What's new

It's engrams? Why did I believe that?

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
I was introduced to the concept of engrams, secondaries and locks on the comm course and for the next 30 years thought it was an accurate model of why we do illogical things. Aside from a colonoscopy a few years ago, I haven't been unconscious in my entire life. I have had painful moments, usually brief--bumps and bruises stuff but no prolonged periods of excruitiating pain.

I'm wondering why I so completely accepted the notion that it was engrams causing me to be less than perfect. I also audited tons of people with the engram model as my guide and only rarely audited a this life "moment of unconsciousness".

I'm thinking that the engram therapy didn't find enough people with engrams and that's the key reason why people go past track. At least that works for me.

I guess the fact that Hubbard dived off into creative processing in 1951 is evidence that Dianetics wasn't working.

Thoughts?

Balthasar

Patron Meritorious
I was introduced to the concept of engrams, secondaries and locks on the comm course and for the next 30 years thought it was an accurate model of why we do illogical things. Aside from a colonoscopy a few years ago, I haven't been unconscious in my entire life. I have had painful moments, usually brief--bumps and bruises stuff but no prolonged periods of excruitiating pain.

I'm wondering why I so completely accepted the notion that it was engrams causing me to be less than perfect. I also audited tons of people with the engram model as my guide and only rarely audited a this life "moment of unconsciousness".

I'm thinking that the engram therapy didn't find enough people with engrams and that's the key reason why people go past track. At least that works for me.

I guess the fact that Hubbard dived off into creative processing in 1951 is evidence that Dianetics wasn't working.

Thoughts?

I couldn't find any engrams on myself either. That led me early on to the conclusion that much less people would have engrams than was assumed.

However, prior to that I did once audit a PC on objectives who earlier was on Dianetics. That was not recently but in 1974. For some odd reason this girl was taken off Dianetics and put on objectives just to end up being my twin. So I audited her on one of the objectives and suddenly a pre birth engram restimulated and she run through it. Now, this was the real stuff - she WAS going through the incident while I was running objectives not related to engrams. You couldn't make this up. She told me later it's from her Dianetic auditing which was left unflat. The next session again the same thing.

So for me it was clear that some people actually had engrams. I obviously had none, later did OT levels and still wondered why I had none but others did.

It would be interesting if a professional auditor could fill in info as to what percentage he believes to be the people having engrams once they reach NED level. I would think it to be very few actually running real engrams, not just imaginary past life stuff.

Last edited:

Gadfly

Crusader
I couldn't find any engrams on myself either.

After a few weeks of Dianetics, I had to be giving a "whole track remedy" because I was not going back past this life to find incidents earlier-similar incidents.

So I ran "imaginary incidents" exactly per the "tech" - and then after that I imagined incidents for about another 400 hours of Dianetics (thinking that they were "real")!!!! :duh:

Balthasar

Patron Meritorious
After a few weeks of Dianetics, I had to be giving a "whole track remedy" because I was not going back past this life to find incidents earlier-similar incidents.

So I ran "imaginary incidents" exactly per the "tech" - and then after that I imagined incidents for about another 400 hours of Dianetics (thinking that they were "real")!!!! :duh:

Did you now find any "this life engrams" at all? I mean real ones where one would be sort of unconcious running trough stuff.
Or was it just some analytical remembering and you'd "run trough" it anyway in the hope you'd find some real engrams later?

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Did you now find any "this life engrams" at all? I mean real ones where one would be sort of unconcious running trough stuff.
Or was it just some analytical remembering and you'd "run trough" it anyway in the hope you'd find some real engrams later?

People will object to the term "engram", so I will use "traumatic incident". I found several traumatic incidents, ranging from schoolyard fights, corporal punishment, accidents, hospital visits, severe illnesses, etc. I also found tons of what Scientologists call "secondary engrams" which are very severe emotional upsets and losses, which also bow to the procedure given.

