What's new

It's like putting lipstick on a dying pig, isn't it?

NeverMe

Patron
I caught this article today and thought it was interesting - It's definitely NOT flattering. I especially liked one guy's comment on the article. Scroll to the bottom of the page to read it here or on the article web site. It's pretty hilarious and insightful at the same time. HA!

http://www.bnet.com/blog/advertisin...17s-new-ad-campaign-promises-immortality/5839

Scientology’s New Ad Campaign Promises Immortality

By Jim Edwards | September 17, 2010

The Church of Scientology’s new ad campaign suggests that we’re all immortal, and as such is slightly more specific about what the cult-like religion stands for than its previous ads. That’s a significant step for Scientology, which has previously used disingenuous CraigsList ads and a TV campaign that merely promised “the truth” (as long as you show up at one of their centers, of course).

Scientology’s web site has also been significantly revamped, and is now a swirling, animated, video-heavy environment where things keep wobbling out of the way when you try to click on them.

It’s all part of a trend for modern religions. The Mormons also recently launched an ad campaign to get new members. Unable to rely on centuries of religious history, they’re both turning instead to online media to spread the word among the curious.

The new Scientology ad features young, attractive people turning toward a bright light. The narrators say:

This is an invitation to freedom. Man can save his soul. Like a bright, cool dawn after a night of prison.

You are a spirit. You are your own soul. You are not mortal. You can be free. You have been invited.

Say what you like, but immortality is a unique selling proposition. It also explains why Tom Cruise doesn’t seem to be getting any older. It’s a bit mysterious as to how, exactly, we can all become The Highlander, which speaks to an internal marketing problem at Scientology. The church is not deliberately keeping its beliefs secret. Rather, Scientology creates all its advertising in-house, using members who eat and breathe Scientology 24/7, and they lose their objectivity and fail to connect with people outside the church, according to Steve Hall, a former marketing chief for the organization. The church also inexplicably fails to utilize the talents of Cruise or other members with marketing experience, and it doesn’t deal with outside advertising agencies who could bring some consumer perspective to the client.

If you’re interested in the church’s outlandish creed, you can start here or here. Once you’ve read all that, you can see why it won’t fit into a 30-second spot.

---------------------------------- And my favorite comment is by a guy calling himself ripped off

RE: Scientology's New Ad Campaign Promises Immortality

It's like putting lipstick on a dying pig, isn't it. Their books may have new glossy covers and their centers "look" high tech.....but it's the same old recycled garbage hoping to draw in new flies. Only this time the flies have been warned. In the age of transparency.....stinking garbage.....is stinking garbage. Thanks for getting the word out......L Ron Hubbard is beginning to stink like a rotting corpse......no matter how many shiny bows and whistles they put on him.
ZDNet Gravatar
rippedoff

Last edited:

Wisened One

Crusader
Beautiful commercial (of course). Nice how they're using some of the quotes from one of the articles in one of the Ron's Mags. I remember when I first read that...it blew me away.

And also a little funny how they're using 'come into the light' principals, too. Especially when Ron states in his advanced lectures: 'Don't go into the Light when you die'.

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
Beautiful commercial (of course). Nice how they're using some of the quotes from one of the articles in one of the Ron's Mags. I remember when I first read that...it blew me away.

And also a little funny how they're using 'come into the light' principals, too. Especially when Ron states in his advanced lectures: 'Don't go into the Light when you die'.

I think Ron went to the light. Haven't heard from him since he left. Unless, that is, he "walked in" to Miscavige.