What's new

Jerry O'Connell Is Still Hiding from Tom Cruise and Scientology

Lone Star

Crusader
From the HuffPost....

In one of the more memorable assertions that was popularized by the 2015 HBO-released documentary "Going Clear," Tom Cruise is worshipped by the Church of Scientology as a sort of living god, who deserves to be given whatever his perhaps not mortal heart desires.

Cars, parties, women trained to be his ideal girlfriend -- the Church gifts them to Cruise.

Keeping that in mind, it's understandable that actor Jerry O'Connell has lived life in fear ever since he teamed up in 2008 with Funny or Die to parody Cruise's recently leaked Scientology recruitment video.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ae5b6d0d?cps=gravity_5119_2856724565075037680

Lone Star

Crusader
Jerry O'Connell is very cool,

Great, funny Vid....he can really mimic Tom Cruise...:biggrin:

I didn't realize until this article that O'Connell played that young quarterback in the movie Jerry Maquire. I kept thinking that there was something familiar about him back when his first parody video came out.

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
56325544190000a600b9539a.jpeg

Tom's cheek implants are really popping in this photo. Gad, these things always look so bad when they start stretching the skin on either side of the nose. Perhaps he got bigger ones implanted lately? Or maybe they have a type nowadays that are injectable - for when the celebrity wants to get "pumped up"!

Lone Star

Crusader
56325544190000a600b9539a.jpeg

Tom's cheek implants are really popping in this photo. Gad, these things always look so bad when they start stretching the skin on either side of the nose. Perhaps he got bigger ones implanted lately? Or maybe they have a type nowadays that are injectable - for when the celebrity wants to get "pumped up"!

These celebs who color their hair crack me up, as TC is obviously doing. They'll have the face of a 50 to 70+ year old with the hair of a 20 year old.

Looks ridiculous.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
These celebs who color their hair crack me up, as TC is obviously doing. They'll have the face of a 50 to 70+ year old with the hair of a 20 year old.

Looks ridiculous.

Oh, crap! I was recently considering hair color. Will I look ridiculous? :coolwink:
The young lady at Great Clips told me "No! Don't do it!".
She said then I will have to continue regular hair coloring fixes every 2 weeks, or so.

(What do the Ladies here have to say?) :melodramatic:

Last edited:

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
I still get my own hair colored. And I support men who wish to do so.

You would not need to have it done every two weeks! That would be extremely often. Some of how often you have to get it "touched up" or redone depends on how fast your hair grows. Mine grows pretty fast. Thus, I always have lighter colored "streaks" put in, especially around the front. Women have a lot more leeway with this kind of stuff.

What you would want to avoid is have one color all over and having it be too dark. We ladies are advised to go lighter as we get older. So my "streaks" are a honey-blondish color. Don't know how that would look on a guy.

Oh, and some of it depends on your hair style. Any style with a defined part is the worst for showing "grown in gray".

Two great products for touchups: There are these little "touch up wands" you can purchase and use to color the area around your face and on a part line. These look like a mascara but they contain permanent hair dye. (You can also just buy a package of Nice and Easy or whatever in your lightest color, mix a little up in a glass and apply it yourself with a toothbrush. You have to time it.)

A second product, and one that I really like and prefer over the hair color is a specialty product by Joan Rivers Cosmetics (RIP). This is a compact that contains a colored, pressed "hair powder" - comes in three shades, I think - and you get a brush with it. Kind of like a wide makeup brush. You tap your brush into the pressed powder and then apply the powder to the grown in area. This stuff is fabulous - it holds up well, doesn't run or anything like that. Joan also advised that women with thinning hair use it right on the scalp. It kind of reminds you of a pressed powdered eye shadow compact. (Any of the gals here who already have some pressed matte brown eye shadow could try using it for this, just to see how cool this is. Don't know if it would hold up as well, though. It is Joan's brush that makes it really easy to apply correctly, though. The brush is almost 3/4" wide and has fairly short bristles. Works great.)

This is just some basic info. If your hair dresser said you would look good, trust her. Or, see if she can do something temporary so you can try it out.

I know a guy who does his own coloring at home with whatever they have on the market for men. His actually does not look bad. He must keep up with it, because he never seems to have that "reddish" coloration look some guys get from that stuff. Or maybe he just doesn't have any red pigmentation in his hair.