I didn't find a SINGLE "past life engram". Not one. I did CREATE a few to satisfy auditors that committed "gross auditing errors" by not accepting that I either had "end phenomena" without going "past life", or by looking for past life stuff when there was still more present life stuff repressed right below the surface. I find most auditors are in a hurry to get to the juicy stuff, and don't allow me (and by extension others) to full process recent heavy duty stuff, first. Because of this, the repression on the local stuff is not yet fully lifted, and you get into a fight about going earlier before you're ready. A lot of "auditors" cannot confront having a person "in pain" or "emotional" in front of them. They want to skip to the cure before it is possible, and end up creating or supporting delusions to avoid looking at the painful stuff. This is not a favor.

uniquemand

Unbeliever

Thoughts?

Dianetics wasn't "working" because the objective is a fantasy. :)

Are you saying you never experienced physical pain, unconsciousness? Did you never run over "secondaries" in session? BTW, the assertion in Scientology that all secondaries are rooted in primary pain incidents, IMO, is flatly false. Pain doesn't have to be present, at least if it is defined strictly as physical pain. Instead, what needs to be there, for it to be an "incident" in my book, is an unwillingness for that experience, a wish that it didn't happen, couldn't be tolerated, etc.

Gadfly

Crusader

I rarely had any moments of pain and unconsciousness this life. Other than a few hospital visits. There wasn't much to find that met the criteria to be an actual textbook "engram".

I did have some pretty amazing "recalls". Once on Life Repair I recalled being in my baby crib, and described the mobile that was hanging above me. I called my parents and confirmed it with them, right down to the location of the crib in the room. I never before had recalled anything when I was 6 months old. Few do.

And, of course, it could have been coincidental dub-in.

For me, I see a value in Dianetics, if not in running out the elusive moments of pain and unconsciousness, at least using it to assist in resolving past moments of upset and trauma. Now, it remains to be seen whether these current life situations of trauma and upset can only truly be resolved if one addresses and handles the earlier-similar incidents that would exist down along the time track if there is any substance to the notions of "past lives".

For example, I was running some incident on Dianetics. When I first spotted it, and it was this life, I felt a little bit queasy. It turned on IMMEDIATELY when I spotted the incident. To me, the mind WAS affecting my body and physiology. As I contacted earlier incidents, before this one, I got VERY MUCH SICKER. It happened quickly. I tried to blow and leave the room. I had to puke. The auditor 2-way commed me quickly, kept me in session, and we worked out that I would keep the garbage can close by in case I had to hurl. I dry-heaved a few times actually.

As I keep contacting earlier-similar incidents, which were all now FAR down the past track, it got worse, but then started to get less. Finally, when I contacted, ran and flattened the earliest incident, BANG, the feeling of illness disappeared, and quite to the contrary, I felt great!

Now, did it only "work" because I believed it would work?

Either way MIND was directly affecting the physical. THAT was a fact that I got from the experience.

Balthasar

Patron Meritorious
I was jealous at people having Engams.

Imagine me PC sitting there at AOSH in Copenhagen, 1980 getting my first NED session. In the backside of the classroom was (student) NED auditing going on and I could see other guys running through engrams on tables beside ours. I had none of them however hard I tried! So I said to my auditor that I am clear and we finished off.

My theory then was that I would be a relatively "new thetan" who hasn't been around long enough to get aberated enough to pick up engrams.

One of my more recent theories however is that people or spirits would get repaired "between lives" more or less thoroughly which would explain the absence of past life engrams. But here we would be going into another subject.

Boojuum

Like a lot of Scientology and Dianetic phenomena, SOME people experienced what LRH advertised from time to time. My point is that the entirety of Scientology is based on Dianetics and Dianetics is based on the existence of the engram and few Scienos have run one. If I grabbed 10 random Scienos in an org and quizzed them about the relief they'd felt after running out all those engrams, I'd probably get a few who experienced some relief at some point or another running some Dianetics. I ran a lot of Dianetics as an auditor but usually the pc's went past track and seemed to enjoy the experience.

What caused the relief? creative processing or real engrams or hypnotically induced relief.:confused2:

I don't think there is anything remotely new about asking someone to relive a moment of stress or grief or embarassment or pain. Certainly not any type of breakthrough in the field of mental healing. More like a style improvement based on a guideline.

When I was a fully indoctrinated Scieno, I assumed the engrams were the basis of my reactive mind and that was why I wasn't more effective at achieving my goals. Engrams were why I wasn't rich and brilliant and a success with the opposite sex.

