What's new

Jan 8th Rathbun Hearing

Lone Star

Crusader
Next actual hearing isn't until the 24th. Today Ray Jeffrey submits a request for discovery, or something to that effect. Tomorrow the Judge responds.

I forgot to add a thought.....Cedillo tried very hard yesterday to prove that the discovery that Ray is requesting isn't necessary or even proper for the anti-SLAPP motion. The fact that the Judge is allowing Ray to put in a request for more discovery today indicates to me that Cedillo failed. We'll know for sure tomorrow. I fully expect now that the Judge will not only reiterate that DM can be deposed, but will be giving a deadline to get it scheduled.

phenomanon

Canyon
Nothing can be done to change that, it's on the direct order of the 'pope'.

They were swarming all over the LA Courthouse when OT111 was being released to the Court. I was asked what i was there for, who i was going to see, I was followed wherever I went.

Same shit. Different day.

phenomanon

Canyon
"in Mazer v. Stein, 347 U.S. 201, 217 (1954), the Supreme Court stated "Unlike a patent, a copyright gives no exclusive right to the art disclosed; protection is given only to the expression of the idea—not the idea itself."

Cedillo said "CO$ had right to have PIs to determine whether Marty was delivering services in Violation of Copyright".

My understanding is that the written word is copyrighted. The idea and its use is not.

So why did Cedillo say this?

In the 1986 "FAIR" class action suit some 400, mostly FZers , were complaining that CO$ was trying to prevent people practicing Scn.
Michael Flynn was the lawyer.

Where did the idea come from that it was mostly " Freezoners" who participated in the FAIR Class Action Fiasco?

We were not Freezoners. We were Independent Scn'ists ( not "Indies"). The "Freezone" was Capt Bill and

The PPl who instigated the FAIR Class Action were simply those of us who had defected from COS, were mad as hell, and weren't gonna take it anymore.

The suit was a Fail because Michael Flynn dumped the case on a couple of incompetent lawyers who had no fooking clue what was happening. Michael Flynn represented a number of ex- Scn'ists who were sueing COS individually, and Flynn settled these cases, and fled the scene, thus leaving the FAIR suit hanging.
The suit was eventually not accepted by the Court for reasons of failures to revise, etc etc. ( There were many different and seperate issues, and the new lawyers couldn't get a handle on writing an acceptable suit).

So, NO, Terrill. We were NOT "Freezoners".
he had very very few followers at the time of the FAIR suit.

phenomanon aka challenge

AnonKat

Crusader
On Tony's blog

Eivol Ekdal
• 2 hours ago

In Bennitt's short video does Judge Dib actually say "Quiet Time Please" just before it cuts at the end?
http://makegif.com/gq1f.gif

gq1f.gif

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm sure Jeffersons objection pointed out to the judge, inadvertantly, just WHO IS running Scientology.

This judge isn't sitting there with blinders on, instead he has highly tuned radar that can spot inconsistencies from 500 yards.

This is an important case where the outcome, because of the Anti SLAPP, will affect the whole legal system where this law is applied.

I'm sure Judge Waldrip doesn't want to open the gate for corporations to rape the private individual mercilessly in a coutroom where fairness, as far as this law would be concerned, is non-existent and results in a "fair game" policy for corporations.

There is a concept in the law called "Willful blindness". You cannot be the Commander-In-Chief(so to speak) and "not know" what corruption/evil deeds/revenge tactics are being carried out under your nose ~~ because you are busy cutting ribbons in 1 hour ceremonies of "ideal orgs".

Remember the line in Shakespeare by the King ? "Will no one rid me of this Meddlesome Priest?".....The King did not want to know how the meddlesome priest was gotten rid off, he just wanted it done....(pink legs)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willful_blindness

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
. . .
Yea, I guess this thread is ancient history now . . . per Internet time, but my comment belongs here anyways.

Watching cable news today brought something into clear view once again.

And pardon me for preaching to the choir just a bit.

-----------------------------------------------

Chris Christie . . . how an innocent person handles controversy and a personal attack

[Let's just give him the benefit of the doubt and say he is innocent of all wrongdoing like he claims to be.]

Gets up in front of a public mic and declares he is innocent, free from any wrongdoing, knew nothing, was lied to by others. No emails exist that would show otherwise. Fronts up.

Cleans house: fires two junior staff for their inappropriate acts.