In my own opinion, once you are starting to color a lot of gray, you're better off to let a professional do it.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
<snip>

I know a guy who does his own coloring at home with whatever they have on the market for men. His actually does not look bad. He must keep up with it, because he never seems to have that "reddish" coloration look some guys get from that stuff. Or maybe he just doesn't have any red pigmentation in his hair.
<snip>

That's another thing that puzzles me. Hair is just hair.
Why are there different hair color products for men and women?
I don't get it. (Couldn't I use one that is labelled for women?)

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
That's another thing that puzzles me. Hair is just hair.
Why are there different hair color products for men and women?
I don't get it. (Couldn't I use one that is labelled for women?)

Yes, of course you could. Hair is hair. I think men don't want to be seen buying hair color for women, that's all.

When you get color at a salon they mix the color - sort of like getting paint tinted. The stylist then records the formula and keeps it on file for future use. You can give the stylist feedback, such as "it was a bit too dark" or light or whatever. And, yes, they use the same product for both men and women.

Even though it looks like there are a lot of colors available in the boxed products sold in drugstores, etc. there are many, many more colors available by having it custom mixed.

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
I was wondering if that was really him and then I looked at his two "front" teeth.
Funny how his two front teeth can look at the camera, even when he isn't.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that's noticed that his two front teeth are off center. I find it unnerving.

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
Oh, crap! I was recently considering hair color. Will I look ridiculous? :coolwink:
She said then I will have to continue regular hair coloring fixes every 2 weeks, or so.

I'm not a lady (LOL) but it's always very obvious when a guy had colored his hair. The results look fake and unnatural and unbecoming sometimes with weird magenta or green sheen to it. My philosophy is age gracefully and allow your hair to do it's natural thing.

Don't get me started on guys that dye their hair that weird looking platinum blond color like Guy Fieri does. What's up with that? He looks like hell.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
I'm not a lady (LOL) but it's always very obvious when a guy had colored his hair. The results look fake and unnatural and unbecoming sometimes with weird magenta or green sheen to it. My philosophy is age gracefully and allow your hair to do it's natural thing.

Don't get me started on guys that dye their hair that weird looking platinum blond color like Guy Fieri does. What's up with that? He looks like hell.

Yes, it's obvious when they use black. :coolwink:

I would pick a very light brown color.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

The toupée that you can't spot in about two seconds flat hasn't been invented yet. Hair colouring for men isn't far behind. If they ever did come up with a product that looked lifelike and realistic maybe I'd say go for it, but failing that, personally I'd give it a miss. To me it just screams 'bogus' and 'fake', and I mean the person wearing it, as you are really trying to mislead and conceal something aren't you? (Not you personally).

What's wrong with grey hair anyway?

Last edited:

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
There are not a whole lot of over-the-counter hair coloring products specifically aimed at men out there. Grecian Formula is the old standby. I think it is a "one color fits all" kind of product. I don't know how that could possibly work.

So, for do it yourself, look to the women's products. The good news is there are "color remover" products out there nowadays. So if you absolutely hate the outcome, you can do a reverse process. Tip: If you do it yourself and don't like the outcome, defin itely go to a salon for any color stripping, color reversal process. These are chemicals. Let someone who knows how to use these chemicals do any reverse processing should you need it.

"There's too much red in it" is a common complaint when coloring hair. In blondes it will be referred to as "being too brassy". Hair dye chemicals have a tendency to "bring out the reds" in hair. More so in som
e people than others. A good stylist knows how to account for this by using a "toner".

Remember, these stylists go to school to learn about these things. We don't.

HerPe are photos of some of the top male movie stars over the age of 60: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055689936/
Presumably these guys have the money to pay the best stylists in town to deal with their hair.

Stratty, I agree that men with graying and all gray hair have a tendency to look good. Distinguished. There is the "Silver Fox" aspect to it. Richard Gere, Donald Sutherland, and many other older actors look wonderful. But these guys are not trying to hang onto a franchise as an "action hero".

Women with graying hair, not so much. Every once in a while you see a younger woman with a full head of silver hair who looks wonderful. But in most women, gray hair does not seem to be perceived as being particularly attractive, especially when it starts thinning out.