiting the purchasers to those of a specific religion under the Act, and should therefore be illegal in its own right - and possibly actionable if reported?

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

While 42 USC § 3604 - Discrimination in the sale or rental of housing and other prohibited practices, which is cited in the document above, generally prohibits religious discrimination, it explicitly exempts operations which are covered under 42 USC § 3607 - Religious organization or private club exemption which says

(a) Nothing in this subchapter shall prohibit a religious organization, association, or society, or any nonprofit institution or organization operated, supervised or controlled by or in conjunction with a religious organization, association, or society, from limiting the sale, rental or occupancy of dwellings which it owns or operates for other than a commercial purpose to persons of the same religion, or from giving preference to such persons, unless membership in such religion is restricted on account of race, color, or national origin. Nor shall anything in this subchapter prohibit a private club not in fact open to the public, which as an incident to its primary purpose or purposes provides lodgings which it owns or operates for other than a commercial purpose, from limiting the rental or occupancy of such lodgings to its members or from giving preference to its members.

I'm fairly sure that their lawyer would claim that, as the building has been primarily used as lodging for parishioners engaged in taking religious services, and the sale brochure explicitly mentions that usage, and the intent that the usage is to continue under the new owner, that section 3607 applies.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
They probably see the handwriting on the wall and just want to dump it on some poor unsuspecting soul (or rather, Thetan).

The Anabaptist Jacques

I also suspect that they've been getting crap from "Ethics" over any attempt to evict people who fail to pay their rent, where such eviction may create a problem for the person being on course or in session, and thus negatively impact org stats.

I learned early to NEVER do business with any Scn who might be more "connected" than I was. And as a resigned Sea Org member, I was at the bottom of the totem pole.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I believe the owner' are not doing anything illegal - and who cares really. What is more important to focus on is the fact that they are getting out of the " housing thetan's going up the Bridge to Total Spiritual Freedom " scam - they are leaving and probably leaving Scientology but not announcing that. Please pay attention:

"Lee and I have decided to become full time professional writers. This is not a whim but something we both want to do and for which we have a passion. It is time to move on".

Translated - they are tired of working like Dogs for no money so they can help Scientology member's save money staying at a dilapidated Flop House so they can give all of their money to the Cult and NOTHING CHANGES in 12 years!! We are moving on to our goal....yes, we did have goals when we got into Scientology and that came up in our most recent auditing repair session - OUR GOALS HAVE BEEN THWARTED! We are done "serving" Scientology and it is time that we go after what we came into Scientology for - to help ourselves!

Can you imagine running a flop house for theetans that come to LA to do Bridge - all the nuts are nuttier because they get fleeced out of their life savings whilst spending $20 per night to stay in a Flop House - whilst paying Scientology Thousands of Dollars to have a 15 year old ethics officer tell you that your ethics are out, you are an illegal pc and cannot have the Bridge - come back next lifetime and will you donate your $100,000 on account to David Miscavige's John Lobb shoe account.

The dictator must have nice shoes so he can kick the degraded being staff members when they are not producing enough money for his John Lobb shoe account.

There is also a "tanning bed account", "Spray Tans in a Minute account, "Personal chef perparing 10 gourmet meals a day account", "BFF Birthday Bash Account", "What will I drive today - Beemer or Benz - Account", Finest Scotch on the Planet account", "Finest Tailored Italian Suit Account" and many others to choose from. :ohmy:

Purple Rain

Crusader
I believe the owner' are not doing anything illegal - and who cares really. What is more important to focus on is the fact that they are getting out of the " housing thetan's going up the Bridge to Total Spiritual Freedom " scam - they are leaving and probably leaving Scientology but not announcing that. Please pay attention:

"Lee and I have decided to become full time professional writers. This is not a whim but something we both want to do and for which we have a passion. It is time to move on".

Translated - they are tired of working like Dogs for no money so they can help Scientology member's save money staying at a dilapidated Flop House so they can give all of their money to the Cult and NOTHING CHANGES in 12 years!! We are moving on to our goal....yes, we did have goals when we got into Scientology and that came up in our most recent auditing repair session - OUR GOALS HAVE BEEN THWARTED! We are done "serving" Scientology and it is time that we go after what we came into Scientology for - to help ourselves!