Looking back. I don't think engrams played much of a role in the way I or anyone else acted.

I'm happy for the folks who ran engrams and had a life changing experience but that's not the point.

Ron bragged with absolute certainty that engrams were the main problem all of us would have to deal with.

I'm thinking that I bought into a complete model of the mind that was bogus. :duh:

And am just now figuring out another piece.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

I also ran "imaginary incidents" exactly per the "tech". What did they call that action again? Ummmm.....

Oh yeah, it was called the Grade Chart.

smartone

My Own Boss
I was jealous at people having Engams.

Imagine me PC sitting there at AOSH in Copenhagen, 1980 getting my first NED session. In the backside of the classroom was (student) NED auditing going on and I could see other guys running through engrams on tables beside ours. I had none of them however hard I tried! So I said to my auditor that I am clear and we finished off.

My theory then was that I would be a relatively "new thetan" who hasn't been around long enough to get aberated enough to pick up engrams.

One of my more recent theories however is that people or spirits would get repaired "between lives" more or less thoroughly which would explain the absence of past life engrams. But here we would be going into another subject.

I couldn't find any engrams either, nor go down the track. Auditors got bored with me I bet. No juicy stuff. My PCs however ran engrams really well.

Gadfly

Crusader
I also ran "imaginary incidents" exactly per the "tech". What did they call that action again? Ummmm.....

Oh yeah, it was called the Grade Chart.

That is slightly disingenuous and too wide of a generality.

For example, on Grade 2, which I DID get a great deal of relief doing, I spotted and "ran out" many overts and withholds. I didn't make them up, and the details of them were not products of my imagination. This dealt primarily with THIS life, and I can't recall whether or not I went "whole track" to fully address "chains". But, yeah, if I was doing lots of earlier-similar with O/W chains, then there would be a good chance that there was imagination entered in with those.

Many of the grade processes were from the Creation of Human Ability, and didn't involve running incidents or going whole track. You know,

"from where could you communicate to a cucumber?" sort of thing.

And the various Rising Scale processes, where one "gets the idea of" various conditions and states, while utilizing the imagination, to me, is totally fine. It is similar to what is done in all sorts of visualization methods. I did really enjoy those.

Now, if you are talking running Route 1, well yes, THAT would be entirely exaggerated imagination. And, Route 1 was actually only done in the old OT 4-6, which as we all know NEVER worked and were taken off of the Grade Chart.

Objectives have nothing to do with imagining anything.

Whole track Dianetics might very well contain a tremendous amount of imagination, where the PC contributes to the content of these supposed "past life engramic experiences". That doesn't mean that the PC doesn't somehow manage to squeeze some benefits out of such things (as long as the later on chain, and current original AESPs are/were real).

Now, once one gets to the implants - the Clearing Course, the OT levels - well then the imagination kicks into overdrive.

I know for me, and some others here also agree (who are also otherwise VERY critical of Hubbard and Scientology), the Lower Grade Chart often produces decent results and even some amazing experiences. Of course, one isn't going "clear" or developing any sort of advanced abilities, and one isn't moving up some chart towards superhuman powers.

But, for me, they were thoroughly enjoyable. The big problem is that the lower auditing actions were misrepresented to be other than they actually were.

I didn't mind blowing a few grand to spend many weeks sitting in a chair combing through my (imaginary) past lives. It was great fun.

What I did mind was all the incredible amounts of bullshit thrown into the mix - both by the organization and by Hubbard's endless fictional embellishments of just about everything.

As even Veda might say, there is good to be had in the lower levels, and it is often these good aspects that act as the bait and that act to hook one into the rest of the scam. If one fails to recognize both the subtleties of the good with the bad, one cannot truly grasp how and why Scientology is so effective as a "theta trap".

But you know that HH, and I know that you know that. :biggrin:

Note: I absolutely loved the blow-outs, the sudden bouts of line-charging, and the sudden increases in brightness, colors and sense of space. I would have imagined anything if it continued to "work" in producing such exaggerated enjoyable states for me.
:dancer:

I hear you and agree about the lower levels, however I got gains from the cc, ot3, ot 4 and 5. I got the most out of 7 of the bunch of OT levels, so it is a bit of a conundrum - was I mocking up BT's to run or actually running them or something else mislabeled as BTs? I got gain, and if it was not from BT's departing, from whence did it spring?