Does a quick one-day whirlwind apology tour with his public.

Being the head guy, takes personal responsibility.

Controversy over. [Theoretically.]

David Miscavige . . . how a guilty person handles controversy and a personal attack

Being the head guy, refuses to get up in front of a mic and make a statement to put the matter to bed.

Hires 20 lawyers to hide behind.

Is willing to burn millions of hard working people's money along the way.

Is willing to stay in the court system for 10 years if that's what it takes.

-----------------------------------------------

How transparent! I can't say more.

I guess the most amazing thing of all for me is that anyone who is still in the COS and supporting DM (and I hate to be so deriding of another :omg: ) must be dumb as rocks after all that's been revealed.

And I feel bad for them.

Last edited:

TG1

Angelic Poster
Sloth, thanks for that Letterman memory. Smart, classy, effective.

Here's where the analogy fails:

3,000,000 people watch Letterman on television every night.

2,000 people come to hear Miscavige speak once a year.

People like Letterman. Miscavige, not so much.

Letterman can apologize for having sex with colleagues years ago (when he was single) and be "forgiven." Make that admired.

If Miscavige apologized for lying, extorting, commiting assault and battery, imprisoning hundreds of people illegally or years, enforcing hundreds of abortions and thousands of divorces and family breakups, committing multiple frauds, breaking IRS laws and regulations, and committing RICO crimes, he'd go to jail for a long, long time.

Last edited:
Sloth, thanks for that Letterman memory. Smart, classy, effective.

Here's where the analogy fails:

3,000,000 people watch Letterman on television every night.

2,000 people come to hear Miscavige speak once a year.

People like Letterman. Miscavige, not so much.

Letterman can apologize for having sex with colleagues years ago (when he single) and be "forgiven." Make that admired.

If Miscavige apologized for lying, extorting, commiting assault and battery, imprisoning hundreds of people illegally or years, enforcing hundreds of abortions and thousands of divorces and family breakups, committing multiple frauds, breaking IRS laws and regulations, and committing RICO crimes, he'd go to jail for a long, long time.
I thought he was married. See this:
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen," David Letterman said upon taking the stage at Manhattan's Ed Sullivan Theater on Oct. 5. "Are you sure you want to be seen with me?" The line scored a laugh—but at an earlier taping that day, the room had fallen silent as the Late Show host delivered a candid apology that followed his stunning Oct. 1 admission that he had been sexually involved with female staffers on his show. "I'm terribly sorry," he said, adding that his wife, Regina Lasko, "has been horribly hurt by my behavior, and when something happens like that ... you try to fix it.... So let me tell you folks: I got my work cut out for me."
Three years after his embarrassing sex scandal was exposed, David Letterman says he’s still trying to regain his wife Regina Lasko’s trust – and blames nobody but himself for the drama.

In a rare sit-down interview, Letterman opened up to Oprah Winfrey about his 2009 admission that he had sex with women who worked for him on “Late Show With David Letterman,” including his assistant Stephanie Birkitt, who regularly appeared on the late-night show.

"I have no one to blame but myself," the 65-year-old comedian said on Sunday’s “Oprah’s Next Chapter.” “I think if you’re going to have a flow chart of the responsibility for this circumstance, this sex scandal, my name is at the top. I’m not sure what it means, but I’m taking responsibly for it, trying to atone for it.”

Letterman talked about coming clean to Lasko, which became necessary when a producer for CBS’s “48 Hours” – who was dating Birkitt – threatened to write a screenplay about the host’s infidelities unless he paid him $2 million. Noting “that was not a good day,” Letterman revealed that he “wasn’t certain at the time” whether Lasko, whom he married only six months before the scandal broke, would stay with him. When asked if Lasko made him sleep on the couch after he admitted his affairs, he told Winfrey, “I slept in a wide variety of places.”

While Letterman says Lasko – who is the mother of his 9-year-old son, Harry – has forgiven him and that their relationship “is never better,” he hasn’t forgiven himself. “No, I don’t have that luxury,” he said. “I can’t forgive that behavior.” And he adds that he’s been working “each and every day” to right his wrongs. “I’m still trying to fix it. It hasn’t gone away. It will never go away.”

But not living with the lies has made his marriage better. “My life is fun and full of joy now – I only pretended it before,” he said.