Can you imagine running a flop house for theetans that come to LA to do Bridge - all the nuts are nuttier because they get fleeced out of their life savings whilst spending $20 per night to stay in a Flop House - whilst paying Scientology Thousands of Dollars to have a 15 year old ethics officer tell you that your ethics are out, you are an illegal pc and cannot have the Bridge - come back next lifetime and will you donate your $100,000 on account to David Miscavige's John Lobb shoe account.

The dictator must have nice shoes so he can kick the degraded being staff members when they are not producing enough money for his John Lobb shoe account.

There is also a "tanning bed account", "Spray Tans in a Minute account, "Personal chef perparing 10 gourmet meals a day account", "BFF Birthday Bash Account", "What will I drive today - Beemer or Benz - Account", Finest Scotch on the Planet account", "Finest Tailored Italian Suit Account" and many others to choose from. :ohmy:

Run for it, Lee and Gary!!

500x_run.jpg

FlagEmDown

Patron
While 42 USC § 3604 - Discrimination in the sale or rental of housing and other prohibited practices, which is cited in the document above, generally prohibits religious discrimination, it explicitly exempts operations which are covered under 42 USC § 3607 - Religious organization or private club exemption which says

(a) Nothing in this subchapter shall prohibit a religious organization, association, or society, or any nonprofit institution or organization operated, supervised or controlled by or in conjunction with a religious organization, association, or society, from limiting the sale, rental or occupancy of dwellings which it owns or operates for other than a commercial purpose to persons of the same religion, or from giving preference to such persons, unless membership in such religion is restricted on account of race, color, or national origin. Nor shall anything in this subchapter prohibit a private club not in fact open to the public, which as an incident to its primary purpose or purposes provides lodgings which it owns or operates for other than a commercial purpose, from limiting the rental or occupancy of such lodgings to its members or from giving preference to its members.

I'm fairly sure that their lawyer would claim that, as the building has been primarily used as lodging for parishioners engaged in taking religious services, and the sale brochure explicitly mentions that usage, and the intent that the usage is to continue under the new owner, that section 3607 applies.

I would guess that this exemption does not apply, because it is a commercial establishment.

Balthasar

Patron Meritorious
And if it's the business they are looking to sell, rather than just the real estate, it would not be illegal, would it?

That's my first thought but I am only guessing....

PS: I just saw that Enthetan has brought up a similar point above. Anyway I think there is no case to be made

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I would guess that this exemption does not apply, because it is a commercial establishment.

From one way of thinking, Flag Accommodations and the LA Manor Hotel are also commercial establishments, since they provide lodging in exchange for payment. Yet they only admit Scns in good standing, and I will guess they are covered against discrimination charges.

I'm going to guess that the sellers will be able to show that it is not commercial because they made no profit in years (which is likely why they want to sell it).

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I hope you know how arrogant that makes you sound.

I happen to agree with him, about the laws violating the Constitution, since the feds were never granted the authority to regulate housing. I agree with you that he could have phrased it more politely.

guanoloco

As-Wased
From one way of thinking, Flag Accommodations and the LA Manor Hotel are also commercial establishments, since they provide lodging in exchange for payment. Yet they only admit Scns in good standing, and I will guess they are covered against discrimination charges.

I'm going to guess that the sellers will be able to show that it is not commercial because they made no profit in years (which is likely why they want to sell it).

This is 100% a violation. For one, the seller is a private individual and not Scientology, also whether or not there is profit does not define an entity as commercial.

It's a moot point anyway, whether commercial or residential it's 100% a violation TO EVEN ADVERTISE A RELIGIOUS PREFERENCE.

My guess the seller is unaware it's a violation instead of openly ignoring the law.

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
It is illegal in California to sell Real Estate with religious prejudice
If the seller of this property advertise this in any paper. they can get a $10,.000 fine

This may be different in that they are selling a business not a house. I am not a lawyer but if you are selling a Christian bookstore you may have the right to sell it to another Christian who wants to keep the store open rather than a Buddhist who wants to build a meditation center.