Weird, huh?

Mimsey

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
That is slightly disingenuous and too wide of a generality.

For example, on Grade 2, which I DID get a great deal of relief doing, I spotted and "ran out" many overts and withholds. I didn't make them up, and the details of them were not products of my imagination. This dealt primarily with THIS life, and I can't recall whether or not I went "whole track" to fully address "chains". But, yeah, if I was doing lots of earlier-similar with O/W chains, then there would be a good chance that there was imagination entered in with those.

Many of the grade processes were from the Creation of Human Ability, and didn't involve running incidents or going whole track. You know,

"from where could you communicate to a cucumber?" sort of thing.

And the various Rising Scale processes, where one "gets the idea of" various conditions and states, while utilizing the imagination, to me, is totally fine. It is similar to what is done in all sorts of visualization methods. I did really enjoy those.

Now, if you are talking running Route 1, well yes, THAT would be entirely exaggerated imagination. And, Route 1 was actually only done in the old OT 4-6, which as we all know NEVER worked and were taken off of the Grade Chart.

Objectives have nothing to do with imagining anything.

Whole track Dianetics might very well contain a tremendous amount of imagination, where the PC contributes to the content of these supposed "past life engramic experiences". That doesn't mean that the PC doesn't somehow manage to squeeze some benefits out of such things (as long as the later on chain, and current original AESPs are/were real).

Now, once one gets to the implants - the Clearing Course, the OT levels - well then the imagination kicks into overdrive.

I know for me, and some others here also agree (who are also otherwise VERY critical of Hubbard and Scientology), the Lower Grade Chart often produces decent results and even some amazing experiences. Of course, one isn't going "clear" or developing any sort of advanced abilities, and one isn't moving up some chart towards superhuman powers.

But, for me, they were thoroughly enjoyable. The big problem is that the lower auditing actions were misrepresented to be other than they actually were.

I didn't mind blowing a few grand to spend many weeks sitting in a chair combing through my (imaginary) past lives. It was great fun.

What I did mind was all the incredible amounts of bullshit thrown into the mix - both by the organization and by Hubbard's endless fictional embellishments of just about everything.

As even Veda might say, there is good to be had in the lower levels, and it is often these good aspects that act as the bait and that act to hook one into the rest of the scam. If one fails to recognize both the subtleties of the good with the bad, one cannot truly grasp how and why Scientology is so effective as a "theta trap".

But you know that HH, and I know that you know that. :biggrin:

Agreed on all. Of course there is some sort of "reality" to what the PC talks about in the early stages, but that is imperceptibly and inexorably replaced over time with Hubbard's fully deluded conjurings.

The "imagining" I was referring to was imagining oneself going "Clear" and "OT".

It was all grand 'visualization' and 'manifestation' techniques, common to so many New Age miracle peddlers. Add in a bit of role playing and "VOILA!" There you are, playing around with imaginative constructs, self-induced trances, daydreaming & all other manner of otherwise beautiful creative energies.

Honestly, there is no slightest difference in my mind from the F/Ning glow attendant to auditing as the euphoric rush experienced from playing music, writing a screenplay, hearing a baby laugh, designing a new kitchen or watching a movie.

Last edited:

Gadfly

Crusader
Agreed on all. Of course there is some sort of "reality" to what the PC talks about in the early stages, but that is imperceptibly and inexorably replaced over time with Hubbard's fully deluded conjurings.

The "imagining" I was referring to imagining oneself going "Clear" and "OT".

It was all grand 'visualization' and 'manifestation' techniques, common to so many New Age miracle peddlers. Add in a bit of role playing and "VOILA!" There you are, playing around with imaginative constructs, self-induced trances, daydreaming & all other manner of otherwise beautiful creative energies.

Honestly, there is no slightest difference in my mind from the F/Ning glow attendant to the same euphoric rush experienced from playing music, writing a screenplay, designing a new kitchen or watching a movie.

I see that there is a difference. To me there was and is a difference.