Read more: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...fter-cheating-on-my-wife-201381#ixzz2px3jhMJS

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Letterman can apologize for having sex with colleagues years ago (when he single)....
He can do this only in uptight america. Elsewhere the people would be bored as hell and switch to an other channel.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Thanks, Mimsey. Although he wasn't married when he had the "affairs," he was certainly in a committed relationship and living with his future wife with whom he'd long ago had a son.

That probably made his coming clean publicly a lot tougher.

Thanks, Mimsey. Although he wasn't married when he had the "affairs," he was certainly in a committed relationship and living with his future wife with whom he'd long ago had a son.

That probably made his coming clean publicly a lot tougher.

More from Wiki Mimsey

Marriages, relationships, and family[edit]

In 1969, Letterman married Michelle Cook; the marriage ended by divorce in 1977.[107] He also had a relationship with former head writer and producer on Late Night, Merrill Markoe. Markoe was the mind behind several Late Night staples, such as "Stupid Pet/Human Tricks".[citation needed]

Letterman and Regina Lasko started dating in 1986. He has a son, Harry Joseph Letterman (born on November 3, 2003), with Regina Lasko. Harry is named after Letterman's father.[108] In 2005, police discovered a plot to kidnap Harry Letterman and ransom him for $5 million. Kelly Frank, a house painter who had worked for Letterman, was charged in the conspiracy.[109]

Letterman and Lasko wed on March 19, 2009, during a quiet courthouse civil ceremony in Choteau, Montana, where he purchased a ranch in 1999.[110][111][112] Letterman announced the marriage during the taping of his March 23 show, shortly after congratulating Bruce Willis for getting married the previous week. Letterman told the audience he nearly missed the ceremony because his truck became stuck in mud two miles from their house.[113] The family resides in North Salem, New York, on a 108-acre estate.[114]

\Extortion attempt and revelation of affairs [edit]

On his October 1, 2009, show, Letterman announced that he had been the victim of an extortion attempt by someone threatening to reveal that he had sex with several of his female employees, and at the same time, he confirmed that he had such relationships.[117] He stated that three weeks earlier (on September 9, 2009) someone had left a package in his car with material he said he would write into a screenplay and a book if Letterman did not pay him $2 million. Letterman said that he contacted the Manhattan District Attorney's office, ultimately cooperating with them to conduct a sting operation involving giving the man a phony check.[118] Subsequently, Robert J. "Joe" Halderman, a producer of the CBS true crime journalism series 48 Hours, was arrested after trying to deposit the check. He was indicted by a Manhattan grand jury and pleaded not guilty to a charge of attempted grand larceny on October 2, 2009.[119] Eventually, on March 9, 2010, he pleaded guilty to this same felony and served a 6-month jail sentence, followed by probation and community service.[120]

A central figure in the case and one of the women Letterman had a sexual relationship with was his longtime personal assistant Stephanie Birkitt, who often appeared with him on his show. She had also worked for 48 Hours.[121] Until a month prior to the revelations, she had shared a residence with Halderman,[122] who allegedly had copied her personal diary and used it, along with private emails, in the blackmail package.[123]

In the days following the initial announcement of the affairs and the arrest, several prominent women, including Kathie Lee Gifford, co-host of NBC's Today Show, and NBC news anchor Ann Curry questioned whether Letterman's affairs with subordinates created an unfair working environment.[124] A spokesman for Worldwide Pants said that the company's sexual harassment policy did not prohibit sexual relationships between managers and employees.[125] According to business news reporter Eve Tahmincioglu, "CBS suppliers are supposed to follow the company's business conduct policies" and the CBS 2008 Business Conduct Statement states that "If a consenting romantic or sexual relationship between a supervisor and a direct or indirect subordinate should develop, CBS requires the supervisor to disclose this information to his or her Company's Human Resources Department..."[126]

On October 5, 2009, Letterman devoted a segment of his show to a public apology to his wife and staff.[127][128] Three days later, Worldwide Pants announced that Birkitt had been placed on a "paid leave of absence" from the Late Show.[129] On October 15, CBS News announced that the company's Chief Investigative Correspondent, Armen Keteyian, had been assigned to conduct an "in-depth investigation" into Halderman's blackmail of Letterman.[130]

On October 3, 2009, a former CBS employee, Holly Hester, announced that she and Letterman had engaged in a year-long "secret" affair in the early 1990s while she was his intern and a student at New York University.[131]

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Video:Anti SLAPP Hearing Monique Rathbun v David Miscavige and Scientology

[video=vimeo;83748525]http://vimeo.com/83748525[/video]

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Jan 8th Rathbun Hearing - Texas Media Coverage - Fox25 San Antonio

It's a shame that so far no Texas TV station or even major newspaper has reported on this story. The only statewide news source that has is the Texas Observer, which is a left leaning magazine so it's readership is not widespread demographically speaking.