I have written songs, played in bands, and felt the rush of creativity in different arenas.

I have also spent more time than most playing with meditation and specifically, with creative visualization.

Again, I think the statement is too general.

Now it might be true for somebody else that the rush they feel after writing a song is exactly the same as the rush they feel after blowing out in an auditing session. It never was for me. That just isn't part of my own experience. I am a fairly creative person. I can make shit up, and I enjoy doing it.

Now there might be various similarities with watching a movie and auditing, in that focus and attention are being controlled and directed. But shit, you could say that about ANYTHING in life.

Let me try to explain something here. This has something to do with the idea of "as-is" and "making things vanish". Having experienced MANY blow-outs from auditing and similar blow-outs from meditation, and having NEVER experienced anything even remotely similar from ANY creative venture, although there is a RUSH with creative production, here is how I currently make sense of it all.

In auditing one focuses attention, repeatedly, over and over, whether on an engram chain, or on the book and bottle. The auditor assists and makes sure that the attention and focus are finely tuned onto a very specific small area. This causes the mind to lose all else and settle in on one unique area (or thought). Now, while I don't have the view that things vanish because you are "seeing them in exact time, place, form and event", there is something to the idea that things vanish when you look at them fully. But that is not even important to this.

The important part is that you are tightly focused, the attention is down to some specific area or thought, most else is NOT in your awareness, and suddenly the object of your attention goes away. BANG! It is gone. And what is left? Just your unconditioned awareness, without any object.

I have had the same thing happen too many times in various meditations to not recognize the similarity. In fact, in some meditations they state the aim in similar terms. The whole idea behind using a mantra or focusing on a candle flame, is to first, relax, second, settle into a very tight area of focus (of the mind), and then three, suddenly have the mantra or candle flame vanish. One is left observing the observer. One is left aware of only awareness, with no other objects of attention. This is a very NICE experience. It always "feels good".

Hubbard yapped about the "awareness of awareness unit". I think that is an incorrect assignment of meaning. But, as so often with Hubbard, within his distortions and misrepresentations is a germ of truth. Being aware of that which is aware is NOT common, and it is NOT often experienced with all other objects of awareness removed. It happens in meditation. And, it seems to me that this is THE PRIMARY MECHANISM that results in the key-outs, blow-outs and feelings of exteriorization.

In all auditing something goes away and vanishes RIGHT BEFORE the blow out and F/N.

If you can get someone do do that, with auditing or any other method, most will feel quite good about it. Now, calling these experiences "wins" or "gains" is absurd. Hubbard doesn't even accurately explain what is going on. These ARE related to spiritual experiences because "pure awareness" is the common factor in all such experiences. Awareness without any objects. "Self"-awareness with nothing else.

Now, back to creativity. When one creates, he or she is not making something VANISH. One is putting something there. Yes, one may use techniques of the creative imagination to get to this state of vanishing or mental emptiness, but it is NOT at all the same as other adventures in creativity.

I sat yesterday with a few pains and "masses" in my head. So, what did I do? I simply sat there and watched each one, quietly, with eyes closed - until each went away. It took abut 15 minutes, but when I was done, they were all gone. That has to do with the idea that looking at something fully can get it to dissolve and vanish. This idea exists outside of Hubbard's whole as-isness stuff.

This is what I think happens. When a person continues to do OT 5, and then 7, he or she is bringing about this situation where the vanishing happens day after day. One is constantly putting oneself into a state where one is contacting this state of awareness of only ones own awareness. Personally, I don't know why Hubbard didn't just teach his followers to simply create the emptiness at will - but then, the income and control would drop. He couldn't let THAT happen.

You could make up ANY scenario, and "run out" fantasy Hobbit-like adventures along the past track, with unicorns and sword-wielding goblins, and as long as the person is coaxed into imagining and believing that doing so will allow things to vanish, the results will be the same. I think it is this:

It is a natural ability of any person that if you look at any object of the mind or inner space quietly, calmly and with focus, that it will disappear. BANG! So, you can make up ANY method that tricks a person into imagining scenarios where he or she is required to view troublesome aspects of his or her mind. You can call them demons, or engrams, or BTs, or whatever. You can even MAKE THEM UP, where they didn't exist before, and then "address" it so as to make it vanish. Even though it was all a big contrived fiction, it STILL results in the great felling of expansive space and emptiness.

Anyway, that's my current theory. Something is going on with auditing. It is not what most think is going on, and it is not the same as what people feel when they are creatively inspired.

Well, gotta go make some dinner and watch the nightly movie! :stir:

Gib

Crusader
I couldn't find any engrams either, nor go down the track. Auditors got bored with me I bet. No juicy stuff. My PCs however ran engrams really well.

I've pretty much run out the dianetics scientology engram of 26 years. No secordaries per se. Maybe a few locks to handle, but those locks are just really fixed ideas implanted by reading/listening to hubbard and not using critical thinking skills.

The major fixed idea was the unfixing in my mind that there is no bridge to total freedom as there are no clears or OT's. But there is the unsticking of past decisions which is helpful.

Onward and upward I go.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Like a lot of Scientology and Dianetic phenomena, SOME people experienced what LRH advertised from time to time. My point is that the entirety of Scientology is based on Dianetics and Dianetics is based on the existence of the engram and few Scienos have run one. If I grabbed 10 random Scienos in an org and quizzed them about the relief they'd felt after running out all those engrams, I'd probably get a few who experienced some relief at some point or another running some Dianetics. I ran a lot of Dianetics as an auditor but usually the pc's went past track and seemed to enjoy the experience.

What caused the relief? creative processing or real engrams or hypnotically induced relief.:confused2:

I don't think there is anything remotely new about asking someone to relive a moment of stress or grief or embarassment or pain. Certainly not any type of breakthrough in the field of mental healing. More like a style improvement based on a guideline.

When I was a fully indoctrinated Scieno, I assumed the engrams were the basis of my reactive mind and that was why I wasn't more effective at achieving my goals. Engrams were why I wasn't rich and brilliant and a success with the opposite sex.

Looking back. I don't think engrams played much of a role in the way I or anyone else acted.

I'm happy for the folks who ran engrams and had a life changing experience but that's not the point.

Ron bragged with absolute certainty that engrams were the main problem all of us would have to deal with.

I'm thinking that I bought into a complete model of the mind that was bogus. :duh:

And am just now figuring out another piece.

You're very right about it not being new. It was, in fact, first described (that I've seen it) bye Epictetus. Couple thousand years ago.

He's full of interesting quotes. "People are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of them."

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
Well, gotta go make some dinner and watch the nightly movie! :stir:

Ah, you just let OT 10 out of the bag.

You're very right about it not being new. It was, in fact, first described (that I've seen it) bye Epictetus. Couple thousand years ago.

He's full of interesting quotes. "People are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of them."

Oh, oh, the Greeks are back in town. Much of ancient Greek philosophy is well worth the read for anyone not acquainted. They are so "modern".

Boojuum

snip...
It is a natural ability of any person that if you look at any object of the mind or inner space quietly, calmly and with focus, that it will disappear. BANG! So, you can make up ANY method that tricks a person into imagining scenarios where he or she is required to view troublesome aspects of his or her mind. You can call them demons, or engrams, or BTs, or whatever. You can even MAKE THEM UP, where they didn't exist before, and then "address" it so as to make it vanish. Even though it was all a big contrived fiction, it STILL results in the great felling of expansive space and emptiness.

That's a bit closer to what most of us experienced in Scientology. The strange thing is that LRH NEVER wrote about it that way. I suspect LRH understood what you've written but he was so narcissistic he wouldn't admit that engrams or BT's or implants were simply his creation and not the result of LRH's special secret ability to contact the whole track. My theory is that the trap of Scientology is the insistance of a bridge and engrams and BT's and implants which people buy into.

The auditors or course supervisors or word clearers and even ethics officers force one attention on a specific something--mental pictures, dictionary definitions, tone scale positions, service facsimiles, reading items, etc. How often, in wog life, are we forced to really, truly look at anything? Guiding one's attention is one of the major leverage points of Scientology. I'm sure LRH understood this from his days as a hypnotist--the absolute need to be in charge of the individuals attention at all times. Once he controlled our focus, he could apparently work miracles.

Thoughts?

no...

he just continued with research and development