The last piece they did was back in September.....

http://www.texasobserver.org/scient...ight-sparks-epic-showdown-comal-county-court/

There are some very good comments at the bottom of the article.

Guess the folks at Fox25 San Antonio found an angle...

"Former SA lawyer takes over defense in Scientology case" by Matari Jones...

Excerpt:

NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas -- A prominent lawyer from San Antonio is taking center stage in a major case involving the Church of Scientology.

Former Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice Wallace Jefferson was in a New Braunfels courtroom Wednesday defending the Church of Scientology against harassment charges.

Jefferson is now taking the lead for the defense in a trial involving the Church of Scientology and a San Antonio-area couple. Pre-trial motions are taking place in New Braunfels this week in the case of Monique Rathbun vs David Miscavige and the Church of Scientology.

But they didn't get an interview with him...:lol:

Lawyers for the Church of Scientology declined to be interviewed for this story. A judge has ordered David Miscavige to give a deposition in the case. So far, he has not complied and is asking the judge to reconsider.

Link: http://www.foxsanantonio.com/news/f...fense-scientology-case-945.shtml#.Us9M57SMk7w

JB

TG1

Angelic Poster
Fuck me!

So Cedillo has been fired as CoS lead counsel, and Wallace Jefferson is taking over as lead trial counsel for the Cos.

Firing lead counsel DURING a trial is analogous in legal circles to a Presidential impeachment in political circles.

That will make this BIG NEWS in Texas legal circles and get the attention of every big newspaper in the Lone Star State.

Brilliant move, Miscavige.

:roflmao:

TG1

P.S. This just proves Miscavige plans to fight Mosey in appellate chambers, not in the trial court.

P.P.S. I dunno how much actual trial experience Wallace Jefferson has had. But being a judge is not NEARLY the same thing as being a trial lawyer and litigating before a jury. If it turns out he actually has to litigate this before a jury in Comal County, he may stumble badly.

To Ricardo Cedillo;

Confusion condition assignment:

Reason: Saying I have a black heart on record.
Formulae: Find out who the Fuck you are working for you CICS!!!!
YS YS YS YS YS YS YS!!!!!!!!!

Highest ARC,

COB

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Fuck me!

So Cedillo has been fired as CoS lead counsel, and Wallace Jefferson is taking over as lead trial counsel for the Cos.

Firing lead counsel DURING a trial is analogous in legal circles to a Presidential impeachment in political circles.

That will make this BIG NEWS in Texas legal circles and get the attention of every big newspaper in the Lone Star State.

Brilliant move, Miscavige.

:roflmao:

TG1

P.S. This just proves Miscavige plans to fight Mosey in appellate chambers, not in the trial court.

P.P.S. I dunno how much actual trial experience Wallace Jefferson has had. But being a judge is not NEARLY the same thing as being a trial lawyer and litigating before a jury. If it turns out he actually has to litigate this before a jury in Comal County, he may stumble badly.

I suspect this article is incorrect, so it might be best not to believe what's written at this point.

While the article does say Wallace Jefferson is "center stage" and the headline says "takes over defense", I think these are sloppy phrases, not verified facts.

That Wallace Jefferson has taken over "the defense" (<---singular) offers a first great clue that the article's author and editor(s) have simply lumped all of the defendants together as one - calling it "David Miscavige and the Church of Scientology". <---second great clue.

Further, the article doesn't mention who Mr. Jefferson took over from or that anyone was fired.
Because the article states: "lawyers for the Church of Scientology declined to be interviewed for this story", it seems as if the article's author and editor(s) 'winged it'. To their shame and their readers loss.

Ricardo Cedillo is the attorney of record for CSI.

Lamont Jefferson is the attorney of record for RTC and David Miscavige...along with Wallace Jefferson and Rachel Ekery as of December 18, 2013.

Until there's a press conference announcing such a development, I don't think this poorly-worded article should be relied upon.

JB - hoping Fox25 San Antonio will clarify soon. :)

Last edited: